SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby jgrin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:12 pm

Still stuck at App Complete 2/16

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:15 pm

EBGB wrote:
Royal68 wrote:DR 4/21..... Waiting beside my phone


DR 4/21 as well, but since I got rejected from Baylor yesterday and UH today, I'm fairly certain this is yet another one to add to the pile. Good luck to you, though!


When did you go complete?

User avatar
EBGB
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:57 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby EBGB » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:16 pm

fixer wrote:
texag08 wrote:Why do you say that fixer?


1. They called PT applicants immediately with acceptances on Monday
2. No phone calls for any of the FT folks who went DR on Monday.
3. Statements allegedly made (and relayed here) by admissions regarding no FT acceptances

Also, it seems that most of the FT DR 4/19 had average or below average scores-mine included. I could be wrong about this but I remember most of them being "reaches".


+1

Also, no one on here who went DR today has posted about getting a phone call.

User avatar
EBGB
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:57 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby EBGB » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:16 pm

da87 wrote:
EBGB wrote:
Royal68 wrote:DR 4/21..... Waiting beside my phone


DR 4/21 as well, but since I got rejected from Baylor yesterday and UH today, I'm fairly certain this is yet another one to add to the pile. Good luck to you, though!


When did you go complete?


2/24

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:08 pm

Does anyone think that they have gone through most of the applications and decided mostly who they will admit, and are slowly weeding people out?

Stryka
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Stryka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:10 pm

da87 wrote:Does anyone think that they have gone through most of the applications and decided mostly who they will admit, and are slowly weeding people out?


How would anyone know this? Besides if you read above they said they still have over half of the class to accept if I remember right....

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:11 pm

Stryka wrote:
da87 wrote:Does anyone think that they have gone through most of the applications and decided mostly who they will admit, and are slowly weeding people out?


How would anyone know this? Besides if you read above they said they still have over half of the class to accept if I remember right....


I'm not saying anyone knows this, I was saying it is just a thought - based on the fact that some of the recent rejections are people whose complete dates are later than some of us still waiting to hear back.

Stryka
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Stryka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:14 pm

da87 wrote:
Stryka wrote:
da87 wrote:Does anyone think that they have gone through most of the applications and decided mostly who they will admit, and are slowly weeding people out?


How would anyone know this? Besides if you read above they said they still have over half of the class to accept if I remember right....


I'm not saying anyone knows this, I was saying it is just a thought - based on the fact that some of the recent rejections are people whose complete dates are later than some of us still waiting to hear back.



Well then perhaps they haven't gotten to ours yet, put ours in a pile for further review, or what to see what else they can find before making a decision on ours...I'd be happy....optimism is always better

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby jgrin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:15 pm

Stryka wrote:
da87 wrote:
Stryka wrote:
da87 wrote:Does anyone think that they have gone through most of the applications and decided mostly who they will admit, and are slowly weeding people out?


How would anyone know this? Besides if you read above they said they still have over half of the class to accept if I remember right....


I'm not saying anyone knows this, I was saying it is just a thought - based on the fact that some of the recent rejections are people whose complete dates are later than some of us still waiting to hear back.



Well then perhaps they haven't gotten to ours yet, put ours in a pile for further review, or what to see what else they can find before making a decision on ours...I'd be happy....optimism is always better


If i remember right, when they first review your application, you app complete date changes.

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:18 pm

Where did you hear that?

Stryka
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Stryka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:20 pm

How would anyone know this? Besides if you read above they said they still have over half of the class to accept if I remember right....[/quote]

I'm not saying anyone knows this, I was saying it is just a thought - based on the fact that some of the recent rejections are people whose complete dates are later than some of us still waiting to hear back.[/quote]


Well then perhaps they haven't gotten to ours yet, put ours in a pile for further review, or what to see what else they can find before making a decision on ours...I'd be happy....optimism is always better[/quote]

If i remember right, when they first review your application, you app complete date changes.[/quote]

So like mine is complete 2/11...and hasnt changed since, only that one time...meaning they havent gotten to it?

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:22 pm

Stryka wrote: So like mine is complete 2/11...and hasnt changed since, only that one time...meaning they havent gotten to it?


Yea I think that is what jgrin is saying, but for some reason I just don't think it works like that due to people with later dates having already gotten decisions.

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby jgrin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:25 pm

Someone on the board claimed it worked that way. I think they may review apps at random as I know they do at some law schools.

OR

I am completely wrong and they have seen our apps and have chosen not to auto-reject us for one reason or another. Regardless, in this scenario, there is more positive than negative.

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby CmonSD » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:25 pm

I applied 12/28, Complete 1/19.....and a whole lot of nothing.

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:26 pm

CmonSD wrote:I applied 12/28, Complete 1/19.....and a whole lot of nothing.


What are your stats?

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:27 pm

jgrin wrote:Someone on the board claimed it worked that way. I think they may review apps at random as I know they do at some law schools.

OR

I am completely wrong and they have seen our apps and have chosen not to auto-reject us for one reason or another. Regardless, in this scenario, there is more positive than negative.


If they reviewed at random then what would be the point, besides early decision applicants, of getting your apps in as early as possible?

Hopefully your second scenario is true. :)

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby CmonSD » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:32 pm

da87 wrote:
CmonSD wrote:I applied 12/28, Complete 1/19.....and a whole lot of nothing.


What are your stats?


PT - 158/3.12

It is most likely a waitlist at best, but I have pretty much lost the motivation to pick up and move, should I by chance get in.

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby jgrin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:35 pm

da87 wrote:
jgrin wrote:Someone on the board claimed it worked that way. I think they may review apps at random as I know they do at some law schools.

OR

I am completely wrong and they have seen our apps and have chosen not to auto-reject us for one reason or another. Regardless, in this scenario, there is more positive than negative.


If they reviewed at random then what would be the point, besides early decision applicants, of getting your apps in as early as possible?

Hopefully your second scenario is true. :)


+1

BUT, maybe there isn't an incentive to get your app in early, unless its for early decision.

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:45 pm

jgrin wrote:
da87 wrote:
jgrin wrote:Someone on the board claimed it worked that way. I think they may review apps at random as I know they do at some law schools.

OR

I am completely wrong and they have seen our apps and have chosen not to auto-reject us for one reason or another. Regardless, in this scenario, there is more positive than negative.


If they reviewed at random then what would be the point, besides early decision applicants, of getting your apps in as early as possible?

Hopefully your second scenario is true. :)


+1

BUT, maybe there isn't an incentive to get your app in early, unless its for early decision.

Oh, well I was under the impression that it was rolling admissions.

User avatar
Texasboundanddown
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Texasboundanddown » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:47 pm

Other than the large batch of waitlists they sent out at the very end of their cycle last year (and the two before that), there seemed to be a day between the 20th and the 1st that they used to send out acceptance to their FT program. Hope some can make it on that day! So cheer up, if you made it this far then maybe send a pre-emptive LOCI so it could kick you into the accepted group.

I just checked LSN and the old SMU threads while at work to come up with that info.

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby jgrin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:50 pm

da87 wrote:
jgrin wrote:
da87 wrote:
jgrin wrote:Someone on the board claimed it worked that way. I think they may review apps at random as I know they do at some law schools.

OR

I am completely wrong and they have seen our apps and have chosen not to auto-reject us for one reason or another. Regardless, in this scenario, there is more positive than negative.


If they reviewed at random then what would be the point, besides early decision applicants, of getting your apps in as early as possible?

Hopefully your second scenario is true. :)


+1

BUT, maybe there isn't an incentive to get your app in early, unless its for early decision.

Oh, well I was under the impression that it was rolling admissions.


Again, I am probably wrong. And if they were to utilize the rolling admissions process, then I am wrong. This bodes well for us then!

User avatar
Sangiovese
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Sangiovese » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:07 pm

SMU does rolling admissions. I am certain that I saw it somewhere on their website.

I posted the following before, but since it was 100s of posts ago, it may be worth repeating.

What happened to me, and what other people have reported as the normal sequence of events is:

1. When your file first goes complete, you get a complete date.

2. When a decision has been reached, your complete date changes and there is a message that says, You may notice that your current status date has changed. This is either because a portion of your file has been updated or the initial review of your file has been completed. Neither of these situations change your early, regular, or late decision standing. We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed.

3. Shortly after the complete date changes and the above message is displayed (it was less than 24 hours in my case) the status changes to Decision Rendered.

4. You receive either a phone call or letter with the decision.

People who were both accepted and rejected reported the same sequence. The difference was that people who got accepted received a phone call within a day or two of the change. People who were rejected received a letter.


So if you are still sitting on your initial "Complete" date, it doesn't necessarily mean that they have not looked at your file. It means that they haven't finished their review.

I am not aware of anyone who has had their complete date change and then not had their status changed to decision rendered very shortly afterward, unless they had sent in additional materials. The experiences posted so far in this thread suggest that if you have not sent anything in since you first went complete, and your complete date changes, a decision is right around the corner. However, there is nothing that indicates when they initially picked your file up and started reviewing it.

I think it is safe to say that if someone submitted their application after you did but received a decision before you, it is not because your file was skipped... it is most likely because you are on the bubble and they are trying to decide which way to go - and the person who received a faster decision was firmly in either the admit or reject stack.

Edit: Here is the rolling admissions blurb from the website: Applications are processed on a continuous basis beginning in early December. It is in your best interest to submit your application as early as possible.
http://www.law.smu.edu/Default.aspx?DN= ... 21512c22d8
Last edited by Sangiovese on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:15 pm

Sangiovese wrote:SMU does rolling admissions. I am certain that I saw it somewhere on their website.

I posted the following before, but since it was 100s of posts ago, it may be worth repeating.

What happened to me, and what other people have reported as the normal sequence of events is:

1. When your file first goes complete, you get a complete date.

2. When a decision has been reached, your complete date changes and there is a message that says, You may notice that your current status date has changed. This is either because a portion of your file has been updated or the initial review of your file has been completed. Neither of these situations change your early, regular, or late decision standing. We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed.

3. Shortly after the complete date changes and the above message is displayed (it was less than 24 hours in my case) the status changes to Decision Rendered.

4. You receive either a phone call or letter with the decision.

People who were both accepted and rejected reported the same sequence. The difference was that people who got accepted received a phone call within a day or two of the change. People who were rejected received a letter.


So if you are still sitting on your initial "Complete" date, it doesn't necessarily mean that they have not looked at your file. It means that they haven't finished their review.

I am not aware of anyone who has had their complete date change and then not had their status changed to decision rendered very shortly afterward, unless they had sent in additional materials. The experiences posted so far in this thread suggest that if you have not sent anything in since you first went complete, and your complete date changes, a decision is right around the corner. However, there is nothing that indicates when they initially picked your file up and started reviewing it.

I think it is safe to say that if someone submitted their application after you did but received a decision before you, it is not because your file was skipped... it is most likely because you are on the bubble and they are trying to decide which way to go - and the person who received a faster decision was firmly in either the admit or reject stack.

Very informative. Thanks, Sangiovese! That's what I was thinking

justsmu10
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby justsmu10 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:37 pm

I do not believe that SMU has a "true" rolling admissions policy. Instead, they use a modified version of rolling admissions that they made up on their own.
At a true rolling admissions school, when an application is received it goes into a queue to be reviewed based upon the order of receipt. After the application is reviewed, a decision is reached [admit, deny, waitlist] and then they move on to the next application. I think it's pretty obvious that SMU does not do this.

Here, in my opinion, is SMU's modified version of rolling admissions: SMU looks at an application. If the applicant's numbers are high enough to be an automatic admit [extremely high], they are admitted. If the numbers are low enough to be an automatic deny [extremely low], they are denied. Finally, if the numbers are at or near average/median [most applicants], they delay their decision as long as possible...and you end up hearing something the week of the "deadline" if you're lucky. In short, a very few people are admitted upon review, a very few are denied upon review, and the vast majority wait until SMU makes up their mind. This is not a true rolling admissions policy.

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby jgrin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:39 pm

da87 wrote:
Sangiovese wrote:SMU does rolling admissions. I am certain that I saw it somewhere on their website.

I posted the following before, but since it was 100s of posts ago, it may be worth repeating.

What happened to me, and what other people have reported as the normal sequence of events is:

1. When your file first goes complete, you get a complete date.

2. When a decision has been reached, your complete date changes and there is a message that says, You may notice that your current status date has changed. This is either because a portion of your file has been updated or the initial review of your file has been completed. Neither of these situations change your early, regular, or late decision standing. We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed.

3. Shortly after the complete date changes and the above message is displayed (it was less than 24 hours in my case) the status changes to Decision Rendered.

4. You receive either a phone call or letter with the decision.

People who were both accepted and rejected reported the same sequence. The difference was that people who got accepted received a phone call within a day or two of the change. People who were rejected received a letter.


So if you are still sitting on your initial "Complete" date, it doesn't necessarily mean that they have not looked at your file. It means that they haven't finished their review.

I am not aware of anyone who has had their complete date change and then not had their status changed to decision rendered very shortly afterward, unless they had sent in additional materials. The experiences posted so far in this thread suggest that if you have not sent anything in since you first went complete, and your complete date changes, a decision is right around the corner. However, there is nothing that indicates when they initially picked your file up and started reviewing it.

I think it is safe to say that if someone submitted their application after you did but received a decision before you, it is not because your file was skipped... it is most likely because you are on the bubble and they are trying to decide which way to go - and the person who received a faster decision was firmly in either the admit or reject stack.

Very informative. Thanks, Sangiovese! That's what I was thinking


OK, well I was wrong. Thank you for the great information.

Have people gotten decisions that went complete after 2/16?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Baby Gaga, genjustice, ginawwhan, Google Adsense [Bot], guybourdin, LAW1995, Majestic-12 [Bot], NotAGolfer, potterotter, Smc1994, spursforever, SweetTort, swoonster, TecumsehSherman and 31 guests