Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Amelie

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Amelie » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:12 pm

astro1819 wrote:
Agreed. However, I can't believe Stanford has such a gray-area policy that diverges from LSAC rules. What makes it worse is that now I can't even add any transcripts to my account, so LSAC said just to send it to them anyway without a processing form (and hope that it is processed to my account in a timely manner). Oy.

LSAC did the same thing to me. Make sure you stay on their case when you think the transcript should have arrived. After my transcript was processed it took 3 weeks for them to mail it despite multiple emails... it took a somewhat rude phonecall for someone to realize a mistake had been made.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:55 pm

astro1819 wrote:
maggiebre wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:I recommend securing the transcripts from the study abroad institution because, as the replies in this thread and elsewhere on TLS indicate, there is confusion about when you need them and when you don't. Better to err on the side of caution. Folks have thought they would be okay, only to find out weeks later that they needed to request documents from abroad.

If the course work appears on the UG institution's transcript and the study abroad was sponsored by a US or Canadian institution, it looks like you don't need the study abroad transcript.

I think you're right about getting the transcript just in case. My course work appeared on my UG transcript (albeit as P/F) and the study abroad was sponsored by my school. It's better to be cautious.

Agreed. However, I can't believe Stanford has such a gray-area policy that diverges from LSAC rules. What makes it worse is that now I can't even add any transcripts to my account, so LSAC said just to send it to them anyway without a processing form (and hope that it is processed to my account in a timely manner). Oy.

I can't personally speak to any gray-area, but I do remember one person having to secure study abroad transcripts for Stanford and no other law school.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:56 pm

BenJ wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
astro1819 wrote:Stanford just received my application yesterday. Does anyone have an idea of how long it typically takes for them to notify you whether your application is complete or not? I ask because there is one piece of my application that may or may not be incomplete. Just trying to figure out what length of time I should let pass before calling them to check. Thanks!

A couple of weeks until they confirm that you are complete. However, a good numbers of folks do not receive a "you're complete" e-mail, not because they haven't gone complete, but because Stanford gets behind in sending them out.

What about a "received" email? I never got a received email, and I sent my app in on 1/7.

I received a "received" e-mail about a week after I submitted. No complete e-mail, yet.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:03 pm

If we want to send an additional LOR, should we have it processed by the LSAC first? Will they let you send extra LORs if your app has already been sent in and completed?

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:04 pm

fidesverita wrote:If we want to send an additional LOR, should we have it processed by the LSAC first? Will they let you send extra LORs if your app has already been sent in and completed?

Yes to both questions.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:24 am

well, just to update.......it appears that that random private number call smack in the middle of when stanford was calling on friday was a chance occurrence (no follow-up as far as i can tell although i don't have service bc i'm in the rural south, def no e-mail).....i guess i made the right decision to keep studying for the LSAT :(

i was reading somewhere recently that coincidences are actually a lot more common than we think and i guess this along with the 617 number that called me on the day i was expecting my JR2 lend support to that

mochafury

Postby mochafury » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:37 am

What kind of turnaround time are people normally seeing with Stanford this cycle? Does it vary by numbers (aka auto-admits and -rejects hear right away, borderlines are later, etc.), or is it submission-based?

Specifically, I'm wondering when an early-December submission should hear back.

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:42 am

mochafury wrote:What kind of turnaround time are people normally seeing with Stanford this cycle? Does it vary by numbers (aka auto-admits and -rejects hear right away, borderlines are later, etc.), or is it submission-based?

my dates: dec23 sent, jan13 complete, jan22 decision (accept). maybe you'll hear soon?

mochafury

Postby mochafury » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:02 pm

Hm...your app's awkwardly like mine on RedBull. 3.94/173/Rhodes-contention...meet 3.9/172/Truman-contention. I'll hold back the tears of cardinal red I'm going to cry when the S rejection comes in...for now.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:03 pm

mochafury wrote:What kind of turnaround time are people normally seeing with Stanford this cycle? Does it vary by numbers (aka auto-admits and -rejects hear right away, borderlines are later, etc.), or is it submission-based?

Last year, most applicants, including those who applied in September, didn't get their rejections until April. No one has reported a rejection so far this cycle.

As for acceptances, Stanford jumps around. Last week, we saw acceptances for applicants with October/November/December complete dates and, in the case of clyde, an applicant with a January complete date.

Also, unlike Harvard and Berkeley, Stanford accepts a significant percentage of its applicants at the end of the cycle in April. To make a long story short, you can't read too much into whether you've heard from SLS at a given point in the cycle--unless, of course, you've been accepted, in which case you can read quite a bit into it. :)

mochafury

Postby mochafury » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Thanks Dig. Good luck harpooning the HYS whale.

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:51 pm

So, has Stanford had any rejections yet or are people just not posting them?

excuse my laziness for not scrolling through the jibber :D

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:53 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:So, has Stanford had any rejections yet or are people just not posting them?

They don't reject anyone. They just slowly wait for their applicant pool to realize they're unworthy.

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:54 pm

VoidSix wrote:
Snoopy1216 wrote:So, has Stanford had any rejections yet or are people just not posting them?

They don't reject anyone. They just slowly wait for their applicant pool to realize they're unworthy.

I LoL'ed. TITCR

eshort

Postby eshort » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:24 pm

I just received an email from Stanford saying my file was Incomplete and missing one LOR and the Form B, requesting for me to submit them ASAP.
I assigned both LORs at the same time via LSAC and my account indicates that both have been sent (I would assume at the same time as the rest of my report on 1/3). I had a delivery confirmation on the form B and it was delivered on 1/11.
An updated transcript was sent via LSAC also on 1/11.
How should I address this? Just call them?

Edits: First to add a piece of info and then to explain the original edit.
Last edited by eshort on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:25 pm

eshort wrote:I just received an email from Stanford saying my file was Incomplete and missing one LOR and the Form B, requesting for me to submit them ASAP.
I assigned both LORs at the same time via LSAC and my account indicates that both have been sent (I would assume at the same time as the rest of my report on 1/3). I had a delivery confirmation on the form B and it was delivered on 1/11.

Email them. They were very responsive to me when I had issues with completion.

eshort

Postby eshort » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:41 pm

managamy wrote:
eshort wrote:I just received an email from Stanford saying my file was Incomplete and missing one LOR and the Form B, requesting for me to submit them ASAP.

Email them. They were very responsive to me when I had issues with completion.

Thanks for the quick response. Email sent.
Since this is probably the only time I will have a reason to post in this thread, I thought I might go ahead and eek out a second one. :)

runrabbit

Postby runrabbit » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:18 am

any idea when the next batch of offers will be released?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:04 am

runrabbit wrote:any idea when the next batch of offers will be released?

For Stanford, a "batch" is usually three or four people. Anyway, there isn't an established pattern, but I've noticed that Dean Faye tends to make calls on Tuesdays and Fridays. It's possible that we'll learn of a few more acceptances tomorrow.

runrabbit

Postby runrabbit » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:03 pm

thanks dignan. props on the bottle rocket reference, by the way.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:23 pm

Finally complete! 5pm PST, yesterday.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:26 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:38 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:How long does it generally take to go complete at Stanford? My Form B was mailed on the 11th, application sent on the 13th.

I applied on Jan 3rd, received initial e-mail 5 days later, complete yesterday. So...about 3 weeks.

Walfredo47

Postby Walfredo47 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:34 am

http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admissions/

An interesting and different dynamic than HLS; The post says that "email is the most efficient way to send updated information," but is vague about sending more LORs, while HLS is much more systematic in their "hold" process in terms of encouraging LOCI in snail-mail format. Still, a LOCI seems appropriate at this point, via the email format.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:59 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:How long does it generally take to go complete at Stanford? My Form B was mailed on the 11th, application sent on the 13th.

I submitted on 1/7, Form B mailed on 1/12, so a similar time frame. I e-mailed them yesterday to make sure they got my Form B but haven't gotten a response yet. I figure we'll go complete maybe late this week but more likely next week.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”