SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nontradintexas

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby nontradintexas » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:22 pm

kalvano wrote:I demanded more aid so I don't have to live like a prole.

Oh, you crazy young'uns - be glad with what you get. Last year COA for full-time was $57k. Makes the $68k this year look pretty good...

Also, be ready for Career Services to tell you about 1,000 times "don't borrow more than you need, and don't try to live like a king while you're a student." Thanks, Career Services. I'll keep that in mind. I'll also keep in mind that my family needs to eat, and almost every day, the whiny ingrates.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:29 pm

nontradintexas wrote:

Oh, you crazy young'uns - be glad with what you get. Last year COA for full-time was $57k. Makes the $68k this year look pretty good...

Also, be ready for Career Services to tell you about 1,000 times "don't borrow more than you need, and don't try to live like a king while you're a student." Thanks, Career Services. I'll keep that in mind. I'll also keep in mind that my family needs to eat, and almost every day, the whiny ingrates.

Actually, this will be the only year of of PLUS loans for me. My wife works, so thankfully that offsets everything.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:30 pm

nontradintexas wrote:

I wonder why they increased the amount we are eligible to receive this year? Hopefully, it will continue for our next 2 years at SMU.

tinyone

Postby tinyone » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:29 pm

On another note, has anyone heard anything further about the Tuition Equalization Grant?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:30 pm

tinyone wrote:On another note, has anyone heard anything further about the Tuition Equalization Grant?

It's listed in my to-be-disbursed funds for August 10.

Texasboundanddown

Postby Texasboundanddown » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:06 am

So I am officially attending SMU next fall (why so late? long story about being out of the country). For most full timers, what do I have to do for financial aid? I filled out fafsa mid may for all the schools I had thought about going to, then got an email about missing a texas questionaires form (that affects my ability to get more grants). Anyone else get that? Anyway, I mailed and faxed a copy so I should be ok. When will I know if it affected my fin aid?

Also, thanks steve for the info a couple posts up. Basically everything I had questions about lol.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:39 am

I stopped by the SMU bookstore over the weekend. They are in the process of getting all the law books displayed for the different sections. They do put all the 1L books together, which is a nice change from undergrad. They also have a BUNCH of supplements available. They have all the supplements you've read about on TLS and a lot more. The store also has a lot of SMU clothing and some law-specific stuff as well.

On a side note, if you haven't spent much time driving around campus, the speed limit is 30 mph. Exceed it at your own peril.

bonnieblue

Postby bonnieblue » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:35 am

ya just a warning to yall who are new to the area...if you are in the park cities, do not speed or run a light ever, because the cops have nothing else to do

callingsarah

Postby callingsarah » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:43 am

chrisokc wrote:I stopped by the SMU bookstore over the weekend. They are in the process of getting all the law books displayed for the different sections. They do put all the 1L books together, which is a nice change from undergrad. They also have a BUNCH of supplements available. They have all the supplements you've read about on TLS and a lot more. The store also has a lot of SMU clothing and some law-specific stuff as well.

On a side note, if you haven't spent much time driving around campus, the speed limit is 30 mph. Exceed it at your own peril.

Did you buy your books? Just not sure if we all need the same ones or if what we need will depend on our section/ profs.

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:54 am

Texasboundanddown wrote:So I am officially attending SMU next fall (why so late? long story about being out of the country). For most full timers, what do I have to do for financial aid? I filled out fafsa mid may for all the schools I had thought about going to, then got an email about missing a texas questionaires form (that affects my ability to get more grants). Anyone else get that? Anyway, I mailed and faxed a copy so I should be ok. When will I know if it affected my fin aid?

Also, thanks steve for the info a couple posts up. Basically everything I had questions about lol.

Have you logged into SMU Access to see if you're aid has been posted? If it's not, I'd call the aid department and just ask for a head's up. Apparently, they are very slow, but at least they're nice people.

I finally accepted my aid on Friday. How long will it take to find out my disbursement dates? Should I receive an email with guidance for signing the notes or should I have already received them? Thanks.

HBK

Postby HBK » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:08 pm

So when is everybody moving to Dallas?

I'll be moving August 7th, maybe we should have a TLS happy hour or something once everyone gets settled and before classes.

callingsarah

Postby callingsarah » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:12 pm

HBK wrote:So when is everybody moving to Dallas?

I'll be moving August 7th, maybe we should have a TLS happy hour or something once everyone gets settled and before classes.

Will be there August 1st... and +1 for happy hour. May be the last "happy" hour we get this year ;)

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:12 pm

bonnieblue wrote:if you are in the park cities, do not speed or run a light ever, because the cops have nothing else to do

Very, very true. But Highland Park has the nicest jail in existence, so there is that.

bonnieblue

Postby bonnieblue » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:18 pm

and instead of being hauled off in a crown vic, you get to stretch out in a nice spacious tahoe

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:23 pm

bonnieblue wrote:and instead of being hauled off in a crown vic, you get to stretch out in a nice spacious tahoe

That always amuses me.

bonnieblue

Postby bonnieblue » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:24 pm

and an extra bonus if your family lives in the neighborhood, if you flee from arrest they simply send your family a fax asking you to report to jail the next day instead of barging into your home and hauling you off...haha i love this city

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:45 pm

callingsarah wrote:
chrisokc wrote:I stopped by the SMU bookstore over the weekend. They are in the process of getting all the law books displayed for the different sections. They do put all the 1L books together, which is a nice change from undergrad. They also have a BUNCH of supplements available. They have all the supplements you've read about on TLS and a lot more. The store also has a lot of SMU clothing and some law-specific stuff as well.

Did you buy your books? Just not sure if we all need the same ones or if what we need will depend on our section/ profs.

The books vary depending on which section you're assigned.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:46 pm

bonnieblue wrote:and an extra bonus if your family lives in the neighborhood, if you flee from arrest they simply send your family a fax asking you to report to jail the next day instead of barging into your home and hauling you off...haha i love this city

Sounds like you say that from experience.

bonnieblue

Postby bonnieblue » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:58 pm

chrisokc wrote:
bonnieblue wrote:and an extra bonus if your family lives in the neighborhood, if you flee from arrest they simply send your family a fax asking you to report to jail the next day instead of barging into your home and hauling you off...haha i love this city

Sounds like you say that from experience.

ha a friend of mine

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:58 pm

Four weeks from tonight is a school night, folks.

Katherine

Postby Katherine » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:04 pm

Have they touched the wait list recently?? I have 10 days left in dallas unless there is a miracle. Suggestions? Admissions office sit in? Tears? What can I do??

wellington

Postby wellington » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Signed the lease this past weekend, moved two carloads of stuff. The big move is next weekend. I have too much crap.

HBK

Postby HBK » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:25 pm

chrisokc wrote:Four weeks from tonight is a school night, folks.

That is equal parts exciting and terrifying.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:28 pm

wellington wrote:

Signed the lease this past weekend, moved two carloads of stuff. The big move is next weekend. I have too much crap.

I'm moving out there Sunday or Monday.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:36 pm

chrisokc wrote:Four weeks from tonight is a school night, folks.

It's about damn time. Off to Vail next week to clear my mind, then ready to go.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”