SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalvano

Diamond

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by kalvano » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:41 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:What's everyone doing for prep (if anything)?

Reading all the E&E's, all the Delaney books, Getting To Maybe, LEEWS, browsing hornbooks.*

SpencerPratt wrote:When do we think we'll get our schedules?
End of July or so.

SpencerPratt wrote:Will anyone be ordering books online soon-ish rather than buying in the bookstore?
I'm going to wait and see which professor I get, then see what's cheapest.

*Just kidding.

Or am I?

callingsarah

New

Post by callingsarah » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:00 pm

kalvano wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:What's everyone doing for prep (if anything)?

Reading all the E&E's, all the Delaney books, Getting To Maybe, LEEWS, browsing hornbooks.*

SpencerPratt wrote:When do we think we'll get our schedules?
End of July or so.

SpencerPratt wrote:Will anyone be ordering books online soon-ish rather than buying in the bookstore?
I'm going to wait and see which professor I get, then see what's cheapest.

*Just kidding.

Or am I?
Please, please, PLEASE tell me you're just kidding.

UTL_plz

Bronze

Post by UTL_plz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:57 pm

sounds like someone's drinking atticus falcon's kool-aid. not that i'm objecting.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:22 am

betasteve wrote:wasted an epic amount of time.

That's not true. I read what I am supposed to do on the Internet so it must be true.

CV108

New

Post by CV108 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:51 am

I know this is asked a lot...But has anyone seen any movement lately? I hate waiting! I will wait it out til the end...But I wish they'd just accept or deny ):
Does anyone know how I could find last year's forum so I could look at when they had their last decisions made? Or does anyone know how late they kept accepting/rejecting?
Thanks (:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DavidB

Bronze

Post by DavidB » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:03 pm

CV108 wrote:...Does anyone know how I could find last year's forum so I could look at when they had their last decisions made?...Thanks (:
Here's the thread from last year: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =7&t=51824

Someone said they received an offer as late as August 14.

texasforever

New

Post by texasforever » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:07 pm

you guys haven't read all the E&E's yet?

Getting to Maybe was a good book although it bored the hell out of me. It is a book that should probably be read as side reading during the semester because it actually requires some knowledge about the subjects. Learning Legal Reasoning was the best out of all of them so far, imo.

They finally got you, Hart, they sucked all that Midwestern charm right out of you. Look, he's got you scared to death. You're going to pass, because you're the kind the law school wants.
- The Paper Chase

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:52 pm

texasforever wrote:It is a book that should probably be read as side reading during the semester

The humor in this statement won't become apparent to most of you until January or February...

FWIW - Getting to Maybe is boring and you do need at least a minimal understanding, but I would recommend reading it now (or the first week or so of August). That way by mid-November you can go back to it and just skim through the high points to reinforce concepts. If you try to save this for "side reading" during the semester, you'll end up just not reading it or only reading the first 25 pages.

UTL_plz

Bronze

Post by UTL_plz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:13 pm

i really enjoyed getting to maybe, fwiw

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:57 pm

nontradintexas wrote:
texasforever wrote:It is a book that should probably be read as side reading during the semester

The humor in this statement won't become apparent to most of you until January or February...

FWIW - Getting to Maybe is boring and you do need at least a minimal understanding, but I would recommend reading it now (or the first week or so of August). That way by mid-November you can go back to it and just skim through the high points to reinforce concepts. If you try to save this for "side reading" during the semester, you'll end up just not reading it or only reading the first 25 pages.
Are you saying it is humorous because we won't have time for side reading, or because by January/February will we have realized that we screwed-up our Fall-semester grades?

Ozarka

New

Post by Ozarka » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Currently looking for a roommate for this coming August.
Its a 3 Bedroom townhouse with two current roommates who are both second year SMU Law students.
Desirable quiet and safe residential location with respectful and professional neighbors
Excellent location: Nearest major intersection is Spring Valley Rd and Waterview.
It's a Duplex Townhouse built in 2008 and North of SMU Campus (less than 8 miles).

New appliances, close to shopping centers and gated community!

Rent price includes utilities: wireless internet, HD cable, electric, water, gas, association fees, washer/dryer, refrigerator, air-conditioning!

Very nice, clean, open layout
Carpeted floors, interior paint in 2009. Granite counter tops in kitchen and bathrooms upstairs, interior paint in 2009. Living room with fireplace.
Bedrooms located upstairs with walk-in closets. Spacious backyard.

If you have any questions you could definitely message me back through top law schools or PM me.

Thank you
Last edited by Ozarka on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:10 pm

chrisokc wrote:
nontradintexas wrote:

Are you saying it is humorous because we won't have time for side reading, or because by January/February will we have realized that we screwed-up our Fall-semester grades?

Sorry for the ambiguity - I meant because there will be no time for side reading. Of course, the pessimists among you can also take the second meaning, too. :-)

I guess the joke would have been better had I used November/December...

CV108

New

Post by CV108 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:26 pm

DavidB wrote:
CV108 wrote:...Does anyone know how I could find last year's forum so I could look at when they had their last decisions made?...Thanks (:
Here's the thread from last year: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =7&t=51824

Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:37 pm

CV108 wrote:
DavidB wrote:

Thanks!
I can confirm the 08/14 date - I know a classmate who received her call that day. Good luck to those of you who are waiting!

texasforever

New

Post by texasforever » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:52 pm

I was kidding about the E&E's by the way, anybody stupid enough to read all 6 before law school didn't realize that half of the stuff in those books aren't even covered by the professor.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:14 pm

T minus 6 weeks until the first day of class :?

UTL_plz

Bronze

Post by UTL_plz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:11 pm

Cliff Lee traded to Rangers!!!!!11!!!!1eleven!@!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:14 pm

Rangers are playing the Yanks and Sox the first week I move to Dallas. It'll be awesome to see Lee down there. Rangers are legit WS contenders now.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:11 pm

It's been over a week since I did my counseling and accepted my loans. I got a letter from Direct PLUS saying my credit was okey-dokey, but no certification yet from SMU. So should I be all up in SMU's business?

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Speaking of sports, does anyone know how we would get season football tickets? I don't remember seeing an e-mail about it.

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:25 pm

SMU football? As an undergrad, we just use our student ID's at the gates to get into the games. I'm assuming it'd be a similar situation as a law student. The stadium doesn't exactly pack. But it's getting better.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 pm

and you saying only 6 weeks until day one scares the shit out of me.

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:27 pm

Haven't seen much about that I don't think. We're supposed to be pretty good, right? I come from college basketball territory.

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:38 pm

We've been awful (mostly 1-11) in the recent past but last year we were i think 8-5 and won our first bowl game since 1984. New Coach June Jones is doing wonders. Definitely a program to watch grow. Exciting for me as I waited 4 years of undergrad for this to start happening. Our basketball team isn't much to get excited about.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:53 pm

mbusch22 wrote:We've been awful (mostly 1-11) in the recent past but last year we were i think 8-5 and won our first bowl game since 1984. New Coach June Jones is doing wonders. Definitely a program to watch grow. Exciting for me as I waited 4 years of undergrad for this to start happening. Our basketball team isn't much to get excited about.
Do they accept law students as walk-ons?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”