SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
keg411

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby keg411 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:24 pm

DavidB wrote:
keg411 wrote:You were the 164/sub 3 right? Weren't you complete a while before me?
And yes, I'm FT/PT, though my app is pretty skewed to PT since my first score was a 162.

Yes, I'm 164/2.9. I was complete 3/1 (everything was really in by 2/15, but there was a mail delivery delay with one LOR).

For me I actually had everything in 1/28, but they were holding my application for my February LSAT score which took a while to get there. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised I wasn't in your batch -- unless they reviewed most of your app without the one LOR. Who knows... I'm the only splitter left waiting on TLS.

lawschoolhopeful189

Postby lawschoolhopeful189 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:15 pm

First post! I'll throw my hat in...

3.62 (4.0)
10 Year WE
Live in Dallas
Complete 02/24
P/T Only

Nothing yet. Probably because I applied so late. I know I'm below the medians, even for part-time, but I'm still hopeful...

CV108

Postby CV108 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:55 am

I read earlier that schools can see where you put deposits down at other schools...
Does anyone know if this helps or hurts you? I obviously had to put a seat deposit down, as I'm still waiting to hear from SMU.
Thanks for any insight! Hope we hear soon...

Yacht_Party

Postby Yacht_Party » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:19 am

CV108 wrote:I read earlier that schools can see where you put deposits down at other schools...
Does anyone know if this helps or hurts you? I obviously had to put a seat deposit down, as I'm still waiting to hear from SMU.
Thanks for any insight! Hope we hear soon...

SMU probably expects applicants who are still waiting to hear to have deposited elsewhere. You're kind of in a bind if you're hearing ~April 30, as so many deadlines for other schools have passed. So I would doubt it would hurt you. What WOULD hurt you is having a binding commitment to another school (but if that's the case, you either made a serious mistake or we wouldn't be having this conversation at all).

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:39 am

A little help here...

I decided to search craigslist for apts in the area...I saw something that was available immediately and decided to email even though I won't be renting until August (sounds like a great deal)...here's the listing

--LinkRemoved--

So I email the person about my situation and pretty much get an auto response listed below:

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in the shared property we have listed, It's currently unoccupied and available, I have included some pics from the place for you to see. I'm fairly sure I stated this in my advert, but heres a little info about the property - It is presently furnished, but I can quickly put things into / get stuff out of storage to fulfill your needs and the laundry area contains a washer and dryer. Also, theres a parking space and well behaved pets are ok.

The standard lease is for an initial 6 months, with longer extensions available, however shorter or longer leases can be discussed if you decide to take the place. We prefer to deal with each tenant separately and so you will only be responsible for yourself and your own share of the rent (utilities are already included in this cost). We will normally find the other roommate - unless you have one lined up.

In order to avoid pointless costs for both of us, I do not currently perform a check on your rental history nor a background check but I do require a credit check be performed. In order to rent my property you need to have a credit score of 620 or higher. If needs be, I am able to make exceptions but you must bring a copy of your report and an explanation so that we can discuss. You can get a copy of your report free below:
http://www.scoreassure.net

I respect your privacy so please don't email your credit report to me just be prepared to bring along a copy dated within the last 7 days with you. As long as you meet the credit requirements you will not be required to put down a security deposit or pet deposit on this place.

I have already arranged to meet with 2 people tomorrow, if youre open I can schedule you in late afternoon tomorrow or the day after. Hopefully I can walk you around the property either tomorrow or within the next few days.

This seems way too good to be true, but really sketchy. Thoughts?

jrjd28

Postby jrjd28 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:46 am

lil_joolee wrote:
jrjd28 wrote:New TLS member, but I've been keeping up with SMU and others. I was stuck at 1/19 (first complete 1/7) and finally went DR on Friday, but it's dated 4/26. Haven't heard anything today. Rough wait, but we'll see soon.

Oh, yeah, and stats: 158/3.8.

same thing happened to me! i'm still waiting 157/3.6

Well, lil jools, I feel your pain. I spent all of yesterday on pins and needles... y nada. But at least now I know they didn't lose my application, which was my biggest irrational fear. :)

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:55 am

SpencerPratt wrote:This seems way too good to be true, but really sketchy. Thoughts?

It's probably just because I'm old, grumpy, and paranoid... but I don't trust anything on craigslist.

ladysixmonkey

Postby ladysixmonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:12 am

SpencerPratt wrote:

Yeah, it does, but there's an easy way to check this out. Ask them what type of dwelling this is (e. g. apt., house, townhouse) and what kind of neighborhood it's in. Then, look at the street view on Google maps. I seem to recall that this area should have houses, but don't quote me on that. See if his response matches the actual view.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:14 am

SpencerPratt wrote:A little help here...

I decided to search craigslist for apts in the area...I saw something that was available immediately and decided to email even though I won't be renting until August (sounds like a great deal)...here's the listing

--LinkRemoved--

So I email the person about my situation and pretty much get an auto response listed below:

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in the shared property we have listed, It's currently unoccupied and available, I have included some pics from the place for you to see. I'm fairly sure I stated this in my advert, but heres a little info about the property - It is presently furnished, but I can quickly put things into / get stuff out of storage to fulfill your needs and the laundry area contains a washer and dryer. Also, theres a parking space and well behaved pets are ok.

The standard lease is for an initial 6 months, with longer extensions available, however shorter or longer leases can be discussed if you decide to take the place. We prefer to deal with each tenant separately and so you will only be responsible for yourself and your own share of the rent (utilities are already included in this cost). We will normally find the other roommate - unless you have one lined up.

In order to avoid pointless costs for both of us, I do not currently perform a check on your rental history nor a background check but I do require a credit check be performed. In order to rent my property you need to have a credit score of 620 or higher. If needs be, I am able to make exceptions but you must bring a copy of your report and an explanation so that we can discuss. You can get a copy of your report free below:
http://www.scoreassure.net

I respect your privacy so please don't email your credit report to me just be prepared to bring along a copy dated within the last 7 days with you. As long as you meet the credit requirements you will not be required to put down a security deposit or pet deposit on this place.

I have already arranged to meet with 2 people tomorrow, if youre open I can schedule you in late afternoon tomorrow or the day after. Hopefully I can walk you around the property either tomorrow or within the next few days.

What is the address of the property?

ladysixmonkey

Postby ladysixmonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:17 am

Another thing you should consider is that while many places in the NTX area rent individual rooms of large apts to each person, they typically have each person sign a separate lease. A legit place does this. The downside is that you might get stuck with dbags or druggies. Not trying to be negative, but I'm just thinking about the possibility of dealing with a annoying people doing loud things and not caring about being dbags while you are trying to work on the legal writing assignments. :)

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:18 am

chrisokc wrote:What is the address of the property?

Milton Ave at Ariline

That's all it says in the description

Here's a google map link, which shows its money location

http://maps.google.com/?q=loc%3A+Milton ... llas+TX+US

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:21 am

SpencerPratt wrote:
chrisokc wrote:What is the address of the property?

Milton Ave at Ariline

That's all it says in the description

Here's a google map link, which shows its money location

http://maps.google.com/?q=loc%3A+Milton ... llas+TX+US

I'd get the actual address and speak with someone on the phone before I gave any information about myself. On a side note, I will be living on Milton, so we could be neighbors.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:22 am

The guy I'm renting from is on a mission trip in Nigeria, so I just mailed him an envelope with the cash for the deposit.

ladysixmonkey

Postby ladysixmonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:23 am

chrisokc wrote:The guy I'm renting from is on a mission trip in Nigeria, so I just mailed him an envelope with the cash for the deposit.

Classic.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:25 am

ladysixmonkey wrote:
chrisokc wrote:The guy I'm renting from is on a mission trip in Nigeria, so I just mailed him an envelope with the cash for the deposit.

Classic.

I know - it's a 6,500 sq. foot house for under $900/month. I figured I better jump all over it.

UTL_plz

Postby UTL_plz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:36 am

HOLY $%%%

nice find

lil_joolee

Postby lil_joolee » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:39 am

jrjd28 wrote:
lil_joolee wrote:
jrjd28 wrote:New TLS member, but I've been keeping up with SMU and others. I was stuck at 1/19 (first complete 1/7) and finally went DR on Friday, but it's dated 4/26. Haven't heard anything today. Rough wait, but we'll see soon.

Oh, yeah, and stats: 158/3.8.

same thing happened to me! i'm still waiting 157/3.6

Well, lil jools, I feel your pain. I spent all of yesterday on pins and needles... y nada. But at least now I know they didn't lose my application, which was my biggest irrational fear. :)

haha ya i emailed them like a month ago asking them about my app and they assured me that they didn't lose it...now if they'll just let me know if i'm rejected/accepted or waitlisted. :(

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:42 am

Yeah, I would not want to rent out a place not knowing my roommate. That was fine in undergrad when you're both freshman male/female students, but not when you can be paired with pretty much anyone (male/female, student/non-student, drug lord). I'm assuming you can just approach the company with a roommate in mind and live together while signing separate leases. I just didn't know there were places that cheap around the law school. That is great to know.

Unless they're just working for http://www.scoreassure.net and getting hits for the site while having no intention of renting to you (or even having a listing)...

RadMobile

Postby RadMobile » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:01 am

Decision Rendered as of 10 am. today.

ClemTiger

Postby ClemTiger » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:01 am

RadMobile wrote:Decision Rendered as of 10 am. today.

+1

lawschoolhopeful189

Postby lawschoolhopeful189 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:06 am

+1

ladysixmonkey

Postby ladysixmonkey » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:07 am

SpencerPratt wrote:Yeah, I would not want to rent out a place not knowing my roommate. That was fine in undergrad when you're both freshman male/female students, but not when you can be paired with pretty much anyone (male/female, student/non-student, drug lord). I'm assuming you can just approach the company with a roommate in mind and live together while signing separate leases. I just didn't know there were places that cheap around the law school. That is great to know.

Unless they're just working for http://www.scoreassure.net and getting hits for the site while having no intention of renting to you (or even having a listing)...

That price is too good to be true, unfortunately. :)
It's going to cost a bit more than that, I'm sorry to say.

utswdukie80

Postby utswdukie80 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:10 am

You can include me in that DR 4/27 group... Good luck everyone!

da87

Postby da87 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:12 am

lawschoolhopeful189 wrote:+1

RadMobile wrote:Decision Rendered as of 10 am. today.

utswdukie80 wrote:You can include me in that DR 4/27 group... Good luck everyone!

Stats and complete dates of those with DR? Sorry if you have already posted them somewhere on this board, I can't remember who has and hasn't. And FT? PT? Both?
Last edited by da87 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

UTL_plz

Postby UTL_plz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:13 am

GL to those with drs.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”