SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
bonnieblue
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:56 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby bonnieblue » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:06 pm

i've always loved the campus and the law school, but am a more of a fan of older, more classic style buildings, than new state of the art

but i did go to UT where most of the buildings are hideous, so i might have been easier to impress

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:07 pm

SportsFanatic wrote:End of April!?!?! Are you kidding me?


I don't mind waiting :).

HBK
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby HBK » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:11 pm

leraa6587 wrote:Hey guys,
Maybe this is old news but I just toured today and they said they weren't sending out any regular decisions until at least the end of April. Very disheartening, I have been less than impressed with admissions at SMU so far which is a shame because I really like the actual law school. I plan on depositing elsewhere, because deposit deadlines are WAY before then. Good luck to everyone!!

I haven't read the thread so if I am repeating anything, I apologize.

utcris410 wrote:At ASD they did say they've admitted about 10% of applicants. They will probably admit a total of 20-25%, I believe is what they said. Correct me if I misquoted them.


So did Leraa misunderstand or did they straight up lie to her? This isn't the first time someone ITT said that they haven't admitted any RD students, which we all know is false. Maybe they aren't sending out any more decisions until after deposit deadline?

User avatar
Sangiovese
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Sangiovese » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:17 pm

SportsFanatic wrote:End of April!?!?! Are you kidding me?


Not sure why that comes as a surprise... it is the date that they advertised from the beginning for regular decision applicants.

It wouldn't surprise me if people get offers before then... but the standard reply to inquiries will very likely be "by the end of April" no matter how likely it is for decisions to be reached in some cases prior to that.

Waiting stinks... but it's silly to get upset at an organization when they are meeting the standard that they promised.

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby utcris410 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:24 pm

That's probably why they offer non-binding Early Decision.

User avatar
Sangiovese
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Sangiovese » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:25 pm

HBK wrote:So did Leraa misunderstand or did they straight up lie to her? This isn't the first time someone ITT said that they haven't admitted any RD students, which we all know is false. Maybe they aren't sending out any more decisions until after deposit deadline?


I think it's a misunderstanding.

SMU's published "deadline" for making decisions on regular decision applicants is the end of April. Since that is their official deadline, it makes sense that when they respond to inquiries they simply state that decisions will be made by the end of April.

SMU also states that they have a rolling admissions process... so it makes sense that some decisions will be made prior to the deadline.

And reports that they say they have or have not "admitted any RD applicants" can mean different things depending on who you're talking to. Does "admitted" mean they extended an offer to an applicant, that an applicant has sent in the first seat deposit, the entire seat deposit... all requirements (health forms, transcript, etc...)???

It just seems like people are very quick to say "so and so outright lied to me" when it is extremely unlikely that is what happened.

Yellowcard
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Yellowcard » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:26 pm

I was moved from EA to RD on 1/24. I have since heard nothing from SMU. Has anyone experienced any kind of movement? Admit, Reject, WL? I'm just looking for some sliver of hope that they are going to give me an answer sometime soon.

User avatar
SportsFanatic
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby SportsFanatic » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:33 pm

Sangiovese wrote:
SportsFanatic wrote:End of April!?!?! Are you kidding me?


Not sure why that comes as a surprise... it is the date that they advertised from the beginning for regular decision applicants.

It wouldn't surprise me if people get offers before then... but the standard reply to inquiries will very likely be "by the end of April" no matter how likely it is for decisions to be reached in some cases prior to that.

Waiting stinks... but it's silly to get upset at an organization when they are meeting the standard that they promised.


Agreed. My comments were more of "crap, I didn't realize that". No issue with SMU or their communicated dates. Just makes me have to rethink my decisions.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:51 pm

Sangiovese wrote:
HBK wrote:So did Leraa misunderstand or did they straight up lie to her? This isn't the first time someone ITT said that they haven't admitted any RD students, which we all know is false. Maybe they aren't sending out any more decisions until after deposit deadline?


I think it's a misunderstanding.

SMU's published "deadline" for making decisions on regular decision applicants is the end of April. Since that is their official deadline, it makes sense that when they respond to inquiries they simply state that decisions will be made by the end of April.

SMU also states that they have a rolling admissions process... so it makes sense that some decisions will be made prior to the deadline.

And reports that they say they have or have not "admitted any RD applicants" can mean different things depending on who you're talking to. Does "admitted" mean they extended an offer to an applicant, that an applicant has sent in the first seat deposit, the entire seat deposit... all requirements (health forms, transcript, etc...)???

It just seems like people are very quick to say "so and so outright lied to me" when it is extremely unlikely that is what happened.

To be fair, though ... when someone says "we haven't admitted someone yet" ... most people would interpret that as "not having extended offers of admission," and surely admissions staff would know that. At what school does "being admitted" really mean sending in a seat deposit, as opposed to being extending an offer of admission?

Understand that the published deadline may be end of April, but for me, that's much less of an issue than saying we've not admitted any RDs if they have. Now, do they consider EAs that were deferred to RD consideration and then admitted as EAs?? I don't know ... I'm not calling the admissions office liars, but I'm confused as to what's going on.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:56 pm

SportsFanatic wrote:End of April!?!?! Are you kidding me?



They had a non-binding early decision deadline of December 15th, which means a decision would have been in hand already.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

User avatar
SpencerPratt
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby SpencerPratt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:06 pm

So I've all but decided on looking for two (male) law school roommates for a 3BR place in the Village. Good idea in terms of saving money, yet living somewhere nice-ish? Any recommendations for which buildings to look at? The Dakota looks money, but it's also more expensive. The Gate has 1350sq ft rooms available for around $1000? That must be too good to be true, right? PM me if you're also looking for something like this.

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:10 pm

kalvano wrote:
SportsFanatic wrote:End of April!?!?! Are you kidding me?



They had a non-binding early decision deadline of December 15th, which means a decision would have been in hand already.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

I like this philosophy.

User avatar
SportsFanatic
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby SportsFanatic » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:11 pm

kalvano wrote:
SportsFanatic wrote:End of April!?!?! Are you kidding me?



They had a non-binding early decision deadline of December 15th, which means a decision would have been in hand already.

Chance favors the prepared mind.


Ok.

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby utcris410 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:11 pm

It's hard to say though...not everyone listens well or words their postings well. Your best bet is to call admissions yourself.

I'm not suggesting anyone is purposely lying, but things can be misinterpreted. If you've applied and want more info, call the school up. Their admissions has been very helpful thusfar.

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby utcris410 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:12 pm

chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:
SportsFanatic wrote:End of April!?!?! Are you kidding me?



They had a non-binding early decision deadline of December 15th, which means a decision would have been in hand already.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

I like this philosophy.

Yep me too. :)

chrisokc
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby chrisokc » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:20 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:So I've all but decided on looking for two (male) law school roommates for a 3BR place in the Village. Good idea in terms of saving money, yet living somewhere nice-ish? Any recommendations for which buildings to look at? The Dakota looks money, but it's also more expensive. The Gate has 1350sq ft rooms available for around $1000? That must be too good to be true, right? PM me if you're also looking for something like this.

The one I looked at was the Gate. It's made up of older buildings, which usually means thicker walls. The buildings were all recently remodeled. It seemed pretty nice. You might also check an apartment complex called Windsor Place. It's over in the same general area, and those are all bills paid.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby kalvano » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:24 pm

HBK wrote:I couldn't make it to the ASD, but visited the campus a while ago- and wasn't all that impressed overall. It sounds like the people who went to the ASD really liked it. To the people who attended the ASD- what did you like? What didn't you like? Did they provide a really compelling pitch? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently debating between $$ SMU and $ WUSTL.



What I liked -

1) It's an excellent school with a very good reputation, especially within the D/FW area. It's hard for out-of-state people to grasp just how big a stranglehold SMU has on the Dallas area, because everyone sees UT and thinks it must be the best school in Texas. Rankings-wise and portability-wise, it is. But SMU completely dominates the Dallas market. SMU places well outside their USNWR ranking, with an excellent average starting salary in an area with a cheap cost-of-living. Dallas is a huge city with an enormous legal and business market, so having an SMU law degree here really opens a ton of doors, much more than you would think a mid-40's ranked school does. But there is very little competition in the area, unlike the Chicago / Midwest area that WUSTL serves.

If you want Biglaw, there are several national and multi-national firms that have offices in Dallas, and they are staffed by Dallas lawyers, so doing well at SMU gives you a much better than even shot at employment there, which can then be turned into a job in another office if you like.

SMU also has the in with the Dallas, Denton, and Collin (the three biggest around) county DA's and PD's offices, so internships are there. It was also mentioned that internships with AT&T in-house counsel is a possibility, as they work with the Small Business Clinic SMU offers.

The job opportunities are there, much more so in the Dallas area than from some other, higher-ranked, schools just because of the lack of competition. Imagine if Duke were the only law school in the entire North / South Carolina / Virginia area. It's probably somewhat akin to that.

And starting salaries are very good. $80K-$100K doesn't sound like a lot to people looking in the NYC / Boston / Chicago area, but (especially compared to NYC), your money goes a ton farther. $100K in Dallas is probably equal to $200K-$210K in NYC.

2) Dallas is a pretty neat city for most people, and SMU is in one of the best parts. There are bars and clubs and shopping and all kinds of activities to do. Part of living in the 6th-largest metro area in the USA is a lot of choices. There are concerts, museums, bike trails, parks, lakes...pretty much whatever you want. If you're a shopper, cancel your credit cards because Dallas ranks up there with NYC and L.A. for shopping.

Dallas has better dining options than pretty much anywhere. No matter what you want, you can find it.

3) The school made a point about, and takes pride in, their atmosphere. While it will be competitive, they took great pains to point out that they strive for an atmosphere that is not cutthroat or backstabbing. The dean specifically said if you want a cutthroat atmosphere, go somewhere else.

The school is very genteel Southern, which means it's not a bad place to spend 3 years.

4) The school is very pretty. It looks like a law school should, in my mind. The seats are comfortable, it's technologically equipped, but it has a nice, stately appearance.

5) Women at SMU tend to be extremely attractive. If you are a female, I would imagine the same would be true to you about guys there.



What I didn't like about SMU -


1) It's in Dallas. Dallas is a great city for most people, but I don't like it. I can't wait to get out, so that's a big negative for me. It's entirely subjective, though.

2) It's expensive. Even the dean acknowledged that they are more expensive than other comparably-ranked schools. They are generous with scholarships though, which helps. And I would say SMU is a better investment than other comparably-ranked schools.


3) The real strengths of the school are for the Dallas area, so if you aren't sure about staying there, you lose a little bit of what makes SMU such a good school. It's not going to be as mobile as UT is, or a school like that.

But, on that note, I don't get the sense that WUSTL is a terribly mobile degree, either, even though it's T20. I could be wrong.

4) You have to have a car in Dallas. Not sure where you are coming from, but that's a switch for some people. I don't care what some people say, Dallas is a car city. So plan for that extra expense.





That's really about it. SMU is really a great school, especially for the area. Honestly, even as much as I want out of Dallas, I'm not sure that WUSTL is a better choice, given it's proximity to other powerhouse schools. Dallas is really an insular market, and SMU is like a pretty golden key to the door of that market.

If you have more questions, let me know. I'm pretty familiar with the school and the area.

User avatar
mcflooter06
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby mcflooter06 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:32 pm

I definitely agree witheverything Kalvano said (though I absolutely love Dallas). I am very familiar with the school, as well, and I can tell you that the faculty is perhaps the most wonderful bunh of people I have encountered. I am currently working with a career counselor at SMU about where I should go to law school, even though I'm probably not going there. They're just wonderful people, and I really love the student population, too, they're just all so... NICE. The facilities are also beautiful, but that could very well be because I'm severely biased. ;)

Another thing I like is the immense deal SMU makes out of tailgating/football. Every football game, the law school has a tent with free food and alcohol, open to all SMU Law students, alums, and guests. The football is kind of poor, but hey, its fun.

User avatar
SpencerPratt
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby SpencerPratt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks for the summary. I couldn't be happier with my choice!

User avatar
SpencerPratt
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby SpencerPratt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:37 pm

chrisokc wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:So I've all but decided on looking for two (male) law school roommates for a 3BR place in the Village. Good idea in terms of saving money, yet living somewhere nice-ish? Any recommendations for which buildings to look at? The Dakota looks money, but it's also more expensive. The Gate has 1350sq ft rooms available for around $1000? That must be too good to be true, right? PM me if you're also looking for something like this.

The one I looked at was the Gate. It's made up of older buildings, which usually means thicker walls. The buildings were all recently remodeled. It seemed pretty nice. You might also check an apartment complex called Windsor Place. It's over in the same general area, and those are all bills paid.


Their website shows a 1350 sq ft 3BR apt for $1000. Paying less than $400 a month before utilities sounds ridiculous for a place 10 minutes from campus. Is the crime rate high here? Why is it so cheap?

clairecate
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby clairecate » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:39 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:I definitely agree witheverything Kalvano said (though I absolutely love Dallas). I am very familiar with the school, as well, and I can tell you that the faculty is perhaps the most wonderful bunh of people I have encountered. I am currently working with a career counselor at SMU about where I should go to law school, even though I'm probably not going there. They're just wonderful people, and I really love the student population, too, they're just all so... NICE. The facilities are also beautiful, but that could very well be because I'm severely biased. ;)

Another thing I like is the immense deal SMU makes out of tailgating/football. Every football game, the law school has a tent with free food and alcohol, open to all SMU Law students, alums, and guests. The football is kind of poor, but hey, its fun.


hey now...we won a bowl game this year. improvement is in the air.

i never thought as an extremely reluctant smu undergrad that i would be down on my knees praying to get into smu law. alas, the irony is not lost on me.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:41 pm

kalvano, the way you describe it, SMU really sounds perfect for me (I'm one of the weird ones that loves driving cities). I can wait until the end of April... it's just difficult :lol:.

User avatar
Sangiovese
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby Sangiovese » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:41 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:Another thing I like is the immense deal SMU makes out of tailgating/football. Every football game, the law school has a tent with free food and alcohol, open to all SMU Law students, alums, and guests. The football is kind of poor, but hey, its fun.


But trying to park anywhere near Ford Stadium is impossible!

User avatar
mcflooter06
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby mcflooter06 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:42 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:So I've all but decided on looking for two (male) law school roommates for a 3BR place in the Village. Good idea in terms of saving money, yet living somewhere nice-ish? Any recommendations for which buildings to look at? The Dakota looks money, but it's also more expensive. The Gate has 1350sq ft rooms available for around $1000? That must be too good to be true, right? PM me if you're also looking for something like this.

The one I looked at was the Gate. It's made up of older buildings, which usually means thicker walls. The buildings were all recently remodeled. It seemed pretty nice. You might also check an apartment complex called Windsor Place. It's over in the same general area, and those are all bills paid.


Their website shows a 1350 sq ft 3BR apt for $1000. Paying less than $400 a month before utilities sounds ridiculous for a place 10 minutes from campus. Is the crime rate high here? Why is it so cheap?



Some areas of the Village have more crime than others, but its generally theft. You can pull up the crime statistics to give you a better idea (forgive me, I've totally lost the link to a site). COL here is dirt cheap if you do it right, and you can find a good deal in that part of town. My uncle is a police officer for the DPD and in all of the places in Dallas, he told me to live at the Village, so take that for what its worth.

User avatar
mcflooter06
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby mcflooter06 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:44 pm

hey now...we won a bowl game this year. improvement is in the air.

i never thought as an extremely reluctant smu undergrad that i would be down on my knees praying to get into smu law. alas, the irony is not lost on me.


Haha, don't remind me, I went to another almost equally-sucky area school *coughUNTcough* and I had a bet with my boyfriend about who would havea better season (hes an SMU Law alum). Alas, those darn Ponies won a flippin' bowl game and UNT won TWO GAMES (if that). Still mad.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”