Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crackberry

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:04 pm

gotmilk? wrote:
fidesverita wrote:
protokurios wrote:Already happened. ;) Not me, but someone we all know.

Whoa, really? I've been glued to the LSN graph.. and all i see is 170+! Any chance that person was URM?

nope. twas crackberry. 169. but it says 170 on lsn.

Yeah I actually have two LSAT scores, both below 170 (161 and 169). I've got a high GPA from Stanford UG (3.92) and what are apparently above average softs.

The Dan

Postby The Dan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:22 pm

Just got in! :mrgreen: The phone call was at 11am EST. Faye Deal is really nice on the phone, and actually struck up a brief conversation about finals ending and winter break.

rolark

Postby rolark » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:00 pm

I'm joining all of you! Stanford is the longest of the many hail marys I'm throwing this cycle, but I'd be regretting it forever if I didn't at least try.

Congratulations to all the acceptances so far and good luck to everyone else!

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:32 pm

The Dan wrote:Just got in! :mrgreen: The phone call was at 11am EST. Faye Deal is really nice on the phone, and actually struck up a brief conversation about finals ending and winter break.

Hey Dan, do you know when you went complete?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:37 pm

fidesverita wrote:
The Dan wrote:Just got in! :mrgreen: The phone call was at 11am EST. Faye Deal is really nice on the phone, and actually struck up a brief conversation about finals ending and winter break.

According to his LSN profile, he went complete on 11/19. Stanford appears to be moving through chronologically and calling the people who are getting in on the first wave of review. All of the acceptances so far have gone to applicants who are, based on what I can see, highly qualified in one respect or another.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:40 pm

Dignan wrote:
fidesverita wrote:

According to his LSN profile, he went complete on 11/19. Stanford appears to be moving through chronologically and calling the people who are getting in on the first wave of review. All of the acceptances so far have gone to applicants who are, based on what I can see, highly qualified in one respect or another.[/quote]

Deep. Shocking. Stop the presses.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:48 pm

managamy wrote:
Dignan wrote:According to his LSN profile, he went complete on 11/19. Stanford appears to be moving through chronologically and calling the people who are getting in on the first wave of review. All of the acceptances so far have gone to applicants who are, based on what I can see, highly qualified in one respect or another

Deep. Shocking. Stop the presses.

Ha! I should have qualified my statement. All Stanford acceptances, of course, go to highly qualified applicants. But these early acceptances seem to be going to especially strong applicants, even by Stanford's lofty standards. I suspect that, like some other schools, Stanford is offering early acceptances to its strongest applicants while shuffling some others into a committee review pile. If you're passed over now, you could still be accepted later in the review process.

It looks like they haven't quite gotten to the date on which I went complete yet, so I hold out some hope for a pre-Christmas phone call. But in the end, I would be thrilled to get accepted no matter how or when the decision came.
Last edited by Dignan on Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:51 pm

Dignan wrote:
Ha! I should have qualified my statement. All Stanford acceptances, of course, go to highly qualified applicants. But these early acceptances seem to be going to especially strong applicants, even by Stanford's lofty standards. I suspect that, like some other schools, Stanford is offering early acceptances to its strongest applicants while shuffling some others into a committee review pile. If you're passed over now, you could still be accepted later in the review process.

It looks like they haven't quite gotten to the date on which I went complete yet, so I am hold out some hope for a pre-Christmas phone call. But in the end, I would be thrilled to get accepted no matter how or when the decision came.

Glad to hear someone make this comment. There are other TLS-ers out there who take offense if they get emailed instead of called on the phone, or if they don't get in on the very first day of notifications.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:04 pm

I wouldn't say that people get offended if they haven't been called on the first round of acceptances, it's just that the anticipation and wait suck. Plus knowing you weren't called immediately means that you weren't their first first choice.

But ditto...

An acceptance now or later is always welcome!

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:10 pm

The thing about Stanford is if that last year, the people that were early applicants but weren't accepted in December waited until April.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:12 pm

VoidSix wrote:The thing about Stanford is if that last year, the people that were early applicants but weren't accepted in December waited until April.

Interesting. What was "early"? Before October 15? Before Thanksgiving?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:13 pm

Dignan wrote:
VoidSix wrote:The thing about Stanford is if that last year, the people that were early applicants but weren't accepted in December waited until April.

Interesting. What was "early"? Before October 15? Before Thanksgiving?

Early for me was 11/11 completion.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:14 pm

Uh, I think just early enough to potentially be in the first wave. So probably before December. Some people heard back in January or a little earlier as well, but a lot of people were extremely irritated with how long it took them to hear back from Stanford.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:15 pm

I'm in today too!! Dean Faye Deal is very, very nice.

My app was received 11/6 and went complete on 11/19.
170, 3.97, WE

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:16 pm

Wow, I didn't know that fact, V6. I'm very glad that I decided to submit earlier rather than wait for another LOR, since it's important to have time to carefuly consider one's options.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:28 pm

Based on LSN, Stanford has accepted more people this December than last. At this point in 2008, there were 7 acceptances; in 2009, there are already 18. Although a bit of that bump could be explained by an increase in the percentage of applicants who use LSN, it seems likely that Stanford admissions is being a little more aggressive with its acceptances this year.

I also noticed that Stanford did not offer acceptances on the week of Christmas last year. (In 2008, the last offer was on Friday, December 17.) If they do the same this year, then we're not going to see anymore acceptances until January.

Update: Via twitter, Stanford Law will be closed next week. So, unless Dean Deal spends the last few minutes of her day making phone calls, Stanford is done for the year.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:05 pm

Dignan wrote:
fidesverita wrote:

According to his LSN profile, he went complete on 11/19. Stanford appears to be moving through chronologically and calling the people who are getting in on the first wave of review. All of the acceptances so far have gone to applicants who are, based on what I can see, highly qualified in one respect or another.

Let's not go that far...I'm still waiting for Dean Deal to take it back.

Excited to meet you all in a few months! 90% sure I'll be attending :)

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:06 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Dignan wrote:
fidesverita wrote:

Let's not go that far...I'm still waiting to Dean Deal to take it back.

Excited to meet you all in a few months! 90% sure I'll be attending :)

Yale being the other 10%? Anyone else care to give current percentages?

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:47 pm

Well... since there will be no news for another 3 weeks, it's a good time to take a break from TLS and stop being neurotic.

Actually scratch that. I'll take a break from TLS, but I'll still be crazy neurotic the whole time.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:29 pm

managamy wrote:Yale being the other 10%? Anyone else care to give current percentages?

98 percent here. I'll give Yale 1.5 percent and serious $$ at Chicago 0.5 percent.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:35 pm

crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:Yale being the other 10%? Anyone else care to give current percentages?

98 percent here. I'll give Yale 1.5 percent and serious $$ at Chicago 0.5 percent.

Why does Chicago get more love than Boalt? Personal connections?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:38 pm

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:

No, I'm giving serious thought to academia and Chicago is the best non-HYS school for that. Also, I could NEVER pick Boalt now that I've gotten into Stanford. That would be criminal.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:47 pm

crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:

No, I'm giving serious thought to academia and Chicago is the best non-HYS school for that. Also, I could NEVER pick Boalt now that I've gotten into Stanford. That would be criminal.

A good reason to consider Chicago. It's odd; I never imagined you as an academic.

I'm not ashamed to say that I heart Berkeley, even as a Stanford undergraduate. Definitely the coolest place in the Bay Area. :wink:

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:50 pm

managamy wrote:A good reason to consider Chicago. It's odd; I never imagined you as an academic.

I'm not ashamed to say that I heart Berkeley, even as a Stanford undergraduate. Definitely the coolest place in the Bay Area. :wink:

Yeah but I bleed Cardinal red.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:54 pm

crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:

No, I'm giving serious thought to academia and Chicago is the best non-HYS school for that.

Mine isn't even percentages; 90% is my way of saying "I'm pretty damn positive I'll be at SLS." A chance to have class with Pam Karlan or Kathleen Sullivan? *swoon*

I'll visit Berkeley and UVA (again) to be sure, along with Chicago if I get in.

On the off-chance each Yale professor who reads my application loves zombie films (the topic of my 250) and I get in, then I'd probably drop everything and head to New Haven.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”