SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cafloyd12

New

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by cafloyd12 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:48 pm

I'm with you guys. Got the email. Nothing on access but scholarship info. Anybody called yet? I'd do it but I'm at work.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:27 pm

cafloyd12 wrote:I'm with you guys. Got the email. Nothing on access but scholarship info. Anybody called yet? I'd do it but I'm at work.
I waited too late - they closed at 4pm today. I'm going to call in the morning.

cafloyd12

New

Post by cafloyd12 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:23 pm

Just wanted to let you guys know that I can see it now. It lists all of my loan eligibility, etc. Everyone check out your access account and see if it's updated for you as well.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:36 pm

cafloyd12 wrote:Just wanted to let you guys know that I can see it now. It lists all of my loan eligibility, etc. Everyone check out your access account and see if it's updated for you as well.
Got it too!

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:22 pm

never got an email, but all my award stuff is updated too....are we supposed to just click accept and then we're done?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DavidB

Bronze

Post by DavidB » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:30 pm

chrisokc wrote:
cafloyd12 wrote:Just wanted to let you guys know that I can see it now. It lists all of my loan eligibility, etc. Everyone check out your access account and see if it's updated for you as well.
Got it too!
+1

wellington

Bronze

Post by wellington » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:37 pm

bonnieblue wrote:never got an email, but all my award stuff is updated too....are we supposed to just click accept and then we're done?
+1

wocehtoom

New

Post by wocehtoom » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:42 pm

Was on campus today. Talked to financial aid. He said no one has gotten aid and that he expects it to be out by the end of this week.

In other news, does anyone have an opinion on/interest in splitting a 2/2 at the Phoenix Midtown? I visited today and loved but but have read some bad reviews. Looking for some input and a possible roommate. Let me know

cafloyd12

New

Post by cafloyd12 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:08 pm

I'm showing a total amount of aid about ten grand more than the website estimates. I'm wondering if this is because they forgot to subtract my scholly amount from the gradplus amount or if they decided to raise the cost of living amount substantially. I'm sure it's the former...but one can dream.

Anybody else showing a total around ten grand more than the estimates?

Edit: I just did the math. It looks like even if they made that mistake, the total is still a little over two grand more than the estimates. So it looks like they did raise the COL by at least two grand.

Somebody feel free to correct me if my analysis is incorrect and I'm missing something obvious.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

raoul79

New

Post by raoul79 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:43 pm

cafloyd12 wrote:I'm showing a total amount of aid about ten grand more than the website estimates. I'm wondering if this is because they forgot to subtract my scholly amount from the gradplus amount or if they decided to raise the cost of living amount substantially. I'm sure it's the former...but one can dream.

Edit: I just did the math. It looks like even if they made that mistake, the total is still a little over two grand more than the estimates. So it looks like they did raise the COL by at least two grand.

Somebody feel free to correct me if my analysis is incorrect and I'm missing something obvious.
Yes... It seems they didn't take scholly into account... I wish they could give their official breakdown (Tuition., Books, COL)

wellington

Bronze

Post by wellington » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:01 pm

cafloyd12 wrote:I'm showing a total amount of aid about ten grand more than the website estimates. I'm wondering if this is because they forgot to subtract my scholly amount from the gradplus amount or if they decided to raise the cost of living amount substantially. I'm sure it's the former...but one can dream.

I thought the same thing. Mine did seem 10K over.

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:07 pm

I received the email but still am not seeing anything online. I'm assuming it's just listed under self service -> campus finances -> view financial aid -> click on 2011

I'm still just seeing my scholy info

raoul79

New

Post by raoul79 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:17 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:I received the email but still am not seeing anything online. I'm assuming it's just listed under self service -> campus finances -> view financial aid -> click on 2011

Accept/Decline Option...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:27 pm

When did the tuition rise to 46k? :?:

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:29 pm

raoul79 wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:I received the email but still am not seeing anything online. I'm assuming it's just listed under self service -> campus finances -> view financial aid -> click on 2011

Accept/Decline Option...
Yeah I tried that too and all I see is:

2011 Southern Methodist University Award access not available.

I'll call tomorrow.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:34 pm

wellington wrote:

I thought the same thing. Mine did seem 10K over.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Although this may more accurately reflect the cost of living in the Park Cities.

wellington

Bronze

Post by wellington » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:39 pm

chrisokc wrote: Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Although this may more accurately reflect the cost of living in the Park Cities.
Could be. I think I remember my 2L friend saying his COL loans came to around 16k/yr. I'll check with him next chance I get and let everyone know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:43 pm

Integrity wrote:When did the tuition rise to 46k? :?:

Where do you see that?

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:12 am

kalvano wrote:

Where do you see that?
Perhaps I am mistaken. I assumed it was for tuition, but on Access it says $46,374 for PLUS/Alt Loan Eligibility.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:47 am

Integrity wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Where do you see that?
Perhaps I am mistaken. I assumed it was for tuition, but on Access it says $46,374 for PLUS/Alt Loan Eligibility.
I don't believe that's what that means. (Scholarship amount + unsubsidized Stafford + subsidized Stafford + Grad PLUS) = Total cost of attending (tuition, fees, etc. + living expenses). The Grad PLUS/Alt Loan is a "fill" number that will bridge the gap between the total of (scholarship + unsub. Stafford + sub. Stafford) and the total cost of attendance. Something has been increased. Let's hope they raised the cost of living amount as opposed to tuition. I suppose it could be both. If they raised the cost of living figure, you will be able to access more "free" money. If they raised tuition or fees while keeping the same cost of living figure, you won't see any more "available" cash.

I highly doubt that it's a mathematical error on their end. I've already accepted their offer, but we'll see.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:24 am

http://smu.edu/bursar/gradtuit.asp

This shows tuition + fees totalling $40,186, which is the same as the estimate provided here: http://www.law.smu.edu/JDFinancial-Aid

($17,998 tuition + $2,095 general student fee (max) = $20,093 * 2 semesters = $40,186)

That leads me to belive that the estimates were correct.

So,
Tuition + Fees = $40,186
Books = $1,800
Miscellaneous = $2,600
Living Expenses = $14,000

That only totals $58,586. Since it appears that we are all seeing an amount that is around $10k more than that, something must have gotten bumped, and it doesn't look like it's tuition. But, whatever it is, as long as it isn't a tuition increase, we should have access to more available cash.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tinyone

Bronze

Post by tinyone » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:49 am

Does anyone know if what the process is for Grad Plus? After we accept/reduce amount do we have to do anything else? Or does that count as applying for grad plus?

Also, any idea when we have to accept the package by? I don't want to until I know what my rent will be and that isn't going to happen until mid-July...

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:03 pm

Dagger

Didn't fill out the independent verification worksheet or send in my W2 (just faxed them), but it'll take a week to be put into the system.

Not a good start

cafloyd12

New

Post by cafloyd12 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:52 pm

I went ahead and applied for the gradplus, was approved and filled out my MPN's. When I click to view scheduled dispersement dates, there is no date for the gradplus loan. In fact, when it takes me to the disbursement view, I only see the sub/unsu, and scholarship amounts. I just wanted to check and make sure I'm not the only one with this problem. It could be that the school has to process my approval so it may be a while before I have a disbursement date available to view for the gradplus.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:56 pm

cafloyd12 wrote:I went ahead and applied for the gradplus, was approved and filled out my MPN's. When I click to view scheduled dispersement dates, there is no date for the gradplus loan. In fact, when it takes me to the disbursement view, I only see the sub/unsu, and scholarship amounts. I just wanted to check and make sure I'm not the only one with this problem. It could be that the school has to process my approval so it may be a while before I have a disbursement date available to view for the gradplus.
How do you apply for it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”