SMU 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
utcris410

Re: SMU 2010!

Postby utcris410 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:14 pm

You can apply for both. They state that you can apply for both with one application fee.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:37 pm

utcris410 wrote:You can apply for both. They state that you can apply for both with one application fee.

How did I not see that on the app???

Oh well.

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:39 pm

keg411 wrote:
utcris410 wrote:You can apply for both. They state that you can apply for both with one application fee.

Oh well.

"You are welcome to apply to our full-time day program, our part-time evening program, or both programs with only one application and one application fee. Please note, however, that an accepted applicant is only offered admission to one program. For this reason, please feel free to state a preference in your application if you have one. If you are interested in learning more about our part-time evening program, please attend one of our information sessions."

Based on last year's thread, some applicants called and requested to be considered for both (when they originally applied for just FT). It's worth a shot if you are truly interested in full-time. Hope that helps!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:42 pm

utcris410 wrote:
keg411 wrote:

Oh well.

"You are welcome to apply to our full-time day program, our part-time evening program, or both programs with only one application and one application fee. Please note, however, that an accepted applicant is only offered admission to one program. For this reason, please feel free to state a preference in your application if you have one. If you are interested in learning more about our part-time evening program, please attend one of our information sessions."

Based on last year's thread, some applicants called and requested to be considered for both (when they originally applied for just FT). It's worth a shot if you are truly interested in full-time. Hope that helps!

I may do that in the future. Right now I'm only somewhat interested in FT (at SMU), but if I change my mind before they make a decision, I'll go that route.

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:53 pm

leraa6587 wrote:
SummerLaw wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:
SummerLaw wrote:Just submitted an SMU application... but it sounds like I wont hear anything for a few months. I applied to PT. Anyone know how many PT applicants they take? Would it have been better to apply FT?

from what i've seen on last year's thread, it looks like they review PT separately from FT, then defer those who checked both to the PT discussion. IF this is true, it means you actually have a better chance, depending on your LSAT. it's going to be a kind of a screwball year (imo) for PT since they rank these programs now

Yeah you're right - I think PT is going to be tough everywhere, except for a couple schools who didn't get dinged hard last year for their PT programs (Georgetown for example). I'm 3.7/165 but I applied late in the game so we'll see what kind of luck I have. What are the numbers for SMU? For whatever reason I can't get to that page on their website without it crashing.

PT median gpa: 3.62/FT median gpa: 3.76
PT median lsat: 159/ FT median lsat: 164
76 students matriculated PT / 164 students full time
http://www.law.smu.edu/Default.aspx?DN= ... beddec52c2

edit: summerlaw, you stand a great chance. it's really not [i]that[i] late. Our law school admissions counselor at Texas A&M said typically 50% of applications schools receive are within the 2 weeks prior to the deadline (which i think is february 15 this year, so you're close, but could be worse). plus they have "late decision"... whatever that is

Thanks for all your help leera. I am an out of state applicant so we'll see. Thats interesting that your law advisor said they get 50% of the applications within 2 weeks prior to the deadline. I figured this late in the game = dead meat. Good to know! Good luck to you.

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:34 pm

hey summerlaw- no problem, good luck to you too. also, SMU is a private university, thus it does not matter if you are out of state. in fact, it's not even a methodist university anymore- lost the affiliation, kept the name. the only way in-state helps is when you write the "why dallas/smu?" part of your PS, if that can help at all haha

so close guys!!!

matrix637

Postby matrix637 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:38 pm

leraa6587 wrote:hey summerlaw- no problem, good luck to you too. also, SMU is a private university, thus it does not matter if you are out of state. in fact, it's not even a methodist university anymore- lost the affiliation, kept the name. the only way in-state helps is when you write the "why dallas/smu?" part of your PS, if that can help at all haha

so close guys!!!

So close, yet sooooo far lol

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:41 pm

I called down there yesterday. The optional diversity essay is not required for scholarship consideration. It is only considered for diversity-related scholarships. Of course, they may prefer that the essay is written. In my case, the only diversity I offer is discussed in my personal statement, and I felt that writing another essay on the topic would be redundant.

She also confirmed what we already know - EA/ED decisions will come out toward the end of next week.

adrib

Postby adrib » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:48 pm

chrisokc wrote:I called down there yesterday. The optional diversity essay is not required for scholarship consideration. It is only considered for diversity-related scholarships. Of course, they may prefer that the essay is written. In my case, the only diversity I offer is discussed in my personal statement, and I felt that writing another essay on the topic would be redundant.

She also confirmed what we already know - EA/ED decisions will come out toward the end of next week.

i never wrote a diversity statement, since my PS pretty much gave all my diversity info. the lady told me to just write on a separate sheet of paper that i requested my PS be considered a DS for diversity scholarships.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:18 pm

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pretty-much sold on SMU. I would love to live in the Dallas area. If you're not able to get into a top-20 to top-25 school, I'm not sure there is a better option. From what I've read, graduating with a respectable class ranking puts you in a nice position for a good job in Dallas. Portability may be an issue, but for an Okie like me, Dallas offers just about all I need.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:14 pm

chrisokc wrote:I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pretty-much sold on SMU. I would love to live in the Dallas area. If you're not able to get into a top-20 to top-25 school, I'm not sure there is a better option. From what I've read, graduating with a respectable class ranking puts you in a nice position for a good job in Dallas. Portability may be an issue, but for an Okie like me, Dallas offers just about all I need.

SMU is at the top of my list; depending on how much money I get from each school I could see myself choosing SMU (if I get in) over WUSTL.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:18 am

chrisokc wrote:I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pretty-much sold on SMU. I would love to live in the Dallas area. If you're not able to get into a top-20 to top-25 school, I'm not sure there is a better option. From what I've read, graduating with a respectable class ranking puts you in a nice position for a good job in Dallas. Portability may be an issue, but for an Okie like me, Dallas offers just about all I need.

Unless I get a scholarship from a top-25 school that absolutely blows me away (Illinois has come close), I'll be deciding between Houston and SMU.

texaspecial88

Postby texaspecial88 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:47 pm

Aren't the EDers supposed to hear by the 28th??? Its already the 25th and no one has heard a peep. What's going on?

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:21 pm

School? wrote:.... im starting to think SMU can suck it.

Why? Because you are impatient? It's not like they are late or anything. They are keeping the same timeline they provided when you began the process.

adrib

Postby adrib » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:22 pm

we're either going to have to quit updating this thread, or start updating it hourly so I get used to seeing it updated. my heart skips a beat every time this thing gets bumped!

texaspecial88

Postby texaspecial88 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:23 pm

so the 31st is their deadline? not the 28th?

RSN_M3

Postby RSN_M3 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:21 pm

Some of you need to chill out. They have a deadline, the 31st. If no decisions are rendered by then, complain away. Until then, please STFU.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:52 pm

adrib wrote:
chrisokc wrote:I called down there yesterday. The optional diversity essay is not required for scholarship consideration. It is only considered for diversity-related scholarships. Of course, they may prefer that the essay is written. In my case, the only diversity I offer is discussed in my personal statement, and I felt that writing another essay on the topic would be redundant.

i never wrote a diversity statement, since my PS pretty much gave all my diversity info. the lady told me to just write on a separate sheet of paper that i requested my PS be considered a DS for diversity scholarships.

Wow I wish I would've known this. My PS also works as a DS but I forced myself to write a DS for them so I could be considered for scholarship. I also delayed my app a month to write it. Although that's my fault. Oh well, c'est la vie.

adrib

Postby adrib » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:02 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
adrib wrote:

Wow I wish I would've known this. My PS also works as a DS but I forced myself to write a DS for them so I could be considered for scholarship. I also delayed my app a month to write it. Although that's my fault. Oh well, c'est la vie.

i bet your app is that much stronger for it! i just racked my brain for something unique about me that wasn't in my PS, and i came up empty handed, so i called.

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:09 pm

Application complete, 1/26/10 with this above:

"You may notice that your current status date has changed. This is either because a portion of your file has been updated or the initial review of your file has been completed. Nither of these situations change your early, regular, or late decision standing. We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed."

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:10 pm

My complete date changed!!!

1/26

It said this on my status checker:

"You may notice that your current status date has changed. This is either because a portion of your file has been updated or the initial review of your file has been completed. Nither of these situations change your early, regular, or late decision standing. We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed. "

Note: the typo of "Nither" is the way it appears on my status checker. Just worth noting.

Anybody else??

Edit: I didn't see yours posted. my bad
Last edited by fathergoose on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:11 pm

chrisokc wrote:Application complete, 1/26/10 with this above:

"You may notice that your current status date has changed. This is either because a portion of your file has been updated or the initial review of your file has been completed. Nither of these situations change your early, regular, or late decision standing. We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed."

+1

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:13 pm

Does anybody know how SMU notifies people?

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:13 pm

fathergoose wrote:Does anybody know how SMU notifies people?

You just posted your own answer :lol:

"We are unable to release decisions by phone or email. All final decisions will be mailed. "

chrisokc

Postby chrisokc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:14 pm

fathergoose wrote:Does anybody know how SMU notifies people?

I think I read that they send e-mails on LSN...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”