Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
calicocat

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby calicocat » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:53 am

managamy wrote:
VoidSix wrote:I'm 99.9% sure Stanford picks their class at random from 168+ / 3.8+ applicants

Hmm, I thought that you'd learned your lesson regarding prognostications. Wait for the first 167 acceptance. 8)

Do we need to bring the Lego guillotine to the Stanford thread?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:54 am

Oli wrote:
managamy wrote:
VoidSix wrote:I'm 99.9% sure Stanford picks their class at random from 168+ / 3.8+ applicants

Hmm, I thought that you'd learned your lesson regarding prognostications. Wait for the first 167 acceptance. 8)

No, Stanford criminals are thrown from the top of Hoover Tower. : :lol:

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:06 am

managamy wrote:
Oli wrote:
managamy wrote:

No, Stanford criminals are thrown from the top of Hoover Tower. : :lol:

Haha so its a new execution method for each school then...

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:13 am

VoidSix wrote:Okay, so that was hyperbole. But really--I thought they were just GPA and soft heavy. But in comes bgc, who has amazing softs and a 3.9 / 179, flat out rejection from Stanford.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/bgc

I don't know. Very strange admissions patterns.

They tend to have a strong emphasis on softs. Being a top school, Stanford's choosing people not just for their brains (with hard numbers) but also for their experiences and interests. Keep in mind it's a tiny class size compared to Harvard and the other big ones.

I don't think it's completely random :)

Chichaca

Postby Chichaca » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:40 am

VoidSix wrote:Okay, so that was hyperbole. But really--I thought they were just GPA and soft heavy. But in comes bgc, who has amazing softs and a 3.9 / 179, flat out rejection from Stanford.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/bgc

I don't know. Very strange admissions patterns.

It appears he wasn't complete until 02-22-09. Let's hope that was the reason.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:29 am

Imho, having a 179/3.9 is great but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a strong lawyer. If anything, I wish more schools looked at your work experiences, PS, and leadership roles. I don't want a lawyer who only knows how to study!

But with that being said... of course good numbers are still important.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:33 am

fidesverita wrote:Imho, having a 179/3.9 is great but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a strong lawyer. If anything, I wish more schools looked at your work experiences, PS, and leadership roles. I don't want a lawyer who only knows how to study!

You make a very compelling point, but I'm glad that most Admissions Committees don't share your opinion. My stats >>>> my softs. That said, I do think that Stanford and other top schools evaluate the factors that you describe, since many of their applicants have extremely strong stats already.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:53 pm

Joining the thread. Complete as of 11/19.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:57 pm

managamy wrote:
fidesverita wrote:Imho, having a 179/3.9 is great but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a strong lawyer. If anything, I wish more schools looked at your work experiences, PS, and leadership roles. I don't want a lawyer who only knows how to study!

You make a very compelling point, but I'm glad that most Admissions Committees don't share your opinion. My stats >>>> my softs. That said, I do think that Stanford and other top schools evaluate the factors that you describe, since many of their applicants have extremely strong stats already.

AMEN BROTHER! I have no softs whatsoever and I don't mean like people who have been club president/volunteered in Bangeladesh/etc. and claim to have no softs. REALLY no softs other than one year of WE. I sure hope they care much more about stats than softs.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:45 pm

I met Bgc at Boalt admit weekend and he has very good softs.

With Yale and Stanford you just never know what they want. Sometimes they've filled their quota of strong numbers and maybe want to add something else to the class and will take people with lower numbers but a different background.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:58 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
managamy wrote:

AMEN BROTHER! I have no softs whatsoever and I don't mean like people who have been club president/volunteered in Bangeladesh/etc. and claim to have no softs. REALLY no softs other than one year of WE. I sure hope they care much more about stats than softs.

Haha.. and that's why admissions is always a toss up. They want people who are smart numbers-wise (who can do the work and excel as a student) and who are people-smart (future leaders, yadda yadda). I find that great numbers will get you in most of the time... but I also know people who have strong numbers (but certainly not 3.8, 175+) who got in because of the extensive work that they've done (be it in publishing, starting a business, become a local leader for various reasons etc). The softs are just harder to predict because you never know what they'll find interesting and what they find annoying.

Either way, it all makes for a more interesting entering class!

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Toby for Heisman.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:00 pm

crackberry wrote:Toby for Heisman.

+100000000. I knew him as a classmate Freshman year and he's a genuinely nice guy.

musketeerlady

Postby musketeerlady » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:07 pm

The Dean's form is driving me crazy. SLS seems to be unable to locate it anywhere, even after my dean has sent a regular copy, a FedEx copy (admission said whoever signed for it didn't work for them), and a fax. I submitted at the beginning of October and am still not complete! Does this happen to anyone??

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:08 am

musketeerlady wrote:The Dean's form is driving me crazy. SLS seems to be unable to locate it anywhere, even after my dean has sent a regular copy, a FedEx copy (admission said whoever signed for it didn't work for them), and a fax. I submitted at the beginning of October and am still not complete! Does this happen to anyone??

Ouch, sorry to hear that. It took my school forever, but it eventually got through after 3 weeks.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:36 am

fidesverita wrote:
musketeerlady wrote:The Dean's form is driving me crazy. SLS seems to be unable to locate it anywhere, even after my dean has sent a regular copy, a FedEx copy (admission said whoever signed for it didn't work for them), and a fax. I submitted at the beginning of October and am still not complete! Does this happen to anyone??

Ouch, sorry to hear that. It took my school forever, but it eventually got through after 3 weeks.

Stanford is the only LS to which I applied that required this form. It felt odd getting the Undergraduate Affairs Office to certify it, two buildings away from the Law School. I could have walked over to deliver it myself. :lol:

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:22 pm

managamy wrote:
fidesverita wrote:

Stanford is the only LS to which I applied that required this form. It felt odd getting the Undergraduate Affairs Office to certify it, two buildings away from the Law School. I could have walked over to deliver it myself. :lol:

Hahaha, so true. What year are you, managamy? I seriously considered just dropping it off myself. It would have been way faster, and I nearly had a heart attack when I heard it was going to take more than 2 weeks for it to be processed and mailed.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:24 pm

fidesverita wrote:
Hahaha, so true. What year are you, managamy? I seriously considered just dropping it off myself. It would have been way faster, and I nearly had a heart attack when I heard it was going to take more than 2 weeks for it to be processed and mailed.

2010. Why should it take 2 weeks for it to travel a couple hundred yards to the post office and a couple hundred yards from the post office to the LS? :lol:

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:28 pm

managamy wrote:
fidesverita wrote:

2010. Why should it take 2 weeks for it to travel a couple hundred yards to the post office and a couple hundred yards from the post office to the LS? :lol:

Cool, I'm '08. :) I see you've had a great cycle so far... so congrats! I'm still shocked by your absurdly high GPA?! How on earth did you do that?!

Hopefully with luck, we'll be school mates again!

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:29 pm

managamy wrote:
fidesverita wrote:

Because the administration at our beloved university is a bureaucratic nightmare.

When I went to get my Dean's Certification signed I first went to Sweet Hall. They told me to go to the Registrar. I went to the Registrar and they told me to go to Sweet Hall. It was only because I stumbled on Judicial Affairs that I ended up going to the right place.

EDIT: Deleted some potentially damaging information.

jdcballer

Postby jdcballer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:30 pm

same thing happened to me. just had my dean re-send and fax it over. waiting to hope they actually get it this time...

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:57 am

Omg... this is taking forever. I am so impatient!! :shock:

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:21 am

i got the complete e-mail yesterday even though i submitted about three weeks ago bc le dean's certification just arrived.

Legacy316

Postby Legacy316 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:44 pm

Does anyone know where I can find some hard facts where I can compare Berkeley's employment prospects to Stanford's?

jocelyne

Postby jocelyne » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:47 pm

Last edited by jocelyne on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”