Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crackberry

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Maroon+Cardinal wrote:Hi everyone. I was admitted two years ago, deferred to teach for a couple of years (Teach For America) and I'll be enrolling next fall.

Hey. Check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=99249

chup

Postby chup » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:17 am

Hey all. I'm a kinda-sorta 2L (joint degree). I mostly hang out/lob spitballs in the Lounge, but if I can be of service in answering any questions, ask away or feel free to shoot me a PM.

Congrats to everyone admitted, and good luck to those waiting to hear!

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:00 am

chup wrote:Hey all. I'm a kinda-sorta 2L (joint degree). I mostly hang out/lob spitballs in the Lounge, but if I can be of service in answering any questions, ask away or feel free to shoot me a PM.

Don't have any big questions... other than how's school and what is your joint degree? What area of law are you interested in?

:)

chup

Postby chup » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:13 am

fidesverita wrote:
chup wrote:Hey all. I'm a kinda-sorta 2L (joint degree). I mostly hang out/lob spitballs in the Lounge, but if I can be of service in answering any questions, ask away or feel free to shoot me a PM.

Don't have any big questions... other than how's school and what is your joint degree? What area of law are you interested in?

It's great. I seriously could not have asked for a better experience so far. Approachable and genuinely nice professors, brilliant classmates, a supportive administration, etc. etc. Oh, and I went to the beach in January last year. 8)

My joint degree is a PhD in history, so I'll be around for...awhile. I started out interested in con law and legal history, but a) everyone and their mother wants to do con law, and b) I've become increasingly attracted to antitrust.

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:17 am

chup wrote:
fidesverita wrote:

It's great. I seriously could not have asked for a better experience so far. Approachable and genuinely nice professors, brilliant classmates, a supportive administration, etc. etc. Oh, and I went to the beach in January last year. 8)

My joint degree is a PhD in history, so I'll be around for...awhile. I started out interested in con law and legal history, but a) everyone and their mother wants to do con law, and b) I've become increasingly attracted to antitrust.

Stanford seems to really encourage joint degrees. I'm also thinking about a JD/PhD. Can you say anything about the support the law school was able to offer you in applying to the PhD program (or when/how you entered the program if you didn't apply to the joint degree as a 1L)?

chup

Postby chup » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:30 am

Lysis wrote:Stanford seems to really encourage joint degrees. I'm also thinking about a JD/PhD. Can you say anything about the support the law school was able to offer you in applying to the PhD program (or when/how you entered the program if you didn't apply to the joint degree as a 1L)?

Yeah, Dean Kramer has been pushing the joint degree stuff pretty hard over the last few years, and it shows. There's a very nice blend of formalized, institutional support for the joint programs and individual flexibility. I think they told us at the ASW that Stanford also benefits from being more centrally funded -- i.e., programs don't have to tangle with one another over tuition/funding issues as much because a lot of the money ends up in/comes from the same pot.

I applied to both programs simultaneously, and neither program had an issue with it. The only thing the law school insisted on was that I go through the first year like any normal 1L (so you can learn to "think like a lawyer." If you haven't already been confronted with this phrase a bajillion times, get ready), and then start combining coursework. What that's meant in practice is that this year (my second) is very history heavy, and the third and fourth years will be a more even mix of the two.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:38 pm

chup wrote:Yeah, Dean Kramer has been pushing the joint degree stuff pretty hard over the last few years, and it shows. There's a very nice blend of formalized, institutional support for the joint programs and individual flexibility. I think they told us at the ASW that Stanford also benefits from being more centrally funded -- i.e., programs don't have to tangle with one another over tuition/funding issues as much because a lot of the money ends up in/comes from the same pot.

I applied to both programs simultaneously, and neither program had an issue with it. The only thing the law school insisted on was that I go through the first year like any normal 1L (so you can learn to "think like a lawyer." If you haven't already been confronted with this phrase a bajillion times, get ready), and then start combining coursework. What that's meant in practice is that this year (my second) is very history heavy, and the third and fourth years will be a more even mix of the two.

Wow, thanks for the info. So with most joint degrees, are you encouraged/forced to concentrate on law your first year? Also, do you think the majority of people apply concurrently with law school or during their 1L year?

chup

Postby chup » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:59 pm

crackberry wrote:Wow, thanks for the info. So with most joint degrees, are you encouraged/forced to concentrate on law your first year? Also, do you think the majority of people apply concurrently with law school or during their 1L year?

I was, but I don't think it's the ordering they care about (i.e., year of history then a year of law vs. year of law then a year of history) so much as just making sure that your 1L year isn't divided up. In retrospect, I think they're right. I can't imagine trying to spread the 1L experience across multiple years. I think it's basically the same story for people who come to the law school after having already completed a year or two of the other degree: SLS doesn't when you get that 1L experience, just as long as you get it.

In terms of concurrent applications versus waiting a year or two, I have no idea what the breakdown is. I know another guy from my class doing a PhD in philosophy who applied concurrently like me, but I also know a few MBA students who applied at various stages in their business careers. There's also another joint history student who didn't apply to the PhD program until her 2L year, and I know another guy who applied to MPP programs his 2L year and is currently at Princeton. So it's sort of all over the place (again, hurrah flexibility!). I will say, however, that the earlier you apply to both programs and declare your intentions for the joint degree, the greater the benefits. At least for the PhDs (myself and the ones I've spoken to), the funding situation is unbelievably good... like, nominal to zero debt good. It's not retroactive though, so if you go through 2 years of law school and then apply, you'll get funding from the PhD program but still be on the hook to the law school for those first 2 years. I'm not sure what the story is for joint professional degrees like the JD/MBA, but at the very least you save time by applying to both early and being able to cross-count credits.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:21 pm

Pretty good first half for the Cardinal. Probably should have scored after that blocked punt, but other than that, pretty impressive. Let's hope they can keep it up.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:53 pm

crackberry wrote:Pretty good first half for the Cardinal. Probably should have scored after that blocked punt, but other than that, pretty impressive. Let's hope they can keep it up.

Nice jinx job, friend. :roll:

EDIT: But Arizona already made us look good with their FAIL effort last night.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:56 pm

Stanford needs to unleash their multi-talented weapon. Namely:

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:58 pm

Well, we put up a good fight. Too bad Luck couldn't play. Tavita is awful.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:02 pm

Poor drive by Tavita. Good game though overall; competitive to the end.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:04 pm

Yeah... no Luck is a big problem. It was a fun game to watch though.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:07 pm

GeePee wrote:Yeah... no Luck is a big problem. It was a fun game to watch though.

No Luck = no luck. I thought that he was supposed to be available for substantial minutes.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:05 pm

managamy wrote:
GeePee wrote:Yeah... no Luck is a big problem. It was a fun game to watch though.

No Luck = no luck. I thought that he was supposed to be available for substantial minutes.

That was the report before the game, but I think Harbaugh realized a Sun Bowl victory wasn't worth mortgaging the future of the program. Luck will be a very good quarterback if we can keep getting a solid offensive line. The kid can throw.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:46 pm

crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:

That was the report before the game, but I think Harbaugh realized a Sun Bowl victory wasn't worth mortgaging the future of the program. Luck will be a very good quarterback if we can keep getting a solid offensive line. The kid can throw.

Good point. I'll trade a Sun Bowl this year for a Rose Bowl in two years.

ndnlawdc

Postby ndnlawdc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:05 am

Just FYI, for anyone nervously waiting to hear from SLS:

http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admission ... g-started/

The "SLS is putting more weight on LSAT" rumor isn't true.

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:53 am

Oh nice find! They jumped on the blogging bandwagon pretty late in the cycle, but I'm going to keep close watch of it for all the SLS admissions goodness to come in 2010.

knola002

Postby knola002 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:24 am

ndnlawdc wrote:Just FYI, for anyone nervously waiting to hear from SLS:

http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admission ... g-started/

The "SLS is putting more weight on LSAT" rumor isn't true.
Damnit :(

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:41 am

Didn't they change their published index to weight the LSAT more heavily? I thought that was the basis of the "rumor".

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:26 am

Where would you find the published index?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:20 am

fidesverita wrote:Where would you find the published index?

Somewhere on the LSAC site..if it weren't the most poorly designed site in history, I would just link you, but I can't find it after 15 minutes of searching. Perhaps someone else will be able to find it.

Edit: Aha, found it. I'm not sure if you'll be able to view the link, but here it is: http://os.lsac.org/Release/Share/DisplayPDFs.aspx?type=TRANS&id=INDEX

Stanford's index is: (0.018)(LSAT) + (0.402)(Cum GPA) - 1.172.

I'm not sure what it was before, but I thought I remember people saying that they changed it slightly this year.

knola002

Postby knola002 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:27 pm

They just got my Form B. Phew. Would not have been able to get another one before the deadline (I go to a UC, the bureaucracy is just that slow).

CanadianEH

Postby CanadianEH » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:44 pm

Is it even worth applying to stanford if I don't have targeted LOR's? Its too late in the game for me to get them.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”