SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cafloyd12

New

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by cafloyd12 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:09 pm

chrisokc wrote:
cafloyd12 wrote:I went ahead and applied for the gradplus, was approved and filled out my MPN's. When I click to view scheduled dispersement dates, there is no date for the gradplus loan. In fact, when it takes me to the disbursement view, I only see the sub/unsu, and scholarship amounts. I just wanted to check and make sure I'm not the only one with this problem. It could be that the school has to process my approval so it may be a while before I have a disbursement date available to view for the gradplus.
How do you apply for it?
The email that was sent informing us that the financial aid information was available has a link to the website we need to go to in order to get instructions for applying for the plus loans. Once you're at that website, it also has a link to the .gov website where you fill out the application and fill out your promissory notes. It gives you an instant decision.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:13 pm

cafloyd12 wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
cafloyd12 wrote:I went ahead and applied for the gradplus, was approved and filled out my MPN's. When I click to view scheduled dispersement dates, there is no date for the gradplus loan. In fact, when it takes me to the disbursement view, I only see the sub/unsu, and scholarship amounts. I just wanted to check and make sure I'm not the only one with this problem. It could be that the school has to process my approval so it may be a while before I have a disbursement date available to view for the gradplus.
How do you apply for it?
The email that was sent informing us that the financial aid information was available has a link to the website we need to go to in order to get instructions for applying for the plus loans. Once you're at that website, it also has a link to the .gov website where you fill out the application and fill out your promissory notes. It gives you an instant decision.
Thanks!

tinyone

Bronze

Post by tinyone » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:15 pm

chrisokc wrote:
cafloyd12 wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
How do you apply for it?
Thanks!
I'm not sure how much I want in Plus loans. When I apply should I just do it for the max amt and then accept a lesser amt later? Does anyone know if we can modify our package after we've accepted? I don't want to wait too long and lose my $$

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:15 pm

I did not receive the aforesaid e-mail...?

cafloyd12

New

Post by cafloyd12 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:47 pm

Integrity wrote:I did not receive the aforesaid e-mail...?

I'm not sure if you already know this or not...but it's going to be in your SMU email account. Not the one they've used to communicate with you throughout the admissions process.

Hope that helps. If it's not there then you may want to call enrollment services.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:18 pm

cafloyd12 wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
How do you apply for it?
OK, I did exactly what you did - applied for PLUS, signed MPN. My disbursement dates are just like yours too. Scholarship and both Staffords. It will probably take a few days for them to add the Grad PLUS since we were just approved today.

callingsarah

New

Post by callingsarah » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:27 pm

Is anyone else somewhat disturbed by the expected disbursement dates for our loans/scholarships? My access says they won't go out until August 20th-- from what I remember, that's 3 days AFTER we start orientation and such... I was really hoping to have my books located and purchased before the first day of real class!

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:32 pm

Couple of quick notes:

- Disbursement dates won't show up until SMU financial aid actually certifies your loans. I wouldn't hold my breath on this happening quickly.

- Even if your disbursement dates are after the first day of class, you can still get books. If you purchase them at the SMU bookstore, you can charge them to your student account, and that total will just be deducted from the amount of the disbursement you receive. If you want to buy them somewhere else (Amazon, half.com, etc.) then you'll likely need to pay with a credit card as you probably won't have your loan money in hand before the first day.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:33 pm

callingsarah wrote:Is anyone else somewhat disturbed by the expected disbursement dates for our loans/scholarships? My access says they won't go out until August 20th-- from what I remember, that's 3 days AFTER we start orientation and such... I was really hoping to have my books located and purchased before the first day of real class!
My scholarship says August 20, but my loans say August 10.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:24 pm

So we can do the stupid loan counseling and apply for Grad PLUS and do all that before accepting the SMU loans?

cafloyd12

New

Post by cafloyd12 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:40 pm

chrisokc wrote:
cafloyd12 wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
How do you apply for it?
OK, I did exactly what you did - applied for PLUS, signed MPN. My disbursement dates are just like yours too. Scholarship and both Staffords. It will probably take a few days for them to add the Grad PLUS since we were just approved today.
Okay great. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one. Thanks!

callingsarah

New

Post by callingsarah » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:04 pm

nontradintexas wrote:Couple of quick notes:

- Disbursement dates won't show up until SMU financial aid actually certifies your loans. I wouldn't hold my breath on this happening quickly.

- Even if your disbursement dates are after the first day of class, you can still get books. If you purchase them at the SMU bookstore, you can charge them to your student account, and that total will just be deducted from the amount of the disbursement you receive. If you want to buy them somewhere else (Amazon, half.com, etc.) then you'll likely need to pay with a credit card as you probably won't have your loan money in hand before the first day.
Awesome! Thanks for the bookstore info

wocehtoom

New

Post by wocehtoom » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:54 pm

Is the given COL number of $14,000 supposed to cover the calendar or the academic year? If just the academic year, what are we supposed to do for the summer?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:34 pm

wocehtoom wrote:Is the given COL number of $14,000 supposed to cover the calendar or the academic year? If just the academic year, what are we supposed to do for the summer?

Harry Hines.

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:36 pm

wocehtoom wrote:Is the given COL number of $14,000 supposed to cover the calendar or the academic year? If just the academic year, what are we supposed to do for the summer?
The COL covers the academic year. The best thing to do is treat your 9-month COL as if it were for 12 months. If you're in town, you could also take a class your 1L summer, which will allow you to borrow additional funds.

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:18 pm

I accepted the max amount of loans on the SMU access website under the accept/decline option. Like most, my total COA has been raised by ~10k from the original 2010-2011 estimates. I am sure it must be a mistake, but the extra cash would definitely be nice to offset the cost of housing.

Also, if anyone has yet to lock down an apartment/other housing, I suggest you guys make arrangements asap. The prices have risen by about $100-$150 for some apartments in the Village since the end of May, and may steady creep up as August approaches.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:28 pm

maxpayne wrote:I accepted the max amount of loans on the SMU access website under the accept/decline option. Like most, my total COA has been raised by ~10k from the original 2010-2011 estimates. I am sure it must be a mistake, but the extra cash would definitely be nice to offset the cost of housing.

Also, if anyone has yet to lock down an apartment/other housing, I suggest you guys make arrangements asap. The prices have risen by about $100-$150 for some apartments in the Village since the end of May, and may steady creep up as August approaches.
I spoke with someone in financial aid, and the cost of attendance is not a mistake. If you accepted the full amount, that is what you should expect to receive.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:55 pm

chrisokc wrote:
maxpayne wrote:I accepted the max amount of loans on the SMU access website under the accept/decline option. Like most, my total COA has been raised by ~10k from the original 2010-2011 estimates. I am sure it must be a mistake, but the extra cash would definitely be nice to offset the cost of housing.

I spoke with someone in financial aid, and the cost of attendance is not a mistake. If you accepted the full amount, that is what you should expect to receive.
You just made my day Chris. LOL. I know for a fact I will not need all of the extra ~10k per year but 2k or 3k will be so convenient for the higher than expected cost of living in Dallas.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:18 am

maxpayne wrote:
chrisokc wrote:

You just made my day Chris. LOL. I know for a fact I will not need all of the extra ~10k per year but 2k or 3k will be so convenient for the higher than expected cost of living in Dallas.
I'm thinking the $14k they put out as an estimate may be more of an average.

cafloyd12

New

Post by cafloyd12 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:16 pm

Wait a sec guys...are you serious? So the 10k is not less our scholarship? I was thinking that maybe the gradplus estimate was pre-subtracting our scholly amount from cost of living. If we are getting 10k more than the estimate I am going to be golden. I've already got my apartment and I've budgeted for 12 months under the estimated cost of living...

raoul79

New

Post by raoul79 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:41 pm

cafloyd12 wrote:Wait a sec guys...are you serious? So the 10k is not less our scholarship? I was thinking that maybe the gradplus estimate was pre-subtracting our scholly amount from cost of living. If we are getting 10k more than the estimate I am going to be golden. I've already got my apartment and I've budgeted for 12 months under the estimated cost of living...

Cafloyd/Maxpayne,

What apartment complex did you choose?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cafloyd12

New

Post by cafloyd12 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:53 pm

raoul79 wrote:
cafloyd12 wrote:Wait a sec guys...are you serious? So the 10k is not less our scholarship? I was thinking that maybe the gradplus estimate was pre-subtracting our scholly amount from cost of living. If we are getting 10k more than the estimate I am going to be golden. I've already got my apartment and I've budgeted for 12 months under the estimated cost of living...

Cafloyd/Maxpayne,

I'm in The Bends at The Village. I got a pretty good deal on a one bedroom.

wellington

Bronze

Post by wellington » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:32 pm

Same here. My wife was stressing about scoring a decent enough job so that we won't be living month to month on the col loans. If this extra dough holds true, things will be much more comfortable (and, ya know, maybe I could focus on law school instead of bills).

cafloyd12

New

Post by cafloyd12 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:46 pm

wellington wrote:
Same here. My wife was stressing about scoring a decent enough job so that we won't be living month to month on the col loans. If this extra dough holds true, things will be much more comfortable (and, ya know, maybe I could focus on law school instead of bills).
Absolutely. If what they told Chris was correct, then we've got nothing to worry about. They said we can expect to receive the amount we accepted. That's pretty straightforward. And all of the sudden I feel like the world has been lifted from my shoulders. *high fives all around*

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:51 pm

raoul79 wrote:

Cafloyd/Maxpayne,

I ended up securing a two bedroom/two bath apartment at Northbridge in the Village. It is pretty badass but a tad more expensive than I was expecting. I almost signed a lease at the Lakes in the Village; however, when my roommate and I went to put down a deposit, they had jumped the previously quoted price per month by $125 . We politely said thanks but no thanks. Northbridge is gated and so much nicer than the Lakes for only a fraction more per month.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”