SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UTL_plz

Bronze

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by UTL_plz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:38 pm

I enjoyed the day very much and was especially impressed by Dean Attanasio

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:57 pm

yeah i was more impressed than i thought i would be, ill prob be making a final decision next weekend after i visit emory

the girl/guy ratio was a bit skewed haha... i felt like there were only seven or so gals there

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:17 pm

bonnieblue wrote:yeah i was more impressed than i thought i would be, ill prob be making a final decision next weekend after i visit emory

the girl/guy ratio was a bit skewed haha... i felt like there were only seven or so gals there
I noticed this. Any theories why that was the case? There will be more girls in the actual matriculated class yes?

On a serious note, I really did enjoy the asd. I think unless something changes I'll be there in the fall.

I was really curious who the TLSers were. Did any of y'all have breakfast on the slanted round table? Or have the tour with the petite feisty 2L with the enormous engagement ring? Or each lunch with the spaced out PT student who transfered from Georgetown?

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:31 pm

fathergoose wrote:
bonnieblue wrote:yeah i was more impressed than i thought i would be, ill prob be making a final decision next weekend after i visit emory

I noticed this. Any theories why that was the case? There will be more girls in the actual matriculated class yes?

On a serious note, I really did enjoy the asd. I think unless something changes I'll be there in the fall.

I was really curious who the TLSers were. Did any of y'all have breakfast on the slanted round table? Or have the tour with the petite feisty 2L with the enormous engagement ring? Or each lunch with the spaced out PT student who transfered from Georgetown?
I met Stephanie13.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:42 pm

And I was on a tour led by a petite, feisty 2L...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:49 pm

wellington wrote:
kalvano wrote:I felt overdressed in khakis.
Haha! Tell me about it. I felt like a tool in my sweatervest.

EDIT: I should say, MORE of a tool than a sv usually warrants. ;)

Were you wearing a tie?

wellington

Bronze

Post by wellington » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:51 pm

kalvano wrote:Were you wearing a tie?
Why yes I was.

I was on the tour with the SMU Law grad who is now one of the school's recruiters.
Last edited by wellington on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:52 pm

fathergoose wrote:

I was on a tour led by the girl whose list of activities made me feel like an utter failure just being around her. The 3L that graduated with a double major in math and physics or something like that. She will be the first female President. Very nice and friendly, though.

I ate breakfast in one of the easy chair directly in front of the little buffet, close to the coffee maker. For anyone that noticed me, HI!! And sorry if I said anything rude, it was a long drive down.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:52 pm

wellington wrote:
kalvano wrote:Were you wearing a tie?
Why yes I was.

I was on the tour with the SMU Law grad who is now their recruiter.

I noticed you. I was talking with the guy who you took the LSAT prep class with.

You looked sharp, but if I had known old jeans and a Pearl Jam shirt would have worked just as well, bet your bippy I would have been wearing that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wellington

Bronze

Post by wellington » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:53 pm

kalvano wrote:
I noticed you. I was talking with the guy who you took the LSAT prep class with.
A ha! So I did inadvertently run into one of you. And yes on the jeans/tshirt. I noticed a few people with shorts and flip-flops. I suppose it's forgivable considering this was the first decent day of weather in what seems like forever.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:56 pm

I liked the students they chose for the panel - seemed like a pretty good sample.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:00 pm

wellington wrote:A ha! So I did inadvertently run into one of you.

Yes, but it's sort of like meeting the valedictorian of summer school. I wouldn't brag about it or anything.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:03 pm

Also, I was very impressed with the Dean. He seemed exceptionally smart, and I think he teaches as well...for some reason, I really like that. That he doesn't just sit in his office all day with no idea what's actually going on.

My dad said the dean taught tax law when he went to SMU, lo those many moons ago.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:06 pm

chrisokc wrote:I liked the students they chose for the panel - seemed like a pretty good sample.
I agree. They were accomplished but didn't seem super human.

And we were in the same tour then. I sat on the far left end of the row during the sample class. And I think I talked to you breifly about where you were from.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:31 pm

fathergoose wrote:
chrisokc wrote:I liked the students they chose for the panel - seemed like a pretty good sample.

And we were in the same tour then. I sat on the far left end of the row during the sample class. And I think I talked to you breifly about where you were from.
For sure. Good to meet you.

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:39 pm

chris did you have the plaid shirt and the drawl? that was the only okc nametag i scoped out

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:06 am

What did y'all think of the emoyment statistics? The cynic in me was skeptical that they could be that rosy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:17 am

fathergoose wrote:What did y'all think of the emoyment statistics? The cynic in me was skeptical that they could be that rosy.

I wonder how many of those employed are working at Starbucks?

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:25 am

And the slide of percentages at the end, was that the percent of the total class or the percent of the people employed or the percent people employed in legal jobs.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that a quarter of the 2009 class was making big law money.

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:15 am

bonnieblue wrote:chris did you have the plaid shirt and the drawl? that was the only okc nametag i scoped out
Yes that was Chris. It was very nice meeting you (Chrisokc) by the way!

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:18 am

fathergoose wrote:

That was you? I was the girl sitting to the right of chrisokc in that class.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:35 am

so, it sounds like everyone was mostly dressed casual instead of business casual? i want to go casual to the UT ASD, but i'm scared. what are y'all doing?

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:19 pm

bonnieblue wrote:chris did you have the plaid shirt and the drawl? that was the only okc nametag i scoped out
Yup.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:20 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
Yes that was Chris. It was very nice meeting you (Chrisokc) by the way!
Nice meeting you too! Good to have someone to hang with.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:21 pm

fathergoose wrote:And the slide of percentages at the end, was that the percent of the total class or the percent of the people employed or the percent people employed in legal jobs.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that a quarter of the 2009 class was making big law money.
I've heard that usually when schools give employment percentages, it is for just those employed - in any kind of job.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”