SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FunkyJD

Silver

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:26 am

traehekat wrote:Ughh still procrastinating on doing this application. I am a failure. I originally had no intent of applying, but I have heard such great things about SMU I sent in a fee waiver request and just got it a couple days ago. Any advice on the Why SMU? essay?
Mention that you love the state of Texas. A lot. Mention that you love Dallas, too. A lot. Mention that Troy Aikman, Moose Johnston, and Emmitt Smith are gods among men. Mention that you love getting buffalo burgers at Ye Ole Butcher Shop in Plano, and that the corn bread that comes on the side with the platters at Market Street is really good.

I am kidding ... but only slightly. Discuss your interest in practicing law in Dallas -- a most wonderful city -- and how/why SMU is just the right place to accomplish that.

Good luck.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:31 am

Why are they waiting so long to make decisions? I swear they are going to admit their whole class on Jan. 31 at 11:59pm.

And sorry to all those whose heart skipped a beat seeing this thread bumped. I am just getting antsy.

km23

Bronze

Post by km23 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:43 am

Last edited by km23 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

wocehtoom

New

Post by wocehtoom » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:44 am

MoS wrote:Why are they waiting so long to make decisions? I swear they are going to admit their whole class on Jan. 31 at 11:59pm.

And sorry to all those whose heart skipped a beat seeing this thread bumped. I am just getting antsy.
It did until I realized it's 3am. Then again, that's what I deserve for browsing at unreasonable times

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:19 pm

km23 wrote:I was being a stalker and digging through last year's thread...looks like a lot of the EA people didn't hear until Jan. 28th-ish, so I guess they don't mind waiting until the last minute! Good luck.
on LSN, only like two people got results before the last few days of January. the EA people got their decisions Jan 28-31, and most everyone else got a decision on 2/20, except for a handful of people that waited till late March or April. i hope that's not us....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:38 pm

I wrote about a few of their programs, a bit more "Why Part Time" and then finished with some Dallas/TX fluffing. The whole thing was like a paragraph.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:25 pm

wocehtoom wrote:
MoS wrote:Why are they waiting so long to make decisions? I swear they are going to admit their whole class on Jan. 31 at 11:59pm.

It did until I realized it's 3am. Then again, that's what I deserve for browsing at unreasonable times
I live in Thailand, so it was mid afternoon for me. The only nice thing about the schedule is that I can wake up to acceptances, or rejections (non yet)

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:29 pm

tsub

New

Post by tsub » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:06 pm

Mos,

You're in Thailand? That's awesome! My family is originally from there. Maybe we can talk about Thai stuff in Dallas :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:27 pm

I'm IN.... the queue

Sorry, couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

My last LOR showed up this morning so I assigned it and submitted the application. I was surprised to receive the email from SMU with the status checker link so quickly after submitting. That seems like the one thing that has moved quickly in the whole process!

I realize that my application should have been in long ago, but maybe it won't hurt me too much.

Anyway... I hope all you early decision folks hear back soon and get good news. Just save one seat in the evening program for me :D

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:34 pm

Sangiovese wrote:I'm IN.... the queue

My last LOR showed up this morning so I assigned it and submitted the application. I was surprised to receive the email from SMU with the status checker link so quickly after submitting. That seems like the one thing that has moved quickly in the whole process!

I realize that my application should have been in long ago, but maybe it won't hurt me too much.

Anyway... I hope all you early decision folks hear back soon and get good news. Just save one seat in the evening program for me :D
i can't believe your got your status checker so fast! i waited 2 weeks for mine :( good luck to you!

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:02 am

Sangiovese wrote:I'm IN.... the queue

If you were sitting in proximity to me, I would stab your face. :D

ExplodingColon

New

Post by ExplodingColon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:59 pm

I've read the very emotional comments from the 2009 SMU thread. Describing it as CRAZY wouldn't do it justice!

--ImageRemoved--

I've decided to be patient during this process. As an attorney you do a lot of waiting, so perhaps this will help with my skills.

Good luck to everyone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:14 am

Just to make sure, no one is UR yet, right? i just can't see how they'll send out a bunch of decisions by the end of the month if none of us are Under Review yet :(

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:50 am

This thread is going to give me cardiac problems.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:02 am

Bustang wrote:This thread is going to give me cardiac problems.
it shouldn't......decisions from last year started coming out jan 30/feb 1st. with some decisions trickling out up to a week or so afterwards. they are very last minute.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:41 am

Their whole EA program is just a tease.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:09 am

Bustang wrote:This thread is going to give me cardiac problems.
Last year, decisions started coming in on the 29th and 30th. That should be the equivalent of Thursday and Friday of next week.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:04 pm

MoS wrote:Their whole EA program is just a tease.
I'm not EA, so I suppose I'm not too bothered. At least SMU tells us that they take forever.

SummerLaw

Bronze

Post by SummerLaw » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:21 pm

Just submitted an SMU application... but it sounds like I wont hear anything for a few months. I applied to PT. Anyone know how many PT applicants they take? Would it have been better to apply FT?

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:25 pm

SummerLaw wrote:Just submitted an SMU application... but it sounds like I wont hear anything for a few months. I applied to PT. Anyone know how many PT applicants they take? Would it have been better to apply FT?

from what i've seen on last year's thread, it looks like they review PT separately from FT, then defer those who checked both to the PT discussion. IF this is true, it means you actually have a better chance, depending on your LSAT. it's going to be a kind of a screwball year (imo) for PT since they rank these programs now

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SummerLaw

Bronze

Post by SummerLaw » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:39 pm

leraa6587 wrote:
SummerLaw wrote:Just submitted an SMU application... but it sounds like I wont hear anything for a few months. I applied to PT. Anyone know how many PT applicants they take? Would it have been better to apply FT?

from what i've seen on last year's thread, it looks like they review PT separately from FT, then defer those who checked both to the PT discussion. IF this is true, it means you actually have a better chance, depending on your LSAT. it's going to be a kind of a screwball year (imo) for PT since they rank these programs now
Yeah you're right - I think PT is going to be tough everywhere, except for a couple schools who didn't get dinged hard last year for their PT programs (Georgetown for example). I'm 3.7/165 but I applied late in the game so we'll see what kind of luck I have. What are the numbers for SMU? For whatever reason I can't get to that page on their website without it crashing.

leraa6587

Bronze

Post by leraa6587 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:19 pm

SummerLaw wrote:
leraa6587 wrote:

Yeah you're right - I think PT is going to be tough everywhere, except for a couple schools who didn't get dinged hard last year for their PT programs (Georgetown for example). I'm 3.7/165 but I applied late in the game so we'll see what kind of luck I have. What are the numbers for SMU? For whatever reason I can't get to that page on their website without it crashing.

PT median gpa: 3.62/FT median gpa: 3.76
PT median lsat: 159/ FT median lsat: 164
76 students matriculated PT / 164 students full time
http://www.law.smu.edu/Default.aspx?DN= ... beddec52c2

edit: summerlaw, you stand a great chance. it's really not that late. Our law school admissions counselor at Texas A&M said typically 50% of applications schools receive are within the 2 weeks prior to the deadline (which i think is february 15 this year, so you're close, but could be worse). plus they have "late decision"... whatever that is

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:52 pm

argh, i want you EA people to get answers already--I wasn't complete till 1/8/10, and the earliest batch after EA last year was on 2/20...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:12 pm

I'm pretty sure you couldn't check both FT/PT at SMU because there were all sorts of special requirements for PT (like you had to write "Why PT?" in the PS).

Anyway, I'm also in the PT stack. I figure it's going to take a while.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”