SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby keg411 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:54 am

shum0407 wrote:
texag08 wrote:Those that still havent heard anything or had an update, what are your stats?

I am in this category, numbers are 161 3.41.


I'm 161/3.63 and still have not heard anything either :(


I'm a 165/sub3. But I was complete in mid-March since they were waiting for my Feb. LSAT. FT/PT.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:20 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:Since I can't rent a car (not 25 yet)



Check Hertz, I think they did away with the under-25 penalty.

lil_joolee
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby lil_joolee » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:54 pm

ClemTiger wrote:
lil_joolee wrote:my status just changed today to DR, but the date posted is 4/26...what does that mean?! i'm scared.

157/3.6


Did your degree change to "JD Evening" if you applied to PT/FT?


I applied for FT

User avatar
SpencerPratt
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby SpencerPratt » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:59 pm

kalvano wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:Since I can't rent a car (not 25 yet)



Check Hertz, I think they did away with the under-25 penalty.


Good call. A brief search shows it's an additional $15 per day for persons between the ages of 21-24.

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:17 pm

texag08 wrote:Those that still havent heard anything or had an update, what are your stats?

I am in this category, numbers are 161 3.41.


158/3.6. Good softs, excellent recs, Dallas native. Went complete 2/3 and haven't heard anything since. FT/PT

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:30 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:
kalvano wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:Since I can't rent a car (not 25 yet)



Check Hertz, I think they did away with the under-25 penalty.


Good call. A brief search shows it's an additional $15 per day for persons between the ages of 21-24.



I'd rent a car if you can swing the extra $30. Dallas is such a car city and you'll be able to see a lot more.

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:25 pm

Who has a good prediction of what will happen this week?

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby jgrin » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:12 pm

da87 wrote:Who has a good prediction of what will happen this week?


Predicting most of us see waitlists. I predict very few rejections coming out this week, as well as very few acceptances.

texag08
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:03 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby texag08 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:10 am

What are your odds to get offerred a seat if you are WL'ed?

What makes you think we are going to all get WL'ed?

DavidB
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:28 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby DavidB » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:50 am

texag08 wrote:What are your odds to get offerred a seat if you are WL'ed?


I think that will be hard to predict. All schools accept more applicants than will actually enroll, under the assumption that enough applicants remain to have a full class. If more applicants withdraw than the school's statistical models have predicted, they'll offer to admission those on the waitlist to ensure a full class.

In one of the prospective student seminars, Keehan explained that SMU's waitlist is not ordered. They rather try to replace an applicant who has withdrawn with an applicant who has a similar profile and not necessarily choose an applicant based solely on GPA/LSAT. Maybe it was an applicant with a graduate degree in science who has published, maybe it was a single mother with an interesting background.

texasforever
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby texasforever » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:51 am

anyone else's status change on 4/22? seems like different peoples' changed on different days (4/21, 4/22, 4/23, 4/26)

tarheel354
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby tarheel354 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:53 am

Any DR today??

Went Dr on Thursday, but wasn't there an ASD on friday? Hoping they were busy and made no calls bc of that and mine comes today....

tarheel354
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby tarheel354 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:58 am

texasforever wrote:anyone else's status change on 4/22? seems like different peoples' changed on different days (4/21, 4/22, 4/23, 4/26)



Yea mine did on 4/22. Praying for a call

ClemTiger
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby ClemTiger » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:06 am

texasforever wrote:anyone else's status change on 4/22? seems like different peoples' changed on different days (4/21, 4/22, 4/23, 4/26)


Are you FT/PT? If so, did your degree on your status checker change to "JD Evening?"

eb5207
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:59 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby eb5207 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:11 am

My Compete date changed from 1/28 to 4/22 on the 22nd, but that's it. No DR.

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:13 am

eb5207 wrote:My Compete date changed from 1/28 to 4/22 on the 22nd, but that's it. No DR.



Stats? And when did you go complete initially?

eb5207
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:59 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby eb5207 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:15 am

da87 wrote:
eb5207 wrote:My Compete date changed from 1/28 to 4/22 on the 22nd, but that's it. No DR.



Stats? And when did you go complete initially?



I went complete initially on 11/14. 159/3.96

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:26 am

Any other status changes today?

texasforever
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby texasforever » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:33 am

eb5207 wrote:
da87 wrote:
eb5207 wrote:My Compete date changed from 1/28 to 4/22 on the 22nd, but that's it. No DR.



Stats? And when did you go complete initially?



I went complete initially on 11/14. 159/3.96


We have almost the exact same stats. Hoping they give the high gpa lower LSAT people a shot this year. 157, 3.98 full time only status change 4/22

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby fathergoose » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:35 am

texasforever wrote:
eb5207 wrote:
da87 wrote:
eb5207 wrote:My Compete date changed from 1/28 to 4/22 on the 22nd, but that's it. No DR.



Stats? And when did you go complete initially?



I went complete initially on 11/14. 159/3.96


We have almost the exact same stats. Hoping they give the high gpa lower LSAT people a shot this year. 157, 3.98 full time only status change 4/22


They would have to let in a couple reverse splitters to balance out the regular splitters like me. I like your chances.

eb5207
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:59 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby eb5207 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:46 am

texasforever wrote:
eb5207 wrote:
da87 wrote:
eb5207 wrote:My Compete date changed from 1/28 to 4/22 on the 22nd, but that's it. No DR.



Stats? And when did you go complete initially?



I went complete initially on 11/14. 159/3.96


We have almost the exact same stats. Hoping they give the high gpa lower LSAT people a shot this year. 157, 3.98 full time only status change 4/22


Very similar stats Yay for overachievement. Did your complete date change? or did you go DR?

futurejd_kl
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:18 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby futurejd_kl » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:49 am

Does anyone know if the admissions office looks at GPAs as a straight up numbers game? Or will they take into consideration your undergrad school and major?

For example, I did chemical engineering at UC Berkeley for my undergrad and graduated with a 3.3GPA. I have a lot of friends who went to UT and studied business that graduated with 3.8-4.0GPAs without breaking a sweat. (Disclaimer: I'm not trying to bash anyone that majored in business, just my own subjective opinion that chemical engineering appears to be a more difficult major).

Also I went DR on 4/22, but have not heard anything yet. I read there were a lot of PT acceptances last week - but has anyone that went DR for FT last week gotten a phone call or an acceptance?

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:04 pm

futurejd_kl wrote:Does anyone know if the admissions office looks at GPAs as a straight up numbers game? Or will they take into consideration your undergrad school and major?

For example, I did chemical engineering at UC Berkeley for my undergrad and graduated with a 3.3GPA. I have a lot of friends who went to UT and studied business that graduated with 3.8-4.0GPAs without breaking a sweat. (Disclaimer: I'm not trying to bash anyone that majored in business, just my own subjective opinion that chemical engineering appears to be a more difficult major).

Also I went DR on 4/22, but have not heard anything yet. I read there were a lot of PT acceptances last week - but has anyone that went DR for FT last week gotten a phone call or an acceptance?


No regular decision FT acceptances that we know of yet.

User avatar
SpencerPratt
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby SpencerPratt » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:04 pm

I was accepted with a very low GPA from a top private school in a tough major. SMU has given me the impression that they look past the numbers. GL.

User avatar
wellington
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby wellington » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:06 pm

Future I would say SMU is similar to other law schools.

So, yes, they take into account that you had a hard major at a school that could be considered more difficult than others. But the sad thing is, the numbers game hurts those of us who take on more difficult studies. At the end of the day, rankings like US News only look at GPA and LSAT, regardless of major.

I like to think SMU, like Spencer said, would take it into account more than just numbers (as the school isn't as obsessed with US News as it is with placing students in decent jobs after grad). It's highly likely if it came down between you and several other applicants with similar numbers but "easier" majors (most liberal arts, a lot of business schools, etc), you would have a leg up in that consideration.

Good luck to you and to the rest of you waiting to hear back.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, blahblah123, fazzvm56, Ferrisjso, j431e782, joeytribbiani, joezze, NotAGolfer, okf731, potterotter and 23 guests