Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
knola002

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby knola002 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:30 am

Core wrote:Anyone somewhat relieved this process is ending but extra anxious that the chance of being accepted is shrinking and shrinking with each passing day?
I mean, I'm not, at all... lol
At this point, each day sees me less and less enamored with the prospect of going to Stanford, so the decline in my prospects in matched by a decline in interest. Seat deposits are due pretty soon, I've already started to apply for housing elsewhere, and my family is pushing me to just accept. I really want to stay in CA, but having to wait this long while I have other things that need doing is ridiculous.

tintin

Postby tintin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:33 am

knola002 wrote:
Core wrote:Anyone somewhat relieved this process is ending but extra anxious that the chance of being accepted is shrinking and shrinking with each passing day?
At this point, each day sees me less and less enamored with the prospect of going to Stanford, so the decline in my prospects in matched by a decline in interest. Seat deposits are due pretty soon, I've already started to apply for housing elsewhere, and my family is pushing me to just accept. I really want to stay in CA, but having to wait this long while I have other things that need doing is ridiculous.

perhaps you should withdraw?

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:52 am

4 acceptances on LSN for 04/07. yikes.

pandaexpress

Postby pandaexpress » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:10 am

bloodonthetracks wrote:4 acceptances on LSN for 04/07. yikes.

the dream is dead. sigh.

knola002

Postby knola002 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:12 pm

tintin wrote:
knola002 wrote:

perhaps you should withdraw?
I may be pissy, but I'm not impetuous (except when it comes to early morning bitching on the Internet about a school which has every right to make me wait until August if they really want to).

ProudFather

Postby ProudFather » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:22 pm

Spoke with the admissions office this morning. All they could tell me was that they'd have all decisions rendered by the end of this month. Not particularly helpful, I know, but I thought I'd save others the trouble of asking. They said my application was still under review, which is probably code for "a letter is in the mail", but I guess until that point comes I'll still hold out some hope.

Congrats to the recent admits, let's hope there's still room for a few more of us.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:44 pm

ProudFather wrote:Spoke with the admissions office this morning. All they could tell me was that they'd have all decisions rendered by the end of this month. Not particularly helpful, I know, but I thought I'd save others the trouble of asking. They said my application was still under review, which is probably code for "a letter is in the mail", but I guess until that point comes I'll still hold out some hope.

Congrats to the recent admits, let's hope there's still room for a few more of us.

They would tell you if a letter were in the mail- they have done so to applicants who they already chose to deny. Under review means under review.

tintin

Postby tintin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:59 pm

ProudFather wrote:Spoke with the admissions office this morning. All they could tell me was that they'd have all decisions rendered by the end of this month. Not particularly helpful, I know, but I thought I'd save others the trouble of asking. They said my application was still under review, which is probably code for "a letter is in the mail", but I guess until that point comes I'll still hold out some hope.

i thought that they could even hold out until early may if they wanted to? i guess this means i should wait to put down a deposit elsewhere on the tiny fraction of a chance ill get in...

southernlaw

Postby southernlaw » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:10 pm

thanks for calling and for the information...here's hoping.

ProudFather

Postby ProudFather » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:32 pm

invisiblesun wrote:They would tell you if a letter were in the mail- they have done so to applicants who they already chose to deny. Under review means under review.

Let's hope you're right.

tintin wrote:i thought that they could even hold out until early may if they wanted to? i guess this means i should wait to put down a deposit elsewhere on the tiny fraction of a chance ill get in...

I guess technically they said they were making every effort to have all decisions made by the end of April, which does leave open the possibility of holding out until early May. I sort of assumed that if they made every effort, the would accomplish their goal :D

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:36 pm

ProudFather wrote:
I guess technically they said they were making every effort to have all decisions made by the end of April, which does leave open the possibility of holding out until early May. I sort of assumed that if they made every effort, the would accomplish their goal :D

just called S before reading your post (oops) and they told me that my app was still under review and that they were "planning to have all decisions rendered by the end of this month and were, at this point, making decisions on a daily basis." just another $.02

tintin

Postby tintin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:43 pm

owhlcn wrote:
ProudFather wrote:

just called S before reading your post (oops) and they told me that my app was still under review and that they were "planning to have all decisions rendered by the end of this month and were, at this point, making decisions on a daily basis." just another $.02

thanks for the info! im scaredddd

ProudFather

Postby ProudFather » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:45 pm

owhlcn wrote:just called S before reading your post (oops) and they told me that my app was still under review and that they were "planning to have all decisions rendered by the end of this month and were, at this point, making decisions on a daily basis." just another $.02

yes, i was also told the "decisions on a daily basis" bit. maybe that means more calls today?

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:48 pm

All this buzz is making me want to write an LoCI...even though all I have to report is continued interest, that my thesis got honors, and that I joined PBK. Sounds like that would induce no more than a giant yawn from the adcoms.

pleasepickme

Postby pleasepickme » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:50 pm

invisiblesun wrote:All this buzz is making me want to write an LoCI...even though all I have to report is continued interest, that my thesis got honors, and that I joined PBK. Sounds like that would induce no more than a giant yawn from the adcoms.

I sent a letter letting them know that I joined PBK. Not that big a deal, but something that counts as a decently prestigious honor, and it opened the door for me to tell them, "btw, I would definitely come to you pretty please let me in."

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:51 pm

ProudFather wrote:
owhlcn wrote:just called S before reading your post (oops) and they told me that my app was still under review and that they were "planning to have all decisions rendered by the end of this month and were, at this point, making decisions on a daily basis." just another $.02

yes, i was also told the "decisions on a daily basis" bit. maybe that means more calls today?

fingers crossed...

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:52 pm

pleasepickme wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:All this buzz is making me want to write an LoCI...even though all I have to report is continued interest, that my thesis got honors, and that I joined PBK. Sounds like that would induce no more than a giant yawn from the adcoms.

I sent a letter letting them know that I joined PBK. Not that big a deal, but something that counts as a decently prestigious honor, and it opened the door for me to tell them, "btw, I would definitely come to you pretty please let me in."

Hm, maybe I should as well. I know SLS is a little friendlier about e-mail communication, so would there be anything wrong with doing it by e-mail instead of letter?

ProudFather

Postby ProudFather » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:59 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
pleasepickme wrote:

Hm, maybe I should as well. I know SLS is a little friendlier about e-mail communication, so would there be anything wrong with doing it by e-mail instead of letter?

I thought there was some pretty good info a few pages back (page 93) about sending an LOCI/more info. Helped me relieve the itch to send in more stuff and just be patient (well, more patient, at least).

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:07 pm

ProudFather wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:
pleasepickme wrote:

I thought there was some pretty good info a few pages back (page 93) about sending an LOCI/more info. Helped me relieve the itch to send in more stuff and just be patient (well, more patient, at least).

for the record, i did end up sending that LOCI. but there is definitely a cogent argument against sending one. i think my particular case warranted it.

ProudFather

Postby ProudFather » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:26 pm

bloodonthetracks wrote:
ProudFather wrote:
invisiblesun wrote:

for the record, i did end up sending that LOCI. but there is definitely a cogent argument against sending one. i think my particular case warranted it.

yeah, sorry, i didn't intend to suggest that nobody should send one in. i just thought people had provided some good metrics for each individual to decide whether they should. in my case, i decided not to.
Last edited by ProudFather on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:33 pm

I do not think it could hurt to send a LOCI that consists of two short paragraphs: one that lists your recent accomplishments and one that tells SLS you will attend if you are admitted (if this is indeed true).

fomenting

Postby fomenting » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:17 pm

just called, still in the game. 1 of my friends got a call yesterday--and he doesn't know what LSN is, so we can say at least 5 got calls yesterday.

Core

Postby Core » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:34 pm

fomenting wrote:just called, still in the game. 1 of my friends got a call yesterday--and he doesn't know what LSN is, so we can say at least 5 got calls yesterday.

As of yesterday, I am "under review." LSN says I'm an "admit." That better not be a lie lol... Considering it doesn't specify URM type (AA, MX, etc.), it probably isn't so accurate.

pleasepickme

Postby pleasepickme » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:54 pm

I feel like it's probably rude to call more than once, so I'm going to restrain myself until next week, when I have a major scholarship deadline. Then I'm not just curious, I have a pressing need to know their answer!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:57 pm

I hope I get accepted just for being patient and not rocking the boat :?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”