SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalvano

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:34 pm

tinyone wrote:Strange...this doc ( --LinkRemoved-- ) has the annual coverage as far more pricey.

I know. I emailed them to find out exactly.

UTL_plz

Postby UTL_plz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:42 pm

is the health insurance included in the fees by default?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:55 pm

UTL_plz wrote:is the health insurance included in the fees by default?

No.

I've gotten conflicting reports, and am waiting on SMU to write me back, but I think it's $1530 a year, which really isn't that bad.

texasforever

Postby texasforever » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:45 pm

Integrity wrote:
DavidB wrote:
UTL_plz wrote:...Found out i qualify for a 2k grant for being a texan, which is nice.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of this. Any details?

Texas Equalization Grant
http://www.collegefortexans.com/apps/fi ... cfm?ID=534

I also received TEG money, pretty ironic because I am a white male and lobbied for this on both the state and federal level during undergrad and never thought that I would ever qualify for it. I guess having a $0 income as an "independent" (thanks for undergrad dad) has some advantages after all.

callingsarah

Postby callingsarah » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:59 am

cafloyd12 wrote:
wellington wrote:
maxpayne wrote:My Stafford Loans have been certified but I am still waiting on my Gradplus to be certified. What kind of time frame I am looking at?

I'm in the same boat.

My gradplus loans just got certified today. I applied the day we got the notice.

Can you tell me how you saw that your gradPLUS was certified? I applied/got approved/ signed my MPN the day we got notice-- is there another step?

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:27 am

I still haven't been able to view or accept my loans. Filing the FAFSA late ftl :oops: .

cafloyd12

Postby cafloyd12 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:26 pm

callingsarah wrote:
cafloyd12 wrote:
wellington wrote:
maxpayne wrote:My Stafford Loans have been certified but I am still waiting on my Gradplus to be certified. What kind of time frame I am looking at?

I'm in the same boat.

My gradplus loans just got certified today. I applied the day we got the notice.

Can you tell me how you saw that your gradPLUS was certified? I applied/got approved/ signed my MPN the day we got notice-- is there another step?

You've done everything there is to do. When your loan is certified, you will see a "loan details" hyperlink next to the gradplus loan. There should already be a "loan details" hyperlink next to your stafford loans. If it hasn't shown by now, you may give them a call or shoot them an email. If you do see the link, go ahead and click on it. It should say that your loan has been certified, etc.

tinyone

Postby tinyone » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:42 pm

Can you tell me how you saw that your gradPLUS was certified? I applied/got approved/ signed my MPN the day we got notice-- is there another step?[/quote]

You've done everything there is to do. When your loan is certified, you will see a "loan details" hyperlink next to the gradplus loan. There should already be a "loan details" hyperlink next to your stafford loans. If it hasn't shown by now, you may give them a call or shoot them an email. If you do see the link, go ahead and click on it. It should say that your loan has been certified, etc.[/quote]

All of the above, and I received a paper letter in the mail stating I had been approved/certified.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:47 pm

Did anyone else get this email?

SMU received your request for financial aid. However, to be eligible for federal, state and/or
SMU need-based financial aid additional information or documentation is required.

You must complete the appropriate documents or the request for information listed below
within three weeks from the date of this notice. If SMU does not receive the requested items,
federal, state, and SMU need-based aid cannot be awarded and/or disbursed to assist with
payment of your student account.

Required forms are located at --LinkRemoved--

1. Required Document: Texas Residency Core Questions. Texas State Financial Aid Regulations require completion of this form prior to students receiving state regulated funds. Please complete and promptly return the Texas Residency Core Questions form to the Division of Enrollment Services-Financial Aid. All financial aid forms are available at the SMU Financial Aid Forms Library.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:54 pm

Also, what is the "tuition equalization grant"?

UTL_plz

Postby UTL_plz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:39 pm

kalvano wrote:Also, what is the "tuition equalization grant"?

i believe it is the grant you get for completing the texas residency core questionnaire which is available at the smu financial aid website in their form library. i never got the email, but i saw the texas residency questionnaire on my to-do list at access.smu

wellington

Postby wellington » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:46 pm

kalvano wrote:Did anyone else get this email?

I got it. I followed the link and filled out the form. Dropped it in the mail that day.

callingsarah

Postby callingsarah » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:09 am

kalvano wrote:Did anyone else get this email?

SMU received your request for financial aid. However, to be eligible for federal, state and/or
SMU need-based financial aid additional information or documentation is required.

You must complete the appropriate documents or the request for information listed below
within three weeks from the date of this notice. If SMU does not receive the requested items,
federal, state, and SMU need-based aid cannot be awarded and/or disbursed to assist with
payment of your student account.

Required forms are located at --LinkRemoved--

1. Required Document: Texas Residency Core Questions. Texas State Financial Aid Regulations require completion of this form prior to students receiving state regulated funds. Please complete and promptly return the Texas Residency Core Questions form to the Division of Enrollment Services-Financial Aid. All financial aid forms are available at the SMU Financial Aid Forms Library.

I received it, and if you follow the link, you'll see a spot about residency core questions that you can actually fill out online.

Also, the tuition equalization grant is a grant for Texas students who are attending a private Texas college whose cost is prooved to be higher than a public University in Texas.... I think we can all agree that SMU qualifies ;)

DavidB

Postby DavidB » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:58 am

callingsarah wrote:...Also, the tuition equalization grant is a grant for Texas students who are attending a private Texas college whose cost is prooved to be higher than a public University in Texas...

I was not eligible for this--there's probably there's a cutoff based on EFC.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:04 pm

DavidB wrote:
callingsarah wrote:...Also, the tuition equalization grant is a grant for Texas students who are attending a private Texas college whose cost is prooved to be higher than a public University in Texas...

I doubt that.

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:45 pm

DavidB wrote:

David, you're part time, right? It looks like SMU requires you to be full-time to get the grant.

From the Award Notice Information document ( http://smu.edu/Financial_Aid/Forms/10_1 ... mation.pdf )

Texas State Grants
Eligibility is determined by the total income calculated on the FAFSA and is available to undergraduate and some graduate/professional career students. Texas residency status must be documented. Tuition Equalization Grant (TEG) recipients (amounts vary) must be enrolled full-time and maintain a 2.5 GPA for continued eligibility. Awards are subject to availability of funds.

Kind of stinks since the other information I've found about the TEG states that you need to be enrolled at least 75%

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:48 pm

OK, I went to studentloans.gov, did the Stafford loan counseling (no link for PLUS loan counseling), applied and approved for the PLUS loans, signed the Direct Subsidized / Unsubsidized MPN, and the went to SMU Access and accepted the loans I wanted.

Do I need to do anything else?

Oh yeah, looks like you poor bastards are going to be stuck with me at SMU.

DavidB

Postby DavidB » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:10 pm

Iconoclast wrote:David, you're part time, right? It looks like SMU requires you to be full-time to get the grant.

Ah, that's it then. I'm part-time. Thanks!

tinyone

Postby tinyone » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:20 pm

DavidB wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:David, you're part time, right? It looks like SMU requires you to be full-time to get the grant.

I'm FT and didn't get the e-mail. My EFC was around $8,500.00 though so maybe that is why.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:35 pm

kalvano wrote:OK, I went to studentloans.gov, did the Stafford loan counseling (no link for PLUS loan counseling), applied and approved for the PLUS loans, signed the Direct Subsidized / Unsubsidized MPN, and the went to SMU Access and accepted the loans I wanted.

Do I need to do anything else?

Oh yeah, looks like you poor bastards are going to be stuck with me at SMU.

That's everything I did. You'll soon get a hard copy from the Direct Loan processor via snail mail.

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:51 pm

tinyone wrote:
DavidB wrote:

I'm FT and didn't get the e-mail. My EFC was around $8,500.00 though so maybe that is why.

Tiny, you're not a Texas resident are you? That's one of the requirements.

Heck, it might be based on the EFC as well... /shrug.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:53 pm

I can pretty much guarantee it's not based on EFC.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:01 pm

I should get the grant too. I've been a Texas resident for well over a month.

texasforever

Postby texasforever » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Having lobbied for the TEG, the basic facts are that in order to receive it you pretty much had to have gone to high school in Texas (for Texas residency purposes) and have an income at or near the poverty level (which is why most grad students who are full time right out of undergrad will get it).

Here are the requirements as stated in the actual legislation:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Search/DocViewer.aspx?K2DocKey=odbc%3a%2f%2fTLO%2fTLO.dbo.vwCurrBillDocs%2f81%2fR%2fS%2fB%2f02246%2f2%2fB%40TloCurrBillDocs&QueryText=tuition%3cOR%3eequalization%3cOR%3egrant&HighlightType=1

and here is more info:
--LinkRemoved--

The TEG makes up one half of one percent of the total Texas education budget and is funded directly by the taxpayers, at an average of seven cents per Texas citizen per year.

Seven weeks until hell begins, can't wait.

bonnieblue

Postby bonnieblue » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:28 pm

im confused on how to handle the PLUS stuff.... I already accepted the awards on access and the federal loans have been certified or whatever, so now do I fill out a PLUS application?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”