SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
justsmu10
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby justsmu10 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:24 pm

jgrin wrote:After a busy day yesterday, this thread has died


Indeed. It looks like it will be tomorrow or Thursday before more people start seeing "Decision Rendered." If, in fact, it happens at all this week....

User avatar
fixer
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:20 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby fixer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:33 pm

So none of the FT that went DR yesterday received phone calls today? Is this a good sign or a bad sign? I am thinking it is bad.

I hate this. Especially since it is such a long shot.

User avatar
ChonWayne
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:15 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby ChonWayne » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:49 pm

fixer wrote:So none of the FT that went DR yesterday received phone calls today? Is this a good sign or a bad sign? I am thinking it is bad.

I hate this. Especially since it is such a long shot.


Not sure what to make of it.

Here is my story, take it as you will, I hope you get the call though:

4/12: status checker displayed DR with timestamp as 4/13. I was excited.
4/13-4/14: no rejection email as I was under the impression rejections came via email immediately. Excitement/hope continued.
4/15: no phone call. I was confused since other admitted students received the call 1-2 days after DR.
4/17: I was kicked in the groin as I found a tiny envelope in the mail.

I posted my stats in previous post. I didn't mention that I received both my BS and MS degrees from SMU. Pretty sure this hindered me but I may never know the exact reason. It makes my decision to go to Houston a lot easier though and I think the change in universities will be good for me. I'm done on this thread. Good luck future ponies - enjoy the winning football team since they were pretty awful when I attended haha.

User avatar
Sangiovese
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Sangiovese » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:54 pm

ChonWayne wrote:
fixer wrote:So none of the FT that went DR yesterday received phone calls today? Is this a good sign or a bad sign? I am thinking it is bad.

I hate this. Especially since it is such a long shot.


Not sure what to make of it.

Here is my story, take it as you will, I hope you get the call though:

4/12: status checker displayed DR with timestamp as 4/13. I was excited.
4/13-4/14: no rejection email as I was under the impression rejections came via email immediately. Excitement/hope continued.
4/15: no phone call. I was confused since other admitted students received the call 1-2 days after DR.
4/17: I was kicked in the groin as I found a tiny envelope in the mail.

I posted my stats in previous post. I didn't mention that I received both my BS and MS degrees from SMU. Pretty sure this hindered me but I may never know the exact reason. It makes my decision to go to Houston a lot easier though and I think the change in universities will be good for me. I'm done on this thread. Good luck future ponies - enjoy the winning football team since they were pretty awful when I attended haha.


Sorry to hear about the ding :( Good luck at Houston!

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby jgrin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:59 pm

My app hasn't been touched since it went complete on 2/16. I am not sure what to make of this. Anybody have any insights?

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:26 pm

jgrin wrote:My app hasn't been touched since it went complete on 2/16. I am not sure what to make of this. Anybody have any insights?


They haven't made decisions on FT yet- they are in the process of doing so. I'm still stuck at complete on 2/3, and I know others are still stuck at "held for further review" from early decision applicants.

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby jgrin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:15 pm

da87 wrote:
jgrin wrote:My app hasn't been touched since it went complete on 2/16. I am not sure what to make of this. Anybody have any insights?


They haven't made decisions on FT yet- they are in the process of doing so. I'm still stuck at complete on 2/3, and I know others are still stuck at "held for further review" from early decision applicants.


Only problem is that I am FT/PT.

helpmerhonda
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby helpmerhonda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:27 pm

OK, so I just spoke to a girl in the admissions office and she told me that yesterday they admitted some PT but only sent out FT denials. That leaves me believing that since I am FT and got the DR on 4/19 that I am going to get a denial. She said that no wait lists were sent yesterday. Don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I am freaking out about this news and wanted to share it, albeit bad news. Sorry for everyone else in my shoes. I am still praying that she was confused about it. But I had asked if everyone was getting calls who were admitted FT and she said nobody was admitted FT yesterday, only PT, and some people got calls, and others should be expecting denials.
-signing off and jumping off a bridge-

helpmerhonda
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby helpmerhonda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Also, I know you are going to ask my stats, so they are:

LSAT 158
GPA 3.2

I probably shouldn't even have applied, but my whole life I wanted to attend SMU Dedman Law as I love the campus and Dallas, now I have to go to Kansas, sh-t!

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby jgrin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:43 pm

helpmerhonda wrote:OK, so I just spoke to a girl in the admissions office and she told me that yesterday they admitted some PT but only sent out FT denials. That leaves me believing that since I am FT and got the DR on 4/19 that I am going to get a denial. She said that no wait lists were sent yesterday. Don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I am freaking out about this news and wanted to share it, albeit bad news. Sorry for everyone else in my shoes. I am still praying that she was confused about it. But I had asked if everyone was getting calls who were admitted FT and she said nobody was admitted FT yesterday, only PT, and some people got calls, and others should be expecting denials.
-signing off and jumping off a bridge-


Wonder how many more people they are going to let in?

I would say that our prospect don't look pretty...

PTer

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:44 pm

helpmerhonda wrote:Also, I know you are going to ask my stats, so they are:

LSAT 158
GPA 3.2

I probably shouldn't even have applied, but my whole life I wanted to attend SMU Dedman Law as I love the campus and Dallas, now I have to go to Kansas, sh-t!


Sorry to hear that. :( Do you mind sharing when you went complete?

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:49 pm

jgrin wrote:
da87 wrote:
jgrin wrote:My app hasn't been touched since it went complete on 2/16. I am not sure what to make of this. Anybody have any insights?


They haven't made decisions on FT yet- they are in the process of doing so. I'm still stuck at complete on 2/3, and I know others are still stuck at "held for further review" from early decision applicants.


Only problem is that I am FT/PT.


same here

User avatar
fixer
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:20 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby fixer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:50 pm

helpmerhonda wrote:OK, so I just spoke to a girl in the admissions office and she told me that yesterday they admitted some PT but only sent out FT denials. That leaves me believing that since I am FT and got the DR on 4/19 that I am going to get a denial. She said that no wait lists were sent yesterday. Don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I am freaking out about this news and wanted to share it, albeit bad news. Sorry for everyone else in my shoes. I am still praying that she was confused about it. But I had asked if everyone was getting calls who were admitted FT and she said nobody was admitted FT yesterday, only PT, and some people got calls, and others should be expecting denials.
-signing off and jumping off a bridge-


Well, that blows. Oh well, TTTT here I come. Have fun Mustangs. Perhaps I'll meet some of you as a transfer.

helpmerhonda
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby helpmerhonda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:04 pm

I went complete 1/22, so it was nearly 3 months I was waiting.

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:28 pm

How many people do ya'll think have sent in seat deposits?

helpmerhonda
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby helpmerhonda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:37 pm

did you go DR yet?

da87
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby da87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:48 pm

helpmerhonda wrote:did you go DR yet?


Nope

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby jgrin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:51 pm

Wonder what is going to happen tomorrow...

helpmerhonda
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby helpmerhonda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:01 pm

they shouldn't be allowed to give out that kind of details over the phone, so maybe its not true

User avatar
fixer
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:20 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby fixer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:36 pm

helpmerhonda wrote:they shouldn't be allowed to give out that kind of details over the phone, so maybe its not true


I wondered the same but it seems like I remember posts from last years cycle mentioning the release of similar information over the phone.

helpmerhonda
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby helpmerhonda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:38 pm

well I hope its not true because I really want to go to SMU and maybe the girl didnt explain it correctly but I know what I heard, and it was distressing to hear that only PT people got admitted while FT got denied and no WL from that day's DR, so we'll have to see if she was telling it like it is, or hopefully not!

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23948
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Thirteen » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:39 pm

helpmerhonda wrote:Also, I know you are going to ask my stats, so they are:

LSAT 158
GPA 3.2

I probably shouldn't even have applied, but my whole life I wanted to attend SMU Dedman Law as I love the campus and Dallas, now I have to go to Kansas, sh-t!


Do you have to start in the fall, or could you possibly work for a year and apply next cycle? If you don't really want to go to Kansas, retaking the LSAT and reapplying might be a good idea. Sorry to hear about the possible rejection.

helpmerhonda
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby helpmerhonda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:02 pm

I could never take the LSAT again, I will go to Kansas if the SMU news is bad, but thanks for the sympathy and advice. I'm just going to plow through this next 3 years and hopefully I'll get into where I'm going and make the best of it, I have to. I'll see what comes in the mail, and go from there!

jgrin
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby jgrin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:12 pm

If SMU dings me they will be missing out.

User avatar
ec2xs
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:05 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby ec2xs » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:16 pm

jgrin wrote:If SMU dings me they will be missing out.

Not on humility.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: applicationquestions, curry4bfast, Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], hellohalo and 4 guests