SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
da87

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:52 pm

ladysixmonkey wrote:
da87 wrote:Official rejection letter today...hurt just a little bit. Oh well.

Sorry to hear that, Da87. What happens now? Are you in at any safety schools?

Baylor for the spring, which gives me some time off. But Baylor is a better school for what I want to do anyway, so I guess it will work out. I think not submitting my app for SMU early decision really killed my chances. The main reason SMU was my top choice was because that's where my family is and that's where I grew up.

ladysixmonkey

Postby ladysixmonkey » Mon May 03, 2010 11:54 pm

kalvano wrote:
ladysixmonkey wrote:
kalvano wrote:
ladysixmonkey wrote:Thanks for the request for clarification. I *specifically left out* any reference to BL. I'm just talking about jobs that pay enough for the moderate COL in the NTX area. I'm not talking about Friday's at Turtle Creek or living in Highland Village people...

You'll be fine, cost of living in Texas is very cheap.

Also, Highland Village isn't *that* expensive.

Well, at least temp edoc review work supposedly would pay the bills around here.

Check Craigslist jobs under the "legal" section. Worse comes to worse, they pay legal secretaries and paralegals $40K - $60K.

I suppose that as long as none of us resemble Skeletor http://failblog.org/2010/03/05/equal-opportunity-fail/ or dress this way http://failblog.org/2010/01/29/employment-fail-2/, we'll still be able to find jobs at Bed, Bath and Beyond. lol

ladysixmonkey

Postby ladysixmonkey » Tue May 04, 2010 12:08 am

nouseforaname123 wrote:
ladysixmonkey wrote:Ok, Debbie Downer here.

Although I'm excited about ls, I am dismayed by the poor job prospects after graduation. Each person seems to believe that he or she will be one of the chosen few to find a well-paying job. Of course, most of us won't. Is anyone even considering this while making plans for the fall?

FWIW, a first year professor that I respect a lot said that in good economic times roughly top 27 to 29% is where you want to be at SMU. He then followed that up by encouraging 70% of the class to go get a refund from the registrar and drop out. I think he was only half joking. Current economy, nobody knows precisely but the consensus seems to be top 10 to 15% (the 15% figure comes from someone who is supposed to overstate this stuff).

If you know this going in, plan accordingly, minimize debt and you should be able to make good decisions as you move on. Please note, 1st semester grades don't come out until around Feb. 1, well into the second semester. By that point, most people are going to stick it out through the end of first year. If for whatever reason you want to take a "wait and see how I do and possibly cut my losses" type approach, plan on completing a full first year.

This is sort of the plan. The kicker about this, though, is that all those dropping out will bring down the rank of people who previously believed they were in the top % range, especially those on the lower end of the range.

Texasboundanddown

Postby Texasboundanddown » Tue May 04, 2010 12:37 am

Does your scholarship info come with your acceptance letter? I called today and asked and the lady on the phone said for some they do and for a few they get money a few days later in the mail. Is that true? When did others get theirs (if don't mind asking)?

DavidB

Postby DavidB » Tue May 04, 2010 1:38 am

Texasboundanddown wrote:Does your scholarship info come with your acceptance letter? I called today and asked and the lady on the phone said for some they do and for a few they get money a few days later in the mail. Is that true? When did others get theirs (if don't mind asking)?

I had two letters in my acceptance packet, one congratulating on admission and the other offering the scholarship. I was also told the scholarship amount during the acceptance phone call on the day of DR.

ladysixmonkey

Postby ladysixmonkey » Tue May 04, 2010 1:39 am

betasteve wrote:
ladysixmonkey wrote:
nouseforaname123 wrote:
ladysixmonkey wrote:Ok, Debbie Downer here.

Although I'm excited about ls, I am dismayed by the poor job prospects after graduation. Each person seems to believe that he or she will be one of the chosen few to find a well-paying job. Of course, most of us won't. Is anyone even considering this while making plans for the fall?

FWIW, a first year professor that I respect a lot said that in good economic times roughly top 27 to 29% is where you want to be at SMU. He then followed that up by encouraging 70% of the class to go get a refund from the registrar and drop out. I think he was only half joking. Current economy, nobody knows precisely but the consensus seems to be top 10 to 15% (the 15% figure comes from someone who is supposed to overstate this stuff).

If you know this going in, plan accordingly, minimize debt and you should be able to make good decisions as you move on. Please note, 1st semester grades don't come out until around Feb. 1, well into the second semester. By that point, most people are going to stick it out through the end of first year. If for whatever reason you want to take a "wait and see how I do and possibly cut my losses" type approach, plan on completing a full first year.

This is sort of the plan. The kicker about this, though, is that all those dropping out will bring down the rank of people who previously believed they were in the top % range, especially those on the lower end of the range.

FYI there is very, very little attrition, here or generally in LS. Moreover, those dropping out won't really affect rankings.

Good to know, Betasteve. Thank you.

edit: Is the lack of change in each person's rank due to the timing of the ranking? Just curious.

DavidB

Postby DavidB » Tue May 04, 2010 10:57 am

My scholarship info is available via access.smu.edu this morning--I was a 4/19 DR, so if you're in that group your info might be available too.

texag08

Postby texag08 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:39 am

So those of you on the wait list, how are you feeling about things?

Gonna stick it out?

bebesu

Postby bebesu » Tue May 04, 2010 11:45 am

Anyone still at complete like me? I applied after the deadline.

minkins

Postby minkins » Wed May 05, 2010 10:22 am

Got the waitlist letter in the mail yesterday (3.6/164)... kinda surprised since I got scholarships to schools ranked much higher but I didn't apply early so I can't be too upset. Congrats to everyone who got accepted and will be attending. Looks like beautiful campus and a fun place to spend 3+ years!

raoul79

Postby raoul79 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:49 am

Just payed 400 dollar deposit...

Current Students who use Macs... Do you all use Bootcamp or VMWare to load up Windows?
How much $$ did you spend in obtaining Windows 7? Do you find yourself using only Windows as a result of Westlaw? Someone mentioned that SMU is a windows shop... Can someone elaborate?!?

I was thinking of using Bootcamp, but I don't want to be switching between Windows and Mac OS X. I want to be able to use Westlaw and still be able to use my Apple apps.

I love my macbook and plan to get a pro before August. I don't want to abandon these plans for a Windows only box, but it might make sense. For those who use bootcamp, how much space did you allocate for Windows and Mac OS X?

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Wed May 05, 2010 12:01 pm

I'm also interested in the computer issue. I have my T60 thinkpad from college and need a new one ASAP. I've been told to switch to a Mac for years and look like I'm going to be doing so this summer.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Wed May 05, 2010 12:06 pm

Also curious about the computer issue. Any current student suggestions?

texag08

Postby texag08 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:21 pm

Put your deposit down full or part time?

WLed here. Trying to figure out my odds. Any input would be great.

raoul79

Postby raoul79 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:24 pm

PT... GL!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 05, 2010 3:03 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:I'm also interested in the computer issue. I have my T60 thinkpad from college and need a new one ASAP. I've been told to switch to a Mac for years and look like I'm going to be doing so this summer.

fathergoose wrote:Also curious about the computer issue. Any current student suggestions?

Macbook Pro or a Lenovo.

raoul79

Postby raoul79 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:08 pm

raoul79 wrote:
Current Students who use Macs... Do you all use Bootcamp or VMWare to load up Windows?
How much $$ did you spend in obtaining Windows 7? Do you find yourself using only Windows as a result of Westlaw? Someone mentioned that SMU is a windows shop... Can someone elaborate?!?

I was thinking of using Bootcamp, but I don't want to be switching between Windows and Mac OS X. I want to be able to use Westlaw and still be able to use my Apple apps.

I love my macbook and plan to get a pro before August. I don't want to abandon these plans for a Windows only box, but it might make sense. For those who use bootcamp, how much space did you allocate for Windows and Mac OS X?

raoul79

Postby raoul79 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:24 pm

betasteve wrote:
raoul79 wrote:
raoul79 wrote:

You have to use bootcamp for Examsoft software. That's the only time I ever use windows. I don't have any problem access westlaw or lexis on my mac. Whoever told you there would be a problem doesn't know much about westlaw, lexis, or computers. HTH :P

No one mentioned it would be a problem... I simply want to be able to use Westlaw and my apple apps. Has anyone attempted to use VMWare/Windows instead of bootcamp?

How much space did you allocate for Windows on your Mac betasteve?

raoul79

Postby raoul79 » Wed May 05, 2010 7:54 pm

betasteve
you won't have problems using westlaw while running under OS X — Westlaw is just a website, and it works well in Safari. It is absolutely impossible, however, to use the exam software—Examsoft—through VMware or Parallels. You must boot into Windows for the exam soft package to work, or you are stuck handwriting your test in a bluebook.
I've got a 10 gig partition for bootcamp.

Awesome... My only experience with Westlaw was in the 1990's when my sister was in law school... If I remember correctly, it was an application back then. I am glad they have gone to a Web interface. I will still look in to getting a pro, but I might just set on keeping my macbook. Thanks for the clear up...

texag08

Postby texag08 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:37 pm

Who can tell me anything about the waitlist? SMU is my top choice and i am on the WL. 161 3.51.

nontradintexas

Postby nontradintexas » Thu May 06, 2010 12:02 am

kalvano wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:I'm also interested in the computer issue. I have my T60 thinkpad from college and need a new one ASAP. I've been told to switch to a Mac for years and look like I'm going to be doing so this summer.

fathergoose wrote:Also curious about the computer issue. Any current student suggestions?

Macbook Pro or a Lenovo.

Agree with the Lenovo. Bought a T500 last summer before starting & it has been great. Running Win 7 64-bit. It's not a Mac OS, but it works really well.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 06, 2010 12:07 am

nontradintexas wrote:It's not a Mac OS

That's a good thing if you know anything about computers.

Horns4LYFE

Postby Horns4LYFE » Thu May 06, 2010 12:20 am

Dell's are pretty cheap and very easy to fix. Keep in mind the average computer lifespan is 4 years. I used to have one, now I have a macbook pro.

I've seen lots of people in exams that have netbooks, and they seem to love them. I am picky when it comes to the size of the screen and having to "squint" at it. Keyboard size is important too.

If you have some *cough* scholarship money, or are looking to get a nice computer, buying a nice high-end mac is a great investment -- especially if you purchase the total care protection plan they have. If you ever have problems you just take your computer to a mac store and they fix it (or try to) on the spot -- Dell you have to schedule an appointment, and yeah it is nice to have the technician come to you, sometimes you just need to get things fixed quickly.

Betasteve is right, you must use bootcamp to boot up softest. No you dont HAVE to use a computer for exams, but from the amount of words I type in a 3 hour exam writing doesn't seem feasible -- especially the way exams are scored. But I know people who swear by bluebooks and have done well sans computer.

Keep your options open but make an educated decision. You don't want to spend low, only to have problems (which will always arise with technology) just to have to spend more.

utswdukie80

Postby utswdukie80 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:53 am

Has anyone from the recent batch of acceptances to the part-time program heard anything about scholarships yet?

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Thu May 06, 2010 3:50 pm

kalvano wrote:
nontradintexas wrote:It's not a Mac OS

That's a good thing if you know anything about computers.

+1

Windows 7 is the way to go.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”