SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:05 pm

nontradintexas wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:It's still a little confusing.

My number is currently negative and is a result of fall disbursement aid and deposits paid less the tuition and fees. Is this just a current projection and not an indication that tuition is paid? I'm seeing "no credits are issued" under the Refund Disbursement Summary, so I'm assuming I'm still playing the waiting game.

At my undergrad., what would happen is that I would have a balance due on my student account. Then, the aid would get applied and I would have a credit, or negative balance for a day or so. Then, that credit balance would go to zero. The day after that credit balance went to zero, the money would hit my checking account.

If I had to bet, I would say that the balance on Access SMU will zero-out later today or tomorrow. At that time or shortly thereafter, the SF eSpace balance will zero-out and the money will hit your checking account after that.



This is the process.

Since we just got that negative balance today, from past experience, do you think the money will make its way to our checking accounts tomorrow?

nontradintexas
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:01 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby nontradintexas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:12 pm

chrisokc wrote:
nontradintexas wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:It's still a little confusing.

My number is currently negative and is a result of fall disbursement aid and deposits paid less the tuition and fees. Is this just a current projection and not an indication that tuition is paid? I'm seeing "no credits are issued" under the Refund Disbursement Summary, so I'm assuming I'm still playing the waiting game.

At my undergrad., what would happen is that I would have a balance due on my student account. Then, the aid would get applied and I would have a credit, or negative balance for a day or so. Then, that credit balance would go to zero. The day after that credit balance went to zero, the money would hit my checking account.

If I had to bet, I would say that the balance on Access SMU will zero-out later today or tomorrow. At that time or shortly thereafter, the SF eSpace balance will zero-out and the money will hit your checking account after that.



This is the process.

Since we just got that negative balance today, from past experience, do you think the money will make its way to our checking accounts tomorrow?


I think it takes a couple of business days, so if not tomorrow then probably Monday.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:22 pm

nontradintexas wrote:I think it takes a couple of business days, so if not tomorrow then probably Monday.

You mean tomorrow or Friday...?

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby fathergoose » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:25 pm

chrisokc wrote:
nontradintexas wrote:I think it takes a couple of business days, so if not tomorrow then probably Monday.

You mean tomorrow or Friday...?

Haha Monday would be stretching things really thin.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:26 pm

fathergoose wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
nontradintexas wrote:I think it takes a couple of business days, so if not tomorrow then probably Monday.

You mean tomorrow or Friday...?

Haha Monday would be stretching things really thin.

No kidding. I still need need to go pick up a few items for school, and I was hoping to do so earlier than the day before orientation.

nontradintexas
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:01 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby nontradintexas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:55 pm

chrisokc wrote:
nontradintexas wrote:I think it takes a couple of business days, so if not tomorrow then probably Monday.

You mean tomorrow or Friday...?


Sorry - tomorrow's my last day at my job so in my head it's Friday.

Yes, I meant Thursday or (more likely) Friday.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:57 pm

nontradintexas wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
nontradintexas wrote:I think it takes a couple of business days, so if not tomorrow then probably Monday.

You mean tomorrow or Friday...?


Sorry - tomorrow's my last day at my job so in my head it's Friday.

Yes, I meant Thursday or (more likely) Friday.

Excellent. Well have a good last day.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:19 pm

Are you all looking at the SF Space or the student account?

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:24 pm

kalvano wrote:Are you all looking at the SF Space or the student account?

At this moment, mine have the equal balances.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:33 pm

chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:Are you all looking at the SF Space or the student account?

At this moment, mine have the equal balances.



Weird. My SF eSpace doesn't list anything under "recent payments", nor does it list the loans when I click "student account". It still says "anticipated aid."

However, the student center student account lists "disbursed aid" with 08/11/10 as the disbursal date.

Odd that the two don't reconcile with each other.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:48 pm

kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:Are you all looking at the SF Space or the student account?

At this moment, mine have the equal balances.



Weird. My SF eSpace doesn't list anything under "recent payments", nor does it list the loans when I click "student account". It still says "anticipated aid."

However, the student center student account lists "disbursed aid" with 08/11/10 as the disbursal date.

Odd that the two don't reconcile with each other.

Mine is the same way. But the total credit balances are equal in both systems.

My guess is that it's a two-step process. First, the goverment funds are applied to your student account (the one in Access SMU), creating an actual credit balance equal to the anticipated credit balance that has existed in your SF eSpace account for several days. Then, both accounts will zero-out as the funds leave SMU and enter your checking account. This process is shaping up to be exactly the same as it was at my undergrad. If it continues to be the same, the money will hit your checking account late tomorrow night or in the wee hours of Friday morning.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:49 pm

Sounds unnecessarily complicated. As long as I wake up rich.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:56 pm

kalvano wrote:Sounds unnecessarily complicated. As long as I wake up rich.

I bet you'll be rich by Friday morning. That is, of course, unless you entered the wrong checking account number or something along those lines. Also, unless you're familiar with how your bank handles direct deposits, you might want to make sure everything is cool on their end. Some banks are funny about those things.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:06 pm

chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:Sounds unnecessarily complicated. As long as I wake up rich.

I bet you'll be rich by Friday morning. That is, of course, unless you entered the wrong checking account number or something along those lines. Also, unless you're familiar with how your bank handles direct deposits, you might want to make sure everything is cool on their end. Some banks are funny about those things.



Thanks a lot. I triple-checked the account numbers when I entered them but now I have to go back and check.

And it's USAA, so transfers in and out are super easy.

User avatar
Texasboundanddown
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Texasboundanddown » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:50 pm

So I called the fin aid office about my problem about my mpn's and stuff and they just said there was a confusion with the system which held up my loans but those should be in tomorrow. Bad thing was that it also held up the certification of my PLUS loan but he said they recognized it and would try to have it by the end of the week. Thanks chrisokc for making me realize stuff and to call them. :D

On a more positive note, got most of my books. Thinking about cracking one open but all these first year guides said not to. So conflicted! hahah

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby fathergoose » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:35 pm

Anybody know of good wing places in the smu area?

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:51 pm

fathergoose wrote:Anybody know of good wing places in the smu area?

Don't know about that but there are some damn good Tex/Mex joints around.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:00 pm

chrisokc wrote:
fathergoose wrote:Anybody know of good wing places in the smu area?

Don't know about that but there are some damn good Tex/Mex joints around.



Wings - I don't know too many. Wing Stop actually isn't that bad. Their lemon pepper is enjoyable.

Mexican - tons of good places around. Blue Goose is probably my favorite, and Manny's in Uptown is quite good as well.

texasforever
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby texasforever » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:04 pm

Moving in a week early has led me to a new state of boredom. I refuse to read any sort text considering the ridiculous amount I will be reading starting next week. If anyone wants to grab some beers this week/weekend, pm me

User avatar
squ1rtle
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:36 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby squ1rtle » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:06 pm

Pluckers has pretty good wings and they are open real late.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pluckers-wing-bar-dallas

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby fathergoose » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:11 pm

kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
fathergoose wrote:Anybody know of good wing places in the smu area?

Don't know about that but there are some damn good Tex/Mex joints around.



Wings - I don't know too many. Wing Stop actually isn't that bad. Their lemon pepper is enjoyable.

Mexican - tons of good places around. Blue Goose is probably my favorite, and Manny's in Uptown is quite good as well.


Great tex/mex to be sure. I'm partial to Chuys or Taqueria Arandas.

BWW, Wing Stop and Pluckers are all good but I was hoping for an awesome local wing place as well. I guess I'll have to do some leg work to find it.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:39 pm

fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
fathergoose wrote:Anybody know of good wing places in the smu area?

Don't know about that but there are some damn good Tex/Mex joints around.



Wings - I don't know too many. Wing Stop actually isn't that bad. Their lemon pepper is enjoyable.

Mexican - tons of good places around. Blue Goose is probably my favorite, and Manny's in Uptown is quite good as well.


Great tex/mex to be sure. I'm partial to Chuys or Taqueria Arandas.

BWW, Wing Stop and Pluckers are all good but I was hoping for an awesome local wing place as well. I guess I'll have to do some leg work to find it.

Desperado's on Greenville just north of University is the best Tex/Mex I've ever had. We've been there three times this past month. Top-notch, old-school place with a laid-back feel. Mia's on Lemmon ain't bad either.

tinyone
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby tinyone » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:56 pm

Anyone in Section 2 know what TWEN is? Ryan said we could d/l the syllabus from TWEN but wtf is it? Thanks!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:02 pm

fathergoose wrote:I was hoping for an awesome local wing place as well.



I'm not sure you'll have much luck. I can't recall ever seeing one.

tinyone
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby tinyone » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:18 pm

texasforever wrote:Moving in a week early has led me to a new state of boredom. I refuse to read any sort text considering the ridiculous amount I will be reading starting next week. If anyone wants to grab some beers this week/weekend, pm me



This is why I am happy for DVR/HBO, the pool and alcohol.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], henryyou, Keilz and 9 guests