SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fixer

New

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by fixer » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:52 am

UTL_plz wrote:Sounds like we already have our first law-related hypothetical. :lol:

Is just a single roomate enough to violate the city's ordinance?
I think one roommate is fine. That doesn't seem to be an issue. But, on the topic of hypothetical... what if the third unrelated inhabitant is a minor child living in the home in order to attend the local public school which is highly regarded?

That being said, I am finished discussing this issue. I was just trying to give some information to potential new residents.

Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted!

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:59 am

fixer wrote:
UTL_plz wrote:Sounds like we already have our first law-related hypothetical. :lol:

Is just a single roomate enough to violate the city's ordinance?
I think one roommate is fine. That doesn't seem to be an issue. But, on the topic of hypothetical... what if the third unrelated inhabitant is a minor child living in the home in order to attend the local public school which is highly regarded?

That being said, I am finished discussing this issue. I was just trying to give some information to potential new residents.

Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted!
Yeah, I see what you are saying with the public school scenario.

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:09 am

Over the past two day when I have attempted to use the status checker link off of law.smu.edu, it has prompted me with a message of a navigation error. Has anyone else been encountering this?

wellington

Bronze

Post by wellington » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:37 pm

jgrin wrote:Over the past two day when I have attempted to use the status checker link off of law.smu.edu, it has prompted me with a message of a navigation error. Has anyone else been encountering this?
I checked about an hour ago and got the same message. This happened last year a couple of times--it should be back up before long.

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:34 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that I received a Sumner's invite to interview in the mail today. Interviews are being done March 25 and 26, with some mandatory events, I believe. I'm not home, so I haven't read it myself, but I can provide more accurate details later. :)

edit: 171/3.5, for those who are curious.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fallguy

New

Post by fallguy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:46 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know that I received a Sumner's invite to interview in the mail today. Interviews are being done March 25 and 26, with some mandatory events, I believe. I'm not home, so I haven't read it myself, but I can provide more accurate details later. :)

Congrats and good luck!

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:36 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know that I received a Sumner's invite to interview in the mail today. Interviews are being done March 25 and 26, with some mandatory events, I believe. I'm not home, so I haven't read it myself, but I can provide more accurate details later. :)

Ready to provide the details??

utcris410

Bronze

Post by utcris410 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:04 am

Congrats!! With this scholly, where would SMU fall on your list?

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:06 am

Well, the letter just said that interviews will be held March 25 and 26, and both days have mandatory events for finalists. Current scholars are supposed to be calling this week to provide more info.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:08 am

utcris410 wrote:

Well, I was pretty much set on Virginia but now I'm so conflicted, haha. Until I took the LSAT and scored a lot higher than I expected, SMU was my top choice. I'm from Dallas and want to work in Dallas, hopefully biglaw. I think I'm just gonna interview, see what happens, and pray a lot. Haha.

utcris410

Bronze

Post by utcris410 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:09 am

mcflooter06 wrote:
utcris410 wrote:

Well, I was pretty much set on Virginia but now I'm so conflicted, haha. Until I took the LSAT and scored a lot higher than I expected, SMU was my top choice. I'm from Dallas and want to work in Dallas, hopefully biglaw. I think I'm just gonna interview, see what happens, and pray a lot. Haha.
Good idea! :) I'm in a "similar" boat...minus the Sumners invite. GL!

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:58 pm

No HS invite in the mail today. Bummer. Anybody get one today?

ChonWayne

New

Post by ChonWayne » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:03 pm

wellington wrote:
jgrin wrote:Over the past two day when I have attempted to use the status checker link off of law.smu.edu, it has prompted me with a message of a navigation error. Has anyone else been encountering this?
I checked about an hour ago and got the same message. This happened last year a couple of times--it should be back up before long.
I'm still receiving this error when trying to view the status checker, are y'all?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

utcris410

Bronze

Post by utcris410 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:09 pm

ChonWayne wrote:
wellington wrote:
I'm still receiving this error when trying to view the status checker, are y'all?
Nope. It's working for me.

utcris410

Bronze

Post by utcris410 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Was this reflected in the "Mailings" section of your Status Checker? That might help others hoping to receive the letter? I had a mailings update when I received my scholarship letter in Feb.

k10370

New

Post by k10370 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:14 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
utcris410 wrote:

Why is Texas not a top choice if you want to work in Dallas?

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:20 pm

k10370 wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:
utcris410 wrote:

Why is Texas not a top choice if you want to work in Dallas?
It is a top choice on my list. I had it down to Virginia and Texas, and am still looking into both (and waiting on offers). It looks like I may pay sticker (or close to) at both, and I would rather pay sticker at Virginia than at Texas. I'm working on negotiating with UT for some money through the scholarship-matching program, and if they match my top offer I will likely attend. I do want Dallas right out of law school, and quite possibly for many years after that, but I do have aspirations for political office and other things... so, needless to say, I'm totally conflicted about where to go at this point. :-/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:35 pm

ChonWayne wrote:
wellington wrote:
I also get the error if I use the link on the SMU website. It looks like they broke it :)

Code: Select all

https://aces2.lsac.org/YourStatus/membership/logon.aspx

You have navigated here in error.
Invalid Entry Point. You must enter this site from the LawSchool's website. 
Or Perhaps your session timed out. Please return to your Law Schools Website. 

If I use my bookmark, it works fine.

http://www.law.smu.edu/admissions/CheckApplicationStatus.aspx

utcris410

Bronze

Post by utcris410 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Sangiovese wrote:
ChonWayne wrote:
wellington wrote:
I also get the error if I use the link on the SMU website. It looks like they broke it :)

Strange..the website link works for me?

ChonWayne

New

Post by ChonWayne » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:52 pm

Sangiovese wrote:
ChonWayne wrote:
wellington wrote:

Thanks a lot, the second link worked fine... unfortunately there hasn't been a change. Still stuck at App Complete since 1/14 for FT.

SummerLaw

Bronze

Post by SummerLaw » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:16 pm

I'm still complete since mid January (update on 2/3) for PT... Come onnnnnnnnnnnn

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

k10370

New

Post by k10370 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:32 pm

SummerLaw wrote:I'm still complete since mid January (update on 2/3) for PT... Come onnnnnnnnnnnn
Complete since 1/8 for FT...trying to be patient

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:15 pm

fathergoose wrote:No HS invite in the mail today. Bummer. Anybody get one today?
Nothing here.

UTL_plz

Bronze

Post by UTL_plz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:18 pm

me either

looking forward to ASD

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:21 pm

UTL_plz wrote:me either