SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:31 pm

bonnieblue wrote:im confused on how to handle the PLUS stuff.... I already accepted the awards on access and the federal loans have been certified or whatever, so now do I fill out a PLUS application?



You have to do a credit application on studentloans.gov.

tinyone
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby tinyone » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:29 pm

kalvano wrote:I can pretty much guarantee it's not based on EFC.



So it's not my EFC that is preventing me, it's that I worked FT after undergrad. Gotcha.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:39 pm

tinyone wrote:
kalvano wrote:I can pretty much guarantee it's not based on EFC.



So it's not my EFC that is preventing me, it's that I worked FT after undergrad. Gotcha.



No, it's not that either.

I've been out of school for 4 years. It's listed on my SMU money page.

The reason I say it's not EFC is because mine was pretty high.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:49 pm

Also of note, make sure to set up your bank account under your student account page if you want your loans direct deposited.

tinyone
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby tinyone » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:14 pm

kalvano wrote:
tinyone wrote:
kalvano wrote:I can pretty much guarantee it's not based on EFC.



So it's not my EFC that is preventing me, it's that I worked FT after undergrad. Gotcha.



No, it's not that either.

I've been out of school for 4 years. It's listed on my SMU money page.

The reason I say it's not EFC is because mine was pretty high.


Well WTF then. I'm a TX resident and want some free $$$

User avatar
squ1rtle
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:36 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby squ1rtle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:19 pm

Part-timers should qualify for the TEG according to the rules.

2) be enrolled in at least three-fourths of [for] a
full course load conforming to an individual degree plan in an
approved college or university;


Part-timers enroll for 10/11 hours each semester which is above the required 3/4th course load. I've emailed the financial aid director about this but have yet to hear back.

User avatar
Iconoclast
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Iconoclast » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:35 pm

squ1rtle wrote:Part-timers should qualify for the TEG according to the rules.

2) be enrolled in at least three-fourths of [for] a
full course load conforming to an individual degree plan in an
approved college or university;


Part-timers enroll for 10/11 hours each semester which is above the required 3/4th course load. I've emailed the financial aid director about this but have yet to hear back.


I'm interested in hearing what you find out. I probably don't qualify anyway, but then again, I didn't think I would qualify for any subsidized stafford money either.

tinyone
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby tinyone » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Whatever, I'm going to submit the residency questionnaire anyway. UT made me do this for in-state tuition during the app process and they accepted me as in-state.

On another note, did anyone get the parking e-mail? Are we supposed to sign up for a permit or do we automatically get one? SMU should target their University wide e-mails a little better.

User avatar
wellington
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby wellington » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:19 pm

chrisokc wrote:That's everything I did. You'll soon get a hard copy from the Direct Loan processor via snail mail.


I got my hard copy too, but the "School Name:" above the letter's greeting has nothing after it. The online app shows SMU. Anyone else have theirs this way or should I be making some phone calls?

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:27 pm

wellington wrote:
chrisokc wrote:That's everything I did. You'll soon get a hard copy from the Direct Loan processor via snail mail.


I got my hard copy too, but the "School Name:" above the letter's greeting has nothing after it. The online app shows SMU. Anyone else have theirs this way or should I be making some phone calls?

You'll get another one in a couple of days that has SMU.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:30 pm

I got a letter from the SMU Law IT department today. Just basic information and whatnot.

User avatar
SpencerPratt
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby SpencerPratt » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:50 pm

What's everyone doing for prep (if anything)? When do we think we'll get our schedules? Will anyone be ordering books online soon-ish rather than buying in the bookstore?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:56 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:What's everyone doing for prep (if anything)? When do we think we'll get our schedules? Will anyone be ordering books online soon-ish rather than buying in the bookstore?



I finally got my medical forms together to send in.
Waiting on the loan stuff to clear up.
Need to get them a transcript.

Not buying books or supplements until I know my schedule and professors.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:08 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:What's everyone doing for prep (if anything)? When do we think we'll get our schedules? Will anyone be ordering books online soon-ish rather than buying in the bookstore?

Hey Spencer, why did they run you off of The Hills?

User avatar
SpencerPratt
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby SpencerPratt » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:48 pm

chrisokc wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:What's everyone doing for prep (if anything)? When do we think we'll get our schedules? Will anyone be ordering books online soon-ish rather than buying in the bookstore?

Hey Spencer, why did they run you off of The Hills?


Law school isn't trendy enough

User avatar
UTL_plz
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:48 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby UTL_plz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:24 am

SpencerPratt wrote:What's everyone doing for prep (if anything)? When do we think we'll get our schedules? Will anyone be ordering books online soon-ish rather than buying in the bookstore?


Do we know what books we'll need yet?

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:34 am

SpencerPratt wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:What's everyone doing for prep (if anything)? When do we think we'll get our schedules? Will anyone be ordering books online soon-ish rather than buying in the bookstore?

Hey Spencer, why did they run you off of The Hills?


Law school isn't trendy enough

Makes sense.

peeves4026
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby peeves4026 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:45 pm

Have they made an admitted students facebook group?

cafloyd12
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby cafloyd12 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:49 pm

Hey guys, looks like we can go ahead and enroll in classes. I clicked to add classes and it is no longer prohibited. Is this something we should go ahead and do or should we be waiting on an email? Anyone have any info on this? If not, I'll give them a call Monday and see what I can find out.

cafloyd12
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby cafloyd12 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:50 pm

peeves4026 wrote:Have they made an admitted students facebook group?


Yes we have. Here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 626&ref=ts

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:52 pm

cafloyd12 wrote:Hey guys, looks like we can go ahead and enroll in classes. I clicked to add classes and it is no longer prohibited. Is this something we should go ahead and do or should we be waiting on an email? Anyone have any info on this? If not, I'll give them a call Monday and see what I can find out.



It's my understanding they provide your 1L schedule, you don't get to choose it.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Someone had a question about parking passes as well. Here is the answer.

To receive your new 2010-11 SMU Law parking permit just follow these simple steps…

1. Once you have registered for your classes, visit https://register-parking.smu.edu to order your permit and register your vehicle. If completed by July 25th, your permit will be mailed to you. Please allow 2 weeks for delivery. If ordered after July 25th, your permit will be available for pick-up only in our office after August 1st. Please allow time for processing.


2. Finally, print the “Order Confirmation” using the printer icon on your web browser and display on the dashboard of your vehicle. The “Order Confirmation” is your temporary parking permit while your order is being processed. The temporary permit is valid in the law garage and red “All University Permit” areas indicated on the student campus parking map. The printed confirmation will indicate that a payment of $260.00 has been made. However, the cost of your 2010-11 SMU Law parking permit is included in your tuition and NO separate charge will be applied to your SMU account for parking.


Please note that ALL SMU Law parking permits must be ordered on-line. If you have already pre-ordered your permit, thank you very much!

Please contact the Park ‘N Pony Office at https://smu.edu/parknpony or (214)768-7275 or (214) SMU-Park for additional information or assistance. You can now visit us on Facebook.






The garage is only for law students, correct?

User avatar
wellington
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby wellington » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:44 pm

kalvano wrote:

The garage is only for law students, correct?


Yeah. But the law parking pass is good for most other garages, which is nice.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:18 am

wellington wrote:
kalvano wrote:

The garage is only for law students, correct?


Yeah. But the law parking pass is good for most other garages, which is nice.




Yeah, but the law garage is about 30 feet from the law school area.

It will be quite a switch from my undergrad, where I spent about an hour each morning finding a parking spot and usually had to walk a mile, mile and a half.

cafloyd12
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby cafloyd12 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:09 pm

kalvano wrote:
wellington wrote:
kalvano wrote:

The garage is only for law students, correct?


Yeah. But the law parking pass is good for most other garages, which is nice.




Yeah, but the law garage is about 30 feet from the law school area.

It will be quite a switch from my undergrad, where I spent about an hour each morning finding a parking spot and usually had to walk a mile, mile and a half.


+1




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AFtoLawschool, dala77, Fantasyfreak294, Google [Bot], jdanz, jtawil, lillawyer2, nahmjun, nightie, Rich Uncle Skeleton, SilverSurfer2020, studyingeveryday and 37 guests