Stanford 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tintin

Silver

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Post by tintin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:22 am

bloodonthetracks wrote:what i fear is that sending an LOCI only delayed my decision.
+1

but by now i'm just really irritated that they have had my application since OCTOBER for crying out loud. surely with that ridic amount of time to consider it they could make some kind of decision and tell me before i have to deposit elsewhere! grrr! :evil:

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:25 pm

Big congrats to the new admits! I'm at Chicago's ASW now, which has cemented my decision toward SLS even more, and I hope most of you will be there next weekend!

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:40 pm

Kretzy wrote:Big congrats to the new admits! I'm at Chicago's ASW now, which has cemented my decision toward SLS even more, and I hope most of you will be there next weekend!
Haha, what don't you like about Chicago's ASW?

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Kretzy wrote:Big congrats to the new admits! I'm at Chicago's ASW now, which has cemented my decision toward SLS even more, and I hope most of you will be there next weekend!
This was not Chicago's intention.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:12 pm

Core wrote:
Haha, what don't you like about Chicago's ASW?
I didn't dislike anything, I had a lot of amazing interactions. Sadly, they were all with other admits (and none of us were planning on attending UofC really anyway). The faculty were great (loved Nussbaum's class), the trivia contest was pretty fun, and the night out was cool. I had a fun time for 2 days and don't think it's an optimal place for me to spend 3 years (saying this even if I didn't have SLS).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:19 pm

Kretzy wrote:
none of us were planning on attending UofC really anyway
:lol: I've often wondered whether people go to ASWs just to take advantage of a free trip to somewhere.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:21 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
:lol: I've often wondered whether people go to ASWs just to take advantage of a free trip to somewhere.
Haha, I think most of us had to see Chicago, for various reasons, in order to feel content saying "yes" to somewhere else. I spoke with a bunch of folks (and a few TLS'ers) who seemed to belie that attitude.

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Kretzy wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Haha, I think most of us had to see Chicago, for various reasons, in order to feel content saying "yes" to somewhere else. I spoke with a bunch of folks (and a few TLS'ers) who seemed to belie that attitude.
Yep, I was definitely part of that crew (mwah loved meeting you kretzy!! :) ) I am now at HLS having a fantastic time, and I think I'm going to throw in the SLS towel when I return to school... tired of waiting :)

fidesverita

Bronze

Post by fidesverita » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:48 pm

notanumber wrote:
MichelledeMontaigne wrote:I don't mean to be an ass or anything, but this might be whats wrong with the U.S right now. We need more scientists, engineers, doctors but so many people end up going to law school. The market needs to fix this because I die a little inside everytime I hear of a scientist/doctor to-be going to law school. Anyways I'm sure you had good reasons for your choice and I wish you all the best.
We just as desperately need more people in law/policy who actually understand science.
Exactly. I honestly struggled with this issue, and sort of decided that if the market does need fixing (which I think you're right, it does), then it's going to take policy makers who understand both sides to do it.

Besides, there's got to be a place for those of us who love science/engineering but realize that we're just not interested in making a career out of doing it every day. At least I hope there is ...

But then my question is-- why not a public policy degree?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ProudFather

New

Post by ProudFather » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:51 am

fidesverita wrote: But then my question is-- why not a public policy degree?
Well, for one, most of the opportunities that would be available to you with an MPP would still be available with a JD, but the reverse certainly isn't true.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:01 am

nixxers wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Yep, I was definitely part of that crew (mwah loved meeting you kretzy!! :) ) I am now at HLS having a fantastic time, and I think I'm going to throw in the SLS towel when I return to school... tired of waiting :)
Great to meet you as well! Too bad you had to duck out early, we missed you at the Cubby Bear drinking games :D

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:32 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
I did -- thought hey, a free vaca in SF. Then I ended up enrolling here, because I liked it so much.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:54 pm

ndnlawdc wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
I did -- thought hey, a free vaca in SF. Then I ended up enrolling here, because I liked it so much.
I had a similar experience at the undergraduate stage. It seemed like a good excuse for a parent-financed vacation when I was accepted, but I never thought that I would actually come here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:25 pm

called stanford this morning at 9am to ask if a decision had been made on my file. the woman i spoke with told me that it was STILLLL under review and that decisions were being made on a daily basis & they would try to have them done by the end of the month. yiiiikes. i guess this is good that a decision hasn't been mailed (aka the kiss of death) but daaaaammmn, what are they waiting for at this point.

i don't know why i am putting so much effort into worrying about stanford....i guess i really don't want to move to the east coast if it can be helped, and berkeley shot me down so stanford is my only hope

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Rejected. Now the others who have been rejected are in good company.

gerghk

New

Post by gerghk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:35 pm

tintin wrote:called stanford this morning at 9am to ask if a decision had been made on my file. the woman i spoke with told me that it was STILLLL under review and that decisions were being made on a daily basis & they would try to have them done by the end of the month. yiiiikes. i guess this is good that a decision hasn't been mailed (aka the kiss of death) but daaaaammmn, what are they waiting for at this point.

i don't know why i am putting so much effort into worrying about stanford....i guess i really don't want to move to the east coast if it can be helped, and berkeley shot me down so stanford is my only hope
i am in the exact same boat.. i go to stanford right now for my MS :(

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:44 pm

gerghk wrote:
tintin wrote:called stanford this morning at 9am to ask if a decision had been made on my file. the woman i spoke with told me that it was STILLLL under review and that decisions were being made on a daily basis & they would try to have them done by the end of the month. yiiiikes. i guess this is good that a decision hasn't been mailed (aka the kiss of death) but daaaaammmn, what are they waiting for at this point.

well, stanford seems to like their own so you may have a shot!! don't give up quite yet...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:12 pm

This seems to be a common theme on TLS: Chicago ASW attendees come back posting "ehh...not so much...."

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:42 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
This seems to be a common theme on TLS: Chicago ASW attendees come back posting "ehh...not so much...."
that was kinda my reaction...still undecided but penn is looking better each day....

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:41 pm

On the Stanford blog, Dean Deal states that decisions should be finalized this week.

http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admissions/

MellonCollie

New

Post by MellonCollie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Yikes. Think that there is still time for a pre-emptive LOCI, or should I just hold onto it for the inevitable waitlist?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:15 pm

MellonCollie wrote:Yikes. Think that there is still time for a pre-emptive LOCI, or should I just hold onto it for the inevitable waitlist?
Sending a LOCI now suggests last-minute desperation, and it may not be read as carefully as it will be when the flurry of decisions and decision notifications has settled. I'd wait to make sure that it has maximum impact.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:16 pm

tintin wrote:
gerghk wrote:

well, stanford seems to like their own so you may have a shot!! don't give up quite yet...
+1. They definitely like their own.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:20 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:On the Stanford blog, Dean Deal states that decisions should be finalized this week.

http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admissions/
cool thanks for this, i had no idea that existed....

MellonCollie

New

Post by MellonCollie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:21 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
MellonCollie wrote:Yikes. Think that there is still time for a pre-emptive LOCI, or should I just hold onto it for the inevitable waitlist?
Sending a LOCI now suggests last-minute desperation, and it may not be read as carefully as it will be when the flurry of decisions and decision notifications has settled. I'd wait to make sure that it has maximum impact.

True, but a) I am desperate! and b) I want them to know this!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”