SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
justsmu10

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby justsmu10 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:31 pm

Wow, that rejection letter is pretty harsh! Oh well, here's to kicking some lsat butt and trying again in '11.

da87

Postby da87 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:43 pm

justsmu10 wrote:Wow, that rejection letter is pretty harsh! Oh well, here's to kicking some lsat butt and trying again in '11.

Did you receive it today? When did you go DR?

DavidB

Postby DavidB » Sat May 01, 2010 7:53 pm

da87 wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:
bass08 wrote:Anyone headed to the ASD on May 20th? I just booked my flight/hotel--looking forward to checking everything out.

Found a package (hotel, flight, car) for like $400 out of DC, but still trying to see if I can afford it. I really should get down there since I'm blindly choosing SMU, but from what everyone has said, I won't be disappointed.

I might be biased, but you can't beat Dallas.

I think Fixer gave a pretty good summary here:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=99522&p=2714722#p2714722

Dallas is no Utopia, but there are far worse places to live. :)

bass08

Postby bass08 » Sat May 01, 2010 10:00 pm

raoul79 wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:
bass08 wrote:Anyone headed to the ASD on May 20th? I just booked my flight/hotel--looking forward to checking everything out.

Found a package (hotel, flight, car) for like $400 out of DC, but still trying to see if I can afford it. I really should get down there since I'm blindly choosing SMU, but from what everyone has said, I won't be disappointed.

I'll be there... Will you two be looking for a place to live? You all have any ideas? I'll probably try an apartment locator...

I'm probably going to be checking out the city to get an idea on housing options on that friday, since I'll be staying until Saturday. I just want to get an idea of the various neighborhoods/suburbs to see what the rent ranges are and where I might want to live. Maybe i'll run into you guys there and we can throw around housing ideas.

I've never been to Dallas so I figured I should visit before I am 100% committed, although I pretty much am now anyway :)

atfarmer

Postby atfarmer » Sun May 02, 2010 3:11 am

da87 wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:

I might be biased, but you can't beat Dallas.

The San Antonio Spurs disagree... :mrgreen:

Sorry, I know TLS is the wrong place for sports smack but that was such a golden opportunity. That and I'm bitter over being waitlisted haha

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Sun May 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Does anyone know the deadline for the second seat deposit offhand? I can't seem to find it in the website, and I'm out of town so I don't have any mailed materials with me.

wellington

Postby wellington » Sun May 02, 2010 1:58 pm

June 1st is the second deposit deadline.

squ1rtle

Postby squ1rtle » Sun May 02, 2010 1:58 pm

ec2xs wrote:Does anyone know the deadline for the second seat deposit offhand? I can't seem to find it in the website, and I'm out of town so I don't have any mailed materials with me.

June 1st

ladysixmonkey

Postby ladysixmonkey » Sun May 02, 2010 6:26 pm

Ok, Debbie Downer here.

Although I'm excited about ls, I am dismayed by the poor job prospects after graduation. Each person seems to believe that he or she will be one of the chosen few to find a well-paying job. Of course, most of us won't. Is anyone even considering this while making plans for the fall?

ClemTiger

Postby ClemTiger » Sun May 02, 2010 6:37 pm

ladysixmonkey wrote:Ok, Debbie Downer here.

Although I'm excited about ls, I am dismayed by the poor job prospects after graduation. Each person seems to believe that he or she will be one of the chosen few to find a well-paying job. Of course, most of us won't. Is anyone even considering this while making plans for the fall?

I'm hoping the economy will be significantly better by the time we graduate. I like our chances of finding a job in Dallas where the main competition are UT grads vs. a school like American here in D.C. which is similarly ranked, but has to compete with W&M, W&L, UVA, GMU, Richmond, GW, MD, and Georgetown grads for jobs.

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:43 pm

FWIW, a first year professor that I respect a lot said that in good economic times roughly top 27 to 29% is where you want to be at SMU. He then followed that up by encouraging 70% of the class to go get a refund from the registrar and drop out. I think he was only half joking. Current economy, nobody knows precisely but the consensus seems to be top 10 to 15% (the 15% figure comes from someone who is supposed to overstate this stuff).

If you know this going in, plan accordingly, minimize debt and you should be able to make good decisions as you move on. Please note, 1st semester grades don't come out until around Feb. 1, well into the second semester. By that point, most people are going to stick it out through the end of first year. If for whatever reason you want to take a "wait and see how I do and possibly cut my losses" type approach, plan on completing a full first year.

eb5207

Postby eb5207 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Did you guys get info about the Admitted Students Day in your packets? I'm just trying to find out what this is all about and whether or not it made the trip.

Saurus

Postby Saurus » Mon May 03, 2010 3:15 pm

OK, please define "well-paying." After a fair amount of time lurking on these TLS forums, I often find that this particualr phrase is referring to biglaw salary. Keep in mind that not everyone here is gunning for biglaw... after working at a V10 firm for the past two years as a paralegal, I can honestly say that is not the light (for me anyways) at the end of this law school tunnel.....

ladysixmonkey

Postby ladysixmonkey » Mon May 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Thanks for the request for clarification. I *specifically left out* any reference to BL. I'm just talking about jobs that pay enough for the moderate COL in the NTX area. I'm not talking about Friday's at Turtle Creek or living in Highland Village people...

Saurus

Postby Saurus » Mon May 03, 2010 3:28 pm

Ladysix- I'm not directing this rant at you, but towards people in general on this forum/website...

Also, I would like to continue my rant a little bit.... yes, going to law school is a risky venture, especially "in this economy"- a phrase I'm becoming sick of- but sometimes you have to set your sights on something and go for it. The real risk is somebody becoming so wishy-washy with the uncertain economic future that they sit on their ass without following through any actual plan.

There are plenty of other things we could do besides law school, but some of the same risks regarding debt (and time spent not making money) are still prevelant everywhere- Getting an MBA (debt) starting a company (time not making money) are risky ventures as well. I suppose we could obtain a better income in a shorter period of time if we go into, say, finance or some business related field, but: Wanna talk about competive? Getting a "well paying" job in any field nowadays with only your bachelors is arguably more difficult than getting a similar paying job after law school.

Sorry for the rant, I needed to get that out. And of course, like any major life decision, think seriously about law school, but keep in mind any significant strive towards success is going to be risky, I don't care what it is.

FB567

Postby FB567 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:04 pm

MissJ10 wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:
jgrin wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:Waitlisted.

:x

SOOO lame. You have pretty solid numbers too.

Who is going to get accepted? This makes me wonder if they are really not considering numbers to be the most important aspect of an application at this point in the process...

Blah.

LOCI time, except that apparently they don't "accept" those?

ya... about that.... I had a friend call about that today, and they definitely reaffirmed that you should not send updated materials, LOCIs, or take the June LSAT, because that will not help you get off the waitlist. I feel like this is an awful, law-school version of Survivor.

Um I called today and was told I could send in anything to supplement my application. Are we supposed to get waitlist letters?

da87

Postby da87 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:25 pm

Official rejection letter today...hurt just a little bit. Oh well.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Mon May 03, 2010 4:30 pm

da87 wrote:Official rejection letter today...hurt just a little bit. Oh well.

That sucks - sorry to hear it.

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Mon May 03, 2010 4:32 pm

+1 - At least it wasn't a bunch of "fluff" on paper. Direct and to the point. I can respect that.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon May 03, 2010 4:35 pm

ladysixmonkey wrote:Thanks for the request for clarification. I *specifically left out* any reference to BL. I'm just talking about jobs that pay enough for the moderate COL in the NTX area. I'm not talking about Friday's at Turtle Creek or living in Highland Village people...

You'll be fine, cost of living in Texas is very cheap.

Also, Highland Village isn't *that* expensive.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon May 03, 2010 4:35 pm

CmonSD wrote:

+1 - At least it wasn't a bunch of "fluff" on paper. Direct and to the point. I can respect that.

What does it say? Enough people have posted that I am curious about it.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Mon May 03, 2010 4:37 pm

kalvano wrote:
CmonSD wrote:

What does it say? Enough people have posted that I am curious about it.

Yeah, somebody post a copy...

ladysixmonkey

Postby ladysixmonkey » Mon May 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Sorry to hear that, Da87. What happens now? Are you in at any safety schools?

ladysixmonkey

Postby ladysixmonkey » Mon May 03, 2010 5:21 pm

kalvano wrote:
ladysixmonkey wrote:Thanks for the request for clarification. I *specifically left out* any reference to BL. I'm just talking about jobs that pay enough for the moderate COL in the NTX area. I'm not talking about Friday's at Turtle Creek or living in Highland Village people...

Well, at least temp edoc review work supposedly would pay the bills around here.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon May 03, 2010 5:22 pm

ladysixmonkey wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Well, at least temp edoc review work supposedly would pay the bills around here.

Check Craigslist jobs under the "legal" section. Worse comes to worse, they pay legal secretaries and paralegals $40K - $60K.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”