SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalvano

Diamond

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:03 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:Any particular reason you want to go to Wake? I went there for undergrad, and the thought of spending my mid-20s in Winston Salem has me very depressed.

I can't stand Texas. And I'm 30 and married, so a hopping nightlife really isn't high on my list. Give me some place with real seasons, better weather, and where 6.5 million people aren't all jammed into one area.

Bado

New

Post by Bado » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:17 am

chrisokc wrote:
Bado wrote:I'm moving from Houston to SMU in August. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good, but close, off campus apartment, or any information about the best areas to move into. I've only been to Dallas a few times and am not too familiar with the area. I also have a big dog (about 70 lbs.) and I'm a little worried about an apartment complex letting me move that big mutt in the place. Any advice would be appreciated.
I can tell you that right now there are literally dozens of apartments located just to the west of campus. Drive the streets and take down some phone numbers. Many of them are really nice and very expensive. Others are older and not as expensive. I'm talking about walking-distance to campus. A lot of them are independently-owned and are likely not advertised. The apartments in the Village are a good option, but the ones right by campus are tough to beat. If you found the right apartment in that area, you could actually get by without a car. Snider Plaza has everything you need.
Thanks, for the advise; I guess I just really need to take a trip up there for a weekend and look around.

cafloyd12

New

Post by cafloyd12 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Has anybody received any information or timelines about the financial aid and loan process from the school? I've filled out the fafsa, but I've not received any paperwork or emails from the school about how to move forward.

SummerLaw

Bronze

Post by SummerLaw » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:04 pm

texag08 wrote:Anyone giving up a PT slot?
I gave up my PT spot and $$ earlier this week - I hope you get it!

RSN_M3

Bronze

Post by RSN_M3 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:07 pm

I was accepted FT off the waitlist on Wednesday and received my packet in the mail last week while I was out of the country (155-157, 4.0+). Was waitlisted on 4/27/2010. Deposit deadline is next Wednesday. I'm really wavering right now between SMU and Wake. Being from Texas, I really want to go to a school here, but I've already sent in two deposits to Wake and have a lease starting 8/1. Thinking about driving to Dallas on Monday to check out the school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:03 pm

Thinking about driving to Dallas on Monday to check out the school.[/quote] Do it, but only if you wanna go to SMU. Everytime I'm on campus, I'm more and more convinced I wanna go there

CV108

New

Post by CV108 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:09 pm

RSN_M3 wrote:I was accepted FT off the waitlist on Wednesday and received my packet in the mail last week while I was out of the country (155-157, 4.0+). Was waitlisted on 4/27/2010. Deposit deadline is next Wednesday. I'm really wavering right now between SMU and Wake. Being from Texas, I really want to go to a school here, but I've already sent in two deposits to Wake and have a lease starting 8/1. Thinking about driving to Dallas on Monday to check out the school.
Did they call you when you got accepted/online checker change? i actually have similar numbers to you..and was waitlisted on 4/27..... Kind of upset I didn't get accepted when you did!

RSN_M3

Bronze

Post by RSN_M3 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:50 pm

Yes they called and left a message.

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:17 am

Has anyone heard anything about financial aid? Weren't we supposed to hear something by June first if we filed a
priority fafsa?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Saurus

New

Post by Saurus » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:23 pm

mbusch22 wrote:Has anyone heard anything about financial aid? Weren't we supposed to hear something by June first if we filed a
priority fafsa?

I was wondering this as well- I talked to someone in the admissions office last week, and they said that no one in our class has received anything regarding financial aid (besides scholarships). It's taking longer than it has in previous years due to the loan program shifting it's main source to the Federal Government. If you call and talk to an admissions counselor (or a financial aid person, if you can get them on the phone) they're pretty helpful with details.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:24 pm

mbusch22 wrote:Has anyone heard anything about financial aid? Weren't we supposed to hear something by June first if we filed a
priority fafsa?

It's still June.

wellington

Bronze

Post by wellington » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:14 pm

The packet says "after June 1st" and then goes on to emphasize that doesn't mean by June 1st.

After dealing with SMU for over a year (in terms of application/acceptance process), I wager that it'll be late June before they send us anything. I'm hoping it comes sooner than later. I mean, I'm three weeks or so out of moving to Dallas, and I know a handful of you that have already relocated. Be nice to know about our loan packages ... (living loans in particular)

callingsarah

New

Post by callingsarah » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:49 am

wellington wrote:The packet says "after June 1st" and then goes on to emphasize that doesn't mean by June 1st.

After dealing with SMU for over a year (in terms of application/acceptance process), I wager that it'll be late June before they send us anything. I'm hoping it comes sooner than later. I mean, I'm three weeks or so out of moving to Dallas, and I know a handful of you that have already relocated. Be nice to know about our loan packages ... (living loans in particular)
I've seen a couple of people say that we should expect 20,500 in federal loans if we take the max amount-- split 8,000/10,500 between subs/unsubs.

Does anyone know if this is true...?

And does anyone know what we should be planning on for books? I can't find that info anywhere....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wellington

Bronze

Post by wellington » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:06 pm

The SMU law website estimates 2010-11 book costs to be $1800.

Found here.

I have a friend who just finished his 1L at SMU that bought a lot of his from places like Amazon to save some $$ (much like many of us surely did for undergrad).

wellington

Bronze

Post by wellington » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:57 pm

I got an email today notifying me that my financial aid package was ready (via SMU email), and said it should be viewable through access. Nothing has changed yet though.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:25 pm

wellington wrote:I got an email today notifying me that my financial aid package was ready (via SMU email), and said it should be viewable through access. Nothing has changed yet though.
Same e-mail, no change on access.smu either.

DavidB

Bronze

Post by DavidB » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:26 pm

wellington wrote:I got an email today notifying me that my financial aid package was ready (via SMU email), and said it should be viewable through access. Nothing has changed yet though.
Same here--I received an email from SMU saying information is available, but this is the award info that's visible:

Aid Year Institution Aid Year Description
2011 Southern Methodist University Award access not available.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:37 pm

I'm with you guys. All I'm seeing is my scholarship $.

We have to wait for our awards before applying for grad plus loans for COL expenses, right?

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:38 pm

DavidB wrote:
Same here--I received an email from SMU saying information is available, but this is the award info that's visible:

Aid Year Institution Aid Year Description
2011 Southern Methodist University Award access not available.
Same email, I can see the scholarship amount, but no loans. What the heck? We need to make budgets here people!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:41 pm

I got the email as well. If you go to Access, it has your scholarship award, but not any Stafford or Grad PLUS award.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:58 pm

kalvano wrote:

I got the email as well. If you go to Access, it has your scholarship award, but not any Stafford or Grad PLUS award.
Give 'em a call and see what's up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:17 pm

no email yet...ugh this is so annoying

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:49 pm

All we had to do was submit a fafsa correct? I didn't get an email yet and now im
worried. I've never done this student loan thing and im worried I forgot or didn't know to do something. Should I be applying for other stuff? I won't need cost of living loans, just tuition. Any advice?

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:26 pm

mbusch22 wrote:All we had to do was submit a fafsa correct? I didn't get an email yet and now im
worried. I've never done this student loan thing and im worried I forgot or didn't know to do something. Should I be applying for other stuff? I won't need cost of living loans, just tuition. Any advice?
All you do is submit your FAFSA and wait for SMU to give you your award. I think.

wellington

Bronze

Post by wellington » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:35 pm

chrisokc wrote: All you do is submit your FAFSA and wait for SMU to give you your award. I think.
That's the way it's supposed to be.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”