SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Burgstaller04

Silver

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by Burgstaller04 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:11 am

lsathelp wrote:Hey guys!

So awhile back SMU was my first choice and as some of you may know i was deeply depressed when i got rejected. Well after a couple months i was curious today and went on their website and checked my status (i just had this strange feeling to check it) and to my surprise i saw the words "Waitlisted". So i called to make sure and the girl was just as confused as me, she said they were supposed to send a new letter out to me. I have already committed to Case Western and i did not send any LOCI and Im guessing its way too late now.
If you still really want SMU and can get out of your Case Western commitment, send one in. It can't hurt. There is always a chance they might pull you from the waitlist.

tinyone

Bronze

Post by tinyone » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:36 pm

cafloyd12 wrote:I just bought my books from Amazon for around $300. I bought used...but I only bought from the Amazon backed "prime" third parties and got free second day delivery with the student membership. I'm in the evening program, so I know you full-timers will have more books to purchase but it still looks like you can get a really good deal on Amazon if you're willing to buy used and you sign up for a membership.

Rising 2L's--Do we have to buy books 2nd semester? I know some, if not all, of the courses are a year long...

Also, do we have to buy a book for our writing class?

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:50 pm

tinyone wrote:
cafloyd12 wrote:I just bought my books from Amazon for around $300. I bought used...but I only bought from the Amazon backed "prime" third parties and got free second day delivery with the student membership. I'm in the evening program, so I know you full-timers will have more books to purchase but it still looks like you can get a really good deal on Amazon if you're willing to buy used and you sign up for a membership.

Rising 2L's--Do we have to buy books 2nd semester? I know some, if not all, of the courses are a year long...

I was wondering that too. Sweet deal if we only have to buy the Con Law books.

NN4

New

Post by NN4 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:52 pm

under the 'view textbooks' option, my writing class had 6 books listed.

gman33

New

Post by gman33 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:07 pm

lsathelp wrote:Hey guys!

So awhile back SMU was my first choice and as some of you may know i was deeply depressed when i got rejected. Well after a couple months i was curious today and went on their website and checked my status (i just had this strange feeling to check it) and to my surprise i saw the words "Waitlisted". So i called to make sure and the girl was just as confused as me, she said they were supposed to send a new letter out to me. I have already committed to Case Western and i did not send any LOCI and Im guessing its way too late now.
I was in a similary situation a few weeks ago. I suggest sending in one or two LOCIs. It will definitely not hurt you to do so. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:34 pm

NN4 wrote:under the 'view textbooks' option, my writing class had 6 books listed.
Mine says, "Sorry, but we're having trouble displaying the book information for this course. Please contact the bookstore for assistance."

I think it's a blatant ploy to make me buy the books from them!

:shock:

DavidB

Bronze

Post by DavidB » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:35 pm

NN4 wrote:under the 'view textbooks' option, my writing class had 6 books listed.
I get an error when trying to view the textbooks for LRWA 712:

FALL 2010 › LAW › 8375 › 712

Where's my book information?

Sorry, but we're having trouble displaying the book information for this course. Please contact the bookstore for assistance.

Edit: Iconoclast posted more quickly than I did!

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:49 pm

tinyone wrote:

A SMU 2L noted that the books we buy now for every class, except Crim Law, will be able to be utilized in the Spring semester for their corresponding Part II courses. The only books we will need for 2nd semester are for Con Law.

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:12 pm

DavidB wrote: Edit: Iconoclast posted more quickly than I did!
Quick like bunny! That's what my wife says... errr... wait, what??! :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:27 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
DavidB wrote: Edit: Iconoclast posted more quickly than I did!
Quick like bunny! That's what my wife says... errr... wait, what??! :shock:
LOL

cafloyd12

New

Post by cafloyd12 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:29 am

What section Legal Writing do you have? I'm one of the ones who's legal writing books are not showing up.

NN4

New

Post by NN4 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:13 am

cafloyd12 wrote:
What section Legal Writing do you have? I'm one of the ones who's legal writing books are not showing up.

I'm in section 001. At the bookstore it looked like they had 1 large section of shelves set aside for all of the legal writing sections. It appeared they were using the same books, but they only had the blue book in when I was there and I didn't look at the tags too closely. You could call the bookstore directly and verify the books for your section. For mine, most of the books are new editions, recently publlished. Used didn't look like much of an option for most of the books for that class and some of the estimated ship dates/availability on amazon, even using prime, were a month because they were listed as 'out of stock'. Those were the books I went ahead and just ordered directly from the bookstore for pickup.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:39 am

cafloyd12 wrote:
They way I understand the LW book situation is that LW sections 1 through 4 have identical books, and LW sections 5 through 8 have identical books. That makes sense because Section 1 people are divided among LW sections 1 through 4 and Section 2 people are divided among LW sections 5 through 8. I'm not sure whether all LW sections have identical books though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HB2014

New

Post by HB2014 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:41 pm

Does anyone know when we find out more information about the orientation schedule? All I know is that orientation starts on the 16th for part-timers and the 17th for full-time students. Also, (and at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot) are we going to be taught how to brief a case and prepare outlines for class and such?

cafloyd12

New

Post by cafloyd12 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:03 pm

Given the info that betasteve has given concerning the LRW books, could anyone who's "view textbooks" is showing all of the books required for the class post the ISBN's?

DavidB

Bronze

Post by DavidB » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:10 pm

cafloyd12 wrote:Given the info that betasteve has given concerning the LRW books, could anyone who's "view textbooks" is showing all of the books required for the class post the ISBN's?
I just replaced the section number in my URL with 001 and got these results:

Long ugly URL (LinkRemoved)

TTYL
David

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:23 pm

HB2014 wrote:are we going to be taught how to brief a case and prepare outlines for class and such?
I highly recommend Learning Legal Reasoning by Delaney (it assumes you don't know much at all, and goes from there) and Getting To Maybe (for exams).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Got my parking permit. The wheels are turnin'.

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:45 pm

chrisokc wrote:Got my parking permit. The wheels are turnin'.
When did you order it?

iahurricane

New

Post by iahurricane » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:50 pm

tinyone wrote:Section 2. Any rising 2L's care to give some feedback on the 1L Profs? It'd be much appreciated!

I have:
Ryan-Torts
Dorseano-Civ Pro
Palacios-Crim Law
Gaba-Property
Anderson-Contracts

Thanks!
Anyone interested in buying Dorsaneo's book for a cheaper price than the bookstore or any internet site PM me.

iahurricane

New

Post by iahurricane » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:53 pm

chrisokc wrote:
mbusch22 wrote:We've been awful (mostly 1-11) in the recent past but last year we were i think 8-5 and won our first bowl game since 1984. New Coach June Jones is doing wonders. Definitely a program to watch grow. Exciting for me as I waited 4 years of undergrad for this to start happening. Our basketball team isn't much to get excited about.
Do they accept law students as walk-ons?
You have 5 years from the day you step foot on campus as an undergrad to use 4 years of eligibility. If you didn't play football as an undergrad and you came straight from undergrad to law school, then you have one year of eligibility left. Walk-on tryouts are probably going on right now (if they're not over already). What position do you play?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:54 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
chrisokc wrote:Got my parking permit. The wheels are turnin'.
When did you order it?
Last Friday or Saturday.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:59 pm

iahurricane wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
mbusch22 wrote:We've been awful (mostly 1-11) in the recent past but last year we were i think 8-5 and won our first bowl game since 1984. New Coach June Jones is doing wonders. Definitely a program to watch grow. Exciting for me as I waited 4 years of undergrad for this to start happening. Our basketball team isn't much to get excited about.
Do they accept law students as walk-ons?
You have 5 years from the day you step foot on campus as an undergrad to use 4 years of eligibility. If you didn't play football as an undergrad and you came straight from undergrad to law school, then you have one year of eligibility left. Walk-on tryouts are probably going on right now (if they're not over already). What position do you play?
I was just joking around man.

iahurricane

New

Post by iahurricane » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:10 pm

HB2014 wrote:Does anyone know when we find out more information about the orientation schedule? All I know is that orientation starts on the 16th for part-timers and the 17th for full-time students. Also, (and at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot) are we going to be taught how to brief a case and prepare outlines for class and such?
Dont worry too much about orientation. Its just a bunch of welcome speeches, free meals, and a chance to make friends with your classmates.

And yes you do learn how to brief a case (whether you actually use this during class is another thing)

texasforever

New

Post by texasforever » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:07 pm

I got Dorsaneo's 5th ed case book for civ pro on amazon for 16 dollars, never been used.. this seemed odd considering all the other casebooks were at least $150 new..

Also, are people still waiting on their grad plus loans to be approved? It's getting to crunch time and I still have no 'loan details' next to the gradplus loan. I have called the financial aid office (including today) a total of 29 times over the summer now and have never once spoken to a human being nor gotten a call back. Evidently there is ONE SINGLE PERSON who is in charge of financial aid for the entire university. Considering the cost, what the hell are they thinking? Hire some more people.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”