SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
justsmu10

New

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by justsmu10 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:24 pm

jgrin wrote:After a busy day yesterday, this thread has died
Indeed. It looks like it will be tomorrow or Thursday before more people start seeing "Decision Rendered." If, in fact, it happens at all this week....

fixer

New

Post by fixer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:33 pm

So none of the FT that went DR yesterday received phone calls today? Is this a good sign or a bad sign? I am thinking it is bad.

I hate this. Especially since it is such a long shot.

ChonWayne

New

Post by ChonWayne » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:49 pm

fixer wrote:So none of the FT that went DR yesterday received phone calls today? Is this a good sign or a bad sign? I am thinking it is bad.

Not sure what to make of it.

Here is my story, take it as you will, I hope you get the call though:

4/12: status checker displayed DR with timestamp as 4/13. I was excited.
4/13-4/14: no rejection email as I was under the impression rejections came via email immediately. Excitement/hope continued.
4/15: no phone call. I was confused since other admitted students received the call 1-2 days after DR.
4/17: I was kicked in the groin as I found a tiny envelope in the mail.

I posted my stats in previous post. I didn't mention that I received both my BS and MS degrees from SMU. Pretty sure this hindered me but I may never know the exact reason. It makes my decision to go to Houston a lot easier though and I think the change in universities will be good for me. I'm done on this thread. Good luck future ponies - enjoy the winning football team since they were pretty awful when I attended haha.

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:54 pm

ChonWayne wrote:
fixer wrote:So none of the FT that went DR yesterday received phone calls today? Is this a good sign or a bad sign? I am thinking it is bad.

Not sure what to make of it.

Here is my story, take it as you will, I hope you get the call though:

4/12: status checker displayed DR with timestamp as 4/13. I was excited.
4/13-4/14: no rejection email as I was under the impression rejections came via email immediately. Excitement/hope continued.
4/15: no phone call. I was confused since other admitted students received the call 1-2 days after DR.
4/17: I was kicked in the groin as I found a tiny envelope in the mail.

I posted my stats in previous post. I didn't mention that I received both my BS and MS degrees from SMU. Pretty sure this hindered me but I may never know the exact reason. It makes my decision to go to Houston a lot easier though and I think the change in universities will be good for me. I'm done on this thread. Good luck future ponies - enjoy the winning football team since they were pretty awful when I attended haha.
Sorry to hear about the ding :( Good luck at Houston!

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:59 pm

My app hasn't been touched since it went complete on 2/16. I am not sure what to make of this. Anybody have any insights?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:26 pm

jgrin wrote:My app hasn't been touched since it went complete on 2/16. I am not sure what to make of this. Anybody have any insights?
They haven't made decisions on FT yet- they are in the process of doing so. I'm still stuck at complete on 2/3, and I know others are still stuck at "held for further review" from early decision applicants.

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:15 pm

da87 wrote:
jgrin wrote:My app hasn't been touched since it went complete on 2/16. I am not sure what to make of this. Anybody have any insights?
They haven't made decisions on FT yet- they are in the process of doing so. I'm still stuck at complete on 2/3, and I know others are still stuck at "held for further review" from early decision applicants.
Only problem is that I am FT/PT.

helpmerhonda

New

Post by helpmerhonda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:27 pm

OK, so I just spoke to a girl in the admissions office and she told me that yesterday they admitted some PT but only sent out FT denials. That leaves me believing that since I am FT and got the DR on 4/19 that I am going to get a denial. She said that no wait lists were sent yesterday. Don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I am freaking out about this news and wanted to share it, albeit bad news. Sorry for everyone else in my shoes. I am still praying that she was confused about it. But I had asked if everyone was getting calls who were admitted FT and she said nobody was admitted FT yesterday, only PT, and some people got calls, and others should be expecting denials.
-signing off and jumping off a bridge-

helpmerhonda

New

Post by helpmerhonda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Also, I know you are going to ask my stats, so they are:

LSAT 158
GPA 3.2

I probably shouldn't even have applied, but my whole life I wanted to attend SMU Dedman Law as I love the campus and Dallas, now I have to go to Kansas, sh-t!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:43 pm

helpmerhonda wrote:OK, so I just spoke to a girl in the admissions office and she told me that yesterday they admitted some PT but only sent out FT denials. That leaves me believing that since I am FT and got the DR on 4/19 that I am going to get a denial. She said that no wait lists were sent yesterday. Don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I am freaking out about this news and wanted to share it, albeit bad news. Sorry for everyone else in my shoes. I am still praying that she was confused about it. But I had asked if everyone was getting calls who were admitted FT and she said nobody was admitted FT yesterday, only PT, and some people got calls, and others should be expecting denials.
Wonder how many more people they are going to let in?

I would say that our prospect don't look pretty...

PTer

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:44 pm

helpmerhonda wrote:Also, I know you are going to ask my stats, so they are:

LSAT 158
GPA 3.2

I probably shouldn't even have applied, but my whole life I wanted to attend SMU Dedman Law as I love the campus and Dallas, now I have to go to Kansas, sh-t!
Sorry to hear that. :( Do you mind sharing when you went complete?

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:49 pm

jgrin wrote:
da87 wrote:
Only problem is that I am FT/PT.
same here

fixer

New

Post by fixer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:50 pm

helpmerhonda wrote:OK, so I just spoke to a girl in the admissions office and she told me that yesterday they admitted some PT but only sent out FT denials. That leaves me believing that since I am FT and got the DR on 4/19 that I am going to get a denial. She said that no wait lists were sent yesterday. Don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I am freaking out about this news and wanted to share it, albeit bad news. Sorry for everyone else in my shoes. I am still praying that she was confused about it. But I had asked if everyone was getting calls who were admitted FT and she said nobody was admitted FT yesterday, only PT, and some people got calls, and others should be expecting denials.
Well, that blows. Oh well, TTTT here I come. Have fun Mustangs. Perhaps I'll meet some of you as a transfer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

helpmerhonda

New

Post by helpmerhonda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:04 pm

I went complete 1/22, so it was nearly 3 months I was waiting.

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:28 pm

How many people do ya'll think have sent in seat deposits?

helpmerhonda

New

Post by helpmerhonda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:37 pm

did you go DR yet?

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:48 pm

helpmerhonda wrote:did you go DR yet?
Nope

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:51 pm

Wonder what is going to happen tomorrow...

helpmerhonda

New

Post by helpmerhonda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:01 pm

they shouldn't be allowed to give out that kind of details over the phone, so maybe its not true

fixer

New

Post by fixer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:36 pm

helpmerhonda wrote:they shouldn't be allowed to give out that kind of details over the phone, so maybe its not true
I wondered the same but it seems like I remember posts from last years cycle mentioning the release of similar information over the phone.

helpmerhonda

New

Post by helpmerhonda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:38 pm

well I hope its not true because I really want to go to SMU and maybe the girl didnt explain it correctly but I know what I heard, and it was distressing to hear that only PT people got admitted while FT got denied and no WL from that day's DR, so we'll have to see if she was telling it like it is, or hopefully not!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:39 pm

helpmerhonda wrote:Also, I know you are going to ask my stats, so they are:

LSAT 158
GPA 3.2

Do you have to start in the fall, or could you possibly work for a year and apply next cycle? If you don't really want to go to Kansas, retaking the LSAT and reapplying might be a good idea. Sorry to hear about the possible rejection.

helpmerhonda

New

Post by helpmerhonda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:02 pm

I could never take the LSAT again, I will go to Kansas if the SMU news is bad, but thanks for the sympathy and advice. I'm just going to plow through this next 3 years and hopefully I'll get into where I'm going and make the best of it, I have to. I'll see what comes in the mail, and go from there!

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:12 pm

If SMU dings me they will be missing out.

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:16 pm

jgrin wrote:If SMU dings me they will be missing out.
Not on humility.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”