Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lysis

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Lysis » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:19 pm

crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:A good reason to consider Chicago. It's odd; I never imagined you as an academic.

I'm not ashamed to say that I heart Berkeley, even as a Stanford undergraduate. Definitely the coolest place in the Bay Area. :wink:

Yeah but I bleed Cardinal red.

Doesn't everyone? :)
I'm with you on the Chicago front, though. I would be very tempted by a serious $$ offer.

duodora

Postby duodora » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:26 am

Dignan wrote:
managamy wrote:
Dignan wrote:According to his LSN profile, he went complete on 11/19. Stanford appears to be moving through chronologically and calling the people who are getting in on the first wave of review. All of the acceptances so far have gone to applicants who are, based on what I can see, highly qualified in one respect or another

Deep. Shocking. Stop the presses.

Ha! I should have qualified my statement. All Stanford acceptances, of course, go to highly qualified applicants. But these early acceptances seem to be going to especially strong applicants, even by Stanford's lofty standards. I suspect that, like some other schools, Stanford is offering early acceptances to its strongest applicants while shuffling some others into a committee review pile. If you're passed over now, you could still be accepted later in the review process.

It looks like they haven't quite gotten to the date on which I went complete yet, so I hold out some hope for a pre-Christmas phone call. But in the end, I would be thrilled to get accepted no matter how or when the decision came.

The nice thing about a school like Stanford--is it doesn't matter when you're admitted, because (afaik) there's no merit aid anyway to be gone by spring ;)

Although I have to admit April would be very frustrating :( I guess especially if I'm going to get rejected, I'd much rather get used to the idea now then be fruitlessly strung along for the next 4 or more months :-\

Havaianas

Postby Havaianas » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:18 pm

uggh yes April would be awful

knola002

Postby knola002 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Found out the other day that they still haven't gotten my Form B. If it is lost in the mail, I may be fucked. It took my school over a month to process the form the first time around, so if they make me do it again I may miss the app deadline. Of all the ways . . .

hopefulincal

Postby hopefulincal » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:57 pm

knola002 wrote:Found out the other day that they still haven't gotten my Form B. If it is lost in the mail, I may be fucked. It took my school over a month to process the form the first time around, so if they make me do it again I may miss the app deadline. Of all the ways . . .

You're not alone. I gave my school the form one month in advance to submitting my application. The school didn't get the form to Stanford until a month AFTER Stanford received my app. Just part of process I guess.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:10 pm

hopefulincal wrote:
knola002 wrote:Found out the other day that they still haven't gotten my Form B. If it is lost in the mail, I may be fucked. It took my school over a month to process the form the first time around, so if they make me do it again I may miss the app deadline. Of all the ways . . .

You're not alone. I gave my school the form one month in advance to submitting my application. The school didn't get the form to Stanford until a month AFTER Stanford received my app. Just part of process I guess.

I called my school up, and I don't think they would've sent it had I not called. They were also way rude to me over the phone.

FZJ80

Postby FZJ80 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:35 am

crackberry wrote:Also, I could NEVER pick Boalt now that I've gotten into Stanford. That would be criminal.

ahh stanford UGs, we make fun of you guys for being close-minded sometimes :lol: i kid of course, i would love to go to SLS. however, then i might risk becoming close-minded :(

Ergh. My app is up to be reviewed soon (as per the completion/acceptance dates thus far) and I am still wondering about sending in some sort of "why stanford" addendum since I did not address that in my original PS. Anyone want to chime in on this idea? Alternative is to send one in if I get WL (if you couldn't tell, I'm a bit nervous here)

Question -- mind me asking, those of you admitted, how many of you had a "why stanford" tone or paragraph in your PS?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:47 am

FZJ80 wrote:
crackberry wrote:Also, I could NEVER pick Boalt now that I've gotten into Stanford. That would be criminal.

ahh stanford UGs, we make fun of you guys for being close-minded sometimes :lol: i kid of course, i would love to go to SLS. however, then i might risk becoming close-minded :(

Ergh. My app is up to be reviewed soon (as per the completion/acceptance dates thus far) and I am still wondering about sending in some sort of "why stanford" addendum since I did not address that in my original PS. Anyone want to chime in on this idea? Alternative is to send one in if I get WL (if you couldn't tell, I'm a bit nervous here)

Question -- mind me asking, those of you admitted, how many of you had a "why stanford" tone or paragraph in your PS?

I sent the generic 2-page PS, but the "why Stanford" component might have been self-evident since I'm one of the UGs mocked above.

You want to seem confident rather than disorganized and desperate; don't send it in until / unless you're WL.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:46 am

FZJ80 wrote:

I had a fairly lengthy (10-12 line) "Why Stanford" paragraph in my PS. My standard two-page PS was size 12 font so for SLS, I changed it to size 11 and added in the extra "Why SLS" paragraph.

That said, I am — as you so kindly note above — a Stanford UG alum, so I don't know if my experience should be used as an example to others.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:54 am

crackberry wrote:
FZJ80 wrote:

I had a fairly lengthy (10-12 line) "Why Stanford" paragraph in my PS. My standard two-page PS was size 12 font so for SLS, I changed it to size 11 and added in the extra "Why SLS" paragraph.

That said, I am — as you so kindly note above — a Stanford UG alum, so I don't know if my experience should be used as an example to others.

Unlike Crackberry, (but like managamy), I didn't write anything about Stanford in my PS. I'm not a Stanford UG, though, nor do I have any ties to the Bay Area.

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:09 pm

Kretzy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
FZJ80 wrote:

Unlike Crackberry, (but like managamy), I didn't write anything about Stanford in my PS. I'm not a Stanford UG, though, nor do I have any ties to the Bay Area.

+1. I sent them lots of good Stanford-specific vibes though, and I think that helped.

md;jdwannabe

Postby md;jdwannabe » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:21 pm

Improve your chances for getting into Stanford by going to the Sun Bowl (El Paso, 12/31) in your best tree costume. Say unsavory things about a certain school in Indiana. Claim to be a former secretary of state's love child. Above all, maintain that you did not crack a book to achieve your 3.87 GPA or a 177 LSAT.
BE THE DUDE!
Stanford Class of 1984

The Dan

Postby The Dan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:24 pm

FZJ80 wrote:
crackberry wrote:Question -- mind me asking, those of you admitted, how many of you had a "why stanford" tone or paragraph in your PS?

I did not. In fact, I didn't even have anything even remotely resembling a "why law" component to my PS.

knola002

Postby knola002 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:05 pm

The Dan wrote:
FZJ80 wrote:
crackberry wrote:Question -- mind me asking, those of you admitted, how many of you had a "why stanford" tone or paragraph in your PS?

I did not. In fact, I didn't even have anything even remotely resembling a "why law" component to my PS.
Ditto . . . then again, mine sucks.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:40 pm

The Dan wrote:
FZJ80 wrote:

Probably not necessary with a 4.0, 180.

FZJ80

Postby FZJ80 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:20 pm

crackberry wrote:
The Dan wrote:
FZJ80 wrote:

lol well put.

crack/manag -- hope my kidding about the "close-mindedness" above was evident, so no hard feelings. TLS is brutal enough to most people, and I'm not trying to create any vendettas, especially with hopeful/future classmates

and sigh. just post-application regret i think regarding the PS, wishing i had customized it more so for SLS. at least this way I can have ammo leftover for a WL or LOCI

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:52 pm

FZJ80 wrote:crack/manag -- hope my kidding about the "close-mindedness" above was evident, so no hard feelings. TLS is brutal enough to most people, and I'm not trying to create any vendettas, especially with hopeful/future classmates

and sigh. just post-application regret i think regarding the PS, wishing i had customized it more so for SLS. at least this way I can have ammo leftover for a WL or LOCI

Haha no problem dude. I like to think of myself as among the more sarcastic people on TLS, so if I can dish it out, I've got to be able to take it as well.

Dry humor FTW.

The Dan

Postby The Dan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:41 pm

crackberry wrote:
The Dan wrote:
FZJ80 wrote:

Maybe, but I felt very good about my PS. I think it is possible to write one effectively without addressing "why x school" or "why law". Most schools prompt you by saying they want you to say something about yourself, whatever you want that to be. I took the openness and ran with it.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:48 pm

The Dan wrote:Maybe, but I felt very good about my PS. I think it is possible to write one effectively without addressing "why x school" or "why law". Most schools prompt you by saying they want you to say something about yourself, whatever you want that to be. I took the openness and ran with it.

As did I for every school but Stanford and Berkeley. But I don't have your numbers, so we'll see. I've done alright so far so I guess your theory could be right.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:11 pm

crackberry wrote:
The Dan wrote:Maybe, but I felt very good about my PS. I think it is possible to write one effectively without addressing "why x school" or "why law". Most schools prompt you by saying they want you to say something about yourself, whatever you want that to be. I took the openness and ran with it.

As did I for every school but Stanford and Berkeley. But I don't have your numbers, so we'll see. I've done alright so far so I guess your theory could be right.

My PS directly addressed the "why law" issue and I've also done well thus far in the cycle, so I suspect that there are many viable ways to construct a PS.

I'm not at all offended by the comments about Stanford UGs, especially since I'm leaning towards turning down SLS for HLS anyway. During my time on TLS, I've been the target for a lot of humor, most of it much more vicious than the remarks above. :wink:

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:28 pm

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:

My PS directly addressed the "why law" issue and I've also done well thus far in the cycle, so I suspect that there are many viable ways to construct a PS.

I'm not at all offended by the comments about Stanford UGs, especially since I'm leaning towards turning down SLS for HLS anyway. During my time on TLS, I've been the target for a lot of humor, most of it much more vicious than the remarks above. :wink:

managamy, i'm with you on tending towards HLS over SLS...and the funny thing is, having visited both schools more than once, i feel there is much more of a public interest vibe at HLS. anyone who has a sense of Stanford's PI strengths, please PM me or reply to this thread!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:36 pm

lawyering wrote:
managamy, i'm with you on tending towards HLS over SLS...and the funny thing is, having visited both schools more than once, i feel there is much more of a public interest vibe at HLS. anyone who has a sense of Stanford's PI strengths, please PM me or reply to this thread!

The bolded statement is indisputable. If you're committed to PI, you should start looking for housing in Cambridge. :D HLS is the gold standard for it.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:43 pm

managamy wrote:
lawyering wrote:

The bolded statement is indisputable. If you're committed to PI, you should start looking for housing in Cambridge. :D HLS is the gold standard for it.

SO glad that's your sense too!!! Almost ALL of the HLS vs. SLS posts I've seen have declared SLS to be the PI haven. I thought I was missing something. I'm sure they both have excellent opportunities...but the idea that HLS is only big law just doesn't jive with my experiences.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:57 pm

lawyering wrote:
managamy wrote:
lawyering wrote:

SO glad that's your sense too!!! Almost ALL of the HLS vs. SLS posts I've seen have declared SLS to be the PI haven. I thought I was missing something. I'm sure they both have excellent opportunities...but the idea that HLS is only big law just doesn't jive with my experiences.

Folks on TLS would never act reductionist. Never ever. :D

The diversity of former graduate PI experiences afforded by a class that is 3x larger than Stanford or Yale really can't be discounted. HLS has a phenomenal PI network to build from (as do the other two, obviously), but yeah, I don't understand why everyone insists that each school has one (or two) typical career paths.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:18 am

Kretzy wrote:Folks on TLS would never act reductionist. Never ever. :D

The diversity of former graduate PI experiences afforded by a class that is 3x larger than Stanford or Yale really can't be discounted. HLS has a phenomenal PI network to build from (as do the other two, obviously), but yeah, I don't understand why everyone insists that each school has one (or two) typical career paths.

First of all, both HLS and SLS are phenomenal for PI work. If you want to do PI on the West Coast, SLS is just as good as HLS, no question about it.

Also, Kretzy's point about HLS' class size shouldn't be understated. Of course there are more folks doing PI out of HLS than SLS - the class is 3 times bigger!

Honestly, the truth is that above-median graduates of HYS can really do pretty much whatever they want except clerk for the Supreme Court (a role seemingly filled by Top 10% YLS and Top 5% HLS/SLS students).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”