Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jasmoon

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby jasmoon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:02 pm

Haha...I didn't apply, so I don't think that would work out :(

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:07 am

I think the first deposit deadline is 5/3. When do you guys think they will start reviewing waitlisters again? Right after the first deposit or in the beginning of June? I skimmed through last year's Stanford thread, and some people where saying that they believed waitlisters were not reviewed before June. I called admissions and the best they could tell me was "not before 5/15."
Last edited by doinmybest on Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:59 pm

doinmybest wrote:I think the first deposit deadline is 5/1 right? When do you guys think they will start reviewing waitlisters again? Right after the first deposit or in the beginning of June? I skimmed through last year's Stanford thread, and some people where saying that they believed waitlisters were not reviewed before June. I called admissions and the best they could tell me was "not before 5/15."

Did they tell you where you were on the waitlist? I want to call and ask but I am waiting to receive the official letter in the mail. I haven't gotten it yet, but admissions told me I was on it. Does it say in the letter how they process their waitlist?

parker09

Postby parker09 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:10 pm

Hey-O wrote:Did they tell you where you were on the waitlist? I want to call and ask but I am waiting to receive the official letter in the mail. I haven't gotten it yet, but admissions told me I was on it. Does it say in the letter how they process their waitlist?

Unranked, and vague about timeline.

"We have not ranked our wait list for various reasons. Among them is the fact that our need to have what we regard as a balanced class makes whom we admit from the waiting list depend upon which of our admitted students decides not to attend."

Later: "...your application will be reviewed at regular intervals, and you will be informed promptly of any change in your status."

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:15 pm

parker09 wrote:
Hey-O wrote:Did they tell you where you were on the waitlist? I want to call and ask but I am waiting to receive the official letter in the mail. I haven't gotten it yet, but admissions told me I was on it. Does it say in the letter how they process their waitlist?

Unranked, and vague about timeline.

"We have not ranked our wait list for various reasons. Among them is the fact that our need to have what we regard as a balanced class makes whom we admit from the waiting list depend upon which of our admitted students decides not to attend."

Later: "...your application will be reviewed at regular intervals, and you will be informed promptly of any change in your status."

Do you think it is true that have an unranked list or do they just say that to keep people from asking where they are on the list?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:16 pm

FYI - deposit deadline is May 3, not May 1.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:19 pm

Hey-O wrote:Do you think it is true that have an unranked list or do they just say that to keep people from asking where they are on the list?

I believe the "balanced class" argument, since their class size is tiny; I could see why they'd want to wait to see which type of admitted kids don't attend, and then replace them with similar types. (...but this is totally unfounded speculation.)

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:20 pm

parker09 wrote:
Hey-O wrote:Do you think it is true that have an unranked list or do they just say that to keep people from asking where they are on the list?

I believe the "balanced class" argument, since their class size is tiny; I could see why they'd want to wait to see which type of admitted kids don't attend, and then replace them with similar types. (...but this is totally unfounded speculation.)

I wish I knew where to go to get more information about this.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:30 pm

WL today. Not sure when letter was dated since I'm in Chicago right now... Apparently they sent it to my old address so it may have been sent quite a few days ago.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:31 am

crackberry wrote:FYI - deposit deadline is May 3, not May 1.

Thanks for the correction. I think I saw the May 1st deadline in a 2009 thread.

Hey-O wrote:
parker09 wrote:

I wish I knew where to go to get more information about this.

When I called they could only say that they do not rank the list, and that they review you multiple times before making a final decision. Thats all I could squeeze out of them.

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:17 pm

all I can say is I hope they process the waitlist faster than they processed our applications the first run through.

I must say the waitlist letter, even though not an acceptance, made me feel quite good. With the whole "although we cannot offer you an acceptance currently, we view your application very highly...". Perhaps all the waitlist letters are like this, I'm not sure, but this one made me not feel like a complete failure.

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:23 pm

just withdrew. still no decision from them, but since they are done accepting and even if admitted i'd go to harvard, i figured there was no reason to see whether they liked me enough for a WL. best of luck to those still waiting! if any of y'all in this thread end up at HLS, i'll see you there in the fall.

adameus

Postby adameus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:45 pm

owhlcn wrote:just withdrew. still no decision from them, but since they are done accepting and even if admitted i'd go to harvard, i figured there was no reason to see whether they liked me enough for a WL. best of luck to those still waiting! if any of y'all in this thread end up at HLS, i'll see you there in the fall.

I'll probably be seeing you there.

saxamaflob

Postby saxamaflob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:54 pm

I hope it won't upset anyone if I ask a comparative question: how would you compare SLS and HLS for cyberlaw, intellectual property, and (more generally) law & technology in general? I'm really torn. I know that Leiter puts HLS before SLS in terms of faculty quality for cyberlaw/intellectual property, but I wonder if USNews might be more on target when it puts SLS above HLS for the overall strength of the intellectual property program.

It seems to me that if anyone could choose SLS over HLS for anything other than location and size (which are purely matters of personal preference), one really good reason would be the breadth and strength of its interdisciplinary program in technology (specifically, computer science) & law.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:00 pm

saxamaflob wrote:I hope it won't upset anyone if I ask a comparative question: how would you compare SLS and HLS for cyberlaw, intellectual property, and (more generally) law & technology in general? I'm really torn. I know that Leiter puts HLS before SLS in terms of faculty quality for cyberlaw/intellectual property, but I wonder if USNews might be more on target when it puts SLS above HLS for the overall strength of the intellectual property program.

It seems to me that if anyone could choose SLS over HLS for anything other than location and size (which are purely matters of personal preference), one really good reason would be the breadth and strength of its interdisciplinary program in technology (specifically, computer science) & law.

You should take this with a grain of salt because I'm a huge Stanford fan, but it seems to me if you're interested in IP and cyber stuff, you'd be sort of foolish to go to HLS over SLS. Stanford is in the heart of Silicon Valley, while Harvard is 3,000 miles away.

And if you're interested in taking classes in other departments (CS, etc.), you should almost for sure go to Stanford. From what I can tell, it is easier to do a joint degree at Stanford than at Harvard and the integration of other departments with the law school is more seamless at SLS than it is at HLS (this could be a function of SLS being smaller). Plus, Stanford's CS department is much, much better than Harvard's.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:13 pm

saxamaflob wrote:I hope it won't upset anyone if I ask a comparative question: how would you compare SLS and HLS for cyberlaw, intellectual property, and (more generally) law & technology in general? I'm really torn. I know that Leiter puts HLS before SLS in terms of faculty quality for cyberlaw/intellectual property, but I wonder if USNews might be more on target when it puts SLS above HLS for the overall strength of the intellectual property program.

I'm not going to Stanford (wasn't accepted), but I have a strong interest in law and technology. I've contacted several lawyers and law professors--on both coasts--over the past two weeks. More than one person advised me that, if I have an interest in law and technology and working in California, I should pick Berkeley over Harvard. (One of the lawyers who suggested this was a HLS grad.) I am sure they would have said the same thing about Stanford relative to Harvard.

By the way, do you have a link to the Leiter study that ranks faculty quality in cyberlaw/IP? I can't find it on his site.

saxamaflob

Postby saxamaflob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:18 pm

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:21 pm

You really can't find a better pair of schools for IP law than Stanford and Berkeley. They have the most prominent professors, access to the Silicon Valley, and more students interested in cyberlaw & IP (you can bounce ideas around).

That being said, no one would call you a fool for picking Harvard over Stanford. Both schools are wonderful, and your career prospects will be the same from both.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:23 pm

saxamaflob wrote:Best faculties (all areas): http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... polls.html

Interesting. I bet that HLS stealing Lessig is what helped them leapfrog SLS in those rankings. I still think Crackberry's point about SLS's location is important to keep in mind.

Off-topic comment: Poor Northwestern. They really get beat up in these kinds of surveys.
Last edited by Dignan on Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:26 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:

You really can't find a better pair of schools for IP law than Stanford and Berkeley. They have the most prominent professors, access to the Silicon Valley, and more students interested in cyberlaw & IP (you can bounce ideas around).

That being said, no one would call you a fool for picking Harvard over Stanford. Both schools are wonderful, and your career prospects will be the same from both.

It's a very difficult decision and one that I debated for months. In the end, I think that lifestyle preferences and long-term goals were the keys to my choice more than current interests and specific specialties.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:35 pm

I have a question: why does everyone give such credence to Brian Leiter? It doesn't take a genius to figure out that someone who teaches at a specific law school should not be trusted to produce objective rankings about law schools. He doesn't even try to hide his Chicago trolling. How have people not figured out that his "rankings" are really just some ploy to make Chicago (and, thus, HIMSELF) look better?

We want to be lawyers. We should be wary of conflicts of interest of all kinds, let alone ones that are this freaking obvious.

saxamaflob

Postby saxamaflob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:40 pm

crackberry wrote:I have a question: why does everyone give such credence to Brian Leiter? It doesn't take a genius to figure out that someone who teaches at a specific law school should not be trusted to produce objective rankings about law schools. He doesn't even try to hide his Chicago trolling. How have people not figured out that his "rankings" are really just some ploy to make Chicago (and, thus, HIMSELF) look better?

We want to be lawyers. We should be wary of conflicts of interest of all kinds, let alone ones that are this freaking obvious.

Except that the rankings are a poll of the general audience and should not, a priori, reflect any bias on the part of the pollster…

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:44 pm

crackberry wrote:I have a question: why does everyone give such credence to Brian Leiter? It doesn't take a genius to figure out that someone who teaches at a specific law school should not be trusted to produce objective rankings about law schools. He doesn't even try to hide his Chicago trolling. How have people not figured out that his "rankings" are really just some ploy to make Chicago (and, thus, HIMSELF) look better?

I don't necessarily give a lot of credence to Brian Leiter, but he is open about his methods. I find his rankings to be generally more detailed and useful than the USNWR rankings. I don't agree with everything he does--I think his "student quality" rankings are downright sillly--but he at least makes it easy for you to understand his criteria and evaluate his conclusions accordingly.

As for the charge that Leiter is just trolling for his law school, Leiter answered that in a TLS interview. I found his defense fairly persuasive. Here's the interview:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/brian-le ... rview.html

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Yeah, I don't know. Pollsters always ask slanted questions designed to produce certain responses. That's like Politics 101. I imagine Leiter could do the same if he wanted to. I know Chicago is a great school. I actually think in many ways it is a Top 4 school, and I would have gone there over NYU or Columbia (despite being from NYC) almost for sure, but I just think it is always suspiciously high in his rankings.

saxamaflob

Postby saxamaflob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:12 pm

crackberry wrote:Yeah, I don't know. Pollsters always ask slanted questions designed to produce certain responses. That's like Politics 101. I imagine Leiter could do the same if he wanted to. I know Chicago is a great school. I actually think in many ways it is a Top 4 school, and I would have gone there over NYU or Columbia (despite being from NYC) almost for sure, but I just think it is always suspiciously high in his rankings.

He could of course ask slanted questions… except that you can read the questions yourself: they're just lists of faculty members submitted by his readers. He's rating pure lists of faculty members without any school affiliation listed.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”