SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mbusch22

Bronze

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by mbusch22 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:32 pm

saw this posted. sweet.

"just thought I'd let everyone know. Stringer mentioned it in a thread and I couldn't find any information on it, so I e-mailed Examsoft and they said:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting ExamSoft Support. The Mac version of SofTest will be available at the beginning of the fall semester. Bootcamp and a copy of windows will NOT be required in order to install SofTest Mac. You will be able install it on your mac platform."

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:43 pm

kalvano wrote:So wait, you go home to change before the dinner? Damn. I thought day one was 11:00 to 8:00 and day two was 9:00 to 3:00 or so.

Also, when is the latest you can file Declaration of Intent? I can find the regular filing date but not the ultimate deadline.

If I recall correctly, there was a period from about 3:30 to 6:30 where the only thing we had to do was check out the Organization Fair to see student orgs. I used that downtime to run home, chill, and change clothes.

By "ultimate" deadline do you mean the time to file including a late fee but before taking the bar? Or just the deadline so that you won't have a late fee?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:45 pm

nontradintexas wrote:
kalvano wrote:So wait, you go home to change before the dinner? Damn. I thought day one was 11:00 to 8:00 and day two was 9:00 to 3:00 or so.

Also, when is the latest you can file Declaration of Intent? I can find the regular filing date but not the ultimate deadline.

If I recall correctly, there was a period from about 3:30 to 6:30 where the only thing we had to do was check out the Organization Fair to see student orgs. I used that downtime to run home, chill, and change clothes.

By "ultimate" deadline do you mean the time to file including a late fee but before taking the bar? Or just the deadline so that you won't have a late fee?
I'll be there all day, so I guess I'll have to wear jeans for the dinner day.

And I mean the absolute last day you can file it.

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:55 pm

kalvano wrote:
nontradintexas wrote:

I'll be there all day, so I guess I'll have to wear jeans for the dinner day.

And I mean the absolute last day you can file it.
Jeans are not a bad choice - last year there were a huge amount of mosquitos so I was glad I had jeans on. Some people in shorts weren't so glad about their choice.

As for the ultimate deadline, the BLE Rulebook says:

Rule VI
Declaration of Intention to Study Law; General Provisions

(b) The timely filing deadline for such Declaration, for which no late fees shall be charged, shall be as follows:

Fall entrants, October 1;
Regular spring entrants, May 1;
Spring entrants at quarter hour law schools, June 1;
Summer entrants, September 15.

(c) Declarations filed with the Board after the timely filing deadline will be accepted with the payment of applicable late fees as set forth in Rule XVIII, so long as they are filed by the absolute deadline set out in Rule IX(a)(3). However, regardless of the date a Declaration is filed, the Board shall have 270 days from the date the Declaration is filed to conduct its character and fitness investigation and notify the Declarant of the Board’s determination, as provided in Rule VIII(a).

I think that means that the absolute latest you would want to file would be no less than 270 days before the date you must register to take the bar. The deadline for the July test is the preceding January 30th. So I guess no less than 270 days before that date? Basically, it seems like you'll need to decide at least 15 months in advance. I would suggest just submitting it now, and if you decide not to take the Texas bar for whatever reason, you've wasted some effort. But if you do decide to take it, you saved yourself a lot of stress down the road while you are in the middle of a very busy 2L year.

Also, as a general note to everyone, if you think you might take the bar in another state - make sure you check with that state to see what the filing deadlines are as well as the paperwork that is required. Now is a good time to do that, because two weeks from now you're going to be somewhat busy.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:59 pm

Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm starting to think our bookstore is a model of inefficiency.

I ordered some books online a week ago and selected "in store pickup" as the delivery method. Order status still says, "submitted." WTF?

UTL_plz

Bronze

Post by UTL_plz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:34 pm

amazon ftw

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:57 pm

Looks like Professor Crespi might be getting a little senile*.

* Just kidding. Please don't fail me.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:58 pm

Iconoclast wrote:I'm starting to think our bookstore is a model of inefficiency.

I ordered some books online a week ago and selected "in store pickup" as the delivery method. Order status still says, "submitted." WTF?

I would cancel it and go with Amazon / Half. I think the total for me for everything, aside from legal writing stuff you have to get at the SMU store, has been about $850.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:02 pm

kalvano wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:I'm starting to think our bookstore is a model of inefficiency.

I would cancel it and go with Amazon / Half. I think the total for me for everything, aside from legal writing stuff you have to get at the SMU store, has been about $850.
I only ordered stuff that either isn't on amazon (texas rules of form, 12th) or is out of stock (bluebook). Thought it would be easy to just swing by during lunch one day and grab em... but I guess not. If the damn things are out of stock, then say so. There is no point in having 5 or 6 different "order status codes" if a week after ordering, it still says "submitted" (which, ironically, is not contained in their list of order status codes) :)

Texasboundanddown

Bronze

Post by Texasboundanddown » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:05 pm

Should I be worried that my gradplus loans don't have the "loan details" next to it in the fin aid category? Kinda worried that it hasn't been certified yet which is odd since I have near perfect credit...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:09 pm

Texasboundanddown wrote:Should I be worried that my gradplus loans don't have the "loan details" next to it in the fin aid category?

Yes. They are supposed to disburse today.

Anyone had them show up yet in their student account?

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:12 pm

Texasboundanddown wrote:Should I be worried that my gradplus loans don't have the "loan details" next to it in the fin aid category? Kinda worried that it hasn't been certified yet which is odd since I have near perfect credit...
You should have been informed whether or not you qualified for a Grad PLUS at the time you applied for it. On a related note, nothing changed on Access SMU today. I was hoping for a zeroed-out balance since today was the disbursement date. At least the My SF eSpace has a credit balance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Texasboundanddown

Bronze

Post by Texasboundanddown » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:23 pm

chrisokc wrote:
Texasboundanddown wrote:Should I be worried that my gradplus loans don't have the "loan details" next to it in the fin aid category? Kinda worried that it hasn't been certified yet which is odd since I have near perfect credit...
You should have been informed whether or not you qualified for a Grad PLUS at the time you applied for it. On a related note, nothing changed on Access SMU today. I was hoping for a zeroed-out balance since today was the disbursement date. At least the My SF eSpace has a credit balance.
In my email? Maybe its taking a while since I didn't accept all of it. I dunno. I'll call tomorrow.

I actually got an email three-ish days ago about there being confusion over my mpn (I got an email saying I needed to do while I had actually done it) and they were trying to fix it. Hopefully its that.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:31 pm

Texasboundanddown wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
In my email? Maybe its taking a while since I didn't accept all of it. I dunno. I'll call tomorrow.

I actually got an email three-ish days ago about there being confusion over my mpn (I got an email saying I needed to do while I had actually done it) and they were trying to fix it. Hopefully its that.
No, immediately after you apply online for the Grad PLUS, it should indicate that it is processing. Then, the site informs you whether or not you qualified.

Texasboundanddown

Bronze

Post by Texasboundanddown » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:43 pm

chrisokc wrote:
Texasboundanddown wrote:
chrisokc wrote:

No, immediately after you apply online for the Grad PLUS, it should indicate that it is processing. Then, the site informs you whether or not you qualified.
Ooo you meant that. Yea I was approved. I thought you meant from the school indicating they had the approval. I'll give it til tomorrow morning and then see whats up.

Thanks, btw.

tinyone

Bronze

Post by tinyone » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I only ordered stuff that either isn't on amazon (texas rules of form, 12th) or is out of stock (bluebook). Thought it would be easy to just swing by during lunch one day and grab em... but I guess not. If the damn things are out of stock, then say so. There is no point in having 5 or 6 different "order status codes" if a week after ordering, it still says "submitted" (which, ironically, is not contained in their list of order status codes) :)

I did the same thing. I put in two orders with the bookstore, one for legal writing class book and one for everything else. My first order was completed today and is ready for pick up. The only item back ordered is the supplement for Civ Pro (Sec. 2). I figure they will probably get it in by the 20th (just going to go w/ blissful ignorance). My second order still isn't ready, even though it was placed 2 days after the first, hopefully it will be in the next day or two.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:39 am

Tuition is paid.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:27 pm

chrisokc wrote:Tuition is paid.
mine as well

The heat here is borderline ridiculous. I went running at 9 last night to try and avoid melting and it was still 93 degrees. Unreal.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:29 pm

fathergoose wrote:
chrisokc wrote:Tuition is paid.
mine as well

The heat here is borderline ridiculous. I went running at 9 last night to try and avoid melting and it was still 93 degrees. Unreal.
86 at 5am. Highs have been over 100 for more than a week. I'll probably just wear tighty whiteys to the orientation.

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:37 pm

Still showing a balance in my account. Should we expect to automatically see a major increase in our bank accounts if we've set up direct deposit or do we still need to go the my SF eSpace and confirm something? Were y'all emailed and told about the tuition being received and paid?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:43 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:Still showing a balance in my account. Should we expect to automatically see a major increase in our bank accounts if we've set up direct deposit or do we still need to go the my SF eSpace and confirm something? Were y'all emailed and told about the tuition being received and paid?
I've just been checking it over the course of the last couple of days. My account changed from a balance due to a credit balance. I'll bet the money hits our bank accounts tomorrow or Friday. Hopefully tomorrow.

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:52 pm

It's still a little confusing.

My number is currently negative and is a result of fall disbursement aid and deposits paid less the tuition and fees. Is this just a current projection and not an indication that tuition is paid? I'm seeing "no credits are issued" under the Refund Disbursement Summary, so I'm assuming I'm still playing the waiting game.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:01 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:It's still a little confusing.

My number is currently negative and is a result of fall disbursement aid and deposits paid less the tuition and fees. Is this just a current projection and not an indication that tuition is paid? I'm seeing "no credits are issued" under the Refund Disbursement Summary, so I'm assuming I'm still playing the waiting game.
At my undergrad., what would happen is that I would have a balance due on my student account. Then, the aid would get applied and I would have a credit, or negative balance for a day or so. Then, that credit balance would go to zero. The day after that credit balance went to zero, the money would hit my checking account.

If I had to bet, I would say that the balance on Access SMU will zero-out later today or tomorrow. At that time or shortly thereafter, the SF eSpace balance will zero-out and the money will hit your checking account after that.

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:04 pm

chrisokc wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:It's still a little confusing.

At my undergrad., what would happen is that I would have a balance due on my student account. Then, the aid would get applied and I would have a credit, or negative balance for a day or so. Then, that credit balance would go to zero. The day after that credit balance went to zero, the money would hit my checking account.

If I had to bet, I would say that the balance on Access SMU will zero-out later today or tomorrow. At that time or shortly thereafter, the SF eSpace balance will zero-out and the money will hit your checking account after that.

This is the process.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”