SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Stryka

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Stryka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:41 pm

justsmu10 wrote:I do not believe that SMU has a "true" rolling admissions policy. Instead, they use a modified version of rolling admissions that they made up on their own.
At a true rolling admissions school, when an application is received it goes into a queue to be reviewed based upon the order of receipt. After the application is reviewed, a decision is reached [admit, deny, waitlist] and then they move on to the next application. I think it's pretty obvious that SMU does not do this.

Here, in my opinion, is SMU's modified version of rolling admissions: SMU looks at an application. If the applicant's numbers are high enough to be an automatic admit [extremely high], they are admitted. If the numbers are low enough to be an automatic deny [extremely low], they are denied. Finally, if the numbers are at or near average/median [most applicants], they delay their decision as long as possible...and you end up hearing something the week of the "deadline" if you're lucky. In short, a very few people are admitted upon review, a very few are denied upon review, and the vast majority wait until SMU makes up their mind. This is not a true rolling admissions policy.

Completely agree....from my friends experiences, they make you wait as long as they can...hence, the week of the deadline...All this waiting with my numbers not being too high could leave me with false hope...Hope not

da87

Postby da87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:41 pm

justsmu10 wrote:I do not believe that SMU has a "true" rolling admissions policy. Instead, they use a modified version of rolling admissions that they made up on their own.
At a true rolling admissions school, when an application is received it goes into a queue to be reviewed based upon the order of receipt. After the application is reviewed, a decision is reached [admit, deny, waitlist] and then they move on to the next application. I think it's pretty obvious that SMU does not do this.

Here, in my opinion, is SMU's modified version of rolling admissions: SMU looks at an application. If the applicant's numbers are high enough to be an automatic admit [extremely high], they are admitted. If the numbers are low enough to be an automatic deny [extremely low], they are denied. Finally, if the numbers are at or near average/median [most applicants], they delay their decision as long as possible...and you end up hearing something the week of the "deadline" if you're lucky. In short, a very few people are admitted upon review, a very few are denied upon review, and the vast majority wait until SMU makes up their mind. This is not a true rolling admissions policy.

+1

DavidB

Postby DavidB » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:52 pm

jgrin wrote:...Have people gotten decisions that went complete after 2/16?

Yes, I applied PT only, received a decision 4/19 and was marked as complete for the first time on 3/1.

hutch0417

Postby hutch0417 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Some of you need to get out of the house, go to a bar (preferably one without WiFi) and have a beer or two. You've done all you can do at this point, and it's up to the admissions committee. That way, if you do get a phone call, then you're at the proper place to begin celebrating. If you don't, then you can drink up and contemplate moving forward.

Based upon some of the stats I've seen here, the admissions committee has a difficult job ahead of them. It's the best and brightest competing against each other, and sometimes the decisions go your way, sometimes they don't.

Either way, probably all of you will be quite successful.

I'm one of those non-traditional older law school applicants, and I am currently trying to hire one recent college graduate, and I've had several excellent candidates, so I understand a little about what the committee is going through. I love that I'm going to be able to make someone's day, and get them off and rolling in their chosen career. On the other hand, it's hard when I have to call the other candidates and tell them I've hired someone else. This puts me in the dumps for a while.

How I make my decisions is all things being equal, can I work with this person and can they benefit from working for me and for the company? If I can answer yes, then that's the direction I go. I imagine that's probably how the committee views it, too.

Remember, if you get a rejection, it's not the end of the world. Just take it, maybe ask the admissions department at a later date what they liked, didn't like about your application, and move forward.

Good luck to all.

Stryka

Postby Stryka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:58 pm

hutch0417 wrote:Some of you need to get out of the house, go to a bar (preferably one without WiFi) and have a beer or two. You've done all you can do at this point, and it's up to the admissions committee. That way, if you do get a phone call, then you're at the proper place to begin celebrating. If you don't, then you can drink up and contemplate moving forward.

Based upon some of the stats I've seen here, the admissions committee has a difficult job ahead of them. It's the best and brightest competing against each other, and sometimes the decisions go your way, sometimes they don't.

Either way, probably all of you will be quite successful.

I'm one of those non-traditional older law school applicants, and I am currently trying to hire one recent college graduate, and I've had several excellent candidates, so I understand a little about what the committee is going through. I love that I'm going to be able to make someone's day, and get them off and rolling in their chosen career. On the other hand, it's hard when I have to call the other candidates and tell them I've hired someone else. This puts me in the dumps for a while.

How I make my decisions is all things being equal, can I work with this person and can they benefit from working for me and for the company? If I can answer yes, then that's the direction I go. I imagine that's probably how the committee views it, too.

Remember, if you get a rejection, it's not the end of the world. Just take it, maybe ask the admissions department at a later date what they liked, didn't like about your application, and move forward.

Good luck to all.

Same goes with girls

helpmerhonda

Postby helpmerhonda » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:17 pm

Easier said than done...it's true we will all survive, but clearly we want to attend SMU and nothing is going to make us feel better until we know the decision. Nobody appreciates being jerked around unless they get the pot at the end of the rainbow of admission!

fixer

Postby fixer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:16 pm

DR 4/19 FT. No rejection in today's mail in Dallas.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:18 pm

What a tangled web we weave. I went from really wanting my decision to being glad that my decision hasn't come yet. Now I have no idea what to expect, nor what to pull for.

DavidB

Postby DavidB » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:02 pm

Acceptance packet received today in Dallas. :)

I don't know if this is a standard phrase inserted but my acceptance letter says "the Admissions Committee found particular interest in your work experience as" the most recent job title listed on my resume.

helpmerhonda

Postby helpmerhonda » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:07 pm

This is very exciting DavidB. Congratulations!
Can you tell us if you were FT or PT or FT/PT
And if you had DR on 4/19 please??????

And also did you receive a telephone call before you received the acceptance packet?

Many thanks!!!!

Texan09

Postby Texan09 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:33 pm

Last edited by Texan09 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladysixmonkey

Postby ladysixmonkey » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:38 pm

DavidB wrote:Acceptance packet received today in Dallas. :)

I don't know if this is a standard phrase inserted but my acceptance letter says "the Admissions Committee found particular interest in your work experience as" the most recent job title listed on my resume.

They did that with mine, actually listing my job title and employer's full name! As nice as that is though, the JD still costs a boatload of $. I'd like to pay as I go and not acquire debt, even if it means cutting down to the bone on other expenses. I guess it's the beans and rice lifestyle for a good long while! :) Good luck to all those still awaiting a decision. I'm sure we will all celebrate together at ASD soon enough.

DavidB

Postby DavidB » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:39 pm

I applied PT only, stats on profile, complete 3/1, complete 4/7, decision rendered 4/19 morning, acceptance phone call 4/19 afternoon.

fixer

Postby fixer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:48 pm

DavidB wrote:I applied PT only, stats on profile, complete 3/1, complete 4/7, decision rendered 4/19 morning, acceptance phone call 4/19 afternoon.

So, if acceptance packages were received today (theoretically mailed Monday when posted DR and phone call was made) then if rejections were made/mailed then why no rejection letters in today's mail?

It's a mystery.

jgrin

Postby jgrin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:42 pm

fixer wrote:
DavidB wrote:I applied PT only, stats on profile, complete 3/1, complete 4/7, decision rendered 4/19 morning, acceptance phone call 4/19 afternoon.

So, if acceptance packages were received today (theoretically mailed Monday when posted DR and phone call was made) then if rejections were made/mailed then why no rejection letters in today's mail?

It's a mystery.

The mystery that is law school admissions...

DavidB

Postby DavidB » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:11 am

fixer wrote:So, if acceptance packages were received today (theoretically mailed Monday when posted DR and phone call was made) then if rejections were made/mailed then why no rejection letters in today's mail?

My packet was mailed priority, maybe other mail is sent regular first-class?

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:14 am

So once again, PT only.

ladysixmonkey

Postby ladysixmonkey » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:29 am

DavidB wrote:
fixer wrote:So, if acceptance packages were received today (theoretically mailed Monday when posted DR and phone call was made) then if rejections were made/mailed then why no rejection letters in today's mail?

My packet was mailed priority, maybe other mail is sent regular first-class?

Mine was sent priority mail also.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:23 am

You can now see your scholarship under the financial aid section of access.smu.edu.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:36 am

chrisokc wrote:You can now see your scholarship under the financial aid section of access.smu.edu.

Thanks.

tarheel354

Postby tarheel354 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:51 am

4/22 DR this morning. Checked it about 9:30.

EBGB

Postby EBGB » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:00 am

tarheel354 wrote:4/22 DR this morning. Checked it about 9:30.

stats? FT/PT?

da87

Postby da87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:13 am

EBGB wrote:
tarheel354 wrote:4/22 DR this morning. Checked it about 9:30.

stats? FT/PT?

+1

texag08

Postby texag08 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:42 am

FT or PT?

and the creeping suspician returns........

da87

Postby da87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:49 am

still complete...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”