Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby tintin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:22 am

bloodonthetracks wrote:what i fear is that sending an LOCI only delayed my decision.


+1

but by now i'm just really irritated that they have had my application since OCTOBER for crying out loud. surely with that ridic amount of time to consider it they could make some kind of decision and tell me before i have to deposit elsewhere! grrr! :evil:

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Kretzy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:25 pm

Big congrats to the new admits! I'm at Chicago's ASW now, which has cemented my decision toward SLS even more, and I hope most of you will be there next weekend!

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Core » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:40 pm

Kretzy wrote:Big congrats to the new admits! I'm at Chicago's ASW now, which has cemented my decision toward SLS even more, and I hope most of you will be there next weekend!

Haha, what don't you like about Chicago's ASW?

User avatar
WhiskeyGuy
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Kretzy wrote:Big congrats to the new admits! I'm at Chicago's ASW now, which has cemented my decision toward SLS even more, and I hope most of you will be there next weekend!


This was not Chicago's intention.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Kretzy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:12 pm

Core wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Big congrats to the new admits! I'm at Chicago's ASW now, which has cemented my decision toward SLS even more, and I hope most of you will be there next weekend!

Haha, what don't you like about Chicago's ASW?


I didn't dislike anything, I had a lot of amazing interactions. Sadly, they were all with other admits (and none of us were planning on attending UofC really anyway). The faculty were great (loved Nussbaum's class), the trivia contest was pretty fun, and the night out was cool. I had a fun time for 2 days and don't think it's an optimal place for me to spend 3 years (saying this even if I didn't have SLS).

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:19 pm

Kretzy wrote:
none of us were planning on attending UofC really anyway


:lol: I've often wondered whether people go to ASWs just to take advantage of a free trip to somewhere.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Kretzy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:21 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
none of us were planning on attending UofC really anyway


:lol: I've often wondered whether people go to ASWs just to take advantage of a free trip to somewhere.


Haha, I think most of us had to see Chicago, for various reasons, in order to feel content saying "yes" to somewhere else. I spoke with a bunch of folks (and a few TLS'ers) who seemed to belie that attitude.

User avatar
nixxers
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby nixxers » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Kretzy wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
none of us were planning on attending UofC really anyway


:lol: I've often wondered whether people go to ASWs just to take advantage of a free trip to somewhere.


Haha, I think most of us had to see Chicago, for various reasons, in order to feel content saying "yes" to somewhere else. I spoke with a bunch of folks (and a few TLS'ers) who seemed to belie that attitude.


Yep, I was definitely part of that crew (mwah loved meeting you kretzy!! :) ) I am now at HLS having a fantastic time, and I think I'm going to throw in the SLS towel when I return to school... tired of waiting :)

User avatar
fidesverita
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby fidesverita » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:48 pm

notanumber wrote:
MichelledeMontaigne wrote:I don't mean to be an ass or anything, but this might be whats wrong with the U.S right now. We need more scientists, engineers, doctors but so many people end up going to law school. The market needs to fix this because I die a little inside everytime I hear of a scientist/doctor to-be going to law school. Anyways I'm sure you had good reasons for your choice and I wish you all the best.


We just as desperately need more people in law/policy who actually understand science.

Exactly. I honestly struggled with this issue, and sort of decided that if the market does need fixing (which I think you're right, it does), then it's going to take policy makers who understand both sides to do it.

Besides, there's got to be a place for those of us who love science/engineering but realize that we're just not interested in making a career out of doing it every day. At least I hope there is ...




But then my question is-- why not a public policy degree?

ProudFather
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby ProudFather » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:51 am

fidesverita wrote:But then my question is-- why not a public policy degree?

Well, for one, most of the opportunities that would be available to you with an MPP would still be available with a JD, but the reverse certainly isn't true.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Kretzy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:01 am

nixxers wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
none of us were planning on attending UofC really anyway


:lol: I've often wondered whether people go to ASWs just to take advantage of a free trip to somewhere.


Haha, I think most of us had to see Chicago, for various reasons, in order to feel content saying "yes" to somewhere else. I spoke with a bunch of folks (and a few TLS'ers) who seemed to belie that attitude.


Yep, I was definitely part of that crew (mwah loved meeting you kretzy!! :) ) I am now at HLS having a fantastic time, and I think I'm going to throw in the SLS towel when I return to school... tired of waiting :)


Great to meet you as well! Too bad you had to duck out early, we missed you at the Cubby Bear drinking games :D

User avatar
ndnlawdc
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:09 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby ndnlawdc » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:32 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
none of us were planning on attending UofC really anyway


:lol: I've often wondered whether people go to ASWs just to take advantage of a free trip to somewhere.


I did -- thought hey, a free vaca in SF. Then I ended up enrolling here, because I liked it so much.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:54 pm

ndnlawdc wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
none of us were planning on attending UofC really anyway


:lol: I've often wondered whether people go to ASWs just to take advantage of a free trip to somewhere.


I did -- thought hey, a free vaca in SF. Then I ended up enrolling here, because I liked it so much.


I had a similar experience at the undergraduate stage. It seemed like a good excuse for a parent-financed vacation when I was accepted, but I never thought that I would actually come here.

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby tintin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:25 pm

called stanford this morning at 9am to ask if a decision had been made on my file. the woman i spoke with told me that it was STILLLL under review and that decisions were being made on a daily basis & they would try to have them done by the end of the month. yiiiikes. i guess this is good that a decision hasn't been mailed (aka the kiss of death) but daaaaammmn, what are they waiting for at this point.

i don't know why i am putting so much effort into worrying about stanford....i guess i really don't want to move to the east coast if it can be helped, and berkeley shot me down so stanford is my only hope

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Rejected. Now the others who have been rejected are in good company.

gerghk
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby gerghk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:35 pm

tintin wrote:called stanford this morning at 9am to ask if a decision had been made on my file. the woman i spoke with told me that it was STILLLL under review and that decisions were being made on a daily basis & they would try to have them done by the end of the month. yiiiikes. i guess this is good that a decision hasn't been mailed (aka the kiss of death) but daaaaammmn, what are they waiting for at this point.

i don't know why i am putting so much effort into worrying about stanford....i guess i really don't want to move to the east coast if it can be helped, and berkeley shot me down so stanford is my only hope


i am in the exact same boat.. i go to stanford right now for my MS :(

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby tintin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:44 pm

gerghk wrote:
tintin wrote:called stanford this morning at 9am to ask if a decision had been made on my file. the woman i spoke with told me that it was STILLLL under review and that decisions were being made on a daily basis & they would try to have them done by the end of the month. yiiiikes. i guess this is good that a decision hasn't been mailed (aka the kiss of death) but daaaaammmn, what are they waiting for at this point.

i don't know why i am putting so much effort into worrying about stanford....i guess i really don't want to move to the east coast if it can be helped, and berkeley shot me down so stanford is my only hope


i am in the exact same boat.. i go to stanford right now for my MS :(


well, stanford seems to like their own so you may have a shot!! don't give up quite yet...

User avatar
invisiblesun
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby invisiblesun » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:12 pm

Kretzy wrote:Big congrats to the new admits! I'm at Chicago's ASW now, which has cemented my decision toward SLS even more, and I hope most of you will be there next weekend!


This seems to be a common theme on TLS: Chicago ASW attendees come back posting "ehh...not so much...."

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby tintin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:42 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Big congrats to the new admits! I'm at Chicago's ASW now, which has cemented my decision toward SLS even more, and I hope most of you will be there next weekend!


This seems to be a common theme on TLS: Chicago ASW attendees come back posting "ehh...not so much...."


that was kinda my reaction...still undecided but penn is looking better each day....

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby hiromoto45 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:41 pm

On the Stanford blog, Dean Deal states that decisions should be finalized this week.

http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admissions/

MellonCollie
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:19 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby MellonCollie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Yikes. Think that there is still time for a pre-emptive LOCI, or should I just hold onto it for the inevitable waitlist?

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:15 pm

MellonCollie wrote:Yikes. Think that there is still time for a pre-emptive LOCI, or should I just hold onto it for the inevitable waitlist?


Sending a LOCI now suggests last-minute desperation, and it may not be read as carefully as it will be when the flurry of decisions and decision notifications has settled. I'd wait to make sure that it has maximum impact.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:16 pm

tintin wrote:
gerghk wrote:
tintin wrote:called stanford this morning at 9am to ask if a decision had been made on my file. the woman i spoke with told me that it was STILLLL under review and that decisions were being made on a daily basis & they would try to have them done by the end of the month. yiiiikes. i guess this is good that a decision hasn't been mailed (aka the kiss of death) but daaaaammmn, what are they waiting for at this point.

i don't know why i am putting so much effort into worrying about stanford....i guess i really don't want to move to the east coast if it can be helped, and berkeley shot me down so stanford is my only hope


i am in the exact same boat.. i go to stanford right now for my MS :(


well, stanford seems to like their own so you may have a shot!! don't give up quite yet...


+1. They definitely like their own.

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby tintin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:20 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:On the Stanford blog, Dean Deal states that decisions should be finalized this week.

http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admissions/


cool thanks for this, i had no idea that existed....

MellonCollie
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:19 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby MellonCollie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:21 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
MellonCollie wrote:Yikes. Think that there is still time for a pre-emptive LOCI, or should I just hold onto it for the inevitable waitlist?


Sending a LOCI now suggests last-minute desperation, and it may not be read as carefully as it will be when the flurry of decisions and decision notifications has settled. I'd wait to make sure that it has maximum impact.



True, but a) I am desperate! and b) I want them to know this!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], DoYouEvenTLS, liuwenyu, ohgosh, ramp_999, smashbash and 13 guests