Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kronk

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Kronk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:22 pm

Core wrote:
VoidSix wrote:I sent off my LOCI today. Not doing TFA so I want in more than ever.

Good luck.
Do you guys think it's appropriate to send SLS a LOCI at this point? I was under the impression you should wait until at least Feb.

I was just afraid I would get a rejection before I had the chance to show Stanford all the cool stuff I've been up to. It's a gamble either way, but I don't think my softs were good enough for SLS when I applied. Now, I have done a few things that might be game changers. Who knows.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:49 pm

VoidSix wrote:Not doing TFA so I want in more than ever.

:shock: ?!?! What happened?!?! :shock:

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:10 am

crackberry wrote:

They only give you two weeks to decide, and a few days after I heard the news I was having some pretty serious personal issues that made me feel like I could commit to be responsible for a group of kids that would require that much attention.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:13 am

VoidSix wrote:
crackberry wrote:

They only give you two weeks to decide, and a few days after I heard the news I was having some pretty serious personal issues that made me feel like I could commit to be responsible for a group of kids that would require that much attention.

I assume that was meant to say "couldn't." What's funny is a very similar thing happened to me a couple years ago. Was all set to do TFA in South Dakota, then had a change of heart last minute and called the whole thing off. Just decided teaching wasn't for me. I guess I felt like being a teacher is important enough that if your heart isn't in it, it's not for you.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:17 am

VoidSix wrote:
crackberry wrote:

+1. The two-week deadline ended any thought that I had; it's an unreasonable time window in which to consider a commitment of that duration.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:22 am

crackberry wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
crackberry wrote:

I assume that was meant to say "couldn't." What's funny is a very similar thing happened to me a couple years ago. Was all set to do TFA in South Dakota, then had a change of heart last minute and called the whole thing off. Just decided teaching wasn't for me. I guess I felt like being a teacher is important enough that if your heart isn't in it, it's not for you.

Interesting. South Dakota? Yikes! Haha.

There are a lot of things I like about TFA. But there are a lot of things I don't like, too. For instance, the fact that have to get a master's in education while teaching. While it's cool that they allow you to get a free MA, if you know you don't want to teach long term it is essentially just a waste of the small amount of free time you have while in the program.

It would've been nice to get CA residency, though.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:24 am

managamy wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
crackberry wrote:

+1. The two-week deadline ended any thought that I had; it's an unreasonable time window in which to consider a commitment of that duration.

Yeah. It was far too stiff. I gave it the full fourteen days and still didn't feel like I could truly commit so I just went forward and didn't look back.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:27 am

VoidSix wrote:Interesting. South Dakota? Yikes! Haha.

Yeah I thought it might be cool to live in a remote part of the country for a couple years. SD and New Mexico were my top two choices. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't do it though.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:25 pm

Stanford just received my application yesterday. Does anyone have an idea of how long it typically takes for them to notify you whether your application is complete or not? I ask because there is one piece of my application that may or may not be incomplete. Just trying to figure out what length of time I should let pass before calling them to check. Thanks!

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:03 pm

astro1819 wrote:Stanford just received my application yesterday. Does anyone have an idea of how long it typically takes for them to notify you whether your application is complete or not? I ask because there is one piece of my application that may or may not be incomplete. Just trying to figure out what length of time I should let pass before calling them to check. Thanks!

A couple of weeks until they confirm that you are complete. However, a good numbers of folks do not receive a "you're complete" e-mail, not because they haven't gone complete, but because Stanford gets behind in sending them out.

Havaianas

Postby Havaianas » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:12 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
astro1819 wrote:Stanford just received my application yesterday. Does anyone have an idea of how long it typically takes for them to notify you whether your application is complete or not? I ask because there is one piece of my application that may or may not be incomplete. Just trying to figure out what length of time I should let pass before calling them to check. Thanks!

A couple of weeks until they confirm that you are complete. However, a good numbers of folks do not receive a "you're complete" e-mail, not because they haven't gone complete, but because Stanford gets behind in sending them out.

+1 Also if you studied abroad even just for a semester - they need a transcript from that school.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:58 pm

Havaianas wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
+1 Also if you studied abroad even just for a semester - they need a transcript from that school.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I emailed my abroad school a week ago and they haven't responded (even when I studied there, it was almost impossible to get anything helpful from the school administration). I had my undergrad Dean of Students say that the study abroad was officially sponsored on the Form B, but I'm not sure if that will suffice. Back to nagging my study abroad institution...

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:20 pm

astro1819 wrote:
Havaianas wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I emailed my abroad school a week ago and they haven't responded (even when I studied there, it was almost impossible to get anything helpful from the school administration). I had my undergrad Dean of Students say that the study abroad was officially sponsored on the Form B, but I'm not sure if that will suffice. Back to nagging my study abroad institution...

I am almost certain that that the abroad school will need to send a transcript in order for you to go complete.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:26 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:I am almost certain that that the abroad school will need to send a transcript in order for you to go complete.

OK, thanks for the heads up. I'll be very diligent in getting the transcript sent. Did you have a similar issue?

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:28 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
astro1819 wrote:
Havaianas wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:

I am almost certain that that the abroad school will need to send a transcript in order for you to go complete.

Yes they do. I submitted in October but am still not complete because my abroad institution didn't send the transcript until early December, and LSAC screwed up royally and didn't send it to Stanford until early January (after I called and emailed multiple times). I'm still not positive LSAC sent it because Stanford hadn't received it as of last week. Ugh it's so frustrating...

Laina

Postby Laina » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:30 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
astro1819 wrote:
Havaianas wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:

Unless the study abroad grades are already on your UG transcript, just to clarify. You don't have to send the transcript directly from the study abroad school if your UG already counted the grade and put it on your official transcript.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:32 pm

astro1819 wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:I am almost certain that that the abroad school will need to send a transcript in order for you to go complete.

OK, thanks for the heads up. I'll be very diligent in getting the transcript sent. Did you have a similar issue?

I didn't have any issues. I had classes as part of a fellowship program, but it was domestic and easy to secure the transcripts. Others on TLS have clearly been held up due to outstanding study abroad transcripts.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Laina wrote:
Unless the study abroad grades are already on your UG transcript, just to clarify. You don't have to send the transcript directly from the study abroad school if your UG already counted the grade and put it on your official transcript.

Are you sure? I thought someone had study abroad grades on their UG transcript, and was surprised when they found out they needed transcripts from the abroad institution.

mh7777

Postby mh7777 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:35 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
astro1819 wrote:
Havaianas wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:

I never had a transcript sent. The classes from my study abroad do appear on my undergrad transcript, but the grades don't. LSAC processed it without my study abroad transcripts, and I went complete at Stanford without any question.

Maybe it's just that Stanford knows they'll reject me, so they don't really care...

chopsticks3092

Postby chopsticks3092 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:38 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
Laina wrote:

Are you sure? I thought someone had study abroad grades on their UG transcript, and was surprised when they found out they needed transcripts from the abroad institution.

I never sent in my study abroad transcript since the grades were on my UG transcript, and I just got in yesterday.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:53 pm

I recommend securing the transcripts from the study abroad institution because, as the replies in this thread and elsewhere on TLS indicate, there is confusion about when you need them and when you don't. Better to err on the side of caution. Folks have thought they would be okay, only to find out weeks later that they needed to request documents from abroad.

If the course work appears on the UG institution's transcript and the study abroad was sponsored by a US or Canadian institution, it looks like you don't need the study abroad transcript.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:58 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:

What about a "received" email? I never got a received email, and I sent my app in on 1/7.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:03 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:I recommend securing the transcripts from the study abroad institution because, as the replies in this thread and elsewhere on TLS indicate, there is confusion about when you need them and when you don't. Better to err on the side of caution. Folks have thought they would be okay, only to find out weeks later that they needed to request documents from abroad.

If the course work appears on the UG institution's transcript and the study abroad was sponsored by a US or Canadian institution, it looks like you don't need the study abroad transcript.

I think you're right about getting the transcript just in case. My course work appeared on my UG transcript (albeit as P/F) and the study abroad was sponsored by my school. It's better to be cautious.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:05 pm

BenJ wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:

What about a "received" email? I never got a received email, and I sent my app in on 1/7.

I received an email from Stanford saying they received my application, a day after submitting.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:08 pm

maggiebre wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:I recommend securing the transcripts from the study abroad institution because, as the replies in this thread and elsewhere on TLS indicate, there is confusion about when you need them and when you don't. Better to err on the side of caution. Folks have thought they would be okay, only to find out weeks later that they needed to request documents from abroad.

I think you're right about getting the transcript just in case. My course work appeared on my UG transcript (albeit as P/F) and the study abroad was sponsored by my school. It's better to be cautious.

Agreed. However, I can't believe Stanford has such a gray-area policy that diverges from LSAC rules. What makes it worse is that now I can't even add any transcripts to my account, so LSAC said just to send it to them anyway without a processing form (and hope that it is processed to my account in a timely manner). Oy.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”