SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalvano

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Declaration of Intent to Study Law.

What a pain in the ass. I'm tempted to say screw it and pay the late fee and file after law school in case I don't practice in Texas.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:42 pm

Also, looking over the schedule for orientation.

On Wednesday -

1:00 – 2:00 p.m. How to Brief a Case
Gregory Crespi, Professor of Law
Please read the Kiefer case and attempt to brief it, using the form provided, before coming to this class.

What Kiefer case? What form? Did I miss something?

DavidB

Postby DavidB » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:53 am

kalvano wrote:Declaration of Intent to Study Law. What a pain in the ass...

That was my impression too. I've completed the document, but will wait to submit until we've heard from the BLE representative during orientation.

More information is requested for this Declaration than is requested for Secret clearance applications. :)

DavidB

Postby DavidB » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:40 pm

betasteve wrote:
kalvano wrote:...What Kiefer case? What form? Did I miss something?

It will be in your orientation stuff you get when you get there, iirc.

I just received an SMU email with the Kiefer case and various other documents attached.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:52 pm

DavidB wrote:
betasteve wrote:
kalvano wrote:...What Kiefer case? What form? Did I miss something?

It will be in your orientation stuff you get when you get there, iirc.

I just received an SMU email with the Kiefer case and various other documents attached.

+1

Texasboundanddown

Postby Texasboundanddown » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:23 am

So I finally moved into my apartment and visited the school...I think I'm going to be pretty ashamed of it if people come over lol. I'm close to the school (less than 10 miles), its cheap, but its all I really need. If people at the law school are like the people who live around the area or the UG students for that matter, I dunno if I want company coming over.

Did everyone get books? The bookstore already had a section of books sold out...which I found odd.

Also if steve or a 2L wants to answer, how was oci for 2L's this year? People do well for themselves?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:50 am

Texasboundanddown wrote:Did everyone get books? The bookstore already had a section of books sold out...which I found odd.

Everything but Crim and Legal Writing.

Amazon / Half is really much better than the University bookstore.

bcb1986

Postby bcb1986 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:02 pm

Texasboundanddown wrote:So I finally moved into my apartment and visited the school...I think I'm going to be pretty ashamed of it if people come over lol. I'm close to the school (less than 10 miles), its cheap, but its all I really need. If people at the law school are like the people who live around the area or the UG students for that matter, I dunno if I want company coming over.

Did everyone get books? The bookstore already had a section of books sold out...which I found odd.

Also if steve or a 2L wants to answer, how was oci for 2L's this year? People do well for themselves?

OCI is ongoing. Bids are in but interviews haven't started.

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:23 pm

I still haven't gotten to Dallas. Books better not be sold out!

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:24 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:I still haven't gotten to Dallas. Books better not be sold out!

When are you getting to town?

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:53 pm

Thirteen wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:I still haven't gotten to Dallas. Books better not be sold out!

When are you getting to town?

Late tomorrow or early Weds

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:15 am

Anyone know if we can charge stuff at the bookstore yet?

nontradintexas

Postby nontradintexas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:26 am

chrisokc wrote:Anyone know if we can charge stuff at the bookstore yet?

I think you just need your student ID. If you have that, you should be good to go.

UTL_plz

Postby UTL_plz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:41 am

i dont think we can get our ids until the 13th

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:45 am

UTL_plz wrote:i dont think we can get our ids until the 13th

How do we go about acquiring our IDs? Show up at admissions?

nontradintexas

Postby nontradintexas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:51 am

chrisokc wrote:
UTL_plz wrote:i dont think we can get our ids until the 13th

How do we go about acquiring our IDs? Show up at admissions?

I had to go get mine at the Park N Pony office, but I don't think I could do it until tuition was paid. I seem to remember getting mine the day before orientation started, but I think I waited until then because I didn't get to town until that weekend.

You could probably call Park N Pony and see if they have you on file & when you can go have your ID made.

UTL_plz

Postby UTL_plz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:54 am

go to parknpony to get id made. i haven't read or heard from anywhere else that tuition must first be paid, so we may need to check on that.

nontradintexas

Postby nontradintexas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:00 am

UTL_plz wrote:go to parknpony to get id made. i haven't read or heard from anywhere else that tuition must first be paid, so we may need to check on that.

Yeah, I'm just trying to remember what I did from a year ago. I'd recommend just calling Park N Pony to see when you can get it.

UTL_plz

Postby UTL_plz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:12 am

question for you, nontrad or any other 2L+s: what was your impression of orientation? boring as hell? informative? too short, too long, just right? any particular parts you found enjoyable or helpful? any parts you detested or found to be boring and useless?

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:15 am

nontradintexas wrote:
UTL_plz wrote:go to parknpony to get id made. i haven't read or heard from anywhere else that tuition must first be paid, so we may need to check on that.

Yeah, I'm just trying to remember what I did from a year ago. I'd recommend just calling Park N Pony to see when you can get it.

Called - we can get IDs August 12. And, if I'm correct, tuition should be paid today at some point. Distribution day is 8/10, then two days to get the direct deposit on 8/12. If we don't get our money soon, we can all have a group get-together at the soup kitchen downtown. I'll reserve an SMU Law table.

nontradintexas

Postby nontradintexas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:24 am

UTL_plz wrote:question for you, nontrad or any other 2L+s: what was your impression of orientation? boring as hell? informative? too short, too long, just right? any particular parts you found enjoyable or helpful? any parts you detested or found to be boring and useless?

It was nice to meet classmates. I really enjoyed meeting my mentors, who were great. (BTW, I'm mentoring this year, so get ready for some inspired greatness, too.)

Just like anything run by administration, it definitely had parts that sucked. First day will start with checking in and taking pictures, followed by breakfast on the Quad. Should be nice and steamy, since it's been 1,000 degrees here for a couple of weeks now.

Then you'll have plenty of boring meetings where they talk about various aspects of what you're going to do. The Dean will give a rousing three-hour speech on Constitutionalism and The Law. (not quite three hours, but it feels like it) More meetings, lunch on the Quad, more meetings, an Organization Fair in the Pit where you can meet reps from all the different student orgs (there are two in particular I can recommend, if anyone wants to know.) :wink:

After that, the evening dinner will involve some real live attorneys giving real life inspirational rah-rah speeches. And trying to get you to join DAYL and the Dallas Bar.

Day two is more of the same.

I remember day one as being brutal, because it started at at 8:00 and we weren't done until almost 9:00 that night. Day two was not quite as bad, but did include a meeting after lunch that lasted about an hour too long.

In short, orientation is what you'd expect. A few good things, mostly boring things, but a necessary evil.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:27 am

nontradintexas wrote:
UTL_plz wrote:question for you, nontrad or any other 2L+s: what was your impression of orientation? boring as hell? informative? too short, too long, just right? any particular parts you found enjoyable or helpful? any parts you detested or found to be boring and useless?

It was nice to meet classmates. I really enjoyed meeting my mentors, who were great. (BTW, I'm mentoring this year, so get ready for some inspired greatness, too.)

Just like anything run by administration, it definitely had parts that sucked. First day will start with checking in and taking pictures, followed by breakfast on the Quad. Should be nice and steamy, since it's been 1,000 degrees here for a couple of weeks now.

Then you'll have plenty of boring meetings where they talk about various aspects of what you're going to do. The Dean will give a rousing three-hour speech on Constitutionalism and The Law. (not quite three hours, but it feels like it) More meetings, lunch on the Quad, more meetings, an Organization Fair in the Pit where you can meet reps from all the different student orgs (there are two in particular I can recommend, if anyone wants to know.) :wink:

After that, the evening dinner will involve some real live attorneys giving real life inspirational rah-rah speeches. And trying to get you to join DAYL and the Dallas Bar.

Day two is more of the same.

I remember day one as being brutal, because it started at at 8:00 and we weren't done until almost 9:00 that night. Day two was not quite as bad, but did include a meeting after lunch that lasted about an hour too long.

In short, orientation is what you'd expect. A few good things, mostly boring things, but a necessary evil.

Can I do all this while dressed in shorts? What about attire for the dinner?

UTL_plz

Postby UTL_plz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:28 am

can't wait

nontradintexas

Postby nontradintexas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:41 am

Dress code is relaxed. Shorts and a decent shirt are just fine. Remember, you'll be spending at least a portion of the day (meals) outside.

For the dinner, the dress was a bit nicer, maybe jeans and a shirt. You definitely don't need anything nicer than khakis, though. If I recall correctly, there were some people who didn't change and were still in shorts. There will be attorneys in suits there, so if that will make you want to dress nicer just go business casual.

betasteve or some of the others can correct me if my memory is off.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:28 pm

So wait, you go home to change before the dinner? Damn. I thought day one was 11:00 to 8:00 and day two was 9:00 to 3:00 or so.

Also, when is the latest you can file Declaration of Intent? I can find the regular filing date but not the ultimate deadline.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”