SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bcb1986

New

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by bcb1986 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:52 pm

tinyone wrote:Any 2L have a recommendation on which Black's Law Dictionary to buy? The deluxe 9th ed. is $121.77 on Amazon but the pocket and abridged versions are significantly cheaper. Is it worth the extra money to buy the deluxe ed?
Black's is built in to Westlaw. You'll get a WL account/password at orientation.

wellington

Bronze

Post by wellington » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:00 pm

callingsarah wrote:To those of you who got your funds-- did your disburement page say something about a check, or use the nickname you'd given your account? I had set up for direct deposit but it says check next to my disbursement stuff...
It used the nickname, but under description it was called "SMU Student Financial Refund Check." It was definitely a direct deposit, though.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:04 pm

callingsarah wrote:To those of you who got your funds-- did your disburement page say something about a check, or use the nickname you'd given your account? I had set up for direct deposit but it says check next to my disbursement stuff...
Mine isn't using the nickname and does say "check". I'm supposed to be direct deposit.

tinyone

Bronze

Post by tinyone » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:19 pm

chrisokc wrote:
Mine isn't using the nickname and does say "check". I'm supposed to be direct deposit.
+1

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:23 pm

Bah.. mine is still blank. Shows up in the "unbilled activity" and nowhere else.

I guess they'll get around to it eventually.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Texasboundanddown

Bronze

Post by Texasboundanddown » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:36 pm

Uhhh I just got an email saying I need to do loan counseling. But I when I log in I can see my last recorded session which was sent to the school...do it over again or just chalk it up to a redundant email? I might just do it again I guess.

utcris410

Bronze

Post by utcris410 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Hi all! I haven't been on here in awhile. If anyone is still looking for housing, I have an apartment available. I'm moving to Boston for school next week. The girl who was going to move-in backed out yesterday. I have a few months left on my lease but my apartment complex will let me out of it if I find someone to lease my apartment. The rent would stay the same ($765) and would require a 6-13 month lease. It's your choice as to how many months you'd like to lease for. There is no deposit required right now. The building is the Dallas Power & Lights (DP&L) building downtown between Jackson and Commerce Streets.

I have lived in this apartment for 3 years and I would have stayed another 3 years if I had chosen SMU. It's a great apartment! Cats and dogs are okay.

If you know of anyone who is interested, please contact me. If there's another thread where I should post this, please let me know. Thanks! :)

Here is a link to the floorplan: --LinkRemoved--
You can click on the floorplan to enlarge.

-1,199 square feet
-10th floor (elevator access)
-has a doggie area right outside the front door
-FOB access
-parking in gated garage (included in rent)
-concrete floors
-you can choose your electric, cable and internet companies
-W&D hookups (if you lease the apartment, you can have m W&D)
-the large room to the left of the bathroom is the huge closet
-patio overlooking the pool/restaurant area
-small gym on premise
-new appliances
-monthly resident functions

Move-in date can be as soon as Monday 8/16.

222 Browder
Dallas, TX

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:40 pm

I called about the "check" part of the refund. Mine says "Financial Refund Check 1107". I was told that's impossible since I've never gotten a refund before, so I can't have a check number.

:?:

It's right there on the website.

They are very snippy and kind of rude.

ClemTiger

New

Post by ClemTiger » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:42 pm

I may be a little tight first semester due in part because I didn't take near the full amount of aid I was offered. Does anyone know if we are able to increase the amount of aid we receive for second semester? Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:49 pm

kalvano wrote:I called about the "check" part of the refund. Mine says "Financial Refund Check 1107". I was told that's impossible since I've never gotten a refund before, so I can't have a check number.

Mine's 1107 too. Maybe 1107 means direct deposit? They couldn't be sending us both the same check number.

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:52 pm

chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:I called about the "check" part of the refund. Mine says "Financial Refund Check 1107". I was told that's impossible since I've never gotten a refund before, so I can't have a check number.

Mine's 1107 too. Maybe 1107 means direct deposit? They couldn't be sending us both the same check number.
It probably means the date it will finally find its way into your bank account. You don't need any money before the second week in November, do you?

:P

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:02 pm

chrisokc wrote:

They confirmed I am set up for direct deposit.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Also, if anyone is interested, somehow I ended up with two copies of the torts E&E. It's the 3rd edition, so it's the older one, but it should be moderately sufficient.

First one to claim it can have it at orientation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:11 pm

kalvano wrote:Also, if anyone is interested, somehow I ended up with two copies of the torts E&E. It's the 3rd edition, so it's the older one, but it should be moderately sufficient.

I have a fifth edition Civ Pro up for grabs too.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:17 pm

kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:

They confirmed I am set up for direct deposit.
Kal, to clarify, your nickname, account, and method fields are blank? I'm trying to avoid calling that office again.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:21 pm

chrisokc wrote:Kal, to clarify, your nickname, account, and method fields are blank? I'm trying to avoid calling that office again.
Exactly what mine looks like -

Texasboundanddown

Bronze

Post by Texasboundanddown » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:22 pm

kalvano wrote:Also, if anyone is interested, somehow I ended up with two copies of the torts E&E. It's the 3rd edition, so it's the older one, but it should be moderately sufficient.

Yo I'll take it. Lemme know in pms.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:24 pm

kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:Kal, to clarify, your nickname, account, and method fields are blank? I'm trying to avoid calling that office again.

Good - that's exactly what mine looks like.

wellington

Bronze

Post by wellington » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:40 pm

That's really weird that it looks like that.

You guys set up profiles for a direct deposit, right? I'm so excited our school is treating some of you in such a way before class even starts. I had always heard fin aid was terrible. Undoubtedly confirmed.

tinyone

Bronze

Post by tinyone » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:47 pm

chrisokc wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Good - that's exactly what mine looks like.
+1 I also just got an e-mail from SMU saying that my aid had been disbursed and I would receive it in my bank account within 48 business hours...I'm hoping they don't mean office hours, b/c that's 6 days.
Last edited by tinyone on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinyone

Bronze

Post by tinyone » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:47 pm

ClemTiger wrote:I may be a little tight first semester due in part because I didn't take near the full amount of aid I was offered. Does anyone know if we are able to increase the amount of aid we receive for second semester? Thank you!
I'd also like to know this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:13 pm

tinyone wrote:+1 I also just got an e-mail from SMU saying that my aid had been disbursed and I would receive it in my bank account within 48 business hours...I'm hoping they don't mean office hours, b/c that's 6 days.
I was wondering this too. So if its two business days, does that mean it could be until Tuesday night before I get my refund? That's a little frightening.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:20 am

fathergoose wrote:
tinyone wrote:+1 I also just got an e-mail from SMU saying that my aid had been disbursed and I would receive it in my bank account within 48 business hours...I'm hoping they don't mean office hours, b/c that's 6 days.
I was wondering this too. So if its two business days, does that mean it could be until Tuesday night before I get my refund? That's a little frightening.
Mine didn't go through today. It says it's completed on the SMU web page, but since it's the weekend, it will probably be Monday or Tuesday.

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:30 am

Woohoo I'm rich! Now I can finally buy books!

-Glyn-

New

Post by -Glyn- » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:27 am

Received my direct deposit yesterday - time to pull the trigger on a new laptop I'll be making payments on over the next 25 years!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”