SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalvano

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:32 pm

chrisokc wrote:Here's one for you Dallas residents: which electric company is the best (least expensive) option?

Compare for yourself.

--LinkRemoved--

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:15 am

kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:Here's one for you Dallas residents: which electric company is the best (least expensive) option?

Compare for yourself.

--LinkRemoved--

Nice - thanks.

tinyone

Postby tinyone » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:40 am

Can anyone who lives in Dallas now give me a rough estimate on the total cost of bills per month for a 1 bed/bath? Electric, gas, TV/phone...the whole package? I'm just trying to figure out my max. rent.

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:10 am

tinyone wrote:Can anyone who lives in Dallas now give me a rough estimate on the total cost of bills per month for a 1 bed/bath? Electric, gas, TV/phone...the whole package? I'm just trying to figure out my max. rent.

on my phone... Dallas is mainly a commuter city. If you want more for your money but not nec. cheaper look for housing along the north tx tollway corridor. If you want more and cheaper look towards I75 but be warned about traffic. Undergrad housing would put you at $1000 or less per month (includes groceries, bills, etc) but it will be more noisy, busy etc. For a nice 1 br apt close to campus you're looking at $1000 easily. A bit of a commute and the price drops. I would also look into some home rentals in highland park with a realtor. Sorry, but Dallas isn't hurting much in terms of housing and the economy. I'll fix typos later on real comp.

tinyone

Postby tinyone » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:45 am

leraa6587 wrote:
tinyone wrote:Can anyone who lives in Dallas now give me a rough estimate on the total cost of bills per month for a 1 bed/bath? Electric, gas, TV/phone...the whole package? I'm just trying to figure out my max. rent.

on my phone... Dallas is mainly a commuter city. If you want more for your money but not nec. cheaper look for housing along the north tx tollway corridor. If you want more and cheaper look towards I75 but be warned about traffic. Undergrad housing would put you at $1000 or less per month (includes groceries, bills, etc) but it will be more noisy, busy etc. For a nice 1 br apt close to campus you're looking at $1000 easily. A bit of a commute and the price drops. I would also look into some home rentals in highland park with a realtor. Sorry, but Dallas isn't hurting much in terms of housing and the economy. I'll fix typos later on real comp.

Sorry I need to clarify. I am looking at 1 bed/bath in Uptown. I already have several properties that I am considering and just need to know how much I should budget for gas, water, electric and TV/internet. So I am looking for feedback on the cost of bills only. I am guessing $250, but was hoping to get some feedback.

bonnieblue

Postby bonnieblue » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:37 am

tinyone wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:

Sorry I need to clarify. I am looking at 1 bed/bath in Uptown. I already have several properties that I am considering and just need to know how much I should budget for gas, water, electric and TV/internet. So I am looking for feedback on the cost of bills only. I am guessing $250, but was hoping to get some feedback.

I'm not sure how it would work in Dallas, but I know many of the nicer complexes down here in Austin often will include cable and internet. I know all the Jefferson (JPI) properties down here do and I know they have plenty of complexes in Dallas

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:39 am

tinyone wrote:Sorry I need to clarify. I am looking at 1 bed/bath in Uptown. I already have several properties that I am considering and just need to know how much I should budget for gas, water, electric and TV/internet. So I am looking for feedback on the cost of bills only. I am guessing $250, but was hoping to get some feedback.

It almost certainly won't be gas, just electric. Your electric bills will spike. $90 or so in the winter, but it could easily be $200 in the summer when it's been over 100 degree for the 18th straight day. Most electric companies here offer an "average billing" option, which is cool because you overpay in the winter, but it evens out in the summer. It's nice having the same amount billed each month. Anyway, I would figure $150 just to be safe.

Water, probably $40 or so.

TV / Internet is up to you. If Verizon FiOS or AT&T U-Verse service the area, which I bet one does, you can usually get a package deal of fiber-optic internet and TV for around $100 a month. It's pretty good.

So there you go. I would figure on $300 to be safe, but of course, you can cut back on TV or something. Though it'd be worth $50 to me.

wellington

Postby wellington » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:28 am

Depending on where you are, I know people who just have internet (the best choice, IMO, with streaming sites/netflix) for around 35 bucks a month. And a lot of the apartment complexes have antennas on the buildings that pick up 20+ OTA stations. I'm planning on doing just that, unless I can find a house to rent for cheap.

justsmu10

Postby justsmu10 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:20 pm

So, another week comes and goes without a status change. On a positive note, we should all know something within the next 4 weeks...unless SMU chooses to extend their "by the end of April" deadline.

JMBrown32

Postby JMBrown32 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:57 pm

Toured SMU yesterday and was really impressed with their campus and the area in which the school's located. I'm fairly certain that's where I'll be this fall.

CV108

Postby CV108 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:49 pm

justsmu10 wrote:So, another week comes and goes without a status change. On a positive note, we should all know something within the next 4 weeks...unless SMU chooses to extend their "by the end of April" deadline.

ughh i really hope they don't extend it.. I just want to know! Waiting is no fun..neither is forfeiting seat deposit money for lesser schools
Common smu!

wellington

Postby wellington » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:37 am

CV108 wrote:ughh i really hope they don't extend it.. I just want to know! Waiting is no fun..neither is forfeiting seat deposit money for lesser schools
Common smu!

They did it last year ... wasn't fun to deal with

rtx10

Postby rtx10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:24 am

It seems from the SMU website that a Mac isn't their recommendation. Is it okay to use one or is a PC laptop the better choice? Just wondering what yall thought.

tinyone

Postby tinyone » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:44 am

When I sat in on a class there were a lot of kids w/ Macs

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:51 am

rtx10 wrote:It seems from the SMU website that a Mac isn't their recommendation. Is it okay to use one or is a PC laptop the better choice? Just wondering what yall thought.

Hey can you link this info? Thanks.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:55 am

I asked a person from the admissions office the same thing and she told me that their exam taking software currently does not support mac but that it might/will very soon. Otherwise I gathered that it didn't matter what you picked.

rtx10

Postby rtx10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:54 am

Yes, here's the link: http://www.law.smu.edu/Default.aspx?DN= ... b505b1be68

And I agree, from the tour, I saw Macs being used but I wondered if it was mainly their personal laptops and if they were using a PC for the actual exam. Hmm. Thanks guys!

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:20 am

Thanks. I'm still using my college laptop I received in 2006 (T60 Thinkpad), and it's about time to move on. People were telling me I need to switch to Mac, but this would obviously change things. It does sound like they're trying/will to try to integrate Mac software into their IT department to handle Apple users.

nontradintexas

Postby nontradintexas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:38 am

Lots of Mac users here. In my class, probably close to 50%.

It's not an issue of SMU IT not working with Macs, it's that the exam software SMU uses does not support Mac yet. The exam software is from a third party vendor and you buy an annual license to download and use it. I can't remember exactly, but we received an email that they expect it to be Mac-friendly either fall 2010 or 2011.

Almost every Mac user I know just partitions part of their hard drive and uses Boot Camp to run Windows. From what I understand that works fairly well.

rtx10

Postby rtx10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:36 pm

nontradintexas wrote:Lots of Mac users here. In my class, probably close to 50%.

It's not an issue of SMU IT not working with Macs, it's that the exam software SMU uses does not support Mac yet. The exam software is from a third party vendor and you buy an annual license to download and use it. I can't remember exactly, but we received an email that they expect it to be Mac-friendly either fall 2010 or 2011.

Almost every Mac user I know just partitions part of their hard drive and uses Boot Camp to run Windows. From what I understand that works fairly well.

Oh that's great news! Thank you!

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:18 pm

tinyone wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:

Sorry, that was a little confusing I guess. In my experience, $250 is reasonable, but I have had electric bills in the summer that are $250 without other bills factored in. I think satellite is around $100 if not more. Water is cheap, gas is cheap (since you rarely use it). It depends how tolerant you are of heat though, I prefer it freezing all day everyday. Groceries are reasonable, we have high end options with prepared foods for reasonable costs (Marketstreet), and the world killer Walmart is also prevalent for cheap groceries. Tom Thumb, Target and Kroger provide a median between the high and low ends. I travel a lot and IMO food is cheapest in TX because we have so much land and a great import/export center in Houston.

edit: i'm sure you can find cheap cable/ internet

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:05 pm

Officially decided on SMU (well, now I'm rocking the "A" on LSN haha) regardless of what SCU and USD say. See y'all in the fall.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:13 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:Officially decided on SMU (well, now I'm rocking the "A" on LSN haha) regardless of what SCU and USD say. See y'all in the fall.

We've got eight As on LSN.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:16 pm

:(

I'm wondering if they're even going to accept anyone else at this point.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Being one of the eight on LSN, I hope to have more company in the near future. Good luck to you guys and gals.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”