SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Bustang

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Bustang » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:13 pm

Stryka wrote:
Bustang wrote:It seems as though the blood bath prediction was a correct one. Here's to hoping we're wrong.

???looks like these DR may be rejections?

Dunno about today's (they could still call tomorrow) but the 4/19 people.. probably. It's just very interesting to me: Why doesn't SMU simply pick the 20-30 people to fill the remainder of the class and reject everyone else simultaneously? Why reject only a few at a time for a 4 week period?

Stryka

Postby Stryka » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Bustang wrote:
Stryka wrote:
Bustang wrote:It seems as though the blood bath prediction was a correct one. Here's to hoping we're wrong.

Dunno about today's (they could still call tomorrow) but the 4/19 people.. probably. It's just very interesting to me: Why doesn't SMU simply pick the 20-30 people to fill the remainder of the class and reject everyone else simultaneously? Why reject only a few at a time for a 4 week period?

Didn't someone say earlier they still have over half the class to fill?

Yacht_Party

Postby Yacht_Party » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:23 pm

+1

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:27 pm

Stryka wrote:
Bustang wrote:
Stryka wrote:

The theory that they still have half of the class to fill may not be accurate. That information was given at the March ASD. But at that point they didn't know how many seat deposits they would receive. This year, an unusually high percentage of those accepted may have deposited. Applicants are more concerned this year with employment prospects - one of SMU's strengths. Quite a few posters on this thread were also accepted at several higher-ranked schools each. I'm sure the school uses some sort of statistical method to determine how many applicants to accept. A substantial deviation in the number of deposits received could cause the school to alter its standard procedures.

Stryka

Postby Stryka » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:29 pm

chrisokc wrote:
Bustang wrote:
Stryka wrote:

The theory that they still have half of the class to fill may not be accurate. That information was given at the March ASD. But at that point they didn't know how many seat deposits they would receive. This year, an unusually high percentage of those accepted may have deposited. Applicants are more concerned this year with employment prospects - one of SMU's strengths. Quite a few posters on this thread were also accepted at several higher-ranked schools each. I'm sure the school uses some sort of statistical method to determine how many applicants to accept. A substantial deviation in the number of deposits received could cause the school to alter its standard procedures.[/quote]

so in other words, we have no idea, just as usual lol,

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:44 pm

[/quote]so in other words, we have no idea, just as usual lol,[/quote]
Well, the best plan seems to be to deposit at your second best option (hoping you have that narrowed to one) and just be patient with SMU. Now that I think about it, that is really your only option. Trying to guess their method is pointless. They may not be reading the applications in any sort of order. The applications may have been in a stack that got cut like playing cards and then distributed to different staff members. Something like that could make the process seem random.

If I was waiting, I would take a realistic, objective look at my numbers and then study LSN. From what I've noticed, there don't seem to be many FT applicants with sub-162 LSATs being accepted.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:49 pm

I bet some, if not all schools just read the applications on the computer. In that case, they may be in an order based on LSAC ID number or something along those lines. 3,000 applications multiplied by around 10 pages each would be a lot of paper to toss around the admissions office. If they are all being sorted electronically, you can be assured that they are able to easily filter applications based on LSAT & GPA.

jgrin

Postby jgrin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:13 pm

By looking at LSN from last year, it looks like the people that made it to the last week before their decision deadline were mostly all WLed. If the same hold true for this year, it looks like a lot of us are bound for the WL

fixer

Postby fixer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:29 pm

Yes, Bloodbath. It's official. Rejected today via snail mail. Good luck everybody. Perhaps I'll see you around town.

jgrin

Postby jgrin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:57 pm

I wonder if anything will happen tomorrow....

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:59 pm

fixer wrote:Yes, Bloodbath. It's official. Rejected today via snail mail. Good luck everybody. Perhaps I'll see you around town.

Sorry to hear that Fixer. I was rootin' for ya.

fixer

Postby fixer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:12 am

Sangiovese wrote:
fixer wrote:Yes, Bloodbath. It's official. Rejected today via snail mail. Good luck everybody. Perhaps I'll see you around town.

Sorry to hear that Fixer. I was rootin' for ya.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I have been keeping up with you on LSN and TLS as well. Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise. I could imagine being quite distracted by the familiarity of SMU and the surrounding area, not to mention the money I'll save going elsewhere. I am an older student and I am not blinded by the "big law salary or bust" illusion many younger candidates experience. Regardless of my enrollement I am excited about the education. Best of luck to you. I still intend to spend my Saturdays on the Boulevard during home football games. Pony up.

da87

Postby da87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:02 pm

Still no status change for me

sweet02215

Postby sweet02215 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:05 pm

da87 wrote:Still no status change for me

+1

texasforever

Postby texasforever » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:25 pm

my status date changed yesterday (from 1/7 to 4/22) but I'm still at application completed.. likewise for anyone else?

clairecate

Postby clairecate » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:28 pm

sweet02215 wrote:

+1

nothing here either, but i didn't think there'd be any DR's today since it's the ASD and they've got their hands full. Well kids, look like we're down to the wire, I hope we hear something monday! i have a sneaking suspicion most of us are going to be WL'd though if you look at last year's boards this close to the decisions deadline...

jgrin

Postby jgrin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:50 pm

texasforever wrote:my status date changed yesterday (from 1/7 to 4/22) but I'm still at application completed.. likewise for anyone else?

NO, but I think this is a very good sequence, in terms of an acceptance. You should go DR either tomorrow (mostly likely not because its Saturday) or on Monday.

Good Luck.

da87

Postby da87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:51 pm

clairecate wrote:
sweet02215 wrote:

+1

nothing here either, but i didn't think there'd be any DR's today since it's the ASD and they've got their hands full. Well kids, look like we're down to the wire, I hope we hear something monday! i have a sneaking suspicion most of us are going to be WL'd though if you look at last year's boards this close to the decisions deadline...

Yes that's possible, but last year before this time they had also sent out a round of acceptances to regular decision full time. They haven't done that yet this year, which could mean good news for us. Also, apparantly last year they had an unusual high amount of seat deposits, which I have yet to hear about this year.

da87

Postby da87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:52 pm

jgrin wrote:
texasforever wrote:my status date changed yesterday (from 1/7 to 4/22) but I'm still at application completed.. likewise for anyone else?

NO, but I think this is a very good sequence, in terms of an acceptance. You should go DR either tomorrow (mostly likely not because its Saturday) or on Monday.

Good Luck.

Texasforever, what are your stats?

texasforever

Postby texasforever » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:56 pm

157, 3.98 non-urm.. here's to hoping my inherent overachieverism makes up for lackluster standardized testing ability

utswdukie80

Postby utswdukie80 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:14 pm

My status checker changed to JD Evening and updated to today's date. That's probably an acceptance to the part-time program, correct? Stats are 164, 3.18 if interested.

Edit: I applied to both the day and evening program.

ClemTiger

Postby ClemTiger » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:18 pm

utswdukie80 wrote:My status checker changed to JD Evening and updated to today's date. That's probably an acceptance to the part-time program, correct? Stats are 164, 3.18 if interested.

Mine just did the exact same. I applied to both programs with a preference for PT and it updated to Application Completed, 4/23/2010, degree JD evening.

My GPA is significantly higher and LSAT is significantly lower. If anyone wants my stats, you are welcome to PM me.

Praying this is an acceptance to the part time!!

da87

Postby da87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:27 pm

utswdukie80 wrote:My status checker changed to JD Evening and updated to today's date. That's probably an acceptance to the part-time program, correct? Stats are 164, 3.18 if interested.

Yes, sounds like it! When did you go complete?

ClemTiger

Postby ClemTiger » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:28 pm

da87 wrote:

You think its an acceptance? I'm hoping you are correct. Have most people that changed to JD evening turned out to be acceptances for the PT evening?

da87

Postby da87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:30 pm

ClemTiger wrote:
da87 wrote:

You think its an acceptance? I'm hoping you are correct. Have most people that changed to JD evening turned out to be acceptances for the PT evening?

Yes, that is why I'm assuming an acceptance. When did you go complete?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”