SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
da87

Bronze

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by da87 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:52 am

fathergoose wrote:Yup I was the one who said that. They mentioned it at the first ASD.

Just hang tight and you'll find out soon enough.
O ok, gotcha, thanks!

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:52 am

UTL_plz wrote:I think they said they have handed acceptances to 10% of all applications received thus far.
Yes, thats what I meant. They plan on accepting 25% or so of applicants and they have only accepted 10% thus far.

texag08

New

Post by texag08 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:54 am

Father goose what are your numbers and are you FT or PT?

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:56 am

texag08 wrote:Father goose what are your numbers and are you FT or PT?
Full Time and my numbers are splitter-tastic

DavidB

Bronze

Post by DavidB » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:56 am

UTL_plz wrote:I think they said they have handed acceptances to 10% of all applications received thus far.
In past years SMU receives approximately 2500 applications, admits around 600, and has around 300 actually enroll.

I wonder how many spots are left after having admitted 10% of early applicants.

Did this year have an unusually large number of applicants, as many speculate?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Not-A-Teabagger

New

Post by Not-A-Teabagger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:58 am

DavidB wrote:
In past years SMU receives approximately 2500 applications, admits around 600, and has around 300 actually enroll.

I wonder how many spots are left after having admitted 10% of early applicants.

Did this year have an unusually large number of applicants, as many speculate?
If the above info is correct, then 10%-15%.

texag08

New

Post by texag08 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:36 pm

Does anyone know how many apps they received this year compared to years past?

The recession may have bumped the number of apps up but the recession has been in full stride for over 2 years now.

UTL_plz

Bronze

Post by UTL_plz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:48 pm

id expect they increased by 10-20%

texag08

New

Post by texag08 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:31 pm

So anyone get a status change today?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wellington

Bronze

Post by wellington » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:46 pm

texag08 wrote:Does anyone know how many apps they received this year compared to years past?

The recession may have bumped the number of apps up but the recession has been in full stride for over 2 years now.
Last year was supposedly the year of the big jump in applications. Plus the medians jumped considerably (more "qualified" applicant pool). I doubt this year will be any different.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:12 pm

Everyone that's set on SMU should sign in to the SMU Class of 2013 thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=114755.

ladysixmonkey

New

Post by ladysixmonkey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Perhaps it is taking them so long because they have to process the financial aid information for the second set of apps. I imagine they would want to include that info with scholarship offers. Calculating student loans in and of itself would require considerable time.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:24 pm

ladysixmonkey wrote:Perhaps it is taking them so long because they have to process the financial aid information for the second set of apps. I imagine they would want to include that info with scholarship offers. Calculating student loans in and of itself would require considerable time.
From what they said at the ASD, we all still have a bit of a wait before our financial aid is ready. I'll bet there are more acceptances before any financial aid information is available.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ladysixmonkey

New

Post by ladysixmonkey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:21 pm

chrisokc wrote:
ladysixmonkey wrote:Perhaps it is taking them so long because they have to process the financial aid information for the second set of apps. I imagine they would want to include that info with scholarship offers. Calculating student loans in and of itself would require considerable time.
From what they said at the ASD, we all still have a bit of a wait before our financial aid is ready. I'll bet there are more acceptances before any financial aid information is available.
Ah, thank you for that info, Chris.

Meant to say "calculating the loan eligibility" in my previous post.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:18 pm

ladysixmonkey wrote:
chrisokc wrote:

Gotcha - and to clarify my statement, I don't believe they will provide us with any information about financial aid until at least the end of May. However, once you know about your scholarship, you can generally approximate the makeup of your financial aid package.

ladysixmonkey

New

Post by ladysixmonkey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 pm

chrisokc wrote:
ladysixmonkey wrote:
chrisokc wrote:

Gotcha - and to clarify my statement, I don't believe they will provide us with any information about financial aid until at least the end of May. However, once you know about your scholarship, you can generally approximate the makeup of your financial aid package.
Yeah, I've calculated that already. :) I'm just considering the administrative process they are going through right now. I imagine the volume of applicants and people begging for post app deadline admission is a mess, too.

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:09 pm

So help me out here.

PT tuition looks to be about 30k a year. I have 5k in scholarship money. 25k a year for tuition.

I've heard 8500 in subsidized, 8500 in unsubsidized, and then the rest in grad plus. So I'll need 8k in grad plus and then COL help. You can take out as much grad plus as you need (in a reasonable manner)? Say I'll need another 15k in COL expenses. That's

8500 in sub
8500 in unsub
23000 in grad plus

That'll be 40k for 25k in tuition/fees and 15 in COL help.

Is that right? I have some cash already, but I'm trying to break it down in an easier manner.

What will SMU send me? Will they estimate COL help? How does that work?

Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:31 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:So help me out here.

PT tuition looks to be about 30k a year. I have 5k in scholarship money. 25k a year for tuition.

I've heard 8500 in subsidized, 8500 in unsubsidized, and then the rest in grad plus. So I'll need 8k in grad plus and then COL help. You can take out as much grad plus as you need (in a reasonable manner)? Say I'll need another 15k in COL expenses. That's

8500 in sub
8500 in unsub
23000 in grad plus

That'll be 40k for 25k in tuition/fees and 15 in COL help.

Is that right? I have some cash already, but I'm trying to break it down in an easier manner.

What will SMU send me? Will they estimate COL help? How does that work?

Thanks.
Unless it's different for PT, you get $12k unsub., $8.5k sub. Total of $20.5k in Staffords. Then, you can borrow up to the total cost of attendance (tuition, fees, etc. + living expenses). So, take the school-provided grand total COA - scholly - sub Stafford - unsub Stafford = Grad PLUS you can apply for. The Grad PLUS fills in the gap.

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:39 pm

ClemTiger wrote:
da87 wrote:Does anyone know the new median lsat and gpa numbers for SMU that came out with yesterday's 2011 rankings? Is that even included with those rankings?
GPA 3.24-3.84
LSAT 155-165

http://brightcoast.files.wordpress.com/ ... 483c_o.png
I don't know if anyone cares, but I thought I would add a clarification on the numbers that were leaked. The numbers quoted above are the combined numbers and include both full and part time.

The full time only numbers are:
LSAT: 158 - 165
GPA: 3.3 - 3.87

The part time only numbers are:
LSAT: 153 - 160
GPA: 3.17 - 3.76

I believe that beginning next year they will no longer mix the part time and full time numbers together when calculating the school's GPA/LSAT bands... part time and full time programs will stand on their own.

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:51 pm

Sangiovese wrote:
ClemTiger wrote:
da87 wrote:Does anyone know the new median lsat and gpa numbers for SMU that came out with yesterday's 2011 rankings? Is that even included with those rankings?
GPA 3.24-3.84
LSAT 155-165

http://brightcoast.files.wordpress.com/ ... 483c_o.png
I don't know if anyone cares, but I thought I would add a clarification on the numbers that were leaked. The numbers quoted above are the combined numbers and include both full and part time.

The full time only numbers are:
LSAT: 158 - 165
GPA: 3.3 - 3.87

The part time only numbers are:
LSAT: 153 - 160
GPA: 3.17 - 3.76

I believe that beginning next year they will no longer mix the part time and full time numbers together when calculating the school's GPA/LSAT bands... part time and full time programs will stand on their own.
Who knows, SMU Law may see an even higher rank next year in the 2012 USNEWS Rankings. It can only help imo.

Sangiovese

Bronze

Post by Sangiovese » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:58 pm

maxpayne wrote:Who knows, SMU Law may see an even higher rank next year in the 2012 USNEWS Rankings. It can only help imo.
I think it will help all the schools that have part time programs. It seems that the part time students typically have lower academic scores (lsat/gpa) but have more work/world experience. Of course, experience/perspective doesn't show up in the usnwr rankings, so schools take a hit for admitting the non-traditional applicants who generally populate the part time programs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:31 pm

Sangiovese wrote:
maxpayne wrote:Who knows, SMU Law may see an even higher rank next year in the 2012 USNEWS Rankings. It can only help imo.
I think it will help all the schools that have part time programs. It seems that the part time students typically have lower academic scores (lsat/gpa) but have more work/world experience. Of course, experience/perspective doesn't show up in the usnwr rankings, so schools take a hit for admitting the non-traditional applicants who generally populate the part time programs.

I definitely agree. It is a win-win, for the part-time program and the full-time program.

ladysixmonkey

New

Post by ladysixmonkey » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:45 am

maxpayne wrote:
Sangiovese wrote:

I definitely agree. It is a win-win, for the part-time program and the full-time program.
The numbers are important, but I don't know about the impact on the actual classes. It could be, but... Not to be ranty here--It seems like nontrads in the pt program could go either way, depending on the dynamics of the specific class. Sometimes, more work/ life experience = more "I'm right/superior/important all the time" or "you're young and don't know anything but I do because I'm older" condescending or destructive behaviors or "books and ideas don't mean much; it's so-called 'real world' experience that's important." While I appreciate and respect where they are coming from, those viewpoints can be destructive in a classroom setting. Sometimes, more personal, familial investments = more excuses and arguing or trying to bully the teachers, especially in front of the class, to get better grades. They might look good on paper, but the personalities and habits that helped them obtain success outside of school can def get in the way at times in a formal or bureaucratic setting. Sometimes nts are desperate as they feel that this is their last big chance. Desperation makes people do awful things, behave in terrible ways, and they make poor decisions. I get that my anecdotal experiences with this probably don't mean much, but I have seen and heard this desperation, especially after the economic downturn.

But then again, sometimes the nts are amazingly insightful, offering nuanced perspectives and analysis, in addition to offering a collegial atmosphere in discussions, study groups and debates. At times, nts are fearless (more so than those fresh out of undergrad), interested, and intensely motivated. Some have a clear sense of direction (beyond the potential paycheck), sense of self-motivation, the know-how to get things done well and are highly motivating to others because they are competitive yet collegial. Each group of students can be so different from the next, even with the same or similar demographics; it really just depends on the class. I'm not trying to sound condescending...Since none of this goes into the rankings, it's difficult to get a sense of how the adcom assesses the nts to find out which ones are amazing in person, as well as on paper. I'm just ready to roll, though, no matter how it shakes out. 8) Still keeping the fingers crossed.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:15 am

9:14 am. Thank God its raining in Texas (can put the Claritin away for a day). Let the anxious waiting begin. Ring, phone ... RING.

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:09 am

FunkyJD wrote:9:14 am. Thank God its raining in Texas (can put the Claritin away for a day). Let the anxious waiting begin. Ring, phone ... RING.
Did your app go "decision rendered"?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”