Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Core

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Core » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:48 pm

jasmoon wrote:
Core wrote:
jasmoon wrote:I am with similar stats. Are you going to ride it out Core?

Yup. You? Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Yea, at least for a while. Stanford's your first choice, right?

HLS and SLS are tied for that honor.
You? What other schools are you leaning toward?

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:48 pm

adameus wrote:Got my WL in the mail yesterday, it was dated April 12. I guess it took a little while to arrive in Canada.
I'm going to stick it out for a while but I'm not sure how long. Boston is a long way from Palo Alto so its hard to plan for one while being tentative about the other.

Sorry guy. Hopefully the prediction that SLS admits a lot of folks from the waitlist will ring true. Good luck :)

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:49 pm

I wonder if its a good thing to still be in the dark......I haven't heard of her making any calls anytime recently....

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:59 pm

doinmybest wrote:
theadw wrote:
doinmybest wrote:Waitlisted yesterday. I’m wondering how I should approach this... I'm definitely going to send a LOCI about some interesting stuff I've been doing. I want to try to visit, but it’s tough since I live on the east coast and work full-time. Stanford would be huge, so I'd definitely do all I could to make time to visit. I was wondering if I should send in a LOCI now, then visit, and then send in another LOCI about my visit. What do you guys think? Is that overkill? Should I even bother to get a recommendation from my employer or are they only interested in academic recommendations? My work experience is kinda interesting and I'll probably talk about it in a LOCI. Thanks guys! Congrats to everyone that was admitted, and good luck to all other fellow WL'ers!

I know that it's a different school & all, but I suspect that the same principle applies.

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... alker.aspx

Thanks that blog was very helpful. So maybe I should wait until after my visit to submit 1 LOCI? According to this Yale blog, I shouldn't send in any additional recs that are not academic. Can anyone confirm that this is the way Stanford feels as well?

Can't necessarily confirm it, but when I asked the admissions office if it would be appropriate to submit an additional LOR, they said yes. Since it'll take 2-3 weeks for an LOR to get processed anyway, I don't see another academic LOR as pestering.

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:05 pm

For those on the waitlist. do you know if you have to submit the form they sent with the WL or can you email them to say you would like to remain on the WL?

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:32 pm

they've been so quiet

buzal3

Postby buzal3 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:40 pm

Illijah wrote:they've been so quiet

That's because they are done with acceptances as explicitly stated in the WL letter. When I called they were finishing up last batch of waistlists and inferring from the fact that acceptances are done, the rest will be rejections. I would expect most of the rejection notices to be sent out the latter half of this week through next monday.

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:43 pm

buzal3 wrote:

That's because they are done with acceptances as explicitly stated in the WL letter. When I called they were finishing up last batch of waistlists and inferring from the fact that acceptances are done, the rest will be rejections. I would expect most of the rejection notices to be sent out the latter half of this week through next monday.

wow really?

Now i have to call and see whats up.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:44 pm

buzal3 wrote:

+1.

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:47 pm

Called.

Decision mailed April 15th.....i think thats rejection?

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:50 pm

Are they done waitlisting people?

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:51 pm

Illijah wrote:Called.

Decision mailed April 15th.....i think thats rejection?

When I called they told me I was WL. I didn't even ask them. I just asked if a decision had been made on my file and she volunteered. But I still haven't received the WL in the mail, and I think she said the 15th. Maybe it was the 12th? One of those two. So if you haven't received anything yet doesn't mean that it is a rejection.

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:53 pm

okay i checked LSN and most 4/15 decisions were waitlists

Core

Postby Core » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:55 pm

Illijah wrote:okay i checked LSN and most 4/15 decisions were waitlists

Sorry :(
They also told me I was offered a spot on the waitlist when I called.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:20 pm

Core wrote:

At this stage, a WL is probably less cause for consolation than congratulation. :)

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:25 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
Core wrote:

At this stage, a WL is probably less cause for consolation than congratulation. :)

This is anecdotal (and the policy analyst in me hates using anecdote) but I spoke with a good 8-10 folks this weekend (mainly 1Ls and 2Ls) who were WL-admits back in the day. It does seem that Stanford draws a good chunk from the wait list group.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:27 pm

Kretzy wrote:This is anecdotal (and the policy analyst in me hates using anecdote) but I spoke with a good 8-10 folks this weekend (mainly 1Ls and 2Ls) who were WL-admits back in the day. It does seem that Stanford draws a good chunk from the wait list group.

I wonder if that's because they're hopeful that every year will be the year their yield shoots up to 60 percent or something. Is there any other logical explanation?

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:28 pm

Kretzy wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
Core wrote:

This is anecdotal (and the policy analyst in me hates using anecdote) but I spoke with a good 8-10 folks this weekend (mainly 1Ls and 2Ls) who were WL-admits back in the day. It does seem that Stanford draws a good chunk from the wait list group.

Yay! This is the kind of baseless optimism I need. I am the WL for the long haul and I really want to get in so it is nice to have hope even when it is just anecdotal evidence.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:31 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kretzy wrote:This is anecdotal (and the policy analyst in me hates using anecdote) but I spoke with a good 8-10 folks this weekend (mainly 1Ls and 2Ls) who were WL-admits back in the day. It does seem that Stanford draws a good chunk from the wait list group.

I wonder if that's because they're hopeful that every year will be the year their yield shoots up to 60 percent or something. Is there any other logical explanation?

I'm not sure. Admissions folks said the yield for those who visit is quite higher (a little over the 60 percent number you cite), but yes, I think that they suffer from the loss of many cross-admits. I don't know if a lot of folks were lying, but I heard a lot of emphatic "I'm definitely coming here" or "I'm withdrawing from H/Y/etc. this week" during ASW. Not enough to grant a 60% yield or anything, but more than I was expecting.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:34 pm

WL here, I called.

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:36 pm

Amelie wrote:WL here, I called.

i think the acceptances are done honestly and not just because I received grim news today but because there has been NO acceptances in a while besides one sketchy one on friday....

jasmoon

Postby jasmoon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:41 pm

Core wrote:
jasmoon wrote:
Core wrote:
jasmoon wrote:I am with similar stats. Are you going to ride it out Core?

Yup. You? Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Yea, at least for a while. Stanford's your first choice, right?

HLS and SLS are tied for that honor.
You? What other schools are you leaning toward?

I've been waitlisted at HYS and probably going to stay on all three. I have no preference right now, and I feel like I shouldn't even bother lol. I'm going to deposit at Michigan most likely.

And Illijah--
My WL was dated 4/15.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Illijah wrote:
Amelie wrote:WL here, I called.

i think the acceptances are done honestly and not just because I received grim news today but because there has been NO acceptances in a while besides one sketchy one on friday....

Yeah, I was expecting a rejection tbh, so can't say I'm too disappointed. I'm just glad that my cycle is finally over.

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:44 pm

jasmoon wrote:And Illijah--
My WL was dated 4/15.

Thank you

Core

Postby Core » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:48 pm

I've been waitlisted at HYS and probably going to stay on all three. I have no preference right now, and I feel like I shouldn't even bother lol. I'm going to deposit at Michigan most likely.

And Illijah--
My WL was dated 4/15.

Come to Penn with me!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”