Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
georgina

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby georgina » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:22 pm

catwoman wrote:
managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:Why are you worried about receiving it during a meeting? Surely your co-workers would understand something of the magnitude of an HYS acceptance. You'd be the most popular guy in the office for a while.

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not...

I wasn't being facetious. My general popularity distinctly went up a few notches after receiving acceptances. Nobody minded when I got the UCLA call in the middle of class, after I explained it. I imagine that a Stanford call would be even more acceptable.

Seriously? This is easily one of the strangest posts I've seen. Most of the world has absolutely no interest in SLS or any of our acceptances. Have you considered taking a couple years off to get some perspective on all of this?

lol +1. another excellent post by managamy.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:24 pm

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:Why are you worried about receiving it during a meeting? Surely your co-workers would understand something of the magnitude of an HYS acceptance. You'd be the most popular guy in the office for a while.

I wasn't being facetious. My general popularity distinctly went up a few notches after receiving acceptances. Nobody minded when I got the UCLA call in the middle of class, after I explained it. I imagine that a Stanford call would be even more acceptable.

You're better than this managamy.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:29 pm

My friend Wendi just called. Wendi has a 650 number. We met abroad so I never had her US number. When I saw 650 I seriously took a second and said to myself "oh my god I am actually about to get accepted to Stanford..."

"Hey! It's Wendi, how are you?!"

fail.
Last edited by Shaggier1 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:29 pm

Uh yea... "real world" tends to work by saying: "This guy is more successful than me? Happier than me? He must die! :twisted: "

On another note, didn't realize S set off the same "wow" reaction as H and Y, but it's good if it does.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:42 pm

CordeliusX wrote:

Uh yea... "real world" tends to work by saying: "This guy is more successful than me? Happier than me? He must die! :twisted: "

On another note, didn't realize S set off the same "wow" reaction as H and Y, but it's good if it does.

Outside of the legal world, I don't think that it does, even out here. My sister is a college graduate and a working professional in SF. She has lived in NorCal her entire life. When I mentioned at Christmas that I was really hoping to get into SLS, she responded: "You've been accepted by Cornell. Is there really a chance that Stanford wouldn't accept you?"

She was surprised to learn that Stanford Law is considered on par with Harvard and Yale. She assumed that SLS, along with Berkeley, would be ranked behind Columbia and Cornell. Even on the West Coast, it's difficult to overcome the presumption of Ivy League superiority.

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:42 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:

You're better than this managamy.

no, he really isn't

grrrstick

Postby grrrstick » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Managamy is the greatest flame on this board. Every post just oozes with smugness to such an extent that it just cannot be real.

PapantlaFlyer

Postby PapantlaFlyer » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:50 pm

grrrstick wrote:

Managamy is the greatest flame on this board. Every post just oozes with smugness to such an extent that it just cannot be real.

I really just thing he's a smart, arrogant bastard. If he's a flame though, that would make for an incredibly sad and pathetic person.

tintin

Postby tintin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:17 pm

Dignan wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:

Outside of the legal world, I don't think that it does, even out here. My sister is a college graduate and a working professional in SF. She has lived in NorCal her entire life. When I mentioned at Christmas that I was really hoping to get into SLS, she responded: "You've been accepted by Cornell. Is there really a chance that Stanford wouldn't accept you?"

She was surprised to learn that Stanford Law is considered on par with Harvard and Yale. She assumed that SLS, along with Berkeley, would be ranked behind Columbia and Cornell. Even on the West Coast, it's difficult to overcome the presumption of Ivy League superiority.

West coast people don't really seem to know what's up with law school. No one was that excited when I got into Chicago yesterday (except my mom who grew up there!), and a few days ago someone (who had been in the legal profession at one time) tried to tell me that USF was a better school than berkeley.....I couldn't even touch that one. I don't even bother trying to explain to most people which are considered "good" law schools anymore, actually.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:My friend Wendi just called. Wendi has a 650 number. We met abroad so I never had her US number. When I saw 650 I seriously took a second and said to myself "oh my god I am actually about to get accepted to Stanford..."

fail.

Faye calls from an Unknown Number.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Oh really? That's surprising...

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:29 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Oh really? That's surprising...

Yeah I almost didn't pick up when she called, figuring it was a telemarketer. But I'm glad I did.

Core

Postby Core » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Any admits today?
Also, Managamy rocks.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:34 pm

Core wrote:Any admits today?

Around 9 a.m. this morning, someone reported a 1/15 acceptance on LSN. If that's accurate, it might indicate that Stanford made calls this morning and is now done for the week.

anonymous5042

Postby anonymous5042 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:43 pm

Blargh.

I had my hopes up that today might be the day....I guess there are still a few hours left.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:45 pm

anonymous5042 wrote:Blargh.

I had my hopes up that today might be the day....I guess there are still a few hours left.

There are 5+ hours left on the West Coast.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:16 pm

crackberry wrote:
anonymous5042 wrote:Blargh.

There are 5+ hours left on the West Coast.

There are 1.75 hours left now, but I've given up for the week. I doubt that Dean Faye is going to make calls in the last hour of the day before a long weekend. I'll go have a few drinks and hope for more activity next week.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:03 pm

Core wrote:Any admits today?
Also, Managamy rocks.

Thanks, man. :wink:

I'm no flame, just "a [very] smart, [very] arrogant bastard" (as someone put it earlier) who enjoys writing friendly posts to his friends, unfriendly posts to his enemies, and comic posts to those who amuse him.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:06 pm

nattybro wrote:
rolark wrote:
BenJ wrote:Not quite true. I just had an e-mail correspondence with them the other day. They will consider your file complete as soon as they get a faxed version of the Form B, but they need the original copy of Form B eventually. So your UG can fax them a copy to get your application to complete, then mail the original, which they'll get about a week later.

Yep, I heard the same thing when I called the other day.

Ok thanks, sounds like I can expedite this a little. Anyone happen to have the fax # handy?

650-723-0838

I had to ask them for it via e-mail when I did that, so it's no surprise you couldn't find the fax number. I don't think it's online.

Good luck!

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:24 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:My friend Wendi just called. Wendi has a 650 number. We met abroad so I never had her US number. When I saw 650 I seriously took a second and said to myself "oh my god I am actually about to get accepted to Stanford..."

fail.

That. REALLY. Sucks.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:32 pm

Dignan wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:

Interesting. I'd say I've had quite the opposite experience. I figured only on the east coast would you have ivy league snobbery... but europe has considered it on par at least (from my experience living there) and asia thinks the same.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:36 pm

Dignan wrote:Outside of the legal world, I don't think that it does, even out here. My sister is a college graduate and a working professional in SF. She has lived in NorCal her entire life. When I mentioned at Christmas that I was really hoping to get into SLS, she responded: "You've been accepted by Cornell. Is there really a chance that Stanford wouldn't accept you?"

Really?! I'm from New York City, and I've never met someone who thinks Cornell is even in the same league as Stanford. Granted this would be in reference to UG or maybe to the universities as a whole, but I would think it would hold true for law school as well.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:37 pm

fidesverita wrote:
Interesting. I'd say I've had quite the opposite experience. I figured only on the east coast would you have ivy league snobbery... but europe has considered it on par at least (from my experience living there) and asia thinks the same.

Yes, I think that reactions vary according to the specific context. Certainly, my East Coast friends were not nearly as impressed by S as by H, but the reactions were similar here. A Filipino friend said that S > H in her surroundings, and South American friends said that they considered them roughly equal. Curiously, all said that both H and S > Y. The key may lie in the ARWU rankings, which list Harvard at #1 and Stanford at #2, while Y is outside the top 10; those rankings are highly influential in the international community.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:40 pm

fidesverita wrote:Interesting. I'd say I've had quite the opposite experience. I figured only on the east coast would you have ivy league snobbery... but europe has considered it on par at least (from my experience living there) and asia thinks the same.

The underlined is definitely credited. Educated people in Asia think of Harvard and Stanford as equals - with those two schools above all others in the U.S. (including Yale, Princeton and MIT) at least as far as OVERALL universities go (I have no idea about law schools given that our legal system is so much different than theirs). Obviously part of this is due to Stanford being on the West Coast, and, thus, close to China/Japan.

Also, though, from the sheer number of Asian tourists walking around Stanford campus with SLRs around their necks, you'd think it was Mecca for Asians.

Saya

Postby Saya » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:43 pm

crackberry wrote:Also, though, from the sheer number of Asian tourists walking around Stanford campus with SLRs around their necks, you'd think it was Mecca for Asians.
This is true. :P So true that it's sad. In East Asia, if you say you go to Stanford, you instantly become a celebrity. Same with Harvard. Everything else gets a, "Oh, that's great."

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”