SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wellington

Bronze

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by wellington » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:22 pm

HBK wrote:Just finalized my lease. I am starting to get excited about this whole back to school thing.
Mine will be done next week. I'm getting ready, too.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:41 pm

HBK wrote:Just finalized my lease. I am starting to get excited about this whole back to school thing.
Where are you living?

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:55 pm

chrisokc wrote:
Where are you living?
Stalker Alert!!!

:mrgreen:

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:00 pm

chrisokc wrote:
Where are you living?
I rented a house one block north of Knox-Henderson. 7 minutes from SMU, and 7 minutes from where my fiancee will be working. It's pretty much perfect, a yard for the dogs, walking distance to a bunch of bars and restaurants, no shared walls.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:29 pm

HBK wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
Where are you living?
I rented a house one block north of Knox-Henderson. 7 minutes from SMU, and 7 minutes from where my fiancee will be working. It's pretty much perfect, a yard for the dogs, walking distance to a bunch of bars and restaurants, no shared walls.
Congratulations - that's a nice area.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:01 pm

Damn you people and your easy drives.

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:15 pm

kalvano wrote:Damn you people and your easy drives.
If it will make you feel any better... my daily commute is going to be 45 miles from North Ft Worth to Richardson each day for work, and 10 miles then From Richardson to SMU for school. Then I get a nice refreshing 40 mile trip back home after class.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:28 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
If it will make you feel any better... my daily commute is going to be 45 miles from North Ft Worth to Richardson each day for work, and 10 miles then From Richardson to SMU for school. Then I get a nice refreshing 40 mile trip back home after class.

Yeah, 45 miles is my commute, give or take a bit depending on Tollway or 35.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:31 pm

chrisokc wrote:
HBK wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
Where are you living?
Congratulations - that's a nice area.
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to moving! It'll be nice to not live in an apartment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:35 pm

HBK wrote:Thanks, I'm really looking forward to moving! It'll be nice to not live in an apartment.

I highly recommend Manny's in Uptown.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:48 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
I'm looking at a two to three-minute drive to the parking garage. I may walk if the weather is nice. However, I am concerned that I could be mugged by an unruly Snider Plaza boutique patron.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:55 pm

chrisokc wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:
I'm looking at a two to three-minute drive to the parking garage. I may walk if the weather is nice. However, I am concerned that I could be mugged by an unruly Snider Plaza boutique patron.

Keep Botox coupons in your pocket and throw them as necessary to distract.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:03 pm

kalvano wrote:
chrisokc wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:

Keep Botox coupons in your pocket and throw them as necessary to distract.
Good thinking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:16 pm

How long between doing the MPN / accepting loans and SMU certification of the loans?

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:42 pm

kalvano wrote:How long between doing the MPN / accepting loans and SMU certification of the loans?
If I remember right, it took about 4 days for mine to show up as certified/approved. I'm old and forgetful though... so I might be off by a day or two.

ClemTiger

New

Post by ClemTiger » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:51 pm

Iconoclast wrote:
kalvano wrote:How long between doing the MPN / accepting loans and SMU certification of the loans?
If I remember right, it took about 4 days for mine to show up as certified/approved. I'm old and forgetful though... so I might be off by a day or two.
Probably a dumb question, but I didn't see it anywhere...is there a certain date we have to accept/decline the loans by?

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:30 am

Signed my lease a couple days ago and I'm three weeks away from my last day of work. I guess this is happening.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:40 am

fathergoose wrote:
Signed my lease a couple days ago and I'm three weeks away from my last day of work. I guess this is happening.
I guess so. My last day is less than a month away. It's surreal.

callingsarah

New

Post by callingsarah » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:35 am

fathergoose wrote:
+1. Last day is three weeks from today.

peeves4026

New

Post by peeves4026 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:15 pm

Has anyone ordered their parking permit online? I just went to the website but didn't see the "L" law parking garage designation in any of the permit options. It said something about having to be registered for classes before you can order a permit so I don't know if that has something to do with it...

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:21 pm

peeves4026 wrote:Has anyone ordered their parking permit online? I just went to the website but didn't see the "L" law parking garage designation in any of the permit options. It said something about having to be registered for classes before you can order a permit so I don't know if that has something to do with it...
And to add to this: Does anyone know when we can start using the gym?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:09 pm

HBK wrote:
peeves4026 wrote:Has anyone ordered their parking permit online? I just went to the website but didn't see the "L" law parking garage designation in any of the permit options. It said something about having to be registered for classes before you can order a permit so I don't know if that has something to do with it...
August 15th is when the Rec. Center activates and deactivates student accounts. I am sure if you speak with someone in management that he or she will grant you access a few weeks early. The gym has been dead lately.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:16 pm

I have not. I have to go buy a car first. I assume they want to know what you're driving.

But it won't let me log in to the parking thing at all. It says I need to wait 24 hours after registering for classes.

callingsarah

New

Post by callingsarah » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:28 am

Integrity wrote:
HBK wrote:
August 15th is when the Rec. Center activates and deactivates student accounts. I am sure if you speak with someone in management that he or she will grant you access a few weeks early. The gym has been dead lately.
I have to call them today anyhow-- I'm teaching classes there in the fall and I really need to get in early also! I'll see what they advise.

YEM

New

Post by YEM » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:08 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:What's everyone doing for prep (if anything)? When do we think we'll get our schedules? Will anyone be ordering books online soon-ish rather than buying in the bookstore?
bit of a late response here, but between moving, starting the new job and getting ready for baby #2, I've been mostly ignoring what comes in August - which is ironic for how all-consuming the process was for me until receiving SMU's acceptance... anyway...

For prep, it was recommended to me by a well-ranked rising SMU 2L that nothing more than "Getting to Maybe" (http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Maybe-Exc ... 0890897603) is worth pursuing prior to the start of classes. Just do something mentally stimulative and enjoyable and try to relax prior to that third week of August.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”