SMU 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SMUDallas2010

New

SMU 2010!

Post by SMUDallas2010 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:08 pm

I will be applying for the PT program. Just took the LSAT in Sept. and have already signed up for the December test. (I'm expecting the worst) I'm only applying to SMU since I live and work in Dallas. I've spent 7 years building my career here so that pretty much limits my choices. I was also born and raised in Dallas so SMU just makes sense for me.

Anyway, just thought it would be nice to have a cozy spot here on TLS so we can all be neurotic together during this cycle.

Good luck to everyone!

SportsFanatic

Bronze

Re: SMU 2010!

Post by SportsFanatic » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:15 pm

Also live and work here in Dallas. Will be applying to the FT program, although I am considering the PT program as well. December exam for me. Good luck

basetommyball

New

Post by basetommyball » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:19 pm

Good luck guys, its a great school!

SMUDallas2010

New

Post by SMUDallas2010 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:33 pm

basetommyball wrote:Good luck guys, its a great school!
Thanks! Are you FT or PT?

SMUDallas2010

New

Post by SMUDallas2010 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:34 pm

SportsFanatic wrote:Also live and work here in Dallas. Will be applying to the FT program, although I am considering the PT program as well. December exam for me. Good luck
Were you able to secure a test center in Dallas? Every zip code I used was full. I'll be taking it in Austin again.....which was pretty fun as there was a home game that day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:02 am

I live in Dallas and took the September LSAT at Baylor. It's not near as bad a trip as Austin if there are any seats open.

SportsFanatic

Bronze

Post by SportsFanatic » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:15 pm

SMUDallas2010 wrote:
SportsFanatic wrote:Also live and work here in Dallas. Will be applying to the FT program, although I am considering the PT program as well. December exam for me. Good luck
Were you able to secure a test center in Dallas? Every zip code I used was full. I'll be taking it in Austin again.....which was pretty fun as there was a home game that day.
Will be taking it at Texas Weslyan.

SMUDallas2010

New

Post by SMUDallas2010 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:15 pm

Assuming Kalvano is applying to SMU law school and including sportsfanatic that is 3 people so far. No one else? Our odds are looking good!

But seriously, no one else on TLS is thinking about applying to SMU for fall 2010?????

adrib

Bronze

Post by adrib » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:17 pm

me!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KansasSplitter

New

Post by KansasSplitter » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:18 pm

Applying FT as well...submitted some time ago, no response email yet.

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:23 pm

Also applying. any advice from SMU 1/2Ls?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:25 pm

I'm applying because I feel obligated, not because I have any interest in staying in Texas whatsoever.

But if I don't get into my top choices, then I guess SMU is better than Franklin Pierce or the University of Maine.

But even then, I would still have to think about it.

SMUDallas2010

New

Post by SMUDallas2010 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:14 am

Sweet! Glad to see more folks out there!

Anyone see the admit numbers for 2009? The FT program admitted 24 more people than 2008 and the PT program admitted 20 less students. Not sure how to feel about that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rachel.almaraz

New

Post by rachel.almaraz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:30 am

I can't wait to submit my application for SMU 2010!!!

I applied last year, was placed on a wait-list, and was never taken off. SMU is my #1 pick so I'm hoping for the best this time around. I retook the LSAT in Sept. and now I'm anxiously awaiting my score.

It's such an amazing school and I can't wait to apply and hear back!

riburn3

New

Post by riburn3 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:15 am

Also applying PT and it is one of my top choices. Love the Dallas area, the SMU location, and would be happy to live and work here while I go to school. Good luck to everyone!

mcflooter06

Bronze

Post by mcflooter06 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:38 pm

SMUDallas2010 wrote:I will be applying for the PT program. Just took the LSAT in Sept. and have already signed up for the December test. (I'm expecting the worst) I'm only applying to SMU since I live and work in Dallas. I've spent 7 years building my career here so that pretty much limits my choices. I was also born and raised in Dallas so SMU just makes sense for me.

Anyway, just thought it would be nice to have a cozy spot here on TLS so we can all be neurotic together during this cycle.

Good luck to everyone!

Welcome to a fellow Dallas-ite!!! SMU is definitely one of my top choices, its a beautiful campus- and not much can beat Dallas once you've lived here! Good luck to you, maybe we'll be seeing each other next year. :)

texaspecial88

Bronze

Post by texaspecial88 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:43 pm

I'm a Dallasite looking to perhaps coming back. It'll depend on my sept. LSAT whether I'm applying FT or PT. What are your reasons for PT? Is applying for PT straight out of undergrad a bad idea?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SMUDallas2010

New

Post by SMUDallas2010 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:27 pm

mcflooter06 wrote:
SMUDallas2010 wrote:I will be applying for the PT program. Just took the LSAT in Sept. and have already signed up for the December test. (I'm expecting the worst) I'm only applying to SMU since I live and work in Dallas. I've spent 7 years building my career here so that pretty much limits my choices. I was also born and raised in Dallas so SMU just makes sense for me.

Good luck to everyone!

Welcome to a fellow Dallas-ite!!! SMU is definitely one of my top choices, its a beautiful campus- and not much can beat Dallas once you've lived here! Good luck to you, maybe we'll be seeing each other next year. :)
Same to you! I've tried going to school out of state a couple of times and I always ended up coming back to Dallas. I learned my lesson. :) Have you taken the LSAT yet?

SMUDallas2010

New

Post by SMUDallas2010 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:32 pm

texaspecial88 wrote:I'm a Dallasite looking to perhaps coming back. It'll depend on my sept. LSAT whether I'm applying FT or PT. What are your reasons for PT? Is applying for PT straight out of undergrad a bad idea?
I'm applying to the PT program because I'm a full-time real estate agent (interested in real estate/property law) in Dallas and so I run my own business.

I don't think going PT out of undergrad is a bad idea as long as you have valid reasons for doing so. I'm sure there are other undergrads out there who have applied PT perhaps because their LSAT wasn't as great as they'd hoped. Either way, I think the schools are going to crack down on PT requirements. SMU took 76 PT students in 2009 vs taking 96 in 2008. I wonder if this article is any clue as to why...http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/10/06/unh ... t-program/

KansasSplitter

New

Post by KansasSplitter » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:28 pm

Got the status checker email today...current status is "Application Complete".

Did the non-binding ED, so I would imagine news should be forthcoming around Halloween or sooner (hopefully).

rachel.almaraz

New

Post by rachel.almaraz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:43 pm

KansasSplitter wrote:Got the status checker email today...current status is "Application Complete".

Did the non-binding ED, so I would imagine news should be forthcoming around Halloween or sooner (hopefully).
I did the ED non-binding last year and got an e-mail shortly after saying that decisions would come before the end of January (accept, deny, or hold for further review).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SMUDallas2010

New

Post by SMUDallas2010 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:44 pm

KansasSplitter wrote:Got the status checker email today...current status is "Application Complete".

Search for last year's admissions cycle. It's painful to read. :lol: But informative. ED applicants will most likely hear something at the end of January. Some were deferred all the way into summer. :shock:

From what I remember ED folks heard something at the end of January. The next round of notices were made in April (I think). There are 61 pages in the thread and I went through to figure out when people heard from them. Should have written it down...FAIL.

rachel.almaraz

New

Post by rachel.almaraz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:42 pm

SMUDallas2010 wrote:

Search for last year's admissions cycle. It's painful to read. :lol: But informative. ED applicants will most likely hear something at the end of January. Some were deferred all the way into summer. :shock:

From what I remember ED folks heard something at the end of January. The next round of notices were made in April (I think). There are 61 pages in the thread and I went through to figure out when people heard from them. Should have written it down...FAIL.
I applied in early November last year, was held for further review at the end of January, waitlisted in May, and wasn't given a final decision until the end of August. All in all, not a great cycle. Hopefully this one will be better. Last year they had 4,000 for (I think) 180 spots or so. Here's to hoping for a good cycle!

SMUDallas2010

New

Post by SMUDallas2010 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:19 pm

rachel.almaraz wrote:
SMUDallas2010 wrote:

I applied in early November last year, was held for further review at the end of January, waitlisted in May, and wasn't given a final decision until the end of August. All in all, not a great cycle. Hopefully this one will be better. Last year they had 4,000 for (I think) 180 spots or so. Here's to hoping for a good cycle!
For some reason I think they received just over 2,000 applications for the 254 spots in 2009. I can't remember where I saw the app number though. The spots for FT and PT are on their website under Quick Facts.

rachel.almaraz

New

Post by rachel.almaraz » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:23 pm

SMUDallas2010 wrote:
rachel.almaraz wrote:
SMUDallas2010 wrote:

For some reason I think they received just over 2,000 applications for the 254 spots in 2009. I can't remember where I saw the app number though. The spots for FT and PT are on their website under Quick Facts.
You may be right, it's been awhile since my visit and I couldn't recall the exact number for the applicants that the admin officer told me. Either way, it was a large number and a lot of strong competition. Not to mention that pretty much everyone that sent in a deposit didn't withdraw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”