Stanford 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thorntll

Bronze

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Post by thorntll » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:35 pm

Right, I know I can stay on the waitlist. That's why I'd like them to waitlist me before I have to make my deposit to Chicago.

From the Commitment Response Form:

"The Law School has a policy that applicants should have, at any time, only one deposit or letter of intent to enroll at a law school unless there are extenuating circumstances that prevent the applicant from making a decision among outstanding offers of admission. When you reserve a seat in the Class of 2013, we request that you withdraw any deposits or commitments to attend any other law school and withdraw any outstanding applications for which you have not received a decision. You are not required to remove your name from waitlists at other law schools."

mochafury

Bronze

Post by mochafury » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:27 pm

My bad, I figured you were already on the WL. This is trickier...

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:23 pm

Just withdrew my deposit. They said they would refund a portion of it, but couldn’t tell me how much.

One of the hardest things that I’ve ever had to do. Stanford was my first choice coming into the cycle, but a bunch of factors have led me to take Harvard.

Best of luck to you all.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:31 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:Just withdrew my deposit. They said they would refund a portion of it, but couldn’t tell me how much.

One of the hardest things that I’ve ever had to do. Stanford was my first choice coming into the cycle, but a bunch of factors have led me to take Harvard.

Best of luck to you all.
Damn dude. Thought for sure you'd pick Stanford. Best of luck to you at Harvard, though.

NightHooded

New

Post by NightHooded » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:59 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:Just withdrew my deposit. They said they would refund a portion of it, but couldn’t tell me how much.

Best of luck to you all.
Just curious - what factors??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:03 pm

crackberry wrote:

Best of luck to you all.
Damn dude. Thought for sure you'd pick Stanford. Best of luck to you at Harvard, though.
To be honest, the biggest factor that pushed me toward Harvard was my parents. They’re going to be paying pretty much the full cost of my education (i.e. I won’t have to take out any loans) and they REALLY wanted me to take Harvard. They’re from abroad (one from Middle East, one from France), so for them Harvard is like the best school in the world by a huge margin.

So, basically, what it came down to was the fact that I’m dealing with two schools that are extremely similar in terms of post-graduation opportunities, so, despite the fact that I liked Stanford’s culture/smaller class size/location better, I decided that, since it meant so much to my parents (and trust me, it did), I’d just go ahead and take Harvard. That coupled with the fact that I might be interested in entering some non-legal field at some point in the future (where the lay prestige associated with the Harvard name would end up being an advantage) pretty much did it for me.

But trust me, it was an agonizing decision that was tremendously difficult to make. Though I’m very happy with the decision I’ve made, I know in my heart of hearts that I would have taken Stanford if it weren’t for my parents’ influence. Anyway, wish we could have been classmates, but wish you all the best, man!

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:12 pm

NightHooded wrote:

Best of luck to you all.
Just curious - what factors??
-Parents' pressure was the biggest factor (see post above....they're from abroad...Harvard is hands down number one in their eyes)
-Interested in pursuing non-legal career paths at some point in the future…Harvard Law’s name can’t be beat outside the legal world
-Not exactly sure what type of law I’d like to get into after graduation, so Harvard’s larger class size (i.e. more classes, professors, clinics, journals, student orgs, etc.) will hopefully help me decide
-Although I’m fairly certain that I’d like to practice in CA after graduation (and most likely, the Bay Area, in fact), I’m still not absolutely positive, and I think Harvard would carry me a bit further out West than Stanford would out East.

NightHooded

New

Post by NightHooded » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:30 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote: To be honest, the biggest factor that pushed me toward Harvard was my parents. They’re going to be paying pretty much the full cost of my education (i.e. I won’t have to take out any loans) and they REALLY wanted me to take Harvard.
Damn. Well normally I would say you have to make your own choices but if they're paying for it, that's a pretty big motivating factor.

Still, I find it hard to believe Stanford is so much behind Harvard in opening doors outside of law. FWIW I've heard of Stanford being more revered in some circles (mainly techies). I mean it's "Stanford" - not Michigan or NYU (great schools but the name doesn't have that ring to it)

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:23 am

mochafury wrote:My bad, I figured you were already on the WL. This is trickier...
Sigh. I guess I'll have to call today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mochafury

Bronze

Post by mochafury » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:23 pm

thorntll: Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:53 pm

I called but no one picked up. My heart was beating out of chest - I hate calling admissions people. Do they have a reputation for being nice?

theadw

Bronze

Post by theadw » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:12 pm

thorntll wrote:I called but no one picked up. My heart was beating out of chest - I hate calling admissions people. Do they have a reputation for being nice?
Everyone at Stanford has been outlandishly nice to me during the whole process.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:13 pm

theadw wrote:
thorntll wrote:I called but no one picked up. My heart was beating out of chest - I hate calling admissions people. Do they have a reputation for being nice?
Everyone at Stanford has been outlandishly nice to me during the whole process.
Seconded. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:35 pm

I called. The woman was very nice.

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Sat May 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Stannnnfooooooorrrddd!

Finally decided!

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat May 01, 2010 9:58 pm

If anyone would not mind critiquing my final LOCI, please PM me. Thanks!

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Sun May 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Sure Core, send it along.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pandaexpress

New

Post by pandaexpress » Mon May 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Hey, I just wanted to link to a thread about visiting Stanford. Does anyone here think that visiting might help/hurt my WL status? Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I would like any advice.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=116559

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Mon May 03, 2010 12:48 pm

pandaexpress wrote:Hey, I just wanted to link to a thread about visiting Stanford. Does anyone here think that visiting might help/hurt my WL status? Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I would like any advice.

I find it difficult to believe that visiting would hurt your chances, unless you make a horrible gaffe or have difficulty expressing your passions and character through conversation. If you are comfortable and shine during sit-down chats and could get some face time with Faye, I'd consider it. Do you know anyone at Stanford? It would be nice to have more than one reason to visit, and would provide some cover if you're asked "So, what brings you to town?"

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:55 pm

Just withdrew!

Ugh, NOT an easy decision. ><

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:57 pm

ConMan345 wrote:Just withdrew!

Ugh, NOT an easy decision. ><
So you decided on HLS?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:57 pm

Indeed, indeed.

pandaexpress

New

Post by pandaexpress » Mon May 03, 2010 1:22 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
pandaexpress wrote:Hey, I just wanted to link to a thread about visiting Stanford. Does anyone here think that visiting might help/hurt my WL status? Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I would like any advice.

I find it difficult to believe that visiting would hurt your chances, unless you make a horrible gaffe or have difficulty expressing your passions and character through conversation. If you are comfortable and shine during sit-down chats and could get some face time with Faye, I'd consider it. Do you know anyone at Stanford? It would be nice to have more than one reason to visit, and would provide some cover if you're asked "So, what brings you to town?"
Haha, I guess I was thinking that seeming too creepy/stalker-ish would be a negative of visiting.

I do have a few friends at Stanford, and I was thinking about going during the week after memorial day (so I guess "visiting friends" could sound legitimate as an answer to that question). Do you think it's possible to get some face-time with Faye or someone else in the office? Should I just email them and ask for it?

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Mon May 03, 2010 2:23 pm

pandaexpress wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:

Haha, I guess I was thinking that seeming too creepy/stalker-ish would be a negative of visiting.

I do have a few friends at Stanford, and I was thinking about going during the week after memorial day (so I guess "visiting friends" could sound legitimate as an answer to that question). Do you think it's possible to get some face-time with Faye or someone else in the office? Should I just email them and ask for it?
I would e-mail her and ask for her 5 or 10 minutes of her time. Remind her you are on the waitlist, will be in town to visit from friends, and would love to introduce yourself. Worst case scenario: she says no and you're on her radar a bit more.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Thu May 13, 2010 11:46 am

I hope the waitlist sees more action than this thread :).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”