SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
texag08

New

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by texag08 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:07 pm

Anyone who followed last years thread; was there a slew of acceptances made at the end of april??

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:12 pm

texag08 wrote:Anyone who followed last years thread; was there a slew of acceptances made at the end of april??
Looks like it, it is only 4/12.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:13 pm

texag08 wrote:Anyone who followed last years thread; was there a slew of acceptances made at the end of april??
I was admitted to the PT program on 4/20, and remember that a few other people also received good news on or around that date.

texag08

New

Post by texag08 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:15 pm

What were your numbers 13? That is of course if you dont mind me asking.

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:53 pm

Does anyone know if they are receiving a high volume of seat deposits back, or talked to admissions about this at all?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

matchesmalone

New

Post by matchesmalone » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:08 pm

I was one of the 4/7 DRs. Just got the letter in the mail today. Ding...sigh. Good luck to the rest of you.

justsmu10

New

Post by justsmu10 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:53 pm

matchesmalone wrote:I was one of the 4/7 DRs. Just got the letter in the mail today. Ding...sigh. Good luck to the rest of you.
I hate to hear that. If you don't mind me asking, were you waitlisted or just rejected? Best wishes for your future....

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:03 pm

texag08 wrote:What were your numbers 13? That is of course if you dont mind me asking.
169 LSAT, GPA below 2.5

I applied earlier in the cycle this year, and modified the PS and DS I sent last year. Also, I completely rewrote the Why SMU essay.

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:16 pm

matchesmalone wrote:I was one of the 4/7 DRs. Just got the letter in the mail today. Ding...sigh. Good luck to the rest of you.
So sorry, matchesmalone. When did you go complete? Good luck with the rest of your cycle!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

matchesmalone

New

Post by matchesmalone » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:21 pm

justsmu10 wrote:
I hate to hear that. If you don't mind me asking, were you waitlisted or just rejected? Best wishes for your future....
Rejected, unfortunately.
da87 wrote:
So sorry, matchesmalone. When did you go complete? Good luck with the rest of your cycle!
I went complete on 2/15.

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Does anyone think they will send any acceptances out this week?

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:44 pm

da87 wrote:Does anyone think they will send any acceptances out this week?
If their deposit deadline is April 15, I'm not sure what their incentive would be. They could wait and see who deposited, and then be in a better position to judge what they need in terms of their numbers, diversity, etc. I'm not sure if they can figure all of that out by Friday night, the 16th. Maybe they can.

I'm going to go ahead and deposit elsewhere, and treat SMU as if I were waitlisted there. When my decision comes, if I get rejected, then I'll have my plans already in place. If I get WL'd, then I'll treat that as a rejection; as barring the unforeseen, the only WL's I'm riding this cycle are Virginia and Texas. And if I get accepted, then I'll see if I was offered any money, and then I'll judge whether it make sense to attend.

Bottom line is, if they really liked me, I'd be in by now. Harsh, but those are the facts.

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:47 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
If their deposit deadline is April 15, I'm not sure what their incentive would be. They could wait and see who deposited, and then be in a better position to judge what they need in terms of their numbers, diversity, etc. I'm not sure if they can figure all of that out by Friday night, the 16th. Maybe they can.

I'm going to go ahead and deposit elsewhere, and treat SMU as if I were waitlisted there. When my decision comes, if I get rejected, then I'll have my plans already in place. If I get WL'd, then I'll treat that as a rejection; as barring the unforeseen, the only WL's I'm riding this cycle are Virginia and Texas. And if I get accepted, then I'll see if I was offered any money, and then I'll judge whether it make sense to attend.

Bottom line is, if they really liked me, I'd be in by now. Harsh, but those are the facts.
The deposit deadline was April 1.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:19 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

Yea that's what I thought. They sent out a batch of rejections (as far as we know) last week, so maybe a batch of acceptances this week? This is just wishful thinking on my part. The only thing that kind of confuses me is that some of the complete dates of the rejections last week were later than a lot of complete dates of people still waiting to hear back. Could this possibly mean anything?...I think I might be overanalyzing

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:28 pm

FunkyJD wrote:[strike]If their deposit deadline is April 15, I'm not sure what their incentive would be. They could wait and see who deposited, and then be in a better position to judge what they need in terms of their numbers, diversity, etc. I'm not sure if they can figure all of that out by Friday night, the 16th. Maybe they can.[/strike]

I'm going to go ahead and deposit elsewhere, and [strike]treat SMU as if I were waitlisted there. When my decision comes, if I get rejected, then I'll have my plans already in place. If I get WL'd, then I'll treat that as a rejection; as barring the unforeseen, the only WL's I'm riding this cycle are Virginia and Texas. And if I get accepted, then I'll see if I was offered any money, and then I'll judge whether it make sense to attend.[/strike] pray to God that I get in, because I'd still really like to have SMU as an option.

Bottom line is, if they really liked me, I'd be in by now. Harsh, but those are the facts. ... but we'll keep hope alive.
Synopsis: Given the corrected information, Funky JD's SMU Watch remains in effect.

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:51 pm

da87 wrote:
mcflooter06 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

Yea that's what I thought. They sent out a batch of rejections (as far as we know) last week, so maybe a batch of acceptances this week? This is just wishful thinking on my part. The only thing that kind of confuses me is that some of the complete dates of the rejections last week were later than a lot of complete dates of people still waiting to hear back. Could this possibly mean anything?...I think I might be overanalyzing
Any takers on this?

clairecate

New

Post by clairecate » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:59 pm

My complete date was 2/9 and I've heard absolutely nothing. At least one person (matchesmalone) who heard back last week was later than me (2/15, I believe). The suspense is killing me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:06 pm

clairecate wrote:My complete date was 2/9 and I've heard absolutely nothing. At least one person (matchesmalone) who heard back last week was later than me (2/15, I believe). The suspense is killing me.
Yea mine was 2/3, and I think there were a few complete dates that were later. That's why I'm wondering what's going in inside the admissions office. Do they not review files based on completion dates?

FB567

New

Post by FB567 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:08 pm

My complete date was 1/20. I'm getting tired of waiting =/ SMU is the last school I need to hear from in my cycle.

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:10 pm

clairecate wrote:My complete date was 2/9 and I've heard absolutely nothing. At least one person (matchesmalone) who heard back last week was later than me (2/15, I believe). The suspense is killing me.
I think this is a good thing. I am assuming they have seen your application and mine as well, and have chosen not reject us. I don't know if this means we will get in, but I think it must mean that they saw something they liked and chose not to ding us with the last batch.

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:13 pm

jgrin wrote:
I think this is a good thing. I am assuming they have seen your application and mine as well, and have chosen not reject us. I don't know if this means we will get in, but I think it must mean that they saw something they liked and chose not to ding us with the last batch.
That's what I was thinking/hoping

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

atfarmer

New

Post by atfarmer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:14 pm

I called today and asked where they were in their review process (since I've got a few deposit deadlines on 4/15). She told me that they've sent out a few rejections, but that the rest of their acceptances will be coming at the end of April. From the things she said to me, not having an acceptance at this moment is not a death sentence by any means

FB567

New

Post by FB567 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:15 pm

da87 wrote:
jgrin wrote:
That's what I was thinking/hoping
+1

da87

Bronze

Post by da87 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:20 pm

atfarmer wrote:I called today and asked where they were in their review process (since I've got a few deposit deadlines on 4/15). She told me that they've sent out a few rejections, but that the rest of their acceptances will be coming at the end of April. From the things she said to me, not having an acceptance at this moment is not a death sentence by any means
Thanks for that info!

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:29 pm

atfarmer wrote:I called today and asked where they were in their review process (since I've got a few deposit deadlines on 4/15). She told me that they've sent out a few rejections, but that the rest of their acceptances will be coming at the end of April. From the things she said to me, not having an acceptance at this moment is not a death sentence by any means
This is very good to know, thanks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”