SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:29 am

Texasboundanddown wrote:
squ1rtle wrote:yea I got everything approved already, all mpns done, counseling done. I actually spoke to Stan Eddy in person last week, at first he could not find my name on the gradplus approval list but after searching for 5minutes was able to find it. I think they lost my paperwork or something. So I'm just left waiting.


Heyyy, same with me. I think our MPN's were just momentarily forgotten about. When I called they assured me that it was a mistake and that they would try and get it done quickly. Probably alot of people in the same boat. I'd say just wait a few more days then go up and ask them about it again.

Well, another morning with nothing. I am officially pissed off. Way to go, SMU. It's so nice to be second-guessing my choice before classes start. This situation is completely unacceptable. I'll be heading over there in a few minutes. I'll let you guys know what I find out. I'm not leaving that office without something concrete.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:47 am

My SF eSpace hasn't even updated with a disbursed refund yet. It can't be that difficult in this day and age.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:49 am

kalvano wrote:My SF eSpace hasn't even updated with a disbursed refund yet. It can't be that difficult in this day and age.

No shit, buddy. I believe this is 2010.

User avatar
lawschoolhopeful189
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:06 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby lawschoolhopeful189 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:10 am

Well, the bookstore finally processed my order... but the bluebook interactive manual is on backorder. I can't find it in stock anywhere online either. Anyone know of a place it is in stock?

When I swing by to pick up my books later I'll ask them when they expect to receive it.


I was there yesterday and was informed that they would have the interactive manual in by next week, hopefully.

User avatar
wellington
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby wellington » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:22 am

My loan money showed up in the bank this morning. Good luck to the rest of you guys, hope you get yours asap!

nontradintexas
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:01 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby nontradintexas » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:40 am

wellington wrote:My loan money showed up in the bank this morning. Good luck to the rest of you guys, hope you get yours asap!



+1

callingsarah
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby callingsarah » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:46 am

Sooooo Wellington or nontrad, which one of you wants to buy me lunch? :)

Haha, to everyone else out there-- i called fin aid. This morning I'm still showing no credit-- both in sf and my bank account. She said they are currently working on it (DUH) and that the disbursements will come on a rolling basis as one of the 2L said above. She said they couldn't give us an exact time when, because it could be happening right then--BS, of course, although I checked Access again while we were talking. And-- again, as I think someone already stated-- they have 14 days from the 10th to distribute to everybody. She said it never takes them that long... guess we shall see.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:48 am

I don't believe you. No one ever gets through to real, live, knowledgeable person when they call financial aid.

callingsarah
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby callingsarah » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:55 am

kalvano wrote:I don't believe you. No one ever gets through to real, live, knowledgeable person when they call financial aid.

i'm not sure how, but I always have... and they're usually pretty friendly, too.

callingsarah
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby callingsarah » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:02 am

callingsarah wrote:
kalvano wrote:I don't believe you. No one ever gets through to real, live, knowledgeable person when they call financial aid.

i'm not sure how, but I always have... and they're usually pretty friendly, too.

BTW I always have to giggle a little when I see your "hot chick" avatar... Pretty sure she looks totally topless, despite her frilly stuff. Did someone choose a porn star to represent him??? Hahahahaha

texasforever
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby texasforever » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:07 am

I gotz moneyz

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:27 am

I'm editing the last message to sound like less of a whiny brat. Basically, they're working on it. It sounds like most of us should have our money by Monday.
Last edited by chrisokc on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:33 am

Apparently SMU is pretty bad with financial aid.

tinyone
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby tinyone » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:44 am

Any 2L have a recommendation on which Black's Law Dictionary to buy? The deluxe 9th ed. is $121.77 on Amazon but the pocket and abridged versions are significantly cheaper. Is it worth the extra money to buy the deluxe ed?

nontradintexas
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:01 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby nontradintexas » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:58 am

tinyone wrote:Any 2L have a recommendation on which Black's Law Dictionary to buy? The deluxe 9th ed. is $121.77 on Amazon but the pocket and abridged versions are significantly cheaper. Is it worth the extra money to buy the deluxe ed?


I use the pocket edition. If there is a word that is not in that, it can be found online.

FWIW - if you don't want to spend the cash, you can probably just google anything you need to find. I liked the convenience of having the book, though, so I didn't have to have the laptop close by while I was reading. Not having laptop close = not being distracted by internet.

Black's is something you'll use incessantly for about a month, sporadically for the next month or two, and rarely after that. I still use it, but not very often. It's a nice security blanket to have sitting on my desk.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:16 pm

nontradintexas wrote:
tinyone wrote:Any 2L have a recommendation on which Black's Law Dictionary to buy? The deluxe 9th ed. is $121.77 on Amazon but the pocket and abridged versions are significantly cheaper. Is it worth the extra money to buy the deluxe ed?


I use the pocket edition. If there is a word that is not in that, it can be found online.

FWIW - if you don't want to spend the cash, you can probably just google anything you need to find. I liked the convenience of having the book, though, so I didn't have to have the laptop close by while I was reading. Not having laptop close = not being distracted by internet.

Black's is something you'll use incessantly for about a month, sporadically for the next month or two, and rarely after that. I still use it, but not very often. It's a nice security blanket to have sitting on my desk.

They had quite a few legal dictionaries at Half Price Books on NW Hwy. That place is huge.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:25 pm

You think it's worthwhile to go by the FA office and complain?

I can't wait 14 days for them to get their stuff together.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23854
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Thirteen » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:33 pm

kalvano wrote:You think it's worthwhile to go by the FA office and complain?

I can't wait 14 days for them to get their stuff together.


I went yesterday. It's a waste of time.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:35 pm

kalvano wrote:You think it's worthwhile to go by the FA office and complain?

I can't wait 14 days for them to get their stuff together.

I don't think you'll be waiting that long. It might be worthwhile to stop by if all you're wanting a more definite answer as to when you can expect the money. I know they can at least tell you if the final steps have been processed or not. Talk to a counselor, though. Those kids answering the phone are just giving stock responses to everyone who calls.

User avatar
Iconoclast
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Iconoclast » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:10 pm

lawschoolhopeful189 wrote:
Well, the bookstore finally processed my order... but the bluebook interactive manual is on backorder. I can't find it in stock anywhere online either. Anyone know of a place it is in stock?

When I swing by to pick up my books later I'll ask them when they expect to receive it.


I was there yesterday and was informed that they would have the interactive manual in by next week, hopefully.


I got a different answer than you did. The guy told me that it probably wouldn't be in until after classes start. He said it shouldn't be a problem, and they had informed the professors quite a while ago that it wouldn't be available when classes started.

I guess we'll see.

On a positive note, it took me a total of about 5 minutes from the time I walked in the door in the Park 'n Pony office until I was walking back out with my shiny new ID card in hand.

DavidB
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:28 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby DavidB » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:21 pm

Iconoclast wrote:...On a positive note, it took me a total of about 5 minutes from the time I walked in the door in the Park 'n Pony office until I was walking back out with my shiny new ID card in hand.

I just returned from getting my ID and can confirm it was fast and painless.

Had I know the backdrop was blue I would not have worn a blue shirt. My head looks like it is levitating in space.

tinyone
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby tinyone » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:22 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
lawschoolhopeful189 wrote:
Well, the bookstore finally processed my order... but the bluebook interactive manual is on backorder. I can't find it in stock anywhere online either. Anyone know of a place it is in stock?

When I swing by to pick up my books later I'll ask them when they expect to receive it.


I was there yesterday and was informed that they would have the interactive manual in by next week, hopefully.


I got a different answer than you did. The guy told me that it probably wouldn't be in until after classes start. He said it shouldn't be a problem, and they had informed the professors quite a while ago that it wouldn't be available when classes started.

I guess we'll see.

On a positive note, it took me a total of about 5 minutes from the time I walked in the door in the Park 'n Pony office until I was walking back out with my shiny new ID card in hand.



I picked up my books this morning and was told that it wouldn't be in until the end of the month. Also, if anyone is waiting on the Civ Pro supplement in Sec. 2 that is not going to be available until September.

nontradintexas
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:01 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby nontradintexas » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:36 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
lawschoolhopeful189 wrote:
Well, the bookstore finally processed my order... but the bluebook interactive manual is on backorder. I can't find it in stock anywhere online either. Anyone know of a place it is in stock?

When I swing by to pick up my books later I'll ask them when they expect to receive it.


I was there yesterday and was informed that they would have the interactive manual in by next week, hopefully.


I got a different answer than you did. The guy told me that it probably wouldn't be in until after classes start. He said it shouldn't be a problem, and they had informed the professors quite a while ago that it wouldn't be available when classes started.

I guess we'll see.

On a positive note, it took me a total of about 5 minutes from the time I walked in the door in the Park 'n Pony office until I was walking back out with my shiny new ID card in hand.


- Good news - if the LRWA professors know something has not been available in the book store they are not going to assign you anything from it.
- Bad news - if they were going to assign you something from it, you'll have to double up later on.
- Who's to say??

(The last line will make sense/be funny to you after Tuesday.)

callingsarah
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby callingsarah » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:13 pm

To those of you who got your funds-- did your disburement page say something about a check, or use the nickname you'd given your account? I had set up for direct deposit but it says check next to my disbursement stuff...

User avatar
bcb1986
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:36 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby bcb1986 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:50 pm

nontradintexas wrote:- Good news - if the LRWA professors know something has not been available in the book store they are not going to assign you anything from it.
- Bad news - if they were going to assign you something from it, you'll have to double up later on.
- Who's to say??

(The last line will make sense/be funny to you after Tuesday.)


Tuesday it will irritate you.
Wednesday this will make it funny: --LinkRemoved--
Compliments of Jason Derulo.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, caitlinrw, cathy95, mav1993, myronbolitar, nathjf, oliviaj_j, potterotter and 16 guests