SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SpencerPratt

Bronze

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by SpencerPratt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:16 pm

^^ or cheat lol

Seat deposits are due in one week!!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:29 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:^^ or cheat lol

Hopefully this means there will be more admits soon :? . I feel like I'm the only one left waiting and my numbers are definitely solid for SMU (I just went complete VERY VERY late).

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:13 pm

keg411 wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:^^ or cheat lol

Hopefully this means there will be more admits soon :? . I feel like I'm the only one left waiting and my numbers are definitely solid for SMU (I just went complete VERY VERY late).
Believe me, you're not the only one waiting.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:28 pm

Matter of fact, I'm grappling with the idea of sending a LOCI to SMU, even though I'm still under review. I really want an admit from them; I think a WL or a rejection would make the milk in my corn flakes taste sour. Then again, I want to walk a fine line between hopeful interest and irritating folks. What do you think? Do I have anything to lose by doing it?

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:54 pm

rtx10 wrote:
Bustang wrote:When are seat deposits due?
April 1st for the first one.
Well hopefully there is some movement soon then!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:58 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:Seat deposits are due in one week!!
With that in mind.. I have a question. :)

It seems like a lot of the recent admits got scholly offers along with their acceptance. Being a goober who took the LSAT cold, I am not one of those who received a scholly offer with my phone call/packet. :)

With seat deposits coming due and people withdrawing, it seems like some additional scholly dollars should be coming available. What are the odds that someone who was accepted (but didn't get any dinero with the offer) will be offered a small scholly after the deposit deadline?

According to LSN, a couple part time people with 161 / 2.9x received 5K per year (20K total) offers. I realize that a 161 is a pretty decent jump above my 156... but my 4.0 seems like a fairly significant equalizer compared to a 2.9 I certainly don't feel entitled to a chunk of cash, but based on what others are reporting, it doesn't seem out of the question either.

I'm considering sending in a letter inquiring about scholarship potential, but I don't really have any leverage. SMU was the only school I applied to and is the only one in the area I would actually attend. I did send in the initial seat deposit if that makes a difference.

Thoughts?

texasforever

New

Post by texasforever » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 pm

I think the majority of RD applicants are still waiting on a decision, which is ridiculous because the seat deposit is due in a week.

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:55 pm

texasforever wrote:I think the majority of RD applicants are still waiting on a decision, which is ridiculous because the seat deposit is due in a week.
It does seem strange. Looking at last year, it appears that after the ED round, there was a batch of decisions near the end of Feb, and then sporadic March acceptances. This year, the only movement post ED seems to have been in the part time program.

I wonder what the difference is? Was there such a flood of ED applicants this year that they want to see how many reserve their seats with a deposit before they decide how many RD to accept?

Whatever it is, I hope that those who are still waiting get good news soon.

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:57 pm

Now I'm not going to law school just to make a lot of money, but that recent email sent to admitted students makes me feel good about my choice!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:21 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:Now I'm not going to law school just to make a lot of money, but that recent email sent to admitted students makes me feel good about my choice!
+1

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:24 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:Now I'm not going to law school just to make a lot of money, but that recent email sent to admitted students makes me feel good about my choice!
Would someone mind summarizing or posting what was said, that's of interest in that e-mail?

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:38 pm

The part that interested me was of the 97% who were employed 9 months after graduation the median salary was right at 100k

edit: yes I know that it's self reported data in a lot of instances and those number may or may not reflect reality. It is comforting though that SMU's biased self reported numbers compare very favorably with other schools biased self reported data

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:45 pm

I'd really like to see the breakdown between top 10%, top 30%, top 50%, etc...

I wonder how skewed those numbers are by the people who are graduating at the top (and at the bottom I guess).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cafloyd12

New

Post by cafloyd12 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:47 pm

I think if we could get a "percentage of those reporting" that it would go a long way towards giving us an idea of how much weight we can put on those figures.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:52 pm

cafloyd12 wrote:I think if we could get a "percentage of those reporting" that it would go a long way towards giving us an idea of how much weight we can put on those figures.
True ... but any brief doubts I might have had about SMU were resolved once I checked out their NLJ250 placement numbers from last year, 23 percent.

cafloyd12

New

Post by cafloyd12 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:00 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
cafloyd12 wrote:I think if we could get a "percentage of those reporting" that it would go a long way towards giving us an idea of how much weight we can put on those figures.
True ... but any brief doubts I might have had about SMU were resolved once I checked out their NLJ250 placement numbers from last year, 23 percent.
Oh, absolutely. I actually don't think they are that far off (if they're off at all). There's no doubt that SMU places like a beast for its ranking. I just like to see that percentage reporting figure. It's a comfort stat.

Percentage reporting is to law school placement statistics as meatloaf is to American cuisine.

bass08

Bronze

Post by bass08 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:05 pm

I'm 90% sure ill be putting down my deposit later this week. I'm excited to visit and see everything in person!
I also got the email about placement. Great numbers, but I'd also like more of a detailed breakdown, although I think they're legit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:07 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
FunkyJD, I feel like half of the schools we are looking at are the same :lol:. Hopefully we both get SMU sooner rather than later.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:10 pm

keg411 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
FunkyJD, I feel like half of the schools we are looking at are the same :lol:. Hopefully we both get SMU sooner rather than later.
You know, I thought the exact same thing earlier. That's hilarious.

Okay, you have to get in now. If you get in, maybe I will too.

CV108

New

Post by CV108 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:16 pm

i'm new to this board and I read through a little, but I apologize for not wanting to read 59 pages... haha
Does anyone know how I can let admissions know that I may be interested in PT too? I am one of the "decisions at the end of April" and SMU is absolutely my #1 choice...
I just want to get in! Don't care if it takes me 4 yrs to graduate..haha
any insight is greatly appreciated.

Texasboundanddown

Bronze

Post by Texasboundanddown » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:39 pm

CV108 wrote:i'm new to this board and I read through a little, but I apologize for not wanting to read 59 pages... haha
Does anyone know how I can let admissions know that I may be interested in PT too? I am one of the "decisions at the end of April" and SMU is absolutely my #1 choice...
I just want to get in! Don't care if it takes me 4 yrs to graduate..haha
any insight is greatly appreciated.
I'm pretty sure you can email their mass admission email with the request. But you usually need a pretty decent reason to switch when it comes to SMU. I just recently got a commitment from my work that I can transfer to Dallas (from Houston) next year if I need be. I didn't anticipate it when I initially applied so I called them last week and the really nice lady on the phone said you just need to clearly delineate why you want to be considered for PT. So I literally just finished my letter on why I would like to be considered for PT. Gonna send it tomorrow.

Am I right? I'm not an active participant in this particular thread so I may not be the best person to ask :mrgreen:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:42 pm

I found this today in my boredom at work:

http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20sc ... page12.pdf

It is the National Law Journal's "Go To Law Schools" which is basically just the NALP 250 placement as a percentage of the class. SMU came in at #28 with 23%. It clearly is strongly influenced by the less devastated Texas economy because UH (#37 with 18%) also greatly outpaces its US News ranking. Whatever the case, it certainly is encouraging.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:43 pm

SMU has always placed like a much, much higher-ranked school, just because of its prestige and hold on the Dallas market.

My dad said it was true when he graduated 40-odd years ago, has been true through boom and bust times in Dallas, and is still true today.

blackeyeddog

New

Post by blackeyeddog » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:29 am

deleted
Last edited by blackeyeddog on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justsmu10

New

Post by justsmu10 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:51 pm

Sangiovese wrote:
texasforever wrote:I think the majority of RD applicants are still waiting on a decision, which is ridiculous because the seat deposit is due in a week.
It does seem strange. Looking at last year, it appears that after the ED round, there was a batch of decisions near the end of Feb, and then sporadic March acceptances. This year, the only movement post ED seems to have been in the part time program.

I wonder what the difference is? Was there such a flood of ED applicants this year that they want to see how many reserve their seats with a deposit before they decide how many RD to accept?
Whatever it is, I hope that those who are still waiting get good news soon.
I think you may be on to something here. Rumor has it that the number of applicants, both ED and RD, was way up this year. It could well be that they want to see exactly how many ED reserve seats before the big wave of RD admits comes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”