SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SpencerPratt

Bronze

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by SpencerPratt » Mon May 24, 2010 11:23 am

HBK wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:
DavidB wrote:
tinyone wrote:How do you log in to the SMU e-mail system. The only log in info I have is for Access.
http://webmail.smu.edu

Same username and password that you use for access.smu.edu.
I am not familiar with Access. Can we forward mail to gmail? I doubt I'll remember to check this very often.
All the information was sent via hardcopy letters. They assign you a student number and password.
Right. I am able to check the email (pretty much 140+ worthless messages), but I would prefer to have everything forwarded to gmail to make it easier on me. I can't figure out how to accomplish this, though.

tinyone

Bronze

Post by tinyone » Mon May 24, 2010 12:20 pm

DavidB wrote:
tinyone wrote:How do you log in to the SMU e-mail system. The only log in info I have is for Access.

Thanks. I like the e-mail about "brown-bagging" it to a discussion on managing money stress, haha.

Side note, I know the parking pass cost is included w/ our tuition but does anyone know if we need to sign up for a pass?

clwilson6

Bronze

Post by clwilson6 » Mon May 24, 2010 4:57 pm

I just called SMU to check on the status of my application since I hadn't heard anything from them since my application was held over for further review (I applied for early admision) and I lost my login and password for the status checker. The admin at the admissions office said that no decision had been made on my application yet. Seriously! Do they realize that it is the last full week of May and June 1st is the second seat deposit deadline? I don't fully understand what is going on. Either the admin didn't want to tell me to go pack sand over the phone or they truly can't make up their minds if they want to waitlist me. I was told that when a decision is made that a letter will be mailed to me. Is anyone else experiencing this at all or am I just a sad sucker who's being jerked around while the admin at SMU laughs their asses off?

SummerLaw

Bronze

Post by SummerLaw » Mon May 24, 2010 5:00 pm

I'll most likely be withdrawing my acceptance in the next week or two - PT accepted with $$ - so that will free up a spot for someone on the WL. Hang in there guys!

squ1rtle

New

Post by squ1rtle » Tue May 25, 2010 1:16 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:
DavidB wrote:

I am not familiar with Access. Can we forward mail to gmail? I doubt I'll remember to check this very often.
If you have a smart phone, you can setup active sync with the Microsoft Exchange server so emails come directly to your phone. http://www.smu.edu/OIT/Services/CellPho ... ation.aspx

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue May 25, 2010 3:40 pm

rachel.almaraz wrote:Does anyone have a good guess as to when they might start pulling people off of the waitlist? Hoping it's not as late as last year, I'm just trying to figure out how long I can wait on putting a deposit down on an apartment up in MD. Thanks.
I'm still pulling for you to get off the waitlist. Good luck!

rachel.almaraz

New

Post by rachel.almaraz » Tue May 25, 2010 5:02 pm

Thirteen wrote:
rachel.almaraz wrote:Does anyone have a good guess as to when they might start pulling people off of the waitlist? Hoping it's not as late as last year, I'm just trying to figure out how long I can wait on putting a deposit down on an apartment up in MD. Thanks.
I'm still pulling for you to get off the waitlist. Good luck!
Thanks!! I'm hoping they accept me soon, I can't wait till the very end like I did last year. **Crossing fingers**

hopefulhorn

New

Post by hopefulhorn » Wed May 26, 2010 3:00 pm

WHere do I go online to pay my Full seat deposit? I know this seems like an idiotic qustion. But, I searched my email and could not find anything. Do not feel like digging through masses of papers .

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Wed May 26, 2010 4:05 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

texag08

New

Post by texag08 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:20 pm

On the subject of the waitlist:

What are we expecting to happen on June 1?

Anything?

Should a significant amount of people be taken off of the waitlist or is that just wishful thinking?

I was WLd with a 161 and 3.41. SMU is my only real choice so i am hoping to hear something soon.

DavidB

Bronze

Post by DavidB » Thu May 27, 2010 1:25 pm

texag08 wrote:What are we expecting to happen on June 1?
I was told at the ASD that a higher-than-normal percentage of accepted applicants chose to attend last year, so SMU ended up with an unusually large class. They've sent acceptances to fewer applicants this year in an effort to keep the class size more manageable.

After the June 1 seat deposit deadline has passed, SMU will have a pretty good idea of the incoming class size.

peeves4026

New

Post by peeves4026 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:18 pm

DavidB wrote:
texag08 wrote:What are we expecting to happen on June 1?
I was told at the ASD that a higher-than-normal percentage of accepted applicants chose to attend last year, so SMU ended up with an unusually large class. They've sent acceptances to fewer applicants this year in an effort to keep the class size more manageable.

After the June 1 seat deposit deadline has passed, SMU will have a pretty good idea of the incoming class size.
Awesome. That's really helpful as I will be waiting out the wait list too. If anyone hears anything on the wait list be sure to let us know!

texag08

New

Post by texag08 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:16 pm

So are we soppossed to start hearing news today?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gman33

New

Post by gman33 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:38 pm

texag08 wrote:So are we soppossed to start hearing news today?
I spoke to two friends of mine who applied last year and they ended up on the wait list until July/August. One was accepted and the other was not. It seems to me that admissions is not going to move quickly. But with your numbers I would think you would be at the top of the wait list and would hear something in the next two weeks or so, since they notify you by snail mail; at least that's how my friend was notified last year.

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:49 pm

I just submitted my second seat deposit online. I am on several wait lists, and I hope to give my spot at SMU to one of you on the wait list!

wellington

Bronze

Post by wellington » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:04 pm

gman33 wrote:I spoke to two friends of mine who applied last year and they ended up on the wait list until July/August. One was accepted and the other was not. It seems to me that admissions is not going to move quickly. But with your numbers I would think you would be at the top of the wait list and would hear something in the next two weeks or so, since they notify you by snail mail; at least that's how my friend was notified last year.
I was on last years waitlist until mid-August.

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:21 am

Should we get finacial aid info soon?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:35 am

wellington wrote:
gman33 wrote:I spoke to two friends of mine who applied last year and they ended up on the wait list until July/August. One was accepted and the other was not. It seems to me that admissions is not going to move quickly. But with your numbers I would think you would be at the top of the wait list and would hear something in the next two weeks or so, since they notify you by snail mail; at least that's how my friend was notified last year.
I was on last years waitlist until mid-August.
Geez. How did that work? Did you go to SMU?

Were you already planning on going to another school? Had you paid tuition/signed a lease elsewhere?

wellington

Bronze

Post by wellington » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:13 pm

HBK wrote:
Geez. How did that work? Did you go to SMU?

Were you already planning on going to another school? Had you paid tuition/signed a lease elsewhere?
I was looking for a job by then (in Dallas, which, at the time, proved fruitless coming out of the economic downturn). My LSAT was weak. I planned on retaking and then reapplying to SMU (which I did, and I was accepted with $$).

Of course, SMU was my #1, so your response to a long waitlist might be different.

texag08

New

Post by texag08 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Anyone call in to the adcoms?? Curious to see what information they are putting out.

texag08

New

Post by texag08 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:40 pm

Anyone hear back on the WL??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

peeves4026

New

Post by peeves4026 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:02 pm

texag08 wrote:Anyone hear back on the WL??
Nothing so far. I've at least gotten status updates on the other wait lists I'm on but nothing from SMU. Anyone else?

Katherine

New

Post by Katherine » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:39 pm

I spoke with admissions a few weeks ago, they said by the 2nd or 3rd they'll know if they are dipping into the wait list at all and by the tenth or so they'll start making the calls. I called yesterday and the woman danced around the answer basically just saying they're swamped right now so they won't know anything for a week or so.

texag08

New

Post by texag08 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:43 am

So you are saying that they may not take ANYONE from the waitlist?? How does this compare to last years outcome?

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:49 pm

Based on the fact that they wl'd everyone below a 164, something tells me they got their # quota this year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”