Stanford 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
adameus

Re: Stanford 2010!!!

Postby adameus » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:37 pm

ConMan345 wrote:Just a general note about LOCIs: from what I've heard, Stanford takes them very seriously. I went to an event with the admissions deans from SLS, NYU, Cornell and Duke (you may have as well, they were touring), and Dean Deal hammered home more than anyone the importance of "staying in contact." She put it in the context of a kind of conversation. This is probably counterintuitive given how little Stanford keeps up its end of the "conversation," but is worth noting for those of you thinking of sending a LOCI, or wondering what kind of angle to take. She even left the door open for more than one if you've been waiting for awhile--she probably said "stay in touch," at least four times. Anecdotally, I have a friend who got off the waitlist in August after sending in more than one substantive LOCI.

As to the specific question at hand, my advice is to stress your interest in Stanford but lay off mentioning Yale. The fact of the matter is, many, many, many people are going to be writing that Stanford is their first choice one way or another, so the potential upside is small, while the potential downside of coming off as presumptuous, as others have mentioned, is prohibitive. Just think about all of the other people who might be waitlisted--how can you set yourself apart?

wow! this makes me very happy I sent in a LOCI last week. I didn't really have anything to update them on, I just wanted them to know I was still very interested in Stanford.

soonergirl

Postby soonergirl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Amelie wrote:Also, I'm thinking of hand delivering my LOCI next week.

NO WAY! Not enough time. They're sending rejections as fast as they can print them. You may be dealing with days or hours here. You may not, impossible to say. But email it asap. I *would,* though, include that you're stopping by later this week with a few "follow up" questions. (You can make these up later. The important thing is to get in touch as soon as possible and to reiterate interest.)

I would not mention Yale by name. I would wax humble and find a way to imply it, though.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:42 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:The fact of the matter is, many, many, many people are going to be writing that Stanford is their first choice one way or another, so the potential upside is small, while the potential downside of coming off as presumptuous, as others have mentioned, is prohibitive. Just think about all of the other people who might be waitlisted--how can you set yourself apart?

This is true, but how many of those people writing Stanford have a Yale acceptance in their back pocket?

I think you'd be somewhat crazy to not say something like "I have been accepted to some great schools [strike]like Yale[/strike], but I really want to attend Stanford." (Obviously, more formal).

I would just change this one part. It's all conjecture either way. Just because I wouldn't do it certainly can't be taken as a general rule. It might buy your application a second look, but it isn't going to be a big plus; on the other hand, someone could pretty easily think, "Who does he think he is?," because it seems like you're asking them to compete for you when they haven't even accepted you yet.

tintin

Postby tintin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:45 pm

so did those of you with missed calls get emails yet???

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Congrats to the new admits! :D

buzal3

Postby buzal3 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:10 pm

No email yet. Have any of you who've been accepted missed a call from an unknown number as opposed to a private or 650 number? How long has it taken people to receive an email following a missed call from faye?

This is quite nerveracking I must say.

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:11 pm

CardinalRules wrote:Congrats to the new admits! :D

do we have any actually confirmed admits today? There were a couple of people who missed calls from unknown numbers, but I think that is all we know.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:12 pm

No email (+/- yet) :(

*waits hopefully*

(on the positive side, no wicked envelope, either XD)

ProudFather

Postby ProudFather » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:19 pm

adameus wrote:

do we have any actually confirmed admits today? There were a couple of people who missed calls from unknown numbers, but I think that is all we know.

i thought i read either here or on LSN that she left voicemail for at least some people who missed calls.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:33 pm

emrose wrote:How long have you guys made your LOCIs? This is my first communication with SLS in 5 months, and I didn't submit a "Why Stanford" or anything like that, so my draft has come out pretty long, almost 800 words. Too much? Would anyone care to look it over after I get it a little more finished?

If you need another pair of eyes, send it my way.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:56 pm

How long does it take them to confirm they received your loci?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:00 pm

I sent mine via email; they got back to me about an hour later.

Core

Postby Core » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:04 pm

smov_operator wrote:
existenz wrote:If I got into Yale, I'd mention it.

I'd DEFINITELY mention it.

Do you think it would be appropriate for me to say something along the lines of: "I have been accepted into a number of great law schools, such as the University of Chicago Law School, but Stanford remains my top-choice law school."
UofC is no Yale, but still... What do you guys think?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Core wrote:
smov_operator wrote:

Do you think it would be appropriate for me to say something along the lines of: "I have been accepted into a number of great law schools, such as the University of Chicago Law School, but Stanford remains my top-choice law school."

Like ConMan, I say don't mention other schools by name. I think the potential upside (even with Yale) is very small and certainly not worth the potential downside (which is very large).

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:08 pm

just e-mailed my LOCI.....hope it is not too late...should i mail it as well?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:09 pm

crackberry wrote:
Core wrote:
smov_operator wrote:

Like ConMan, I say don't mention other schools by name. I think the potential upside (even with Yale) is very small and certainly not worth the potential downside (which is very large).

I agree. I don't think that name dropping other law schools will impress the admissions staff into accepting you. I know that isn't your intent, but it could be understood in that way (especially Yale).

Good luck! I won't be sending anything in because I don't have a chance anyways.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Core wrote:
smov_operator wrote:

I vote no. I think it's a bad idea to even mention Yale; you definitely don't want to mention Chicago.

Look, I don't think this is a huge deal. It's unlikely that mentioning another acceptance by name is going to make a big difference one way or the other. But, based on what little I know about how adcomms think, it's all downside and no upside. Keep other schools out of your LOCI.

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:18 pm

Last edited by Illijah on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Illijah

Last edited by Illijah on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Illijah

The LOCI to Harvard a friend of mine who was wait listed last year (and later admitted) went at length about her various other options, I think she listed them all 4+ schools. and It wasn't a great letter in spite of mentioning these schools but I believe that made her argument a lot stronger.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:20 pm

ProudFather wrote:
adameus wrote:

i thought i read either here or on LSN that she left voicemail for at least some people who missed calls.

She didn't leave a voicemail for me when I missed the call.

southernlaw

Postby southernlaw » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:22 pm

nixxers wrote:No email (+/- yet) :(

*waits hopefully*

(on the positive side, no wicked envelope, either XD)

from the best I can tell, based on LSN decision pattern from last year, they should be mailing rejection letters today/tomorrow and making offers at the end of the week (and same for next week)...

Does that sound right?

Core

Postby Core » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Dignan wrote:
Core wrote:
smov_operator wrote:

I vote no. I think it's a bad idea to even mention Yale; you definitely don't want to mention Chicago.

Look, I don't think this is a huge deal. It's unlikely that mentioning another acceptance by name is going to make a big difference one way or the other. But, based on what little I know about how adcomms think, it's all downside and no upside. Keep other schools out of your LOCI.

Thanks.
I'm working on a short LOCI. If anyone wouldn't mind reviewing it, please let me know. Any help would be much-appreciated.

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:50 pm

anyone who would like me to proof their LOCI can send it to me in a PM. I had some very helpful proofreading done by a few members of this thread last week and I would be glad to pay it forward.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:57 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
ProudFather wrote:
adameus wrote:

She didn't leave a voicemail for me when I missed the call.

I did get a voicemail, though she never said "congrats you're admitted" just "I'll email you soon."

Hopefully some of you get good news soon in time for next weeks ASW!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”