SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
maxpayne
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby maxpayne » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:54 pm

cafloyd12 wrote:
wellington wrote:
cafloyd12 wrote:Wait a sec guys...are you serious? So the 10k is not less our scholarship? I was thinking that maybe the gradplus estimate was pre-subtracting our scholly amount from cost of living. If we are getting 10k more than the estimate I am going to be golden. I've already got my apartment and I've budgeted for 12 months under the estimated cost of living...


Same here. My wife was stressing about scoring a decent enough job so that we won't be living month to month on the col loans. If this extra dough holds true, things will be much more comfortable (and, ya know, maybe I could focus on law school instead of bills).


Absolutely. If what they told Chris was correct, then we've got nothing to worry about. They said we can expect to receive the amount we accepted. That's pretty straightforward. And all of the sudden I feel like the world has been lifted from my shoulders. *high fives all around*


Only drawback is the additional debt we will be taking on. But in my opinion, well worth it not to penny pinch and stress about finances. Plus, the estimated cost of living was extremely modest anyway for Dallas. I know we are supposed to be frugal and live very conservative but SMU's estimate was well below poverty. Haha.

Edit: Additionally, we have the option to give back any amount we do not use or need at the end of the semester or year to lower the principal.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:34 pm

maxpayne wrote:
cafloyd12 wrote:
wellington wrote:
cafloyd12 wrote:Wait a sec guys...are you serious? So the 10k is not less our scholarship? I was thinking that maybe the gradplus estimate was pre-subtracting our scholly amount from cost of living. If we are getting 10k more than the estimate I am going to be golden. I've already got my apartment and I've budgeted for 12 months under the estimated cost of living...


Same here. My wife was stressing about scoring a decent enough job so that we won't be living month to month on the col loans. If this extra dough holds true, things will be much more comfortable (and, ya know, maybe I could focus on law school instead of bills).


Absolutely. If what they told Chris was correct, then we've got nothing to worry about. They said we can expect to receive the amount we accepted. That's pretty straightforward. And all of the sudden I feel like the world has been lifted from my shoulders. *high fives all around*


Only drawback is the additional debt we will be taking on. But in my opinion, well worth it not to penny pinch and stress about finances. Plus, the estimated cost of living was extremely modest anyway for Dallas. I know we are supposed to be frugal and live very conservative but SMU's estimate was well below poverty. Haha.

Edit: Additionally, we have the option to give back any amount we do not use or need at the end of the semester or year to lower the principal.

Yeah, guys, I have it in an e-mail from financial aid. The $68k total is correct. In my situation, it is best to take the money. If I need it, I'll have it. If not, I'll hang onto it and pay it back. It will help me ease the short-term stress. And, for those of you who haven't found a place yet, that knowledge might influence your decision on whether or not to look a little closer to campus. I can't stress to you how many places there are for rent over there right now. You can find two-bedrooms over there for around $1k.

cafloyd12
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby cafloyd12 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Chrisokc - make sure and update me when you see action concerning your gradplus loan. I now see a hyperlink for "loan details" next to my staffords. There is still nothing next to the gradplus and no disbursement date.

raoul79
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:10 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby raoul79 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:51 pm

chrisokc,

You have any recommendations off the top of your head? I am looking for a one bedroom place...

User avatar
wellington
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby wellington » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:51 am

Question: I accepted the financial aid offers today and have yet to receive the follow up email--is there any action to be taken with the Grad PLUS loans? I remember reading something about applying through a govt website (for credit check and what not).

Just wanna make sure I get my monies ... :twisted:

cafloyd12
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby cafloyd12 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:23 am

wellington wrote:Question: I accepted the financial aid offers today and have yet to receive the follow up email--is there any action to be taken with the Grad PLUS loans? I remember reading something about applying through a govt website (for credit check and what not).

Just wanna make sure I get my monies ... :twisted:


The link to the website that has the link to the .gov site where the application can be found is actually in the email informing you that your financial aid package is ready. I don't think there's anything that important in the follow up email. Did you receive the email informing you that your financial aid package is ready?

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:10 pm

cafloyd12 wrote:Chrisokc - make sure and update me when you see action concerning your gradplus loan. I now see a hyperlink for "loan details" next to my staffords. There is still nothing next to the gradplus and no disbursement date.

Mine is exactly the same as yours.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:12 pm

cafloyd12 wrote:
wellington wrote:Question: I accepted the financial aid offers today and have yet to receive the follow up email--is there any action to be taken with the Grad PLUS loans? I remember reading something about applying through a govt website (for credit check and what not).

Just wanna make sure I get my monies ... :twisted:


The link to the website that has the link to the .gov site where the application can be found is actually in the email informing you that your financial aid package is ready. I don't think there's anything that important in the follow up email. Did you receive the email informing you that your financial aid package is ready?

Yeah, you have to go to the .gov Web site and do the entrance counseling for both the Stafford and Grad PLUS loans. There is an option where you can do them both at the same time. Then, you actually apply for the Grad PLUS - you will get an instant decision. After that, you have to sign the MPN.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:19 pm

raoul79 wrote:chrisokc,

You have any recommendations off the top of your head? I am looking for a one bedroom place...

Hillcrest is the street that runs north/south that makes up the western edge of campus. Every street that runs east/west and extens west from Hillcrest is lined with apartments for rent. The only way to get that information is to drive or walk the streets and collect phone numbers. A lot of them have information fliers attached to the for rent signs. There is a wide variety of "niceness" available. Also, the street that makes up the northern edge of campus is Daniel. There are a lot of apartments for rent on the streets just to the north of Daniel. Most of the properties to the east of campus seem to be homes, and there aren't many for rent. If you look south of campus, there are also quite a few apartments, and those extend into the Uptown area.

peeves4026
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby peeves4026 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:43 am

Yeah places around campus are a great option and there is a lot to choose from in every price level. I just graduated from SMU undergrad and lived on the street behind the law school, Rosedale, and absolutely loved it. Uptown area in Dallas also has a lot of options and you could easily be at campus in 10-15 minutes. I'd recommend talking to a realtor because there are a lot of great places you might not otherwise think to look. I used Libbie Brown who works for Rogers Healy and Associates (run by all SMU grads) and she was amazing. They can give you a lot of options around campus and in other parts of Dallas. Facebook her if you're interested!

Katherine
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Katherine » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Sorry to change the subject guys, but has there been any more movement on the wait list? I'm working in dallas trying to delay finding an apartment and planning life at another law school and august is approaching way too quickly without a work from smu...

texasforever
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby texasforever » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:16 pm

Katherine wrote:Sorry to change the subject guys, but has there been any more movement on the wait list? I'm working in dallas trying to delay finding an apartment and planning life at another law school and august is approaching way too quickly without a work from smu...


I had a friend get accepted off the waitlist a couple of weeks ago, not really sure about her numbers though.. I know she had a 3.95+ gpa though

User avatar
gman33
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby gman33 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:14 am

texasforever wrote:
Katherine wrote:Sorry to change the subject guys, but has there been any more movement on the wait list? I'm working in dallas trying to delay finding an apartment and planning life at another law school and august is approaching way too quickly without a work from smu...


I had a friend get accepted off the waitlist a couple of weeks ago, not really sure about her numbers though.. I know she had a 3.95+ gpa though


I know of at least 4 people who were accepted off of the wait list the week of June 7 -11. I am also working here in Dallas and have been accepted elsewhere and delaying the apartment search. Last time I spoke with the admissions people they told me that they accept people off of the wait list in cycles. I am assuming the first cycle was June 7 - 11.

I did notice on lawschoolnumbers.com a person named "nrogers" who was accepted off of the wait list at SMU and was also accepted into Minnesota and was debating the two. If he doesn't come, then there is at least one spot open. Big "IF" though.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:58 pm

gman33 wrote:I did notice on lawschoolnumbers.com a person named "nrogers" who was accepted off of the wait list at SMU and was also accepted into Minnesota and was debating the two. If he doesn't come, then there is at least one spot open. Big "IF" though.



He's not coming. He posted on another forum, asking about Dallas. He's firmly convinced that Minnesota is a national school that will let him go anywhere and set him on the path to Biglaw. He thinks Minnesota is one of the most selective schools in the country and is firmly convinced that the school and USNWR is all the research he needs to do, and that law schools do not pad their employment / salary info.

It was a long thread there in which several people took him to task and he said that he is right and no one will convince him otherwise.

Here is his business plan -

"but my career ambitions are as follows. I plan to gain business insight and a book of clients working for a big firm for about 5 years, and then open up a specialized practice in whatever area I choose. Once this is established I plan to sell non-controlling interests to other lawyers in different areas which could beef up my firm's array of services. Step three would be to purchase small to medium sized firms in other cities (private equity). The point of my discussing this, is that I may be able to expand to Dallas (among other cities) from a Minneapolis Law Firm in about 10 years or so.

Going to UMN is not necessarily a fail point for living in Dallas. As you had mentioned, UMN can place me in Dallas if I get especially tired of shovelling."




He was displeased when I lol'ed heartily at that.

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby fathergoose » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:25 pm

I believe that qualifies as delusions of grandeur. Hope he likes really really cold weather.

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:33 pm

Kal, did your house sell, or are we gonna see you at SMU in the fall?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Kal, did your house sell, or are we gonna see you at SMU in the fall?



I have literally one more week.

I've had about a dozen showings in the past week, too. Pain in the ass. I've got to clean and take the dogs away for an hour in the 100-degree heat.

After next Tuesday, if I don't have something shaking, I'm going to SMU. I'm also raising the price right the hell back up on my house.

User avatar
gman33
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby gman33 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:52 pm

kalvano wrote:
gman33 wrote:I did notice on lawschoolnumbers.com a person named "nrogers" who was accepted off of the wait list at SMU and was also accepted into Minnesota and was debating the two. If he doesn't come, then there is at least one spot open. Big "IF" though.



He's not coming. He posted on another forum, asking about Dallas. He's firmly convinced that Minnesota is a national school that will let him go anywhere and set him on the path to Biglaw. He thinks Minnesota is one of the most selective schools in the country and is firmly convinced that the school and USNWR is all the research he needs to do, and that law schools do not pad their employment / salary info.

It was a long thread there in which several people took him to task and he said that he is right and no one will convince him otherwise.

Here is his business plan -

"but my career ambitions are as follows. I plan to gain business insight and a book of clients working for a big firm for about 5 years, and then open up a specialized practice in whatever area I choose. Once this is established I plan to sell non-controlling interests to other lawyers in different areas which could beef up my firm's array of services. Step three would be to purchase small to medium sized firms in other cities (private equity). The point of my discussing this, is that I may be able to expand to Dallas (among other cities) from a Minneapolis Law Firm in about 10 years or so.

Going to UMN is not necessarily a fail point for living in Dallas. As you had mentioned, UMN can place me in Dallas if I get especially tired of shovelling."




He was displeased when I lol'ed heartily at that.


That is quite the ambition by Mr. Rogers. I wish him well and am glad he is choosing MN, that leaves a spot available for one of us wait listers. Kal thank you for the info. on that.

User avatar
SpencerPratt
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby SpencerPratt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:43 pm

Looks like someone just got off the WL with a 3.8/151. WL at SMU, Colorado, and Tulane makes me think an URM or something, though.

User avatar
gman33
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby gman33 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:53 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:Looks like someone just got off the WL with a 3.8/151. WL at SMU, Colorado, and Tulane makes me think an URM or something, though.


On which web site did you find this person? Just curious because those numbers are near mine. Unfortunately, I'm not a URM.

User avatar
gman33
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby gman33 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:00 pm

Ignore my last comment, I saw it on lawschoolnumbers.com. Thanks for the update.

User avatar
Iconoclast
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Iconoclast » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:27 pm

I'm a bit confused about the loan emails...

I have still not received an email telling me that my loan info is available (yes, I'm looking at my smu email). The info is on access.smu and I was able to accept the awards, but I haven't seen anything in the mail other than the general one they sent to everyone on the 14th saying that they had switched over to the direct loan program.

SMU Community:
Beginning today, June 14, 2010, Southern Methodist University has joined thousands of other U.S. higher education institutions....


That isn't the "notification" email is it? hardly seems like it would be, considering that it was addressed to the entire staff, faculty, and student lists.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:37 pm

Iconoclast wrote:I'm a bit confused about the loan emails...

I have still not received an email telling me that my loan info is available (yes, I'm looking at my smu email). The info is on access.smu and I was able to accept the awards, but I haven't seen anything in the mail other than the general one they sent to everyone on the 14th saying that they had switched over to the direct loan program.

SMU Community:
Beginning today, June 14, 2010, Southern Methodist University has joined thousands of other U.S. higher education institutions....


That isn't the "notification" email is it? hardly seems like it would be, considering that it was addressed to the entire staff, faculty, and student lists.

No, that's not it. But the other e-mail doesn't contain anything important. It's just a form e-mail that is generated when something changes regarding your financial aid. If you didn't get it, but you still got everything pertaining to your loans, I wouldn't sweat it. Maybe just a glitch, or maybe they do something different for the evening folks.

Make sure that you complete the entrance counseling for whatever loans you accept. After than, make sure you sign your MPN. Those things should all be done through the .gov Web site.

User avatar
wellington
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby wellington » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:58 pm

Did you get a follow up email from SMU (in your SMU email account) AFTER doing the loan counseling and signing the MPN (or MPNs, like I did before realizing you could do it all it once to save time ...)?

tinyone
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby tinyone » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:48 pm

Does anyone know when we can expect to receive our section assignment/schedule?? I think someone had posted the schedule for the sections previously but I can't find the info. If someone could re-post it I would greatly appreciate it!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Christinabruin, emirleee, Leliana, lillawyer2, Majestic-12 [Bot], mmengden, root_beer, spursforever and 21 guests