Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Core » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:07 pm

SR86 wrote:In! Just got the call. Wow I never thought my cycle would end like this it's great. Just as I was on my way to SFO and the HLS ASW...

Congrats!

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Core » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:14 pm

SR86 wrote:In! Just got the call. Wow I never thought my cycle would end like this it's great. Just as I was on my way to SFO and the HLS ASW...

I see you're an international student and studied physics, but is there anything else you think set you apart? We have the same LSAT score!

lawyering
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby lawyering » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:33 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
lawyering wrote:Withdrawing from SLS today. Hope that opens up a spot for someone! :D


Have you decided on Yale? :)



I'm 99% yale...but the added $ from HLS this week (I can't believe I'm turning down HLS tuition-free) has made the decision a leeetle more difficult. I'll probably wait until the end of the month to finalize it one way or the other.

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby tintin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:36 pm

lawyering wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
lawyering wrote:Withdrawing from SLS today. Hope that opens up a spot for someone! :D


Have you decided on Yale? :)



I'm 99% yale...but the added $ from HLS this week (I can't believe I'm turning down HLS tuition-free) has made the decision a leeetle more difficult. I'll probably wait until the end of the month to finalize it one way or the other.


wow, super impressive, that is a difficult decision...i don't know that i could turn down a free ride from harvard, even for yale :lol:

lawyering
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby lawyering » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:39 pm

tintin wrote:
lawyering wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
lawyering wrote:Withdrawing from SLS today. Hope that opens up a spot for someone! :D


Have you decided on Yale? :)



I'm 99% yale...but the added $ from HLS this week (I can't believe I'm turning down HLS tuition-free) has made the decision a leeetle more difficult. I'll probably wait until the end of the month to finalize it one way or the other.


wow, super impressive, that is a difficult decision...i don't know that i could turn down a free ride from harvard, even for yale :lol:


Two things (that I keep repeating to myself when I start to wonder if I'm insane to turn harvard down):

1) My heart tells me to go to Yale, and

2) I got enough need aid from Yale, and COAP will (hopefully) make the added loan debt meaningless.

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby tintin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:46 pm

lawyering wrote:
Two things (that I keep repeating to myself when I start to wonder if I'm insane to turn harvard down):

1) My heart tells me to go to Yale, and

2) I got enough need aid from Yale, and COAP will (hopefully) make the added loan debt meaningless.


yeah, i think with a degree from yale debt should not be your overriding concern, especially with IBR, etc. after doing so great you deserve to go where you really want to!

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby crackberry » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:48 pm

Congrats to the new admits!

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:51 pm

crackberry wrote:Congrats to the new admits!


+1. and was that the first reported waitlist?

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby crackberry » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:54 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:
crackberry wrote:Congrats to the new admits!


+1. and was that the first reported waitlist?

Was going to note that as well. Dutchstriker got one too, on March 31, when he told them he needed a decision quickly because of his NYU deadline.

chopsticks3092
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:04 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby chopsticks3092 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:00 pm

lawyering wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
lawyering wrote:Withdrawing from SLS today. Hope that opens up a spot for someone! :D


Have you decided on Yale? :)



I'm 99% yale...but the added $ from HLS this week (I can't believe I'm turning down HLS tuition-free) has made the decision a leeetle more difficult. I'll probably wait until the end of the month to finalize it one way or the other.


Wait, how are you getting HLS tuition-free? Just from need-based aid? Sorry if I missed something a while back.

SR86
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby SR86 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:12 pm

tintin wrote:
SR86 wrote:In! Just got the call. Wow I never thought my cycle would end like this it's great. Just as I was on my way to SFO and the HLS ASW...


way to go!! are you leaning towards HLS or SLS? that must be great to have those choices!

edit: youre #s also give me a slight hope


I'm 100% torn. I'll be going to both ASWs and hopefully that will help me decide.

Core wrote:I see you're an international student and studied physics, but is there anything else you think set you apart? We have the same LSAT score!


Now that my cycle is over I will out myself. I'm currently at Stanford doing a physics PhD, however I am quitting (with a Master's) to go to law school. I have a fellowship from Stanford (university-wide in the sciences and engineering). 2 of my LORs were from Stanford profs including my PhD advisor who wrote a very strong recommendation. I think those are the things that made my app stand out.

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Core » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:48 pm

SR86 wrote:
tintin wrote:
SR86 wrote:In! Just got the call. Wow I never thought my cycle would end like this it's great. Just as I was on my way to SFO and the HLS ASW...


way to go!! are you leaning towards HLS or SLS? that must be great to have those choices!

edit: youre #s also give me a slight hope


I'm 100% torn. I'll be going to both ASWs and hopefully that will help me decide.

Core wrote:I see you're an international student and studied physics, but is there anything else you think set you apart? We have the same LSAT score!


Now that my cycle is over I will out myself. I'm currently at Stanford doing a physics PhD, however I am quitting (with a Master's) to go to law school. I have a fellowship from Stanford (university-wide in the sciences and engineering). 2 of my LORs were from Stanford profs including my PhD advisor who wrote a very strong recommendation. I think those are the things that made my app stand out.

Awesome. Where are you leaning?

MichelledeMontaigne
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby MichelledeMontaigne » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:50 pm

I don't mean to be an ass or anything, but this might be whats wrong with the U.S right now. We need more scientists, engineers, doctors but so many people end up going to law school. The market needs to fix this because I die a little inside everytime I hear of a scientist/doctor to-be going to law school. Anyways I'm sure you had good reasons for your choice and I wish you all the best.

User avatar
sayan
Posts: 316
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:05 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby sayan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:53 pm

lawyering wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
lawyering wrote:Withdrawing from SLS today. Hope that opens up a spot for someone! :D


Have you decided on Yale? :)



I'm 99% yale...but the added $ from HLS this week (I can't believe I'm turning down HLS tuition-free) has made the decision a leeetle more difficult. I'll probably wait until the end of the month to finalize it one way or the other.


How did you get HLS tuition free? :shock:

I thought the max they give was ~30k in grants.

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby notanumber » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:56 pm

MichelledeMontaigne wrote:I don't mean to be an ass or anything, but this might be whats wrong with the U.S right now. We need more scientists, engineers, doctors but so many people end up going to law school. The market needs to fix this because I die a little inside everytime I hear of a scientist/doctor to-be going to law school. Anyways I'm sure you had good reasons for your choice and I wish you all the best.


We just as desperately need more people in law/policy who actually understand science.

User avatar
amputatedbrain
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby amputatedbrain » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:01 pm

Got the call about an hour ago. INNNNN!!!!! Really never saw this coming . . . if any other new admits are at the Berkeley ASW right now, send me a PM

User avatar
theadw
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:05 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby theadw » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:03 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:Got the call about an hour ago. INNNNN!!!!! Really never saw this coming . . . if any other new admits are at the Berkeley ASW right now, send me a PM


Congratulations to you & the others -- big day at SLS

ProudFather
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby ProudFather » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:33 pm

SR86 wrote:Now that my cycle is over I will out myself. I'm currently at Stanford doing a physics PhD, however I am quitting (with a Master's) to go to law school. I have a fellowship from Stanford (university-wide in the sciences and engineering). 2 of my LORs were from Stanford profs including my PhD advisor who wrote a very strong recommendation. I think those are the things that made my app stand out.


Wow, I guess my situation's not that unique :D

I could have written almsot exactly the same post, except I'm in a different department and I'm going to finish the PhD (since I only have one year left).

notanumber wrote:
MichelledeMontaigne wrote:I don't mean to be an ass or anything, but this might be whats wrong with the U.S right now. We need more scientists, engineers, doctors but so many people end up going to law school. The market needs to fix this because I die a little inside everytime I hear of a scientist/doctor to-be going to law school. Anyways I'm sure you had good reasons for your choice and I wish you all the best.


We just as desperately need more people in law/policy who actually understand science.

Exactly. I honestly struggled with this issue, and sort of decided that if the market does need fixing (which I think you're right, it does), then it's going to take policy makers who understand both sides to do it.

Besides, there's got to be a place for those of us who love science/engineering but realize that we're just not interested in making a career out of doing it every day. At least I hope there is ...

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Congratulations to everyone who got the call today!!! :D

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby Core » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:35 pm

CardinalRules wrote:Congratulations to everyone who got the call today!!! :D

+1
You guys seem like especially interesting applicants.
Think there will be more acceptances, or was that the end of our dream?

User avatar
rotflawl
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby rotflawl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:47 pm

Core wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:Congratulations to everyone who got the call today!!! :D

+1
You guys seem like especially interesting applicants.
Think there will be more acceptances, or was that the end of our dream?


As my ringtone sings, "Don't stop believing." Now if only my phone would ring with Stanford on the line...

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby adameus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:23 pm

congrats to all the new admits!!!!!

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby adameus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:51 pm

so, if we we look at past cycles and some of the comments people posted on LSN it looks like the last round of acceptances will probably be next week. Everyone who hasn't heard by that point will likely be a WL or a rejection.

Was anyone else really hoping to hear by this week so that they could still attend the ASW? any chance they will send out some admits over the weekend?

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:04 pm

adameus wrote:any chance they will send out some admits over the weekend?


You never know, but it seems unlikely.

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:06 pm

what i fear is that sending an LOCI only delayed my decision.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, bloomsday, fattsdomino, okf731 and 9 guests